• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SOCOM762-RC or TBAC 30BA?

Johnny Sasaki

Minuteman
I'm leaning toward the 30BA, but I just recently stumbled across the new Surefire SOCOM series suppressors and to be honest they look pretty sweet.

Thoughts?

It's going on a 24" Surgeon Scalpel btw. Possibly some sort of AR-10 or m14 in the future if they don't get banned.

socom762-rc.png

0000020_30ba_300.jpeg

Re: SOCOM762-RC or TBAC 30BA?

I'd be interested to hear responses also. I made my mind up to go with the TBAC because of the overwhelming positive reviews across the web for the both the CS and the product...
I'll admit that I havent read anything negative about SF, just that they're expensive. I'd like to hear some people chime in - is SF really worth the price increase??

If you could find one of the SF for a decent price, not their retarded MSRP, that would be a hard choice. Have you checked with any of the site sponsers?

FWIW, I went with the 30P-1...

SOCOM 762and brakes have been shipping for almost a month now.

I have both in stock and use both. TBAC is hands down the best Precision Can. SF is great for AR's or Semi Auto application, accurate but not a TBAC. The new SOCOM's are leaps and bounds a head of the old Mod's. They are quieter, Lighter, and the new mounting system is rock solid.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Steve

We just purchased TBACs for our team bolt guns and couldn't be happier.

I had the exact same dilemma last week, I pulled the trigger on a Surefire762. I figured I wanted the most versatile can I could get and the Surefire mounts are sleek and attractive, not so much for the TBA. The brakes are just ugly, I wanted to support TBA since they are in Wyoming but went with a Surefire anyway.

Get ahold of Rangerwalker he has an incredible price on either can, I shopped around a lot and he had everybody beat by more then $100 on both cans.

I have a 30p1 and am super pleased, just got it and have a huge new toy stiffy still!!! But Rangerwalker71 is a great source, and Zak from TBAC is always posting on here. From what I have read of Zak's posts, he has recommended anything with a high fire volume not be run through the cans they make, were not intended to run that way. Tap these folks and get it from the horse's mouth!

Yeah, for precision work, the 30BA is a great suppressor and we have a lot of customers with them on OBR's, etc. If you want to do mag dumps, etc, titanium is not really the right material. By the way, come see us at SHOT Show.
wink.gif

Or should I say just not the 30p1 as far as high volume

I know the SOCOM is rated for 300WM but what about 300 Norma? Any long term ill effects?

I had the same problem. I did some research and came across a guy named Garin Lee on a forum. I spoke to him at length and yes he works for surefire. They have put these new cans in some crazy tests. I wanted a can I could run on sev rifles. From a 556/7.62 AR and then a bolt 300win. Lets also say if Socom is fine with it so am I. Garin is a class act and the level of CS he showed a random guy for GA was on the highest level a customer could ever ask for. I have also heard of guys trying these on caliber s larger then a 300 win and they are having no issues. Surefire does not of course recommend this

Right know I have an lmt 308 mws and a Laurie obr Heavy and light the can will run on. I am guessing I have about 4 months left. I will be sure to post a review.

Maybe I will have the 300 built by then and can test it on that as well.

Just my thoughts as I am no pro....

Rhino

I was also pulled to the Socom because of the zero poi shift.

This is a huge deal to me.

There is no such thing as zero POI shift. If you don't see a shift in POI from suppressed to unsuppressed and back, don't ever change anything about your rifle/barrel/can. You just got lucky. Best case you can realistically hope for is a vertical POI shift that is easy to remember and compensate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhinomax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was also pulled to the Socom because of the zero poi shift.

This is a huge deal to me. </div></div>

I can understand if it's on a duty gun, but with proper threads and a quality titanium can, the shift would be negligible.

Unless you're shooting comps that don't allow suppressors, would you ever shoot without it? I have a 30p-1 with an unnoticeable shift at 100yds. And since buying it, I've only fired one round Unsuppressed just to demonstrate the difference for a friend. I have no desire to shoot without it.

Those surefires are sweet looking. I would only go that route for semi-auto though.

I am in the same situation as the OP (trying to decide between the Surefire and Thunder Beast). Tagged and waiting for review.

Thanks everyone,
Josh

TBAC....

shift is repeatable (.4 straight down), customer service is outstanding, and the construction of the can is superb (seamless).

I had my 5r threaded per Thunderbeast pdf. There is no POI shift with my 30p-1 on or off at 100 yards.

Guess I got lucky.

Gotta link to that .pdf? I going to look for it, but I just got mine and I'm getting a barrel threaded this week.

Anyone seen actual prices out in the real world?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both in stock and use both. TBAC is hands down the best Precision Can. SF is great for AR's or Semi Auto application, accurate but not a TBAC. <span style="color: #FF0000">The new SOCOM's are leaps and bounds a head of the old Mod's.</span> They are quieter, Lighter, and the new mounting system is rock solid.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Steve </div></div>

Steve,

Not to venture off topic...but how so? I will be receiving my FH556-212 probably this week and curious about your statement. Are you referencing just the 7.62 cans or their whole legacy product line?

Yeah, 'leaps and bounds' isn't what I took away from the conversation with SF when I was in the market. More like better mount, improved flash retardant, no other big changes.

Looked at TBA and SRT as well.

Ended up taking a hard left, ordered a THOR Ti.

Good luck

Today I ordered the TBAC 30p-1 for my 5R and the SOCOM556-RC for my LT OBR. Now the wait begins of course but I am super-stoked that the process has begun...
smile.gif

Big shout out to Steve (Rangerwalker71) to say thank you for making it easy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasVet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today I ordered the TBAC 30p-1 for my 5R and the SOCOM556-RC for my LT OBR. Now the wait begins of course but I am super-stoked that the process has begun...
smile.gif

Big shout out to Steve (Rangerwalker71) to say thank you for making it easy! </div></div>

Looks like we are in quite a similar situation then, lol. I think we made the correct choices.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a SOCOM 7.62RC in, after the blitz of shot and few other things I have happening I can report on it. </div></div>
LL did you get a chance to test it yet?

Bumping this now that the SF has been out for awhile. I'm trying to decide between the two as well. I can't seem to find a sound test or comparison for either. I think which ever one is louder is going to be the final determining factor for me.

Last edited:
Noise reduction is actually a poor thing to just a can on. First and foremost you should consider the impact on accuracy and POI, then length and weight, then noise, then price. You'll probably struggle to hear which one is quietest, though neither have a rep for being quietest in class.

For what it is worth I have a 762K and TBAC is next.

TBAC and AAC

I ordered a TBAC for my 308 and a aac for my 5.56 ar. I need to see about what I need for my 6.5, I like to have dedicated cans for each system. Any input on a can for 6.5 creedmoor or should I just stick with the TBAC