• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US POW released after 5yrs

GBTX01

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2001
Dallas, TX
News from The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The only American solider held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed and is back in U.S. custody after nearly five years of captivity, U.S. officials said Saturday.

The officials said the Taliban agreed to turn over Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl in exchange for the release of five Afghan detainees from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The transfers happened after a week of intense negotiations mediated by the government of Qatar, which will take custody of the Afghans.

In a statement, President Barack Obama said Bergdahl's recovery "is a reminder of America's unwavering commitment to leave no man or woman in uniform behind on the battlefield."

Officials said the Taliban turned the 28-year-old Bergdahl over Saturday evening, local time, in Afghanistan. Several dozen U.S. special forces were involved in the exchange, which took place in eastern Afghanistan, near the Pakistani border.

Bergdahl was in good condition and able to walk, according to the officials, who insisted on anonymity in order to describe the details of his release. Bergdahl is expected to be transferred to Bagram Air Field, the main U.S. base in Afghanistan, then on to the United States.

Bergdahl, of Hailey, Idaho, had been held by the Taliban since June 30, 2009.

Still a lot of questions surrounding this one. E-3/4 out by himself walking around in less than secure area and is taken.......hmmm. Hell, when I was on ships in the Navy we had to have one or more liberty buddies to even leave the ship in America friendly areas. Would love to sit in on the debriefing for this one.

I remember when the first video surfaced. I've checked on the situation from time to time. I've always wondered if he would ever be back home. I sure am happy he is.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have been regularly checking up on his status since he was reported captured. Always wondered if he would be returned, and alive at that. Good to hear he is back safe. Must be an unbelievable relief for him and his folks.

Glad he is coming home after so long. Lots of bad scuttle butt on the circumstances surrounding his capture. But none the less glad he's back.

According to the latest news report:

The detainees are believed to be the most senior Afghans still held at the prison. They are believed to be:
—Abdul Haq Wasiq, who served as the Taliban deputy minister of intelligence
—Mullah Norullah Nori, a senior Taliban commander in the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif when the Taliban fought U.S. forces in late 2001
—Khairullah Khairkhwa, who served in various Taliban positions including interior minister and had direct ties to Taliban leader Mullah Omar and Osama bin Laden
—Mohammed Nabi, who served as chief of security for the Taliban in Qalat, Afghanistan, and later worked as a radio operator for the Taliban's communications office in Kabul
—Mohammad Fazl, whom Human Rights Watch says could be prosecuted for war crimes for presiding over the mass killing of Shiite Muslims in Afghanistan in 2000 and 2001 as the Taliban sought to consolidate their control over the country.

Last edited:
It'd be nice if the Qatari gov't could put some kind of tracker on them, so they could play catch with a Hellfire once released

Sounds like the drone pilots are licking their chops.
Thank you God for one less MIA.

Trauma1

I am going to reserve my opinion about the return until more is known. I found this reply while reading other responses and while I am not holding this as fact, it does bring up some issues.

"This guy deserted. I was in the same battalion. The 1-501st part of the 4-25 IN (ABN). He left his weapon and his gear and disappeared. What this article does not tell you is that night patrols got sent out once we realized he was gone. One of those patrols hit an IED and two Geronimo's got killed. So go tell the families of the two dead paratroopers that this guy paid his dues... He needs to face UCMJ, he deserted, got himself captured, and created thus problem for himself, his family, and all the poor service members who have to try to save him."

Trading is not good. We have had a policy of not negotiating because it will encourage this activity even more. They got 5 to 1. How many will they get for the next one? What if it's a female? We still have people in bad places, not only in Afg.

Acording to the latest news report:

The detainees are believed to be the most senior Afghans still held at the prison. They are believed to be:
—Abdul Haq Wasiq, who served as the Taliban deputy minister of intelligence
—Mullah Norullah Nori, a senior Taliban commander in the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif when the Taliban fought U.S. forces in late 2001
—Khairullah Khairkhwa, who served in various Taliban positions including interior minister and had direct ties to Taliban leader Mullah Omar and Osama bin Laden
—Mohammed Nabi, who served as chief of security for the Taliban in Qalat, Afghanistan, and later worked as a radio operator for the Taliban's communications office in Kabul
—Mohammad Fazl, whom Human Rights Watch says could be prosecuted for war crimes for presiding over the mass killing of Shiite Muslims in Afghanistan in 2000 and 2001 as the Taliban sought to consolidate their control over the country.

These mother fuckers should've been executed a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It worked once, why not two,three a hundred times? Now that the low life crap know they can "trade" an American for the release of at least 5 if not more of their ilk, I predict we will be seeing a lot more trading!!!! Next time maybe some American civilians on vacation in Europe, or any place else, even here in the states. This "trade" will have long term implications for the security of every American. I wonder if the administration would release convicted criminals from our prisons, in exchange for the release of some hostages? If so, every ganged up piece of shit, will have his fellow gang members kidnapping and offering exchanges. This is the worst road we could have gone down.

I would like to believe we had the foresight to (GPS) chip them before we kicked them. However considering that Tangos are in fact a tool that are used and supported by our gov (see Syria / review history) I have a feeling these fine gentlemen will be up to speed in no time.

It worked once, why not two,three a hundred times? Now that the low life crap know they can "trade" an American for the release of at least 5 if not more of their ilk, I predict we will be seeing a lot more trading!!!! Next time maybe some American civilians on vacation in Europe, or any place else, even here in the states. This "trade" will have long term implications for the security of every American. I wonder if the administration would release convicted criminals from our prisons, in exchange for the release of some hostages? If so, every ganged up piece of shit, will have his fellow gang members kidnapping and offering exchanges. This is the worst road we could have gone down.

This has happened already. Just recently a jailed gang thug from the Atlanta area had a man abducted and held hostage. The only upside to this happening here is that our jail phones are bugged and mail is screened. The man was recovered and three other thugs went to prison. But we are talking about the bottom dwellers of our society. So this could start happening more. I think that most of the time the thugs just want revenge and send hit squad out to kill the DA or other attorneys involved in their case. Such was the case in Texas and California last year.

I hope after his debrief he goes straight to a Court Martial and is found guilty of desertion during a time of war and sentenced to death.
A lot of money was spent and lives lost looking for that piece of shit.
finally captain slap nuts in the white house should be brought up on charges for illegally making that trade.

We have a policies in place that prevent these "deals" . Once again Obama has bypassed protocol . We traded 5 terrorists that no one had the balls to put on trial and execute .They were a political thorn in the Presidents side .The deserter that has already cost the life of American Soldiers had the balls to be on TV with his hero looking like a terrorist with full beard /hair just like his "captors" the only thing missing was both their turbans. My question is how many lives will this shit cost. Not if but when and how many. Please do not fault the system . The system has yet again been defiled by a leader who is hell bent on his own path no matter how much it hurts our Country and those who protect it. How much more will Americans take of these antics before we impeach this man who puts himself above our Country and its Constitution and is hell bent on altering the very Constitution he is sworn to uphold.

This whole deal stinks like shit. Between the circumstances surrounding his capture, the trade to get him back and his fathers public opinions something isn't right. It feels like we the people are being fed bullshit once again.

Our policy as a nation in dealing with our own POW/MIA's is tragic at best. The number of American servicemen who were lost then swept under the rug leave a stain on the fabric of our society that will remain for all time. As poor, no criminal as this countries treatment of its Vets is the utter disregard for the POW/MIA's is a thousand times worse. In this case I hope it turns out well for this young man, I further hope justice is served.

Some where in our great country is a town where all the unpunished douche bags live. Our Government pays their way because some Leader from the 3rd world made them a promise. I this is not the first time we have been sold down the river by a shit Admin. This Deserter and his whole family will soon be there after the hoopla dies down. Along with a pirate, a bomber ,a guy with a bunch of secrets, a trigger happy Dr. and a long list of those we never hear about. Every modern day leader has back room deals "for the common good" Our current Clown just is not worried who knows about his.

I do not see this as a POW/MIA issue. I see this as a traitor that was part of a hidden agenda of a corrupt Leader. Just another "I did a good thing" with a rotten center trying to boost approval of a shit party

I do not see this as a POW/MIA issue. I see this as a traitor that was part of a hidden agenda of a corrupt Leader. Just another "I did a good thing" with a rotten center trying to boost approval of a shit party

This is spot on. That's why it is important for them to push the captive narrative. Who can criticize a govt who just freed a POW??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been around POWs that were fresh for their capters, None and I mean NONE ever looked as good as this guy. Some where plants w/ trackers to find the main group that had only been there 48 hrs, this guy was held for 5 years and looked that good, POW my ASS.

There is much more to this story:

Bowe Bergdahl the Deserter Released

Excerpt:
"Personally, I am happy for Bob and Jani Bergdahl. Their son is alive. They get to wrap their arms around their son, but they do so knowing his actions are the reason the families of PFC Morris Walker, PFC Matthew Martinek, SSG Clayton Bowen, SSG Kurt Curtiss, SSG Michael Murphrey and 2LT Darryn Andrews welcomed home a flag-draped coffin."

If I was still on Active Duty I would stop by S.E.R.E. School and see if they are now adding badminton to the LTG. Someone should slap that POW/MIA bandana off his dads head as his son does not deserve the connection.

Hopefully someone shoved some tracking devices up those guys asses and then blow the shit out of them later.

Those guys are going to disappear as soon as they get off the plane and we won't hear about them again until they take credit for some attack. Sad thing is, I am becoming so use to being disappointed by my own government that nothing really surprises me anymore.

All I'm going to say is that I've watched my buddy deal with the loss of his good friend SSG Bowen for a while now. Screw bergdahl, he is a traitor and got a lot of good people killed.

So much for the rule of law. Now I guess it will be 10 of ours for the rest of Guantanamo Bay... I guess that's one way you can closes it down!!!

The names of those killed looking for the deserter.

Personally, I am happy for Bob and Jani Bergdahl. Their son is alive. They get to wrap their arms around their son, but they do so knowing his actions are the reason the families of PFC Morris Walker, PFC Matthew Martinek, SSG Clayton Bowen, SSG Kurt Curtiss, SSG Michael Murphrey and 2LT Darryn Andrews welcomed home a flag-draped coffin.

The article.
Bowe Bergdahl the Deserter Released

I hope he gets to the first Army base and finds himself being prosecuted for desertion. He willingly walked off a combat base/fob/cob out into the unfriendly place. There is also record of him talking about desertion before that incident as well. Not only should he be prosecuted, but the SOG, and any individual who allowed him to freely leave a combat base be held accountable.

"We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small
outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an
Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there.
The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little
strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little
journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought
anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone.
We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit,
and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a
knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american
walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our
voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to
realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out
Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest,
where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots
were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day
mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was
spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were
putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we
knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find
him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG
Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn
Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many
others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking
for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The
Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our
movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in
danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted
while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more
than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told
the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles
and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities.
The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a
good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it.
Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for
his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the
truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his
family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either
way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying
on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he
ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter
and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier
or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are
growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to
face that truth someday."

Im enraged by this. This cocksucker in chief is just stirring the pot. There are guys coming forward that were in his unit. They had to sign non disclosure forms on this douchebag in their interviews because the brass were afraid of it getting out soon after it happened. because his actions led to no less than the death of 6 soldiers looking for him. And a couple claim attacks got very intense in the weeks following. Like the enemy knew patrols and had inside knowledge. And this is on cnn.

Also its a known fact he converted to islam and it looks like his dad did also. They were in communication by letter during his time. How did you guys like allah getting praise in Arabic from the white house lawn.

Fuck this im fuming. This is gonna compromise our men and women, we don't fucking deal. Thats rule #1. In my whole life i don't remember us doing this with terrorist. Other countries yeah. Watch in the coming months as abductions go up

My take on it is that the released detainees have been out of circulation for so long that there is no way they can be any more effective against us than the current Taliban leadership. They don't have super-terrorist powers. So the risk for letting them go is low.
It's also a bit ironic that the same people who made such a big stink about labeling them as prisoners of war, in order to prevent the closing of Gitmo, are now yammering about how the President circumvented the rule of law. If they'd been properly tried and sentenced, he would not have been able to release them without a federal judge signing off on it. So yeah, that's just a tad comical.
You can't have it both ways.

Everybody has respect for Israel's hard-nosed stance on dealing with terrorists, yet this is something that Israel does with frequency.
List of Israeli prisoner exchanges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Politicians will always bicker over who did what. That's what politicians do. They are best ignored.

I, for one, will wait until after what I can only imagine is a thorough debriefing *and* the guy's inevitable first major sit-down media interview before casting judgement.

Interesting link. Also found this:
Khaatamul Anbiya bin Daleel ul Khyayraat aka "Donkey Master"

<tbody>
</tbody>

and had to laugh..... Though his page does not exist.

So, five years as a hostage to a people not known to keep hostages very long? This guy will bear very close monitoring for a loooong time. Nevertheless, welcome home.
We should have given all the released prisoners rabies shots. Takes about a month to kick in, 100% fatal if untreated. We've set a horrible precedent and put many lives at risk.

1911fan

POW??????? When did criminals suddenly become POWs????? I am surprised at the number of Veterans (on this board and elsewhere) that do not remember their training. We, along with most civilized countries in the world, even many that are not civilized, do not classify NON UNIFORMED sappers as POWs. In short, no uniform, caught attacking US Forces, can be executed. This is another dangerous road, what if the Boston Bomber declares himself a soldier for Allah? Would anyone with a right mind think we shouldn't treat him as a criminal (murdering terrorist) but now as a POW? POW status is giving to uniformed military, and no one else. Trading a deserter for 5 criminals is accurate, but to suddenly call these five pieces of shit, POWs implies they were uniformed combatants. On top of trading with terrorists (which I believe has opened the flood gates, the number of people to be kidnapped and traded will skyrocket), we have just diminished the status of POWs, not in keeping with long standing Treaties and agreements. Furthermore, any violation of a treaty with the US, combat related or not, has just been made mute. If we can just change treaties without any agreement from the other signatories, they why can't they do the same thing? We've just begun to see the fall out.