• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What barrel vises will open to hold a 1.5” OD suppressor?

redneckbmxer24

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    I have had a viper vise for over a decade and it has served me well but I’ve got a couple suppressors that are converted to omega mounts that need to be torqued in and I periodically remove and trying to do it with soft jaws sucks.

Does anyone make a good barrel vise that will accommodate 1.5” diameter suppressor? Ideally with enough room for a then piece of leather for protection as well. Something that’s quicker and easier to tighten down than the viper would be nice too.

...none of the SiCo Omega mounts should require being torqued down like that. The muzzle devices, yes...but you wouldn't be torqueing those down with the suppressor mounted. Applying those kinds of forces to a suppressor will eventually lead to a failure that the mfg won't repair and that's a big off with an NFA item that's not so easily replaced.

...none of the SiCo Omega mounts should require being torqued down like that. The muzzle devices, yes...but you wouldn't be torqueing those down with the suppressor mounted. Applying those kinds of forces to a suppressor will eventually lead to a failure that the mfg won't repair and that's a big off with an NFA item that's not so easily replaced.

Q Plan B is 35 ftlbs and I’ve had it back off on my AR-15 before because it’s definitely not torqued to that because I can’t hold it tight enough currently to do so.

Neither can has a warranty because they’re both shitty AAC’s that had mounting issues, one of which went back to AAC 4 times before they finally admitted it was fucked and said sorry we don’t have the parts to fix it anymore. So their warranty is useless and ECCO unfucked them for me by converting them.

Regardless, Q recommends 35 ftlbs so that’s what I’m doing. They know what their mounts need.

I use a strap wrench and a dab of blue Loctite on my direct thread mounts.

Both of those that I speak of are AACs converted by EcCO.

I couldn’t even get 20 ftlbs to click holding it with two snap on trap wrenches and having someone else help me. Suppressor backed off the mount from that with high temp red loctite, it does nothing at the temps that suppressors get up to.

The only way I’ve been able to tighten and remove them to 35ftlbs is with a barrel vise I made myself with two pieces of 2x4 that I ran a 1.75” paddle bit through and use leather between. It works but it’s janky as fuck trying to hold it together to get it in a vice and needing and 8” bench vise to use it’s far from portable.

I want something like the viper or other barrel vise that will accommodate a suppressor.

Reactions: HOOFER
    Just a quick google search for "1.5' barrel vise"

Reactions: redneckbmxer24
    They would work great but I want something portable that I can clamp to any bench or table with C clamps. A bench vise isn’t feasible to bring to the range.
    Gotcha. A SAC vise can be brought to the range. I've done it many times. 😬

Easy way is to buy a SAC vise and their plate. Use c-clamps to secure the sides.

I talked to them earlier, it does. I’ll see if it goes in stock in the next few weeks but if it doesn’t I’m going with that PMA.
    The Davidson vise is a good vise mine has 40+ barrels on it…I do the same thing your thinking I just clamp it to my bench with C clamps.

Gotcha. A SAC vise can be brought to the range. I've done it many times. 😬

Easy way is to buy a SAC vise and their plate. Use c-clamps to secure the sides.

Yeah that’s what I’m going to do if they come in stock in a decent time frame. I talked to them earlier and they recommended the bravo version for suppressors since it has more clamping adjustment. I’ll just order the whole kit that comes with all the bushings and the rail.

The Davidson vise is a good vise mine has 40+ barrels on it…I do the same thing your thinking I just clamp it to my bench with C clamps.

I think I like the design of the PMA more. I’ve had a few times where my viper wouldn’t grab a pencil barrel how I wanted so being able to rotate it and clamp a thin barrel would be a nice feature.

I’ve never bolted down my viper, always use C clamps. Swapped a new barrel on my fix and torqued a muzzle brake on the barrel by clamping it to the running board of my truck.

Reactions: LR1845
    I think I like the design of the PMA more. I’ve had a few times where my viper wouldn’t grab a pencil barrel how I wanted so being able to rotate it and clamp a thin barrel would be a nice feature.

I’ve never bolted down my viper, always use C clamps. Swapped a new barrel on my fix and torqued a muzzle brake on the barrel by clamping it to the running board of my truck.
    PMA makes nice stuff.

@redneckbmxer24
    This might work for you?
    3” square inside, holes are threaded, just add wood or aluminum inserts for your diameter.
    Not built as a barrel vise, but I always thought it would work as one🤷‍♂️

545CFF4C-FCC8-42A2-A2FF-507638C0F157.jpegDFF7A958-DE8B-4591-B693-AF16F5975D80.jpeg262CCF53-A660-4E32-8FE3-4BCD9BEA57A8.jpeg