• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What's the life expectancy on this barrel

Fluted308

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2013
Does anyone have first hand info on an average round count of store bought 168-175 FGM SMK 308 through a Remi 700 5R SS Milspec, before it loses accuracy or the barrel is considered done and needs replacing. I just want to know if it's worth doing all the work that I have in mind. Or wait and do it on a custom barrel. Thanks for the feedback in advance. Fluted308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

As long as you don't shoot really fast. As in a dueling tree I would think that you should get around 4000 rds. of good accuracy(depends on what you consider good accuracy). Some say 6000 rds. but I have never kept a .308 that long. I sold a .308 HS Precision HTR that had about 3600 rds. through it. A guy paid for it at the range because he really liked the groups it was shooting. He didn't want to wait for a rifle build so he cashed me out at the range. 3600 rds. is the longest I had kept any rifle caliber other than a 22lr.
Semper Fi

I had read on other forums that after 1800-2000 you start to notice the inconsistency. Not sure if that's on a CS barrel or SS.

The M24 SWS had a requirement of 10,000 round expectancy which uses the same barrel as the 5r milspec but with a heavier contour.

U.S. Army M24 Sniper Weapon System

Remington 700 Milspec 5R - Sniper Central

Yep, and I know we pushed out m24's passed that round count prior to deployment...

To many variables to consider, but all in all the .308 is not a barrel burner... In fact, if you shoot out a .308 barrel yourself, give yourself a pat on the back b/c you've had a fair amount of trigger time.

The barrel on my Savage went ~6k rounds. It started out as a good shooter, and got better and better and better until it crapped out as if a switch was flipped.

Does anyone have first hand info on an average round count of store bought 168-175 FGM SMK 308 through a Remi 700 5R SS Milspec, before it loses accuracy or the barrel is considered done and needs replacing. I just want to know if it's worth doing all the work that I have in mind. Or wait and do it on a custom barrel. Thanks for the feedback in advance. Fluted308

I got a 5r with 175's that is barely running 2600 fps , that is over 4k rounds down the tube . Still grouping 'superb' @ both 100 yrd. & 600 yrd . It has run, same load / same powder / same bullet from the getgo .
I had the exact same 5r barrel 28 inch long . with 155's doing 3k Vel. & your going to think about rebarrel or at least a chamber set-back @ about 2k rounds .

There is 100% agreement from everyone who has done it .That the longest barrel life for a .308 Win. Running 175's or 168's . that you keep the Vel. hovering between 2580 to 2600 Vel. is the Sweet Node for accuracy Plus+ your barrel life goes for as high as 6k rounds . I have heard of them running longer also .

It's already been noted above that one controllable variable is rate of fire. Quick tempo firing =much shorter barrel life. There is a variable that cannot be influenced by the user...that is with factory Remingtons (and surely other brands as well) we never know what we are going to get. One Rem 5r .308 may not give up accuracy for 5k rounds...whereas another may go 2500 rounds and be roasted. Hell, even the bore surfaces (looking through a borescope) of like Remingtons can be quite different. I had a 5R .300 Win Mag that was so awful internally that upon inspection by a smith, he said it appeared to be shot out (firecracked from the throat forward). At that time I had 30 rounds through it. My smith said the barrel was beyond hope. I had another 5R in .223 (same model - 5r Tactical Cerakote) and it's bore appeared hand lapped and it shot terrific. My point is you never know on the outset. My advice is to shoot the rifle as is. The first thing I would spend money on in a factory Rem is blue printing the action and rebarreling. Cosmetic upgrades do nothing for performance.

Thanks for all the great info gentlemen. I'm gonna look into a BO break and everything else that I want to do to this rifle. I figured that even if the barrel gives me half of the average life (2500-3000 rounds) it'll be a couple of years before I would have to change it at the rate that I go shooting. Thanks again. Fluted308