• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which remington?

Jason Wells

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Staunton VA
Ok, so I've done some research, looking over some of the replies from my previous thread, and due to money, I will probably be purchasing a stock rifle- most likely a Remington. So out of the stock Remington rifles- which do you favor the most? Likes- dislikes? I really like the 700 target tactical but don't know if it's worth the cash, a new one will cost me around 1500 bucks.

Re: Which remington?

700p is a pretty good choice.. Some minor mods and it will probably rival most higher end rifles. and its like half the price of the tactical.

Its what I'm thinking of doing. Get a 700p and get a match barrel in maybe 300wsm and its gona be a fantastic hunting gun.

I'd say pick up an SPS-V/T with 20/26" bbl (whichever you prefer) and drop it into a MCM stock. That or the 700P is an excellent rifle as well

The target tactical is nothing but a VTR in a B&C fully adjustable stock.
If you wanted to mess with that triangular barrel, buy a VTR and order the stock. If you did it that way, you would spend about 1100 bucks and end up with the same rifle.

Personally, I would opt for the 700P and spend the extra cash (about 700 bucks) on better glass and mounting system.

If you do the math this way:
Rem 700 ADL short action - $360
Blue print action and install match barrel - $700
Bell and carlson fully adjustable stock - $460
ADL - BDL conversion kit - $45

Comes to about 1565 minus shipping costs but a much superior rifle.

700p or 5r milspec with decent base, rings, and optic.
+1 fdkay
in my opinion the target tactical is overpriced.
or as stated above if you prefer a better stock the sps v would be a good way to go, and then you would have extra money to put into a stock of your choice. I had a vtr at one point and the barrel was 20 inch plus the brake so 22. I have seen the sps v with a 20 inch barrel for the same price as the full legnth, same as sps tac just with out the hogue stock and i dont think the barrel is marked tactical either.
however you cant go wron with either choice, just depends what your needs are.

I would agree with a lot of the above - a 700P or if you want a different stock go for the SPS Varmint or SPS Tactical for a shorter barrel. I seen a good many SPS's go in AICS stocks and run great with a little TLC.

Good Luck,

JamieD

SPS Tactical AAC
700P
5R
XCR LR Tactical

In that order. I have all on the list and they all shoot great. Each has something that needs changing etc. I have the SPS Tact, XCR LR and 5R in 308, the 700P I have in 300WM. The biggest factor is your budget! SPS and XCR will be a stock change, SPS 700P(maybe) and 5R will be a trigger change. The 40X on the XCR is good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SPS Tactical AAC
700P
5R
XCR LR Tactical

In that order. I have all on the list and they all shoot great. Each has something that needs changing etc. I have the SPS Tact, XCR LR and 5R in 308, the 700P I have in 300WM. The biggest factor is your budget! SPS and XCR will be a stock change, SPS 700P(maybe) and 5R will be a trigger change. The 40X on the XCR is good to go. </div></div>

^ This!!

I just bought the AAC-SD 700.

LOts of great features for a minimal price!

Thanks all! I took all of my holiday money and picked up a new 5R today, looks sweet, cant wait to get some glass on it and start slinging some lead!

Thanks again for all of your help!