• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Why Do 700s and Clones Fail to Eject Live Rounds?

lw8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
TN
I have had several long action 700s in 300 win mag and all had difficulty ejecting live rounds. Is there a general consensus on why and how to fix it?

Re: Why Do 700s and Clones Fail to Eject Live Rounds?

have a sako extractor put on there. my pops 300 wby mag ejects great with live and fired cases.

I have a M16 style extractor in Stiller bolt. I have zero issues. However, I don't spend much time trying to eject live rounds.

The rem700 has two unforgivable flaws, and they are both bolt related. The bolt handle is soldered on and the extractor is a weak little spring. The fix is to order a one piece bolt from PTG with a M16 extractor and have the rifle headspaced for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, I don't spend much time trying to eject live rounds.</div></div>
laugh.gif

I don't have issues with factory extr/ejec. 700 in 300wm, when I eject a live rd, it has enough force to scratch the side of the bullet on the receiver. Maybe it’s just typical Rem QC, some work and some don’t.

My 700 Milspec 5R spits out the spent cartridges or live rounds with ease......no problems to date. It is a .308 so I'm not talking apples to apples here. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

I have the standard 700 extractor and after thousands of rounds I've never had even one FTE. I'm sure there are other designs out there that are better but as far as I'm concrned the 700 design is more than adequate.

If you are extracting live rounds at the end of hunting or range time than you are probably not cycling the bolt as hard as when you are repeat firing. As long as it ejects spent cartridges and repeats when I want it two I probably wouldn't spend my money correcting a non problem.

I think its great that you rifle doesn't toss live rounds into the mud.

The R700 factory ejector is known to fail. Some work fine for years, some fail right out of the box. Both of the 700s I kept for any time, I had a Sako extractor installed and a 6-40 screw put through the handle to keep it on the bolt.

Btw, to everyone who thinks a weak extractor is no big deal, you will feel differently the first time you get a live round stuck in the chamber. Cant work on it, cant mail it to your smith to fix it, cant even legally transport it in your truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jarhead_h</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rem700 has two unforgivable flaws, and they are both bolt related. The bolt handle is soldered on and the extractor is a weak little spring. The fix is to order a one piece bolt from PTG with a M16 extractor and have the rifle headspaced for it. </div></div>

and the bolt release, and the crappy finish

by the time you fix those you might just as well have started with an action that got it right the first time