• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shooting form diagnostic

maukings

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2017
Hi all,

I just read and watched a lot of these videos trying to understand what i'm doing wrong. I went shooting this past weekend at the 200 yard range. I had a nice little group with a bunch of flyers all around. Rifle was sighted at 100 yards with 168gn 308.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i63.tinypic.com\/149uolw.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I also recorded myself to see if I was flinching but now I know what else to look for.

Based on the video below and what I just learned here, I think the following need to be corrected:

I think the stock was a bit long. I constantly had to push face forward. I went down a click and it fits inside my elbow much better.
The grip lacks the U shape. I'm holding it like a handgun, gently but still like a handgun
Position, my torso is not in line with the scope. It's diagonal. Everytime I would shoot, the rifle would fly left with recoil.

Do you see anything else?

I changed my grip based on what I've seen here. Is this correct?

Thumb supports the back of the grip and finger pads pulling straight back. I have to admit this is very different from what I'm used to.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i63.tinypic.com\/rv92l1.jpg"}[/IMG2]

i dont see anything majorly wrong with your position......i would try to load the bipod a little more. recoil looked like it caused the rifle to scoot around quite a bit.

with regards to your grip.....ive never seen anyone shoot like that. personally i would hold the grip normally, but VERY loosely....like a dead fish handshake., then adjust your trigger finger so you are pulling straight back on your trigger.

Video from behind and above you would be more useful for analysis. Try shooting prone for a comparison. The "grip" (if you can call it that) does look pretty weird. Rear bag (can't tell)?

Yeah I have a rear bag. Grip does look weird but that's what I understood from The training video.

Lowlight has a 11minute video on the proper grip that shows exactly what every part of the fireing hand is supposed to be doing and how to do it. I think you need to watch that video again and contrast it to your grip. From the picture shown does not seem to me that the bottom three fingers of your gripping hand are pulling the rifels weight into your shoulder pocket. Further, when I watched the video it seemed like Frank had the lower part of his hand firmly to the rifle grip and only the top part of his hand had a gap of no more than 1/16" The web between Franks trigger finger and his thumb is near the rear of the pistol grip.

In the begining of the vid Frank shows how some students do it wrong---make sure that is not what you are copying.
Then He shows what each part of the hand is supposd to be doing---in part of that his palm may seem a bit far off the grip---but he is only showing what those bottom three fingers are supposed to be doing.

Continue watching until you see the actual fireing position of the hand. First shown around 7:33 into the video.

I watched it a few times but I wasn't sure about palm and thumb placement

Weird I could have sworn I responded to this in the morning? Nothing appears to be here. Odd...

I would not use that grip and will post an image of an AR / Pistol grip to use.

Aside from the flinch, it appears you are crushing the trigger and not using the Trigger Reset? The trigger should be held back to follow through, then click when reset