• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Talked to Kelby while ordering the March 1-10x24

CanPopper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Houston, TX
I got some interesting tidbits to share with the Hide.

1. The March 1-10 can be ordered with daytime visible illuminated reticle. It cost another $120 or so.
2. Specifically, I asked about the FFP version. Kelby told me they will be demoing a 3.5-22 March scope at the next Shot Show. He said March couldn't get FFP to work with their crazy 10x erector ratio so it will be a different scope
3. 3 months wait for my order.

Re: Talked to Kelby while ordering the March 1-10x24

That is interesting. I'm saving for 1.8-10x scope now so I am very interested in this new offering by March.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... He said March couldn't get FFP to work with their crazy 10x erector ratio so it will be a different scope...
</div></div>

By " it will be a different scope" do you mean the FFP won't be available on the 1-10x, or do you mean the 1-10x FFP won't be anything like the current 1-10x SFP model?

He means they won't be able to do FFP in a 1:10 magnification ratio. 1-10,2-20,3-30,4-40.

3.5-10 is a 1:3, 4-16 is 1:4, March's 1:10 is a tough ratio to pull off. True 1X is rare enough in a 1-4, let alone a 1-10.

Shame, a nice FFP 1-10x may be able the ideal scope for a SPR or 308 carbine.

If you talk to them again, can you ask if the 2.5-25x might work as a FFP scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He means they won't be able to do FFP in a 1:10 magnification ratio. 1-10,2-20,3-30,4-40.

3.5-10 is a 1:3, 4-16 is 1:4, March's 1:10 is a tough ratio to pull off. True 1X is rare enough in a 1-4, let alone a 1-10. </div></div>

So there's not a lot of competition for the USO 1.8-10x then?
smile.gif

I'm curious about that ratio. I've been away from optics for a while but I remember they used to warn about high mag ratios being a serious compromise to image quality (at all powers). On the other hand I keep hearing that 'with todays scopes' the variables are every bit as good as the fixed power scopes. But I think the bigger ratios must introduce more complexity, or cost or less druability, right?

I've also heard that parallax adjustment isn't really needed much until you get past 10x but some mfgs offer it.

It seems like 10x is a boundary of sorts, it's one set of pros & cons below and a completely different ball game above that power.

1.8-10 is a 1:5.55 ratio-way different animal.

"they" parrot a lot of things "they" hear and read without any practical experience. USO 1.8-10 is a great scope. I prefer the 3.2-17, but then again I'm a guy that shoots smallbore offhand with a 24X....

They right tool for the job is just that-the right tool for the job.

I did inquire about the 2.5-25 scope going FFP. Answer is no since that one has the 1:10 ratio as well.

Personally, I figure the 1-10 not being FFP is no big deal (though for the 2.5-25 would be). Reason is I'll either be running it at 1x for CQB or 10x which then the ranging hash marks will come into play. Most important is to have daytime illumination for a fast on target scope.