• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Service Animals

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Banned !
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA
For those who truly need and benefit from service animals, my apologies right up front. This isn't about you.

With that out of the way, I have to say that I'm seeing more and more service animals everywhere, and the skeptic in me has begun to think that the "Service Animal" class is rapidly becoming the next, "Look at me, I'm special" craze for those who would otherwise be unnoticed and uninteresting.

My wife was in the grocery store the other day and there was a woman buying groceries, with a Great Dane.
She seemed otherwise normal and ordinary, but what kind of condition does she have whereas she can't go the grocery store with a horse-sized dog?

Yesterday we went out to eat at a small cafe. A group of people were seated next to us and one of them had a large and somewhat smelly dog.
The dog laid down between their table and ours. It was essentially non-existent, other than the smell and the fact that my brother had to step over it. So what was the point of it being there? Emotional support? Was she going be suicidal in a group of six without it? It smelled like a dog. Not really what you want when dining out.

My sister-in-law told us about kids bringing their service dogs to school with them. She's a substitute teacher and tutor.
Same thing. The dogs didn't really do anything other than flop down in the floor and be in the way.
The teachers and aids had to make sure the dogs were accommodated as needed with water, bathroom breaks, etc.

Can people just be people anymore, and forgo the labels and the weird things that make them "special and different?"

I have a young friend I've been trying to help with some things. She's constantly citing her "weirdness" her "white privilege" guilt, her "sexual abnormalities", her "I may be slightly Autistic or have Asperger's", and I keep telling her, "Just be you. Be a person. Drop the stupid labels and just be you. Some people will like you and others may not. That's life. You shouldn't allow your most immutable traits to define you. Why would you?"

OK. I guess that was a rant. See opening statement.

Its the new gluten free crowd, the people that get these dogs that are not blind should have their driving licenses removed as they are too emotional to steer a 30000lb vehicle. lets see how many emotional ducks are carried on planes then

I wonder if perhaps society would actually be better if people just simply all went around with their dogs to keep an eye on them.
The dogs could socialize and keep their owners in line.

The more I see of people, the more I feel sorry for some of these "emotional support" animals that have to put in long tiring shifts dealing with crazy humans that require constant petting and emotional stabilization... They must look forward to when the precious little humans finally get to sleep so they can put their paws up for a bit and not have to deal with crazy. HA!

I have friends with a son that is autistic. They have a service dog whose sole purpose is to be an anchor. The kid is a runner. He works himself up into a state and bolts- doesn't remember doing it. The dog is tethered to him when they are outside of the house, and when he is at school. If the kid bolts, the dog sits or lays down- a full size labradoodle is quite the mass to move if he doesn't want to move. He is very rigorously trained for obedience, but unlike my dog who will obey pretty much anyone that gives a command, this dog it trained to listen to the parents and not the kid.

From what I have heard from them, having a service dog is not the sort of attention you want. Lots of looks, stares, and "What's wrong with him?" questions. Some people try to stop them for pictures/selfies. One cunt stalked the through Costco taking pictures. And, there is no "certification" or "paperwork" that you can get to show that your animal is a genuine service animal. This family is often asked to show paperwork that doesn't exist- there is no organization or bureau (Local, State, or national) that certifies service animals- when they go to stores or restaurants. Those "Service animal" harnesses you see around are just a click away through google. No qualification necessary.

That said, they really wish there was a certification process. That chick in the yoga pants who's support doberman took dump in the canned tomatoes isle pisses them off to no end. Those that actually need support animals would be the first in line to falcon-punch these douche-nozzles that cannot seem to leave the house without fluffy.

On the other hand, from the outside looking in, you have no idea whether this "normal looking person" has a genuine need for a support animal or not. I may have asked to be reseated (or left) if "smelly dog" was an issue. But, if the animal isn't causing a disturbance I file it in my "whatever" file and move on with my life.

I wonder if perhaps society would actually be better if people just simply all went around with their dogs to keep an eye on them.
The dogs could socialize and keep their owners in line.

The more I see of people, the more I feel sorry for some of these "emotional support" animals that have to put in long tiring shifts dealing with crazy humans that require constant petting and emotional stabilization... They must look forward to when the precious little humans finally get to sleep so they can put their paws up for a bit and not have to deal with crazy. HA!

I've never met a dog that could be petted/scratched/rubbed too much. But, I imagine there is a certain level of neurosis that could cause a chihuahua's heart to explode. They're would a bit tight as it is...

I saw a normal looking young lady with a Corgi as a "service dog" in my local Albertsons grocery store yesterday. It's getting ridiculous. What possible trait does a Corgi have that would make it a good choice? Besides some entitled bitch owner who thinks she's special calling it one, I'm at a loss for answers.

If I remember correctly, at the end of Marcus Luttrel's book it is mentions that he relies (relied) on an emotional support dog. I'd bet a dollar he looks pretty normal walking through a grocery store. Just some food for thought...

I saw a normal looking young lady with a Corgi as a "service dog" in my local Albertsons grocery store yesterday. It's getting ridiculous. What possible trait does a Corgi have that would make it a good choice? Besides some entitled bitch owner who thinks she's special calling it one, I'm at a loss for answers.

Hmmmm.........Did she have a "handicapped" placard that allowed her to park up front ?

Didn't see her park her car so I have no idea. Her hair was dyed pink, and she dressed like a hipster.

I had a patient who had a Great Dane service dog. She would have seizures and couldn’t tell when they were about to occur but the dog would recognize it and cue her. She would lean against the dog and he would lower her to the ground to prevent her from falling before her seizure started.

The emotional distress purse pooches are becoming a problem though

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Once saw a chic and her family in a store with a pony. this is in south OKC. I wonder how much "emotional" support this thing was actually providing.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
We have a daughter with a seizure disorder. It took about a year and a half of med trial and error to finally get it mostly under control. Currently she's on the maximum dose of Keppra, 2000 mgs twice day. She does not drive.

While we were still in the trial and error period I did some serious research into service dogs. Discovered one of the best training schools is right here in ND. Even with grants, cost of a trained dog would have been north of 10 grand, service life 7-10 years. If I recall correctly, there would have been a 2-3 week dog/owner class. Contrary to popular myth a seizure dog does not "anticipate" a seizure. It's trained to react during the seizure and be a comfort after.

I was ready to pull the trigger and go for it, but the daughter said no for one simple reason; she did not want to stand out. This time in her life was tough enough, getting a dog would have made her feel even more the leper. She's now married with two kids and is always surrounded by family and fellow employees.

This whole new trend of fake service dogs is total bullshit. Just another indication of the weak kneed limp dick emotionally immature society we have raised. When I see these people with their fake dogs I'm always tempted to ask them where was it trained, is it registered ( a real service dog is) and what their disability is. Then point out to them the shitty little purse poodle isn't a service dog, it's just your weak attempt to feel special.

A real service dog is a:
Lab
German Shepard
Golden Retriever
Other large breeds

Everything else can be considered suspect.

Serious question - For those who have animals for emotional support, what kind of shit do they go through when that animals dies? Odds are the animal goes before the person does. So what kind of a mess does that leave them in?

I don't have a service dog but found this researching my sketchy memory...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...hero-guilty-brutally-slaying-therapy-dog.html

"DASY was given to Luttrell as part of his rehabilitation - retrieving and carrying objects, helping with balance difficulties and alleviating stress.

‘It wasn’t just a pet, it meant more to me than anything,’ he told Fox News after the death. ‘I consider that dog like a daughter to me.’

Hernandez ‘got out and kicked and beat that dog and thought it was funny. They thought it was just another dog,’ Assistant District Attorney Stephanie Stroud during closing arguments."

Reactions: Tucker301
Serious question - For those who have animals for emotional support, what kind of shit do they go through when that animals dies? Odds are the animal goes before the person does. So what kind of a mess does that leave them in?

I imagine it would be tough, just like any loved pet, losing a member of the family. For those who are weak, tougher yet. Get another dog, carry on.

In the real world of service dogs, when a dog is nearing the end of it's service, another dog is brought in. Just like hunting dogs, the old master trains in the kid. When everybody's omfortable with the new kid, the master is retired and either brought back to school to help train other dogs or adopted. The dog owner and the school are very picky about whom can adopt.

There is a person where I work that has an emotional support animal. The person was in the Military so I am assuming they have a PTSD issue of some sort. Before the dog was brought in we were all told by legal what our part was in this which was basically don't interact with the dog and don't ask questions. That's really hard because it is really a cute dog and I am such a dog person.

For those who truly need and benefit from service animals, my apologies right up front. This isn't about you.

With that out of the way, I have to say that I'm seeing more and more service animals everywhere, and the skeptic in me has begun to think that the "Service Animal" class is rapidly becoming the next, "Look at me, I'm special" craze for those who would otherwise be unnoticed and uninteresting.

My wife was in the grocery store the other day and there was a woman buying groceries, with a Great Dane.
She seemed otherwise normal and ordinary, but what kind of condition does she have whereas she can't go the grocery store with a horse-sized dog?

Yesterday we went out to eat at a small cafe. A group of people were seated next to us and one of them had a large and somewhat smelly dog.
The dog laid down between their table and ours. It was essentially non-existent, other than the smell and the fact that my brother had to step over it. So what was the point of it being there? Emotional support? Was she going be suicidal in a group of six without it? It smelled like a dog. Not really what you want when dining out.

My sister-in-law told us about kids bringing their service dogs to school with them. She's a substitute teacher and tutor.
Same thing. The dogs didn't really do anything other than flop down in the floor and be in the way.
The teachers and aids had to make sure the dogs were accommodated as needed with water, bathroom breaks, etc.

Can people just be people anymore, and forgo the labels and the weird things that make them "special and different?"

I have a young friend I've been trying to help with some things. She's constantly citing her "weirdness" her "white privilege" guilt, her "sexual abnormalities", her "I may be slightly Autistic or have Asperger's", and I keep telling her, "Just be you. Be a person. Drop the stupid labels and just be you. Some people will like you and others may not. That's life. You shouldn't allow your most immutable traits to define you. Why would you?"

OK. I guess that was a rant. See opening statement.

Agreed .

and the selfishness of look at me sadly has bad repercussions on those that actually benefit from service animals.

All part of a plan.

There is a person where I work that has an emotional support animal. The person was in the Military so I am assuming they have a PTSD issue of some sort. Before the dog was brought in we were all told by legal what our part was in this which was basically don't interact with the dog and don't ask questions. That's really hard because it is really a cute dog and I am such a dog person.

Yeah, but I get the reasoning behind it. I'm a people person, and when someone brings a cute wife, daughter or girlfriend in to work with them I immediately want to go and interact with it. I get how it can make them feel threatened, but I still want to do it, and sometimes do anyway.

We're not talking about service animals here. We are talking about Emotional Support animals... Ferrets, peacocks, ponies, gerbils, goldfish...

These have nothing to do with service. They have to do with little snowflakes who are too FUBAR in their special little heads to even manage to walk around without a helicopter rodent. Since mommy can't be there... as she is picking up her Prozac anyway.

Service animals have a great and long tradition for those who genuinely benefit from them. But now, their genuine need is being usurped by a bunch of 'I want one too' types... who simply need to grow up. And it's hurting the entire concept and making it harder for the folks who genuinely need/benefit from a service animal.

As Tucker said, this is not aimed at those who genuinely need one. Autism... for sure. Seizures. Blindness and physical handicaps. Absolutely. And, BTW, for some with PTSD or combat-stress challenges... I can definitely see the need for a calming presence of a real 'service' animal that in this case, provides real support to someone who genuinely needs it. Animal/veteran pairings have worked miracles for a lot of combat service folks. There are proven and valuable places where animals are therapeutic.

But if you are 19 and too %$#ked up in the head to leave the house without your fidget spinner, your rubber pacifier nipple, your safety pin and your support-ferret... and have to take them all on a plane with you to get to college... where you have to live in an emotional support dorm full of barnyard fauna. Screw you. You should be in a rubber room somewhere rolling your turds into balls and flicking them at the door. Not walking around in open society. Grow the %$#k up, snowflakes!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I think comfort dogs are prescribed by a medical doctor. I was eating a nice steak dinner one day and a Great Dane walked by my booth followed by his master. The dog paid no attention to me so it was a well trained dog. But from what I understand they don't require any special training. But even under the ADA service dogs can't be acting up and dominating a room. Unfortunately, I had to kick one out, which was perfectly legal under the ADA because I gave the owner a reasonable alternative, which he refused. Comfort dogs aren't under the ADA. But most people, like myself, will give them the benefit of doubt as long as the dog is acting the part. But I suspect people abuse the privilege no different than doctors handing out handicap parking. They just want their dog to go most places with them no different then some people are too lazy to walk. Sooner or later enough comfort dogs will bite somebody and we will see states regulating more.

But exotic animals will get the boot by me. I'll allow a cat as long as it is behaving.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Given that I have physically disabled family members who have a legitimate need for a Service Dog (one is blind, one is paralyzed in a wheelchair), this is an issue that seriously needs to be addressed, but NO one wants to do it!

YES! There a bunch of people out there walking around with their pets falsely calling them Service Animals. They can do this because their is NO comprehensive set of guidelines or laws to keep them from doing it. As a result, the ones who really need them, are constantly catching flack for those who don't.

Check this out, and it will answer some questions, and also just flat just piss you off:
http://usdogregistry.org/faqs/

There are legitimate agencies that do train and certify Service Dogs:
http://www.cci.org/
Unfortunately that type of program is NOT a requirement.

This issue, and people who abuse Handicapped Parking, REALLY PISS ME OFF! I say that because the individuals who have legitimate needs are being disadvantaged because of a bunch of worthless @$$holes!
PS: let me catch you parking in Handicapped spot without a real need, and you will learn firsthand about all of the creative stuff that I have come up with to discourage you from doing it again!

Yes, there are comprehensive guidelines for service dogs under the ADA. It is called reasonable accommodation and it works both ways. In my example above I asked the owner if he could wait in another room rather than wait in line with everybody else and not lose his place in line. He refused so I asked him to leave. At that point he realized I called his bluff and I knew what I was doing and he had no choice at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a friend [college roommate], bipolar, Suicide at 32. Left a wife and three daughters. Always wondered if perhaps a dog could have helped him get through his lows. Agree that he should not have needed it to buy groceries.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
My buddy did his PhD on this subject. A while back I was asking questions about the differences and he sent me this reference chart. Pretty interesting piece of info. When I first looked at I noticed that the "emotional support" animals are allowed to usurp the "you can't rent my property and have an animal" rule. If my renters pulled that shit on me I wouldn't be too happy.

IMG_9934.JPG
IMG_9935.JPG

I made the comment about the dog in the restaurant, "If you're out with friends you shouldn't have an immediate need for emotional support."
My ever the wise ass brother replied, "Perhaps she was with family instead of friends?"

That would also explain why she got him good and stinky.

This isn't a new phenomenon, I've been seeing it for a long time now. I know a shitbag who actually put a service animal vest on his Chesapeake so he could bring it places it shouldn't have been able to go. The disability these animals help their owners with is "extreme entitlement issues", and we could cure them of that disability with a swift ass kicking.

Maybe we should all take it to absurd lengths to inspire some regulation.

"This is my emotional support Clydesdale, sorry about the mess in aisle 3."

Maybe we should all take it to absurd lengths to inspire some regulation.

"This is my emotional support Clydesdale, sorry about the mess in aisle 3."

I mentioned something similar to this regarding my sister in law's comments about the kids at school brining their support dogs. One in a classroom of 25 isn't that consequential, but what happens when they all bring their pets?

Our neighbors have a milk cow that had a calf.
The processors came over when it was time and shot the calf. The 5 year old twins watched the whole thing and said, "Goodbye, Snickers! See you soon!"
About a week later I rode with him to get the veal from the processors.
We got home and were shuttling the meat filled boxes into the kitchen when one of the twins came running up to me, peered into a box full of chops and exclaimed, "Welcome home, Snickers!"

Beyond the obvious humor of the story there lies a reality that these kids are being raised right. They already understand life and death and the finality of death, and to some degrees the reasons for it. Snickers didn't respawn in a video game to play another day. Snickers is in the freezer. Snickers in the crock pot. Snickers in tomorrow night's spaghetti sauce. Snickers is delicious!

Given that I have physically disabled family members who have a legitimate need for a Service Dog (one is blind, one is paralyzed in a wheelchair), this is an issue that seriously needs to be addressed, but NO one wants to do it!

YES! There a bunch of people out there walking around with their pets falsely calling them Service Animals. They can do this because their is NO comprehensive set of guidelines or laws to keep them from doing it. As a result, the ones who really need them, are constantly catching flack for those who don't.

Check this out, and it will answer some questions, and also just flat just piss you off:
http://usdogregistry.org/faqs/

There are legitimate agencies that do train and certify Service Dogs:
http://www.cci.org/
Unfortunately that type of program is NOT a requirement.

This issue, and people who abuse Handicapped Parking, REALLY PISS ME OFF! I say that because the individuals who have legitimate needs are being disadvantaged because of a bunch of worthless @$$holes!
PS: let me catch you parking in Handicapped spot without a real need, and you will learn firsthand about all of the creative stuff that I have come up with to discourage you from doing it again!
Just because you don't "see" a disability...doesn't mean someone doesn't have one. I have an Uncle that was in Iraq and he has his disabled placard. The reason he has it is because his back and hips are screwed up and he can't walk very far without being in severe pain. So think about that next time you don't "see" a disability.

Just because you don't "see" a disability...doesn't mean someone doesn't have one. I have an Uncle that was in Iraq and he has his disabled placard. The reason he has it is because his back and hips are screwed up and he can't walk very far without being in severe pain. So think about that next time you don't "see" a disability.

You answered your own comment, he has a disabled placard!

I am talking about the "Entitled" 20 & 30 year old's who have NO type of handicapped plate or tag, who jump out of the car and stroll into the store much faster than I can move.

Trust me, if I go after someone, it is very evident that they have NO disability or justification to be parking where they are.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Very true, not all disabilities are obvious. But neither are all disabilities disabilities. A friend of mine has a neighbor who “can’t work because he’s disabled”. His disability? Keeping a schedule and being told what to do makes him too anxious. He gets money for that. Cant make this shut up.

The trouble is that the ones who are obviously full of shit make the rest of us sometimes second guess those that are legit, and that’s the real crime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Very true, not all disabilities are obvious. But neither are all disabilities disabilities. A friend of mine has a neighbor who “can’t work because he’s disabled”. His disability? Keeping a schedule and being told what to do makes him too anxious. He gets money for that. Cant make this shut up.

The trouble is that the ones who are obviously full of shit make the rest of sometimes second guess those that are legit, and that’s the real crime.
Shit. It makes me anxious too, and here I am working like a sucker! :ROFLMAO:

image.jpg
This was in our local paper a few weeks back. This very entitled subject has come up at home and I felt that this article illustrated the very issue well.

Gotta watch those squirrels. I had one that was a cool little dude till one day he decided he wasn't.