• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do with 2 48oz waygu tomahawk ribeye steaks

shibby575

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2007
IN
These things are awesome. I Can't find the smoker/grilling thread, so starting a new one for these 2 steaks I've got to cook in a week. In short, special occasion for another couple, and my wife and I. I believe switchblade has a ducsels or some business, I'd like to try on these, and if anyone else has made them before please chime in. My original thought is just to salt and pepper them, and through them on a pipeing hot grill with a bit of applewood in it, but these are a little nicer than normal steaks.

So help a guy out. Something over the top would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I advise you to send them to me. ;)

I'm a firm believer in less is more when it comes to quality steaks. Salt, pepper and a little EVOO. Now if you want to add little something with a lot of flavor skip the EVOO and put a small pad of garlic butter just before taking them off the grill.

One last thing, if you wanted to get fancy you could dry age them for 4-5 days. To be honest though that's probably really unnecessary.

Wish I could give two thumbs up on that one. Little sea salt and some ground pepper, maybe...just maybe a dash of wustashire sauce and definitely done garlic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I advise you to send them to me. ;)

I'm a firm believer in less is more when it comes to quality steaks. Salt, pepper and a little EVOO. Now if you want to add little something with a lot of flavor skip the EVOO and put a small pad of garlic butter just before taking them off the grill.

One last thing, if you wanted to get fancy you could dry age them for 4-5 days. To be honest though that's probably really unnecessary.

I am going to second what he said. Salt, Pepper and Garlic is all a good cut of meat needs to be heavenly.

oh yeah... Send me the left overs!

Sous vide the steaks. Water temp 135 degrees for med rare. A quick hot pan sear to finishd. Fresh ground pepper and hawaiian sea pink salt.

Last edited:
Souse vide the steaks. Water temp 135 degrees for med rare. A quick hot pan sear to finishd. Fresh ground pepper and hawaiian sea pink salt.

Oh man, a new kitchen toy. I just bought momma a new kitchenaid mixer, dish washer, and food processor. I guess another new toy could be fun.

+1
If not already done by your butcher shop, dry age in the refrigerator. Will concentrate the flavor.
But for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT cook these things to anything over medium. (I acknowledge some people are squeamish of pink, but they'll get over it at medium.) I have people that want their steaks Well Done. Restaurants reserve some "special" cuts of meat just for them.

I have not done souse vide, but I have heard it is ridiculously good.

If you want to grill them, get your fire hot as all blazes like 700+ degrees or over an IR burner that gets upwards of 1000. Best way to cook a steak and most of the really high end(think Peter Luger) cook in broiler drawers that approach 1500 degrees.

Cook to medium rare.

Or better yet, thin slice some and eat it raw as long as you trust the butcher shop. I did some small roll's of a prime cut ribeye sliced ultra thin with a little bit of fresh horseradish in the middle. Was delicious.

American or Japanese wagyu?

Had American before and wow it's awesome

less is more with that high quality of beef….

SUPER hot broiler or grill, rock salt and crush pepper, I would go rare/rare well and consume with a fine red cali cab…. I say skip the butter or any finishing, that steak is so marbled it would be redundant and take away from the true goodness….

American or Japanese wagyu?

Had American before and wow it's awesome

I believe you can't get the real deal Japanese wagyu. Seems like I remember reading that a year back or so when I was looking into ordering some online.

I have experience in cooking both the New Zealand and Strube Ranch (US) waygu beef, and agree with the others you're in for something special. I would strongly advise to not over-season the beef, and instead add kosher salt (the thicker grains will take longer to dissolve) and possibly some pepper to taste. Due to the high fat content of ribeye, I would avoid any type of herb butter, and would stay the hell away from any garlic based spice.

Start by taking them out of the plastic or butcher's paper, place them on a plate at room temp, and cover with a paper towel. Give the meat time to get close to room temp (~1hr) before putting them on the grill.

Bring your grill up to 650-700deg, and ensure the outside is seared by grilling ~2mins on each side. If you have the ability to close the grill and immediately reduce the temp (say, in a Big Green Egg), shut it with the steaks inside and cook at 400-450deg until the desired internal temp is reached. If not, do not be afraid to put hem into a sauté pan in a pre-heated oven. You will notice while cooking that waygu fat doesn't render like normal beef, and you won't see the "shrink" typical of other high-fat beef. Do not let this convince you that it needs to cook longer. Use your experience or feel to determine temp, which shouldn't be more than medium rare.

Do not /not cut the steaks before serving, or puncture them with a meat thermometer. Doing so will cause the juices to leak out, and will ruin the moisture of the beef. Let them rest for 5-7mins before serving. Enjoy with a full bodied IPA, and have a decent scotch on standby to aid digestion.

Last edited:
As a beef producer I can almost assure you it has already been dry aged a spot longer than 5 days.

If it were me, salt, pepper, medium rare. Nothing fancy for fine meat.

According to this there is no such thing in the US. So where did you get the steaks , where's the Beef ? LOL. Food's Biggest Scam, Part 2: "Domestic" Kobe And Wagyu Beef - Forbes

Thats a 2+ year old article. You should read the updated 2014 version which states that Kobe has been allowed for import since 2012.
The New Truth About Kobe Beef: Scarce Amounts Now Available In The U.S., But Not In Europe - Forbes

Agree with everyone else here. A simple light coating of sea salt and course ground pepper. Sear good and cook to Med Rare. Let stand before serving and enjoy. If you dont know how to judge temp without poking with a thermometer, read this article then practice on a few other lesser grade steaks until you are comfortable judging.
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/

Last edited:
Cool But then where is the best place to order some from ? That's where I came up with that article above. Trying to find some online

Thats the $1M question. Im guessing only boutique, expensive butcher shops in larger cities would have it. Ordering and shipping is another issue all together. Ill just stick with my beef and venison filets for now. Honesty Waygu is good but I dont think that its worth the price point when put up against a good filet. Ive have good Waygu and some not so good and at the cost; my opinion is that there should be Zero bad waygu.

If you find it in resturants, its generally priced by the ounce. There is a place (5A5) in San Fran that we go every year while we are at the RSA conference and I think the cheapest Waygu was $11/oz and the steaks were 8oz. So you were looking at an $88 steak and that was without sides or any toppings such as crab/bernaise sauce and I love me some bernaise!

Last edited:
Here is where they are coming from.

Kobe (Wagyu) Tomahawk Rib Chop

I plan to have them here the day before. Then the fun begins. I believe I'll have to get the charcoal grill up to hot as the sun, sear a couple mins per side, and finish in the oven. As these are suck large pieces I'm a bit worried without a thermometer. If I jab them from the beginning will it really be a problem? I really don't want to screw these up. Thanks again.

Ill post pics, the 18 is the day. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row in advance.

I am comfortable by touch checking a regular 1 1/2 steak. I'm thinking these thing are going to be quite thick. Not sure that I trust fingering it on these particular pieces. Like I said I just want them to be perfect. I originally was going to do a nice cab or some nice heavy red wine, but the IPA previously brought up really makes me happy. Hopslam just got bottled so it'll be super fresh. So I'm thinking a full bodied red, some hopslam, maybe a barrel aged barley wine I've been sitting On for a year, then bust out some pappy. Now on to the sides, or did I just name them???

For those inquiring about the online wagyu, the below website retails Strube ranch beef, the only supplier (as of 2006) of wagyu in the US.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/meatlocker/beef/strube-ranch-waygu-rib-eye

Here's a quick primer on the difference between Kobe and Wagyu beef:
Strube Ranch | Buedel Meat Up

For those just after a damn fine steak, I'd recommend Halpern's 1855 brand of steaks, which can be ordered via email.

1855 Premium Angus Beef: Halperns' | Purveyors of Steak & Seafood

Link to retail contact page:
Gift Boxes: Halperns' | Purveyors of Steak & Seafood

48oz is massive, pretty much a small roast at that size

A 3# ribsteak has got to be pretty thick. So you absolutely need to give it a few hours at room temperature, let it listen to some Kenny G or Chuck Mangione so it can relax and warm up. Say nice things to it in a calm soothing voice.

I would only use some good quality salt on it, nothing else. Good quality pepper fresh ground black pepper if you must

A steak that thick wont do on the grill, the only way I would do it is in a skillet and then finish in the oven- it is a small roast at 48 oz

Get skillet dressed with extra virgin olive oil almost smoking hot, hold the steak by the bone and slide it around the skillet for a while until its got good crisp color and crust, do other side, and then do same for the edges. If you have a good fat-cap on there, make sure you crisp it up good. Then set the cut on a different pan/skillet that is not hot and set in the oven at about 375 - use remote thermometer and pull it out when internal temp is 120-130 (depends on your preference) and let it rest ten minutes before slicing.

If it were me I think suck a steak should be held by the bone and mouthfuls of the beast should be bitten off- pass it off to your wife while you chew

Smoke them applewood flavored a couple hours on 125. Then move them to hot grill 1 minute each side and sear. Add salt and fine black pepper. That be my recipe!

378 for a whole ribeye aint bad. I paid 155 for a 13lb prime grade I did for Christmas. Theirs say 15-18lbs.

Gratuitous pics of a medium rare prime rib because this thread talking about fine meats has no pictures of fine meats.

Thats a 2+ year old article. You should read the updated 2014 version which states that Kobe has been allowed for import since 2012.
The New Truth About Kobe Beef: Scarce Amounts Now Available In The U.S., But Not In Europe - Forbes

Agree with everyone else here. A simple light coating of sea salt and course ground pepper. Sear good and cook to Med Rare. Let stand before serving and enjoy. If you dont know how to judge temp without poking with a thermometer, read this article then practice on a few other lesser grade steaks until you are comfortable judging.
The Finger Test to Check the Doneness of Meat | Simply Recipes

That is some good news right there. Thanks for the update.

All these people talking about smoking, marinating, or otherwise ruining (stuffing it with cheese?!) such a cut of meat should be taken out and lined up.

Salt, pepper, EVOO, high-ass heat (400° isn't cutting it, double it), quick, hard sear, and serve it medium rare with or without a bit of butter at the end.

378 for a whole ribeye aint bad. I paid 155 for a 13lb prime grade I did for Christmas. Theirs say 15-18lbs.

Gratuitous pics of a medium rare prime rib because this thread talking about fine meats has no pictures of fine meats.
looks like the inner thighs of Rosie odonell!

For awhile I was eating Filet pretty much 5x a week, granted it wasn't super high end beef like what you guys are talking about just prime Costco filet. Ive come to the conclusion that a cast iron grill that has been in use for a real long time is awesome. I use the cast iron grill at my work that serves up 50-100 burgers a day. I prefer Rub with Love that stuff is phenomenal! I couldn't imagine marinating a good piece of meat that is just wrong.

looks like the inner thighs of Rosie odonell!

Gold Bond Lotion can help with those big, sore meat flaps.

+1
If not already done by your butcher shop, dry age in the refrigerator. Will concentrate the flavor.
But for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT cook these things to anything over medium. (I acknowledge some people are squeamish of pink, but they'll get over it at medium.) I have people that want their steaks Well Done. Restaurants reserve some "special" cuts of meat just for them.

Truly a horrible idea. First, you need an entire primal to properly dry age. Second, 4-5 does will not do a damned thing by way of dry aging. Finally, you require a dedicated temperature and humidity controlled environment...not your fridge between the eggs and last weeks carryout.

I suggest making sweet love with that sweet cut of meat. Aside from that kosher salt and pepper and medium rare. If you see the wife reach for the A1 sauce I suggest a calling a lawyer and filing for divorce!

Here is where they are coming from.

Kobe (Wagyu) Tomahawk Rib Chop

That most definitely is not real Kobe.

Real Kobe is so rare in the US and so expensive that 99% of us would not be eating it for that reason. I had it in Tokyo once on a business trip a couple years ago and it tastes NOTHING like American beef. It is in a class all its own taste wise. I saw some last year in a specialty market in Palm Beach and it was $600 for 8 Oz.

When you do eat Kobe you would be overwhelmed to eat more than 2-3 ounces because of the fat in it. One pound of it would make you sick as a dog. Picture eating a whole package of thick sliced raw bacon warmed to room temperature. When you see real Kobe, it looks like it is easy 50% fat, it is cooked no longer than medium rare but most eat it rare. When I had it in Tokyo it was cubed and tossed in a wok to sear it and that was it. Brown on the outside and red on the inside.

The fat in Kobe also melts at an extremely low temperature and as a result it is extremely rich in taste because the fat melts in your mouth like Crisco (lard). You literally can suck the fat out of the meat with it only being lightly seared and warm. If you were to cook it on a grill, all the fat that makes Kobe, Kobe would be gone and with it all the flavor.

marinate them in dales for about 2 hours and flip them about every 5 to 7 minutes after they are seared on both sides.

Sorry brother. Not gonna try that one on these steaks, but I will give it a run on something diferent just to try it out.

I would get a cheaper version of similar size and do a test run using only kosher salt and a reverse sear. If you like the result, try it on the expensive ones.

That most definitely is not real Kobe.

Real Kobe is so rare in the US and so expensive that 99% of us would not be eating it for that reason. I had it in Tokyo once on a business trip a couple years ago and it tastes NOTHING like American beef. It is in a class all its own taste wise. I saw some last year in a specialty market in Palm Beach and it was $600 for 8 Oz.

When you do eat Kobe you would be overwhelmed to eat more than 2-3 ounces because of the fat in it. One pound of it would make you sick as a dog. Picture eating a whole package of thick sliced raw bacon warmed to room temperature. When you see real Kobe, it looks like it is easy 50% fat, it is cooked no longer than medium rare but most eat it rare. When I had it in Tokyo it was cubed and tossed in a wok to sear it and that was it. Brown on the outside and red on the inside.

The fat in Kobe also melts at an extremely low temperature and as a result it is extremely rich in taste because the fat melts in your mouth like Crisco (lard). You literally can suck the fat out of the meat with it only being lightly seared and warm. If you were to cook it on a grill, all the fat that makes Kobe, Kobe would be gone and with it all the flavor.

Absolutely correct. At 48 oz. this thing will take a while to cook. I would sear on the grill two minutes per side and then shut down the coals until it is at the temp desired. you will need some sort of liner under your meat or the liquified fat will cause an extreme fire that will charcoal the sear on this meat and create a undesirable flavor. super hot cast iron may in fact be a better bet.

I would use the above mentioned pink hawain salt and fresh ground pepper. salt and pepper when the meat is pulled to seat to room temperature.

Good luck and send pictures.