• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR/F-Class Action

Setting up, breaking in and testing the rifle from Reload10 (post #2805) that we got for a happy customer. We put on a Vortex Golden Eagle scope, and did a 250-round "seasoning" with SK Standard Plus ammo at 50 yards. We took a borescope out with us and soaked/scrubbed just the chamber every 50 rounds along the way. Chamber soaking was with BoreTech C4 for about 5 minutes, then chamber scrubbing with a nylon brush, then ran a single dry patch down the barrel using a PatchWorm. Here are the last 80 rounds from that 250-round session. We tried to pay attention to the wind so that each 5-shot group was consistent within itself. Next step will be to test with several lots of SK Rifle Match and Lapua Center-X we have sitting around here. We will probably put on a tuner, but it may not make that much difference since there's not much vertical spread most of the time. We're pleased with the performance at this point -- it's in the accuracy range we've come to expect from Vudoo. Measurements for group size were done using OnTarget TDS.

FirstOuting4_analysis_sm.jpg

Attachments

• FirstOuting4_analysis.jpg
    FirstOuting4_analysis.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Setting up, breaking in and testing the rifle from Reload10 (post #2805) that we got for a happy customer. We put on a Vortex Golden Eagle scope, and did a 250-round "seasoning" with SK Standard Plus ammo at 50 yards. We took a borescope out with us and soaked/scrubbed just the chamber every 50 rounds along the way. Chamber soaking was with BoreTech C4 for about 5 minutes, then chamber scrubbing with a nylon brush, then ran a single dry patch down the barrel using a PatchWorm. Here are the last 80 rounds from that 250-round session. We tried to pay attention to the wind so that each 5-shot group was consistent within itself. Next step will be to test with several lots of SK Rifle Match and Lapua Center-X we have sitting around here. We will probably put on a tuner, but it may not make that much difference since there's not much vertical spread most of the time. We're pleased with the performance at this point -- it's in the accuracy range we've come to expect from Vudoo. Measurements for group size were done using OnTarget TDS.

View attachment 8032126
Call me stupid, BUT what is MOA you are referring to? I know 30MOA on scope mount. Fred

Call me stupid, BUT what is MOA you are referring to? I know 30MOA on scope mount. Fred

MOA on a picatinny rail refers to an amount of "pre-adjustment" of elevation tilt for your scope.

MOA as I'm referring to it on the target sheet is the amount of center-to-center bullet hit spread at the distance of the target. So with my target at 50 yards, if there is a 1 Minute of Angle center-to-center hit spread, that would be 1/2-inch at the 50 yards distance. Likewise, a 1 MOA spread at 100 yards would be 1 inch. And a 1 MOA spread at 200 yards would be 2 inches. It's a way of "normalizing" spread for distance.

Actually, what I just quoted are close approximations that we commonly use to make it easy. One Minute of Angle spread at 100 yards isn't actually an exact 1.0 inches, it is 1.047 inches. Likewise at 50 yards, a 1 MOA spread isn't exactly 1/2 inch, it's 0.5235 inches. But those "exact" numbers are used in what's shown on my target.

If I mis-understood your question, let me know! :) MIKE

Last edited:
My old fingers have trouble getting the cartridges out of the Lapua or SK boxes one-by-one to load into magazines or to take out and put in a bench tray for single shot feed. Since the lube can be messy, I don't like to just dump them out, so I've made a simple fixture that you put the 50-round tray in right out of the box, and it raises the shells up -- with the rows in alternating heights -- to make them easy to grab without having to pry them up with my fingernails. Not a big deal, but takes care of a small annoyance. The staggered rows are tall enough so that you can use it for single-shot direct loading if you don't have another bench block you like to use. They're available in Classifieds with my other Vudoo items, HERE.

View attachment 8013168
I got 2 different trays,bolt tool, and 3 pens. Two yellow pens broke within 15 minutes. Sent email, 4 pens were in the mail that day. Mike figured it bad plastic?, but very fast service. The rest looked real good, no complaints.
Fred

Reactions: Panther
I know of no cons except this chamber won't shoot Eley as good. IMO not sure why anyone would want to shoot Eley anyway;)
I been having my barrels done with this reamer for the last 7-years.

Lee
One reason to shoot Eley is because it's good ammo. Another is it's available and can be purchased in different lots from Killoughs which makes lot testing possible without having to send your gun off to never never land.

One reason to shoot Eley is because it's good ammo. Another is it's available and can be purchased in different lots from Killoughs which makes lot testing possible without having to send your gun off to never never land.
Not saying it isn't good ammo, but question was about the Nevius chamber. as I stated-except this chamber won't shoot Eley as good. I should have said maybe why would anyone shoot Eley in this chamber.
where is never never land I thought MJ was dead?:unsure:

Lee

Reactions: Sagittarius
Not saying it isn't good ammo, but question was about the Nevius chamber. as I stated-except this chamber won't shoot Eley as good. I should have said maybe why would anyone shoot Eley in this chamber.
where is never never land I thought MJ was dead?:unsure:
I agree with what you are saying. Doesn't really make since to shoot Eley in a chamber that you know is designed around Lapua ammo but that's exactly what I'm doing and this is why. I can't lot test center x. I just order random bricks and and hope it shoots. Some shoot good and some don't and some shoot really good. Problem is I haven't been able to reorder those really good lots. . I have another gun that is designed around Eley and I ordered 10 different lots of Black box and 10x from Killoughs to lot test. Since i already had the Eley I decided to run it through the Nevius chambered gun also. I found 2 lots of black and one lot of 10x that shot as well or better than any center X I ever ran through the Nevius chamber! That proved to me that you never know what ammo a gun likes no matter what chamber barrel combination, until you lot test. As to the never never land. I was referring to the Lapua test centers. Long waits and uncertain results! Have read a number of your post and I do respect your opinions as a shooter!

Reactions: fredfish
I understand about not being able to test lots. and yes, if you test enough lots of Eley I am sure you can find something that will shoot good in a Nevius chambered barrel. but it goes for any ammo brand.

Now I have to question is your barrel's chamber done with a Nevius reamer or was done for Lapua. does it have a 1.5-degree leade? or just a 2-degree which was done deeper. the latter can shoot Lapua but it does take more testing from what I have been reading. I question the chamber if your rifle came from Vudoo as far as I know they don't use a Nevius reamer.
how much engraving are you seeing should be 0.030-0.040 and barely visible. keep in mind a tighter bore barrel will change engraving length if you just use the average stick out of 0.075. I have a Benchmark that engraved past the first band. and had to use 0.053 stick out to get the 0.030 engraving. I confirmed this with Kevin as to why I was seeing a different engraving.
I am only 5-hours away from the Mesa center but just can't find the time to go there and test. I been buying bricks and cases blind for the last 18 months and have had great success. one gave me my first ARA win, another my best club score of 250-21X, shot with Lapua Pistol King. this past Oct. agg. 2231 and a 2400 in an ARA match. all three examples were with different lots and rifles all with Nevius chambered barrels.
my most recent CX purchase a lot speed I have never shot before a 323 shot this target in 39-degree temperatures. I consider it pretty good for something not lot tested. something you should be doing if you are not checking and that is OAL of the live round. this last case I bought is the most consistent from a brick 7 boxes measured within 0.005 of each round 2 boxes were within 0.010 of the 7 boxes and 1 having a mixture range of 0.015-0.025. and looking at the scores being shot in ARA tells me Lapua in general has been putting out very good lots. if look closely at the one of the pictures you can see the number of 700-705 on the boxes that was the measurements, I got notice the Lapua PK has the same numbers.
also, since we are in the BR thread are you using a tuner might be the setting is not what the barrel wants.

Lee

Attachments

• Jan. 8, 2023 - Copy.jpg
    Jan. 8, 2023 - Copy.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Jan.8,2023.jpg
    Jan.8,2023.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 146
I understand about not being able to test lots. and yes, if you test enough lots of Eley I am sure you can find something that will shoot good in a Nevius chambered barrel. but it goes for any ammo brand.

Now I have to question is your barrel's chamber done with a Nevius reamer or was done for Lapua. does it have a 1.5-degree leade? or just a 2-degree which was done deeper. the latter can shoot Lapua but it does take more testing from what I have been reading. I question the chamber if your rifle came from Vudoo as far as I know they don't use a Nevius reamer.
how much engraving are you seeing should be 0.030-0.040 and barely visible. keep in mind a tighter bore barrel will change engraving length if you just use the average stick out of 0.075. I have a Benchmark that engraved past the first band. and had to use 0.053 stick out to get the 0.030 engraving. I confirmed this with Kevin as to why I was seeing a different engraving.
I am only 5-hours away from the Mesa center but just can't find the time to go there and test. I been buying bricks and cases blind for the last 18 months and have had great success. one gave me my first ARA win, another my best club score of 250-21X, shot with Lapua Pistol King. this past Oct. agg. 2231 and a 2400 in an ARA match. all three examples were with different lots and rifles all with Nevius chambered barrels.
my most recent CX purchase a lot speed I have never shot before a 323 shot this target in 39-degree temperatures. I consider it pretty good for something not lot tested. something you should be doing if you are not checking and that is OAL of the live round. this last case I bought is the most consistent from a brick 7 boxes measured within 0.005 of each round 2 boxes were within 0.010 of the 7 boxes and 1 having a mixture range of 0.015-0.025. and looking at the scores being shot in ARA tells me Lapua in general has been putting out very good lots. if look closely at the one of the pictures you can see the number of 700-705 on the boxes that was the measurements, I got notice the Lapua PK has the same numbers.
also, since we are in the BR thread are you using a tuner might be the setting is not what the barrel wants.

Lee
Well, several questions to answer. Making me have to think which my wife says is not always a good thing! The gun I'm referring to is a custom build on the Vudoo 360 action . I do own a Vudoo and also another custom build on the 3lug Turbo action. The barrel on the 360 action was chambered with the Nevius reamer 1.5 degree leade. Very little engraving if any on both Lapua and Eley. I'll have to say that both the custom build with the Nevios chamber and the Vudoo are no way near as ammo sensitive as my turbo which is supposed to have a Calffee chamber designed for Eley. It's either do or die with the Turbo You have to lot test. All three guns carry Harrels tuners . No threads on my barrels! I have not checked OAL since the ammo crunch hit, but it is one aspect of rimfire ammo we have some control over. I do need to start back.

Reactions: nakoa01
Well, several questions to answer. Making me have to think which my wife says is not always a good thing! The gun I'm referring to is a custom build on the Vudoo 360 action . I do own a Vudoo and also another custom build on the 3lug Turbo action. The barrel on the 360 action was chambered with the Nevius reamer 1.5 degree leade. Very little engraving if any on both Lapua and Eley. I'll have to say that both the custom build with the Nevios chamber and the Vudoo are no way near as ammo sensitive as my turbo which is supposed to have a Calffee chamber designed for Eley. It's either do or die with the Turbo You have to lot test. All three guns carry Harrels tuners . No threads on my barrels! I have not checked OAL since the ammo crunch hit, but it is one aspect of rimfire ammo we have some control over. I do need to start back.
IME with the Nevius chamber once you know which OAL it likes you can pretty much predict how a lot will shoot just by measuring. I done it many times. I get excited when I come across a lot that has very little variances between rounds.

Lee

As a non competitor and one year only rifle shooter, I've been very happy now with the V22s. I've finally managed to score 250s and 2500s on the IBS and ARA factory targets indoors. I also got my highest ever 2200 on the ARA Unlimited target and a 250 on the IR 50 target. So now have to work on my technique as that ARA Unlimited target is murder on my eyes.

The biggest issue is that it shoots well with Lapua and SK, but the bolt is really hard to close on all Eley Match or 10x, so basically I stick to Lapua products. But given its precision, I can live with that.

Not surprised Mike isn't here anymore since he sold his interest in Vudoo.
Heard rumors he was bringing out another new rifle and hoped it was true.

I'm aware of that, Rob, but he doesn't seem to be the go-to guy for Vudoo anymore.

Not anything new but questions like above on present products he can help as he is a helpful guy. Just because he left the company doesn’t mean all his knowledge ran out his ears. 😉

OK 👍 here’s a question for anyone that has solved this irritating issue. HOW DO YOU FIX THE FIRING PIN TO BE CONSISTENT AND WITH NO FTF TROUBLE?
There are a number of guys on here who may be able to help if you want to give it a shot yourself before contacting VGWs excellent customer service. Regardless of your choice whomever you engage is going to need just a little more detail in order to be of assistance.

This issue was an area of much discussion when the V22S single shot actions came out over a year ago, and I feel it was covered pretty thoroughly in the 'how to' videos posted on VGW's website. The fact that VGW sent out each of the single shot actions with five striker springs of varying strength, and initially equipped these actions with the crescent-shaped firing pin added to the confusion I guess, but still, there's been a lot of discussion covering the solutions to the FTF problems, not the least of which was presented in the VGW video covering adjusting the striker length. Mike & Paul both presented videos on this, and a little searching on the V22S Single Shot thread should clear up problems quickly.

Last edited:
This issue was an area of much discussion when the V22S single shot actions came out over a year ago, and I feel it was covered pretty thoroughly in the 'how to' videos posted on VGW's website. The fact that VGW sent out each of the single shot actions with five striker springs of varying strength, and initially equipped these actions with the crescent-shaped firing pin added to the confusion I guess, but still, there's been a lot of discussion covering the solutions to the FTF problems, not the Ed least of which was presented in the VGW video covering adjusting the striker length. Mike & Paul both presented videos on this, ave uandsed a little searching on the V22S Single Shot thread should clear up problems quickly.
OK Have read all posts printed so far that I can find. Have used springs from 16 to 13#’s, paint removed, ends stoned no sharp edges, polished, pin polished and chisel point reshaped to hit .021” in from rim. Have never had a crescent shaped point pin. last used 15# spring tuned out 3 turns for max hit depth .0162” 50+ rounds. Using ELEY TENEX, groups best. Still have FTF’s 1%+. Rifle & barrel has 650 rounds fired thru to date. I am looking for consistency, depth of hit, (.001-.002). OK SO NOW WHAT WOULD YOU ALL RECOMMEND TO TRY?

Call VGW and talk to them, they could shorten the path you are traveling.

OK Have read all posts printed so far that I can find. Have used springs from 16 to 13#’s, paint removed, ends stoned no sharp edges, polished, pin polished and chisel point reshaped to hit .021” in from rim. Have never had a crescent shaped point pin. last used 15# spring tuned out 3 turns for max hit depth .0162” 50+ rounds. Using ELEY TENEX, groups best. Still have FTF’s 1%+. Rifle & barrel has 650 rounds fired thru to date. I am looking for consistency, depth of hit, (.001-.002). OK SO NOW WHAT WOULD YOU ALL RECOMMEND TO TRY?
Did you re-shape the chisel firing pin before you started experiencing FTFs? Though I went through a lot of spring swapping & pin adjustments on my 1st V22S - and still have an occasional FTF - the 2nd action I purchased came equipped with the chisel tip, and I've had very few FTFs with it, and those were while I was experimenting with an extra crescent-shaped firing pin that I swapped out the chisel pin for, just to see if I could get consistent ignition with the crescent pin. Don't recall having a single FTF with that 2nd action since I put the chisel pin back in the bolt - but neither have I shot any Eley ammo through it, sticking with SK/Lapua in both my rifles, since I chambered their barrels with a Nevius reamer.

Exactly... and even mine, 500 rounds later, is like that... smooth now, but putting any angular pressure on it still tends to bind it up slightly.
I have a Randolph front rest with a MK II top. When I adjust for a slip fit, not too tight, for my 3” stock rifle an annoying problem comes up. The rest top won’t stay the way I set it, it loosens up. This problem makes it hard to set front tension, shoot 5 5 round groups, evaluate , groups then adjust tighter or looser to shoot more groups to see if Rifle likes to be shot tight or loose. This also happens when set tight. Question HOW to lock FR adjustment to stay locked? ANYONE?

I have a Randolph front rest with a MK II top. When I adjust for a slip fit, not too tight, for my 3” stock rifle an annoying problem comes up. The rest top won’t stay the way I set it, it loosens up. This problem makes it hard to set front tension, shoot 5 5 round groups, evaluate , groups then adjust tighter or looser to shoot more groups to see if Rifle likes to be shot tight or loose. This also happens when set tight. Question HOW to lock FR adjustment to stay locked? ANYONE?
If you are referring to the ears on the top coming loose over time/shots, try some "O" rings to keep some pressure on the adjustment screws. I had a Greenlaw top on my PQP one piece rest with a similar problem, and Mr. Greenlaw sent me some locking rings to keep tension on the adjustment screws.

If you are referring to the ears on the top coming loose over time/shots, try some "O" rings to keep some pressure on the adjustment screws. I had a Greenlaw top on my PQP one piece rest with a similar problem, and Mr. Greenlaw sent me some locking rings to keep tension on the adjustment screws.
Thanks

Another question for anyone. Is anyone using a 8oz tuner weighted over the 8oz on the barrel? I have heard of up to 20oz used in PSL matches. Anyone?

Another question for anyone. Is anyone using a 8oz tuner weighted over the 8oz on the barrel? I have heard of up to 20oz used in PSL matches. Anyone?
Most BR shooters use a JNL, Harrells, or Holeshot tuner. Only the Harrells has threads on the front to allow weights to be threaded on that I'm aware of. Some use bloop tubes, but I have no experience with those.

I revisit my tune for every lot of ammo. Over time I developed a pretty good idea of what my targets/scores should look like and most often I settle on 13.4 oz. (Harrel with medium weight added). On this barrel the added weight works. Occassionally a lot of ammo is not doing well and I will try more or less weight. Only once did I stray from 13.4oz. That time I went to 16oz.

On my Anschutz 64 MPR the bare Harrel always worked best. That barrel is 25/26 inches long.

This result is from yesterday. 40 rounds into 8 bulls, F Class 50 yards, bipod rear bag prone. 32F with medium switching winds. I judge the efficacy of my tune on multiple 40 composite groups. This day the group is .111 inches wider than is is high. I feel this is due to the tune doing a pretty good job of positive compensation for the velocitys in this lot of SK LRM.
20230406_102726.jpg

Reactions: fredfish
Most BR shooters use a JNL, Harrells, or Holeshot tuner. Only the Harrells has threads on the front to allow weights to be threaded on that I'm aware of. Some use bloop tubes, but I have no experience with those.
The Holeshot will also take the weights and bloop tubes. It is the same as the Harrels on the front.

Reactions: JimTN
Does it shoot better with the increase in weight?

On most rimfire guns and most barrel profiles, you should be able to adjust a half-pound tuner (Ezell, Harrell, Cortina, etc) to get you to a proper oscillation node without adding more weight. You might want more weight up front for balance, but not because you couldn't get the most functional precision targeting out of the tuner the way it comes from the manufacturer.

Jerry how much weight do you currently use on your PSL RIFLE?
I don't usually use either weights or tubes. I use my tuner set at about 200 which is 3.800 inches overall length for the complete tuner. That is a pretty good spot in general. I click a few at a time about half a turn each way is all. IF that don't work, I try a few other things and then go to a new barrel. I have missed good tune spots doing this as some of the barrels get put on spec guns and sold. I have been beat by more than a few of them after the customer spent more time on tuning.

I revisit my tune for every lot of ammo. Over time I developed a pretty good idea of what my targets/scores should look like and most often I settle on 13.4 oz. (Harrel with medium weight added). On this barrel the added weight works. Occassionally a lot of ammo is not doing well and I will try more or less weight. Only once did I stray from 13.4oz. That time I went to 16oz.

On my Anschutz 64 MPR the bare Harrel always worked best. That barrel is 25/26 inches long.

This result is from yesterday. 40 rounds into 8 bulls, F Class 50 yards, bipod rear bag prone. 32F with medium switching winds. I judge the efficacy of my tune on multiple 40 composite groups. This day the group is .111 inches wider than is is high. I feel this is due to the tune doing a pretty good job of positive compensation for the velocitys in this lot of SK LRM.View attachment 8114192
Same rifle, what do you set tuner? Mine was 3 3/4 +23 almost 4. Thanks

Same rifle, what do you set tuner? Mine was 3 3/4 +23 almost 4. Thanks
I ran it at a half dozen settings in the course of 42k rounds. Probably the setting that repeated the most was about 9-11 clicks up from zero. I don't think those exact settings are of any use to anyone though because my tuner wasn't just opened up but it was also bored deeper. Further, the shortest position for my Harrel is minus 12, ie. twelve clicks back from zero. They all vary in that regard.

What might be useful is that compared to you my favored tune was very low. I did use 331(3 1/4 +6 in your notation) a bit which is the nearest I got to you.

I ran it at a half dozen settings in the course of 42k rounds. Probably the setting that repeated the most was about 9-11 clicks up from zero. I don't think those exact settings are of any use to anyone though because my tuner wasn't just opened up but it was also bored deeper. Further, the shortest position for my Harrel is minus 12, ie. twelve clicks back from zero. They all vary in that regard.

What might be useful is that compared to you my favored tune was very low. I did use 331(3 1/4 +6 in your notation) a bit which is the nearest I got to you.
Tuning a rifle is always an adventure ... there's so many configurations you might consider, i.e., tuner bare, tuner with weights, tuner with tubes and slides, mid-barrel tuners. If they make your rifle shoot better or give you confidence that's a good thing.

One suggestion I recently read on another forum eliminates the confusion of tuner brand (Harrells, Holeshot, other) and calculates the overall distance of the tuner turned to 3.880". For a tuner bored 1.0" this should be around 200 on the dial. This is your starting point ... shoot groups with plus-minus increments from the starting point until you think you've got the tightest groups. On match or range day or when you switch to a different ammo you might want to click up or down in hopes of finding a sweeter sweet spot.

Good Luck and I hope this helps ...

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo2
What are you guys lubing thr bolt with? I am getting little rust spots and dark gunk on the bolt body. It happens quickly. And it happens on all 4 if the v22s models I own. I have been using clp from mpro7. Thanks