• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What company makes the best M4 Style carbine?????

Re: What company makes the best M4 Style carbine?????

You may get many different answers on this one. I've had a Colt for years with no problems and it is much more accurate than I expected it to be. I owned an Olympic Arms for one range session and got rid of it.

For DI ar's

1.Noveske (my favorite)
Sabre Defense
Colt
and so on....

For piston ar's

LWRC
POF
LMT
I love all three

i think rock river is still a privately held american company and prolly doublestar as well.

I think Bravo Company has the best "bang for the buck".

Yes I figured there would be a bunch of different opinions. But thats the good thing about the forums you get a broad picture of whatelse is out there besides the standard manufactures like colt, AR S&W etc... Than based on that one can do their own research and make a decision on what suits them best.

Im currently looking pretty heavily into LaRue Tactical at the moment.

Keep the opinions coming

Bravo Company USA
LMT
Daniel Defense
LaRue Tactical
Colt

I notice that people keep telling you what is the "best for the buck". That is not what you ask. The two I am familar with that are top of the line are
Les Baer. Very accurate, uniformly.
KAC, accurate and solid.
Noveski has a good reputation, but from the few I have known of do not shoot as well. Not bad, but more like MOA, but I am sure some will do better.
I do not know why the SH crowd is not in favor of Baer, I would guess it is price or not tacticool enought.
There are many I have not seen or shot, of course. Many I have that did not shoot well, but no need in dragging them through the mud.
I also noticed that most all who own an AR will say it "shoots well" but are vague when pressed and will often say "I do not shoot at targets" and really do not have a clue what happens other than when they pull the trigger, it goes bang.
The Baer's I have shot will hold 1/2 moa at worst and some great groups can be shot at 600 yds. Well under .5 moa.
I also understand that some of the stuff coming out of White Oak Precision is top notch. I will be getting one done soon, I hope.
JMO

I've probably shot most of them and owned many of them. I steer away from Bushmaster, Olympic, DPMS, RRA. Just personal preference. Never had a bad experience with these, just didn't like the fit and finish. They seemed to be thrown together. The more expensive names like Colt, POF, JP, Noveske, LMT, KAC, etc. are all fantastic but can be a little pricey. For me, it all boils down to "Customer service" and attention to detail. For those reasons I go with Spikes Tactical for my 5.56mm AR needs. For .308 I'm a POF Fanatic! FWIW

bravo company
bushmaster
DPMS

for me

looking at POF for an upper for my AR pistol

Yes as im open to all opinions im not looking for a rifle that is the best bang for the buck im in the military and going into law enforcement and im looking to get a accurate rifle for serious training. I do not need a match rifle.

I like what im reading on Larues site but im not finding anyone that has had any experience with them.

That is a change from the OP. You said " best and most accurate M4 style tactical carbine"
If you are Mil and going LE, why do you not just use what is issued? That would be the best to train on and cheap (free) as well.
COLT is the new answer to your revised question IMO.

Chevy...No Ford........No Chevy.......No Ford.......No Chevy.......

Everyone has there opinion of who makes the best. there are a lot of good AR manufacturers out there.

RTH- as far as using an issued rifle im a reservist in the military and unfortunately we dont get alot of training oppritunities. I like having my own gear so i can train when I want and attend training that is provided by the military and LE. And of course its an excuse to get another gun.

Desert you are correct with that statement this could probably go back and forth forever on who makes the best.

one good thing that i did get out of this thread is i was made aware of several quality companies that produce quality firearms that i didnt even know about. So thanks everyone for all the input.

and theres the all important WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SPEND? for most thats thier final decision maker.you will get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Bravo Company has the best "bang for the buck". </div></div>

This!

I would reccomend you take a hard look at LMT.

im looking at about a $2500 budget for a complete rifle with an eotech so ive got a pretty good budget for it I would think that would be good enough to get what im looking for.

KAC E3 SR-15, then Colt 6940, then Colt 6920, then Saber, Noveski.... Just my .02
Piston, LWRC, LMT......

Build one. You can get what you want with the accessories that fit you. You also cut out stuff you do not want. I recently built my first AR and spent around 1100 with no optics. If you do go the build route do your research. Good luck with your search and let us know how you finish.

Bravo Company makes some good stuff that just works, and works well. Noveske probably has an edge in accuracy. It depends on what you want to do with it I suppose, and how much you want to spend.

What are you using the carbine for, and what do you want it to do? There are plenty of overpriced "mil model" carbines that the average user will never take advantage of all the "mil-spec" toughness of, take your pick.

If you want a handy accurate AR that you can count on to shoot lights out get a good upper on a lower with a good trigger and rock on. I'd recommend an 18" midlength with a floated barrel of a contour that matches what you want in weight and a twist that matches the bullets you'll shoot. Stainless is the way to go, leave chrome lining to the rack grade stuff that will be in service 30 years in the hands of generations of ball bearing losers and anvil busters. M4 is just a carbine with M203 cuts, and a skinny barrel under the handguards. If you are gonna whip your M203 out in the neighborhood, it'd be my recommendation.

Fodder for the tacticool sheeple otherwise IMHO.....

I have a S&W M&P 15 and love it it one of the most accurate ar's I have shot and since you in the mility the also offer a 40% discount for military members.

I love cool running, way less cruddy gas piston AR's and POF gets my nod.
.........SmokeRolls

Bushmaster doesn't use F marked FSB's. If you want a "M4" its gotta have the F marked FSB, a 14.5" 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel, etc....in the end there are a million ways to build an AR..

Knight's Armament, Noveske, LMT, and BCM are my favorite

KACtwin3.jpg

Re: What company makes the best M4 Style carbine??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hard to beat one you build your self. </div></div>

+1

Get a Colt, then you never have to wonder.

They've made more, and for longer, than all the others combined.

They have a standard they meet, and test, at every stage of manufacture, both parts and assembly.

Everyone else, that is any good, has gone to the COLT school (or military, written by Colt) to learn how to build them.

Ever hear of a Noveske school, or LMT school?

Most of the others are assembled by people with little, or no, proper training or test equipment.

Can you build one yourself? Sure, and maybe better than most of the commercial rifles available. But you (or most manufacturers, ie, really assemblers) will not have anyway to properly assemble and test each stage of the work.

All my "go to" AR's are Colt.

Hows that Colt Kool-aid? Anyone half sober can build an AR properly. The name on the gun is from the company that put it together. I dont know of any manufacturer that actually builds in house every piece of an AR.

Well guys thanks for all the advice. But I think after talking to some people and doing some research that for this rifle im going to go with the LaRue Stealth upper 16" with a custom spikes tac lower. I learned about alot of other manufactures that i didnt even know about and now ive found guns with them that will go on my wish list.....So thanks for all that too

"Hows that Colt Kool-aid? Anyone half sober can build an AR properly. The name on the gun is from the company that put it together. I dont know of any manufacturer that actually builds in house every piece of an AR."

I've personally owned over 100 AR's (of every brand) and worked on and built hundreds more over the last 30 years, Kool-aid has nothing to do with it.

CAN others build an AR as good as Colt? Yes.

DO they do it as consistently day in and day out on a production basis?

Emphatically NO!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Hows that Colt Kool-aid? Anyone half sober can build an AR properly. The name on the gun is from the company that put it together. I dont know of any manufacturer that actually builds in house every piece of an AR."

I've personally owned over 100 AR's (of every brand) and worked on and built hundreds more over the last 30 years, Kool-aid has nothing to do with it.

CAN others build an AR as good as Colt? Yes.

DO they do it as consistently day in and day out on a production basis?

Emphatically NO! </div></div>

... But Colt DOES NOT make all of the parts In-House.

I've seen more than a few Colts that really didn't live up to their reputation as far as fit and finish. Granted, Colt has made Many, Many more than the rest combined and I'm sure their ratio of "good" to "bad" is way higher than any other, but they're not always the "Best"... And I like Colt, really.

Larue makes great stuff. I highly recommend going to m4carbine.net, technical forums, stickies. This will tell you pretty much anything you need to know, in addition that LT is Good To Go.

I've never said, or implied, that Colt makes everything in house.

BUT, they have EVERYTHING (every tiny part) made to a STANDARD, that they test and inspect (and outside government inspectors also double check), that NO OTHER manufacturer does, or could afford, to do.

Why do you always hear that "it's just as good as a Colt", not "it's better than a Colt".... because NO ONE can prove that claim.

True on all counts...

There's only so much you can do with the same materials... And Colt is the Hallmark.

There's so many options all on the same level right now.. The AR market is out of this world these days. If money is no issue Colt,Knights,LMT,Noveske are all great rifles that seem to be on par with one another but if you want that budget build you could snag any lower and throw a BCM upper on top and still sleep good at night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've seen more than a few Colts that really didn't live up to their reputation as far as fit and finish. Granted, Colt has made Many, Many more than the rest combined and I'm sure their ratio of "good" to "bad" is way higher than any other, but they're not always the "Best"... And I like Colt, really. </div></div>

Colt is not in the business of making guns with nice "fit and finish" with nice, smooth and unblemished finishes that are good for taking internet pictures.

Colt is in the business of making guns that are used to kill bad guys and will go bang under adverse conditions.

BCM is pretty good from what I have seen, but I have been less than impressed with some of the QC I have seen coming from LMT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hard to beat one you build your self. </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

+2

AR's are a whole different breed than bolt rifles. You can buy all tier 1 parts, put it together and it'll function. It's a much more modular weapon system than a precision bolt rifle. Building your own AR is just installing parts, there's no need to hand fit any parts. It's one of the reasons why I love my AR, I bought every single piece separately and assembled it myself. It's a mutt of a rifle but she's damn purtty.

Bolt rifles on the other hand are different. There's much more human interaction involved such as indicating action, true bolt lugs, face action, etc. when trying to get the best tolerances. Most people don't have the equipment or know how so we pay a smith to do it for us.

This picture sums up the AR.
1_M-4%20Funny.jpg

Colt. Without question.

LMT and BCM are acceptable substitutes if you are on a budget.

I have a DI Bushmaster and never had a problem with it. Probably gonna build another DI in the $800 price range for the truck. Probably going to go with a LMT or BCM upper. What ever you go with, feed it good ammo (non eastern bloc steel cased) and it should be ready to rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've seen more than a few Colts that really didn't live up to their reputation as far as fit and finish. Granted, Colt has made Many, Many more than the rest combined and I'm sure their ratio of "good" to "bad" is way higher than any other, but they're not always the "Best"... And I like Colt, really. </div></div>

Colt is not in the business of making guns with nice "fit and finish" with nice, smooth and unblemished finishes that are good for taking internet pictures.

Colt is in the business of making guns that are used to kill bad guys and will go bang under adverse conditions.

BCM is pretty good from what I have seen, but I have been less than impressed with some of the QC I have seen coming from LMT. </div></div>

You really don't have a clue... Do ya. Fit and finish does not translate to good internet pictures. It translates to a product that is built to exacting specifications with skill and pride. But what am I thinking... You're a BCM fan!

I don't know if accuracy would be my #1 criteria for selecting an M4 clone. They will all be accurate enough and I would never benchrest them to see which one shoots the tiniest groups on paper. That is not the intent of the rifle.

If you're set on an M4 clone reliability and durability should be what you're looking for. Colt, BCM are proven and DD is new but look they are doing everything right.

As others have said ... Colt ... If that wasn't an option I would go BCM

LE6920
Knights Quad Rail
M2Comp w/ QD Tripler
MaTech BUIS

The basics of my prefered M4 .... if I want long range precision I have other tools for that. Also when getting an M4 ... the extra $$$ for a 1:7 twist are worth it .... You can feed it anything.