• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me into a (arsenal?) AK

hypno02

Not Politically Correct
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2006
South Dakota
First off, I've never owned or shot an AK

I've always wanted an AK in 7.62, and by the sounds of it Arsenals are right up there with the best of the best. My question to you guys is are they worth it in terms of quality and accuracy vs. price?

I'm not looking for a durka durka afghani special that shoots 5 moa at 50 yds if that helps narrow down what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a rifle that'll never fail and be able to hit a man sized target out to 300yds. I want a quality rifle that doesn't feel like a plastic ass remington m770 that'll always work when needed. Yeah yeah we all know AI=Glock=AK. But are the Arsenal AK's worth it for the craftmanship and accuracy?

I've shouldered several gunshop AK's and the underfolder is not for me. It's like making out with a robot. (?) So I'm looking for a side folder full size stock.

At first I plan on shooting her with irons with the possibility of an aimpoint micro/cowitness in the future. (KISS)

Right now I shoot:
AIAE MkIII .308
RRA Operator 2 .223 Aimpoint
Glock 21sf .45
870 Tactical 12ga

Trying to give you guys an idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks all.

lol i shot a durka durka afghani special in afghanistan and it wasnt too bad with the regular irons, just my two cents. just one rifle out of probably millions.

Quality is very good with arsenal builds. My choice would be a vepr though...had one years ago and sold it, still kick myself for that one.

I'm not looking for a durka durka afghani special that shoots 5 moa at 50 yds if that helps narrow down what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a rifle that'll never fail and be able to hit a man sized target out to 300yds. I want a quality rifle that doesn't feel like a plastic ass remington m770 that'll always work when needed

Sounds like you're looking for a Mosin instead of an AK.

Just to be a joke in my unit in Vietnam, If a sniper was using an AK, leave him alone, you take him out and they might replace him with someone with a Mosin.

Full disclosure, I'm not an AK guy if I can have an AR instead. Having said that, off the 4 or 5 AKs I've shot, the Arsenal was the best. It felt solid, the lockup seemed tighter, and the trigger was actually nice (which shocked the shit out of me). I've fired Afghan AKs as well and the Arsenal I shot was a much nicer rifle than what I saw downrange. Still, $900 would buy a lot of .223 ammo for your RRA 223, or better yet, you can get set up with a Dillon 550 and make thousands of rounds to practice with. Just my 2 cents.

An Arsenal AK isn't any more accurate than any other, properly built AK. Personally, I think they're way overpriced for what they are. The thing is, back in the 1990's, Mr. Kalashnikov supposedly made the statement about the Arsenal SA-93 being the best AK he had ever seen (how much of that is true and how much is marketing hype, I don't know). They were a milled receiver rifle and they were outstanding in fit and finish. However, Arsenal doesn't make the SA-93 anymore. That's not to say that their current rifles aren't good, because they are. However, the finish on some of their more recent rifles is known to be very weak (will come off if you sneeze on it or look at it cross-eyed). Are they reliable? Yes. Every properly built AK is. Are they accurate? As accurate as an AK can be (which is more accurate than most internet blow-hards will give them credit for). Are there other AKs that will do the same things just as well and for half the cost? Yes. And all of this was before the crazy panic of the last couple months. I'd hate to even see what an Arsenal is priced at today.

If you want the best name in AKs and are willing to pay for it, buy an Arsenal and you will be probably be happy with it. But, don't expect it to perform any better than any other AK or you will be disappointed.

My .02

Last edited:
Don't do it ... for accuracy & forget about a red dot. To cover the 7.62x39 base I went with a couple Yugo PAP M92 pistols for under the car seat & close in stuff . 4moa don't work too good at 300 yards (Vepr 7.62x39). Arsenal (older marked Las Vegas are best). Arsenal imports the SLRs from Bulgaria. FIME Group imports SGLs from Russia. All new Arsenal SGL rifles are marked FIME Group. K-Var is the retailer & they are sister companies.
good luck

Right now is just a bad time to be looking into buying an AK. They're all way overpriced.

Personally, I like the Romanian guns in 7.62. For the money (under "normal" market conditions), they are the best buy, IMO. If you can find an SAR-1 for a decent price, I would consider that. I prefer them to the WASR, since they were built on original military receivers. Nothing wrong with the WASR, either, however. But, with ANY AK, it's good to inspect it before you buy it and/or to buy from someone who you trust to tell you the truth on it. A couple of things you want to watch out for are canted sights and canted gas blocks (and yes, I've seen this on Arsenals, too). If buying a 7.62, most Romanian guns will have a milspec, chrome lined barrel. Some people consider this a big plus, especially if using corrosive ammo (not a lot of corrosive 7.62 around like there used to be, though). I've had rifles with non-chromed, US made barrels and they were just as accurate, if not more so. The ones to watch out for are usually the 5.45 caliber guns with US made barrels. Many were not made to the correct spec and can have issues.

I see you are in Watertown. Check out Dunham's and Kones Korner to see if you can look at some AKs. There may be others, too, but it's been a while since I've been gun shopping over there (I'm near Marshall, MN. So, not far from you, at all). If you're ever in this neck of the woods, you're welcome to drop by and check out some of mine, as well. I sold many, but still have an SAR-1, a Polish PMKMS and two Bulgarian 74s.

John

Thanks John. Over the years I've seen 0 AK's at kones korner and only a few at dunhams. None recently. Not to mention I'm going to college in yankton right now and there aren't any down here. I'll be sure to keep looking.

Again, for a good option Vepr is the way go. many come with wood thumbhole stocks, but can easily be converted. With a little looking you can find them with this furniture, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330938129, and vepr also has a pretty good folding stock option. Mine was in 5.45x39, great gun. Edit- the Robinson arms Vepr is what I am talking about, no longer imported but can still be found.

Last edited:
I have an Arsenal 7.62 AK, an SGL-21, the stamped receiver. Beautiful gun that functions 100%. But the accuracy is uninspiring...a friend's Yugo SKS will outshoot my Arsenal any day of the week, even when I have the scope mounted on the Arsenal. The Arsenal is a good gun, but as far as AK's I much prefer an IMI Galil.

My favorite AK is my arsenal AK74 with a full sized stock. It is so accurate and it has no kick at all. Also the ammo for the 5.45x39 is so cheap that I can just blast away and still have money for lunch!

Personal preference is save up for a Preban AK (Polytech would be my first choice)
DSC00107-11.jpg

As far as not being accurate and all that. Larry Vickers explains it pretty well here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QABoEzyBm9w

I own a few, they are top notch awesome, very accurate. I have a vid of me somewhere shooting 600 yards with it, you can't hear the hits all the time on the GoPro but it sure hits often.

I had an old Arsenal in 97 that I shot 2 deer with, each one round, each hit where I said I was going to hit. Eye ball at 100 yards, and below jaw neck facing me a little over 100 yards. Both animals dropped instantly (was a permit to spot light deer on my in laws farm).

Arsenals mean cold hammer forged chrome lined barrels, many of the others are not. I have a Waffen Werks that is a great gun too. These 3 rifles have over 2000 rounds through each, accuracy is the same, and the triggers are better now (Arsenal doesn't use Tapco Triggers they take a bit to break in).

IMG_3063.jpg

I would grab one of the Arsenal SAM7R-61's they are currently doing a run on. I have one of those, and a SLR101s. Top notch quality. Best you will find on an AK. The barrels they use are nice, and more accurate than most people think. The milled ones cycle very smooth. Some will argue that there is no difference, but I prefer them, and mine seemed to shoot a little bit tighter groups than my stamped Arsenal I got rid of. $1300 isnt bad for a milled brand new Arsenal AK right now. I think the days of the cheap AKs, especially Arsenals, are gone. I love them. Buy one and you wont regret it.

PS- I also have a taste for the nicer stuff in the gun world, and when it came to AK's Arsenal fit the bill perfectly for me. Only downside I see is dont use harsh chemicals to clean it, because the factory finish wont take it very well.

I have owned 3 Arsenal AK's (SM 7, SLR 105 and a SLR 106FR) a WASR 10, a CAI Yugo 70, Poly Tech Legend and a Valmet 62. All except were minute of man @ 100 yards except for the Valmet which would shoot consistent 2" groups @100 yards with the old yellow box Norinco ammo. The Arsenal's are marginally more accurate than the others and the ones I owned had excellent fit and finish. Are they worth the extra $$$? I guess that's up to the individual. I sold all but the 106 ( I wish I hadn't sold the Valmet back in the 90's) which is in 223 and the most accurate of the rest.

Never thought I would own an AK but picked up the Arsenal when they were on special a few years ago and can't beleive how smooth it is. No comparision to any other that I have ever handled.