• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Why open carry?

GrantA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Thomasville, GA USA
I just don't get it, with so many great methods of concealing a handgun why carry openly in plain sight? I saw a guy in Lowes the other day, with a full-sized 1911 in a leather slide holster- NO retention whatsoever- at about 5-5:30. I was not prepared to fight for the sake of proving a point but I'm sure I could have easily pointed his pistol at him before he knew what happened.

Come on guys, if you're going to carry openly think hard about retention. A couple hous later I went to the tire shop and one of the guys there had a full size 1911 carrier open again BUT his was on his side, maybe 3:30 and it was in a Serpa. I commented that I was glad to see him using a holster like that, telling him about the guy at Lowes. His response was that if someone grabbed his 1911 he has a backup, I'm not so sure how that'd pan out either.

I just thought I'd share some thoughts and get the hide's opinion too. I will continue to conceal, that's the point of a CCW afterall. If I'm carrying openly I might as well take a rifle or shotgun. Maybe there's a holster market for the Keltec KSG...

It sounds like either they were too lazy or unable to lawfully CCW.

I see people out with their large handguns strapped to their sides and think "Man, you are just asking for trouble".

How else are people going to know you're the baddest mother on the block?

Did you share your thoughts with him?

Last edited:
Dtarget- quick edit on your original reply. I do understand the 2A and perhaps I should have chosen a different title for this thread. I have no beef with those who choose open carry, in a responsible manner, but I put it right up there with leaving a wad of cash hanging out of your pocket when you could easily hide it.
I did not catch up with him that day but I know the guy and will visit him soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I do it here from time to time, but mostly as a protest action. I consider open carry in public where it can be grabbed a little different than open carry in the woods or on your land where it's safer too. It's legal here, and I use a Serpa retention holster for a G17 IF or WHEN I do it. I feel the same way as you about non-concealed open holsters in public in particular. I used to be able to pull the Jackie Chan trick on Beretta pistols (pop the slide off a weapon pointed at you before they could fire the weapon) but that doesn't mean I ever incorporated it into a defense plan. It's just stupid, you know?

The whole Starbucks pistols shit started right down the street a few years back. Cops were called about a guy legally open carrying, cops fuck with him, he leaves. Twenty guys show up next day, all open carrying, cops not so eager to make 'em leave. Resulted in memo to cops reminding them we make the law, they only enforce it. That's how it all started at Starbucks.

So I go to the ground-zero coffee shop a year or two back, and there's this guy with his 1911 SITTING ON THE DAMN TABLE! Right by the front door, while he's reading the newspaper, and if it mattered, no, it wasn't in a retention holster and yes, it looked loaded. You see lots of that in Starbucks --a better thing for the owner to do would have been to go on a retention campaign. It would have accomplished more IMO.

The one or two times I have open carried with an open holster (it got too hot and had to take off the top) it bothered the shit out of me the whole time. I wanted to walk around with my hand on the butt, looking over my shoulder, and I did position my friend behind me a bit due to this and we left early. Even the retention holster bothers me some, because I know I could get your pistol away from you with or without a retention holster if I got the drop on you. That means it can happen to me too.

I can think of better ways to die than by my own pistol in public, and would prefer that my weapons aren't used in any crimes, particularly when they are under my control. But you can't tell these Texas-Walker-Ranger-ninja-SEAL-SF motherfuckers anything. Most plan to use their cat-like reflexes to snatch anyone attempting a grab and throw them in an arm bar; they have a plan see, kinda like the Jackie Chan slide grab. If they don't, they're even dumber than you thought and shouldn't be allowed around firearms at all.

Finally, having it concealed is part of the defense! I know were I to pull a crime off, I'd be looking first for open carry guys first (they'll be more likely to be heroes too) and second for bulges from concealed carry. So all that said, I think the only reason anyone really does it in public is to show off, or else they really are that ignorant or stupid.

I was at Walmart and saw a guy open carrying his Glock and two mags. He was bringing a lot of attention to himself and giving people the " what are you looking at" look. I wanted to tell him he was an idiot but thought it would be a poor idea because he was an idiot. I don't understand that kind of thinking.

I've seen one knucklehead a few times at the local Albertson's open carrying a glock around the store. Non-retention holster and carrying an attitude bigger than a Mack truck. The guy was out strutting his stuff through the store for about 20 minutes. My thoughts....yeah...he has a right to carry the way he is, but be smart about it!!!! This guy was an idiot!...and a target (for the criminally minded and the liberal gun grabbers feeling threatened by his presence). I open carry daily (in a triple retention holster, as part of my job), but once off the job, I don't want anybody to know what I've got. I never leave home without a gun strapped to my side, but unless I'm out in the woods hunting, or at work, IT IS ALWAYS CONCEALED!!!! Just my thoughts on the subject.

Only time I open carry is when out in the woods camping/hiking/hunting or in my vehicle when driving around. Otherwise it's concealed.

One of the guys in my CCW class back in AZ showed up with a 6" barreled 44mag that he planned on open carrying everywhere. He also asked about the legalities of stopping a robbery at a 7 Eleven. He thought he was a bad mofo and he desperately wanted to make the local newspaper as a hero.

I wish we had open carry law here in Fla, just so I didn't have to worry about my shirt flying up in the wind while on my bike, I carry a PT 145 or a 1911 in a Tagua with a quick snap with long shirt over it but sometimes the wind blows the shirt up my back. Oh well some day. Wearin a gun full open is okay by me as long as you are not acting like a douche and intimidating people while trying to make a point, its counter productive. I really only carry when riding, a cop here told me I should carry all the time while checking my ID on my way into a secure area of Port Everglades, he was pretty adamant too hehehe, I like Fla cops.

One of the guys in my CCW class back in AZ showed up with a 6" barreled 44mag that he planned on open carrying everywhere. He also asked about the legalities of stopping a robbery at a 7 Eleven. He thought he was a bad mofo and he desperately wanted to make the local newspaper as a hero.
If you ask me, this silly man may think he'll be considered a hero, but rest assured he'll have his fancy pistol confiscated and spend $50 grand for a lawyer before it's all over. If he shoots a man of a different color, right or wrong, he can expect to pay about $1M for lawyers.

But he be kool.

It amazes me that for pro-gun people we sure as hell like to ridicule those who choose to exercise their rights in a different way. I don't care how ones chooses to carry I just care that they carry. And in terms of carry open or concealed, neither is the tell all be all of carry. Each as distict advantages and disadvantages. And those have to weighted out on an individual basis as to what works for each individual. As for me it is like this. If I could open carry in this state I would most of the time, however I do understand that there is a time and place of everything under the sun and concealed would appropriate as well. So how about we stop flipping shit when we see open carriers and rather then picking on them and trying to show them the error of their ways we actually shake their hand and tell them we are happy to see them being on the right side of the debate.

I don't want to attract attention to myself, don't ever let em see you coming.

Last edited:
I understand the necessity of protecting the right to open carry, but I would never do it myself. It draws too much negative attention and I don't want to provide the police with a reason for stopping me. Out of sight, out of mind.

I admittedly get nervous when I see someone open carrying just because I don't know how mentally stable they are. I support the 2nd Amendment, but I'm not particularly in favor of every dickhead walking out of their LGS with a newly acquired handgun strapped to their hip. They should at least have to demonstrate in a CCW course that they are competent in using their weapon. Unfortunately, a CCW certificate can be obtained online just by paying a small fee and clicking "Print."

Last edited:
I understand the necessity of protecting the right to open carry, but I would never do it myself. It draws too much negative attention and I don't want to provide the police with a reason for stopping me. Out of sight, out of mind.

I admittedly get nervous when I see someone open carrying just because I don't know how mentally stable they are. I support the 2nd Amendment, but I'm not particularly in favor of every dickhead walking out of their LGS with a newly acquired handgun strapped to their hip. They should at least have to demonstrate in a CCW course that they are competent in using their weapon. Unfortunately, a permit to carry can be obtained online just by paying a small fee and clicking "Print."

So what is next. Requiring training before one can purchase a firearm? Look I don't dillude myself into thinking that every Tom, Dick, and Harry running around is mentally stable or that they are even safe with a firearm. My life experience and profession have taught me to know much better then that. But simple fact of the matter is that the right to keep and bear arms is one that is the very birth right of a free man. And not withholding due process it is wrong to take that right away. And while I might not always agree with open carriers I do agree that they are exercising their rights and I can stand behind that. So I'm sorry that some feel uncomfortable with the concept of open carry and I'm sorry that some people just can't get it through their thick skulls what is right for one may not be right for another. But I will not stand up and bash another man for exercising his rights and I will not tell someone that they can't exercise their right in a particular way just because it goes against convention.

Last edited:
I can stand beside you on those points longshot. Again I have no problem with it, just looking for opinions and urging anyone looking that direction to consider retention, that is all. Especially when the weapon is worn basically on your back, completely out of your peripheral vision

So what is next. Requiring training before one can purchase a firearm? Look I don't dillude myself into thinking that every Tom, Dick, and Harry running around is mentally stable or that they are even safe with a firearm. My life experience and profession have taught me to know much better then that. But simple fact of the matter is that the right to keep and bear arms is one that is the very birth right of a free man. And not withholding due process it is wrong to take that right away. And while I might not always agree with open carriers I do agree that they are exercising their rights and I can stand behind that. So I'm sorry that some feel uncomfortable with the concept of open carry and I'm sorry that some people just can't get it through their thick skulls what is right for one may not be right for another. But I will not stand up and bash another man for exercising his rights and I will not tell someone that they can't exercise their right in a particular way just because it goes against convention.

Don't let yourself be persuaded by the slippery slope fallacy. Additionally, you ought to be practicing and training with your firearm if you have any hopes of defending yourself with it. It certainly makes a difference, statistically speaking, in one's survivability.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. There is an exponential difference in responsibility between owning a weapon and carrying it in public. I believe open carry incites specific emotions in people and warrants a more acutely aware person in doing so. I only ask that a man be familiar and competent with a firearm before he be allowed to carry it whether openly or concealed. I'm not trusting of other men, especially when I know how little they were required to accomplish before being permitted to carry.

Don't let yourself be persuaded by the slippery slope fallacy. Additionally, you ought to be practicing and training with your firearm if you have any hopes of defending yourself with it. It certainly makes a difference, statistically speaking, in one's survivability.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. There is an exponential difference in responsibility between owning a weapon and carrying it in public. I believe open carry incites specific emotions in people and warrants a more acutely aware person in doing so. I only ask that a man be familiar and competent with a firearm before he be allowed to carry it whether openly or concealed. I'm not trusting of other men, especially when I know how little they were required to accomplish before being permitted to carry.

What fallacy? I never spoke of training. I spoke simply of the rights of the individual. I agree with you that training is essential. And I agree that when one carries a weapon in public a certain level of responiblity exist. And like you I am not a trusting individual, as a rule of thumb I really don't care much for my fellow man. But that doesn't mean that I'm willing to try to restrict someone elses rights because I'm not entirely comfortable with them exercising their rights. Part of living in a free society is that people are free to abuse the rights and freedoms they enjoy. And when those abuses take place we respond in an appropriate manner. But we understand that restricting those rights and freedoms only restricts ourselves for the sake of feeling safe. As such we accept the good with the bad with the understanding that the value of our freedom far out weights the risk we take.

So what is next. Requiring training before one can purchase a firearm?
This is a logical fallacy. It seems to imply that we cannot require someone to undergo training before carrying a firearm because it somehow gives ground for legislators to require training for ownership. I'd be more than happy to display my capabilities in order to obtain a permit since it would filter out those who need more practice. Why should we not apply the same process to firearms as we do driving licenses? Driving is a privilege and gun ownership is a right, but when firearm related accidents occur they have more life altering effects.

Taken from the 2009 DMV census of traffic accidents:
71.88% = property damage only
27.56% = non-fatal
0.56% = fatal

Open carry was just passed about a month or so ago here in MS. First reaction was that every store/shop started putting up No Guns sign.

Personally I don't care to open carry but I don't have an issue w/those who do so responsibly, it's their right & choice do so. I like the fact that nobody knows I have a pistol myself. I feel like if crap goes down & I was to OC I'd be the first target in the bad guys eyes to take out. That's my opinion & why I choose not to do so. Once again I don't have a problem if someone chooses to OC but IMO they should still be required to have a permit or have to go through some sort of background check before being allowed to carry a firearm whether it be open or concealed.
Once again just my personal opinion.

This is a logical fallacy. It seems to imply that we cannot require someone to undergo training before carrying a firearm because it somehow gives ground for legislators to require training for ownership. I'd be more than happy to display my capabilities in order to obtain a permit since it would filter out those who need more practice. Why should we not apply the same process to firearms as we do driving licenses? Driving is a privilege and gun ownership is a right, but when firearm related accidents occur they have more life altering effects.

Taken from the 2009 DMV census of traffic accidents:
71.88% = property damage only
27.56% = non-fatal
0.56% = fatal

And we have come full circle. The right is not only ownership but also the right to bear arms. And yes firearm related accidents can be life altering. Just as car accidents, construction related accidents, medical accidents, etc.... When things go wrong the consiquences can be devastating. But that doesn't mean we need licensure to exercise our rights. The consiquences of my free speech can be life altering does that mean I need a license to exercise that right? The consiquences of freedom of the press can be life altering, does that mean they need a license? Simple fact is that in life bad things happen. And in a free society sometimes good actions result in bad consiquences. That is the risk we take by living in the manner we are supposed to in this country. The cost of freedom is high and we never get to stop paying for those freedoms.

Why open carry?

The sky isn't falling. In this country we now have more right to keep and to carry a handgun than we've ever had.

I used to open carry when I was younger. I did this because at that time I didn't have my ccw. As soon as I obtained that, I always concealed.

I am also not opposed to someone open carrying to make a point, provided they are still respectful of those who don't care for it and they abide by the law. Does it bother me that some stores post no firearms signs? Sure, but if I believe someone has a right to carry arms, I also have to believe business owners can choose who they do business with.

I have no problem with anyone who is legally able to carry a firearm carrying it, as a cop I often encourage it. However, from a strictly tactical standpoint, concealed carry is probably the best option. I have no doubt that anytime some douche bag enters a bank or 711 in Az to rob the place, he wonders if he will run into someone carrying concealed. That is the way any bad guy should feel and I believe that does deter crime.

Favorite open carry story: I am in line at the corner gas station when a young man walks in. I notice he is open carrying a revolver in some sort of black kydex holster...suspended from the draw string of his sweat pants.

If you ask me, this silly man may think he'll be considered a hero, but rest assured he'll have his fancy pistol confiscated and spend $50 grand for a lawyer before it's all over. If he shoots a man of a different color, right or wrong, he can expect to pay about $1M for lawyers.

But he be kool.

Zimmerman paid about $250K and they pulled out all the stops. I don't know where the $1MM figure comes from.

If I am going to be working outside with a pistol on my side and I have to make a few stops, I'll open carry wherever I go. You nay-sayers can slam me all you want for packing in Alberstons, Academy or wherever I need to go but I won't be taking my belt off to unholster if I need lumber, corn, supplies or whatever. I won't be open carrying just to open carry.

Nicely said, Longshot.

And concealed carry is not the "right." To bear, ie., open carry, is. I believe it was even stated as such in the Heller ruling.

Last edited:
The last time I renewed my CPL in Detroit, the wannabe cop clerks were so surly, and fucking with peeps with their chickenshit, that I nearly said F IT right there. I don't need a permit to carry open or concealed! And nobody needs to be saying shit to me about it.

Comprend eh?

Last edited:
I just don't get it, with so many great methods of concealing a handgun why carry openly in plain sight? I saw a guy in Lowes the other day, with a full-sized 1911 in a leather slide holster- NO retention whatsoever- at about 5-5:30. I was not prepared to fight for the sake of proving a point but I'm sure I could have easily pointed his pistol at him before he knew what happened.
Carrying past 3-330 is not the smartest method of carry same with SOB holsters

Come on guys, if you're going to carry openly think hard about retention. A couple hous later I went to the tire shop and one of the guys there had a full size 1911 carrier open again BUT his was on his side, maybe 3:30 and it was in a Serpa. I commented that I was glad to see him using a holster like that, telling him about the guy at Lowes. His response was that if someone grabbed his 1911 he has a backup, I'm not so sure how that'd pan out either.
Serpas suck flat out, a $20 POS
they're not the rig to trust your life with.
There are better retention rigs out there.

I just thought I'd share some thoughts and get the hide's opinion too. I will continue to conceal, that's the point of a CCW afterall....
Fwiw up here in MI you can OC when you turn 18 but can't CC till your 21
so for those in that age range it's the only way to carry..

The last time I renewed my CPL in Detroit, the wannabe cop clerks were so surly, and fucking with peeps with their chickenshit, that I nearly said F IT right there. I don't need a permit to carry open or concealed! And nobody needs to be saying shit to me about it.

Comprend eh?
You still limited to where you can OC without the CC permit...

Carrying past 3-330 is not the smartest method of carry same with SOB holsters

Serpas suck flat out, a $20 POS
they're not the rig to trust your life with.
There are better retention rigs out there.

First off what is wrong with 4 and 5 o`clock carry? So long as the firearm is not located over the spine there is lots of soft tissue and little else.

And without completely disagreeing with your comment on the SERPA's, can you be more specific in your complaint? I agree that better retention systems exist and the SERPA has short comings. But I personally like mine and trust the retention. The paddle lock mechnism is the weakest point of the system I see. If the user were crawling around in the dirt all day then it would be easy to jam the mechnism up. But for the average person walking around town or on the farm the system seem very adequate.

we have an organization here in MI for open carry supporters. All summer they have been having open carry BBQ's all over the state and they had one here about a month ago....the same time as the big art festival was going on. I'm a very active 2A supporter but I very rarely open carry unless I absolutely have to. My fiancé and I decided to partake in the BBQ so we both open carried that day. Met a lot of nice peeps but there were also a lot of fucktards there and that was the biggest thing that was running though my mind all afternoon was the fact that I could honestly disarm probably 80% of them in a matter of seconds. That was actually the first thing my fiancé said to me when we got there to.

First off what is wrong with 4 and 5 o`clock carry? So long as the firearm is not located over the spine there is lots of soft tissue and little else.
I'm not a big fan of it because of gun grabs someone eyeing you from the back has your gun before you do
I prefer the sidearm butt being inside my elbow

If the user were crawling around in the dirt all day then it would be easy to jam the mechnism up.
I can't dictate when and where a crime will happen.
I can't just assume it's going to be a pretty sunny day with a clean area with no dirt snow mud sand whatever and that's a chance I'm not willing to take
Plan/train for the worse and don't get so complacent that it can't happen to you.
Not alot of trainers allow them in classes either.

I can't dictate when and where a crime will happen.
I can't just assume it's going to be a pretty sunny day with a clean area with no dirt snow mud sand whatever and that's a chance I'm not willing to take
Plan/train for the worse and don't get so complacent that it can't happen to you.
Not alot of trainers allow them in classes either.

No you can't. However with any mechanical device failures can and will happen. That is not something unique to the SERPA design. Bur regardless I agree better designs exist. As for the issue in classes it has nothing to do with jamming of the mechnism rather it has to do with improper use to the holster. And most instructors are backing off of that stance now that it is understood that the failures were not the fault of the device but the failure of the user to employ the device correctly. I used to see the no SERPA thing rather frequently but now not so much.

So, I haven't played with any holsters with retention (other than my leather owb which has a thumb break with snap). I ASSumed the Serpa was good, albeit only as good as the training. What are some other owb holsters with retention to consider?

So, I haven't played with any holsters with retention (other than my leather owb which has a thumb break with snap). I ASSumed the Serpa was good, albeit only as good as the training. What are some other owb holsters with retention to consider?

Personally I find Garrett Industries holsters to be top notch.

I'm glad that kansas, for the most part, allows open carry but the only time that I would personally participate in such would be a social event with others that would be carrying. It's much more sexy to let them wonder what I'm packin'.

Personally I find Garrett Industries holsters to be top notch.

I forgot about them, thanks for reminding me. I looked at their owb but ended up looking at the iwb, I may order a silent thunder for my shield, I like how minimal it is

Zimmerman paid about $250K and they pulled out all the stops. I don't know where the $1MM figure comes from.

Actually, there is ample evidence that the cost of the Zimmerman defense is incalculable, but well over a million dollars. Just the hard costs alone could reach that figure, never mind the legal fees committed to Zimmerman's stellar defense attorneys and expert witnesses.

George Zimmerman’s Defense Cost $500,000, Not Including Lawyer’s Fees [Infographic]
By Lisa Mahapatra
on July 16 2013 12:06 PM

The sum sought by O'Mara does not include his standard fee, which he said in this case would have totaled about $1 million for 16 months' work, or the fees of other lawyers on the defense team, all of whom worked for free. O'Mara said the state's Judicial Administrative Commission rules on reimbursement requests. - REUTERS

But if you ask me, the takeaway is this: if you seem hell bent on open-carrying, for whatever pragmatic or ideological reason, be prepared to pay the consequences in the event things break bad. Even if you are entirely in the right during a shooting, in reality the legal ramifications can be life-altering. Just imagine the differences of a trial for George Zimmerman if he had been proudly open-carrying his 9mm that rainy night in February. Surely he would still be in jail, found guilty of second-degree murder and still owe someone a million bucks.

To those that open carry, be certain of your reasons and woefully cognizant that a split-second decision has repercussions beyond the fleeting thrill of heroism. Be prepared to pay dearly for being right.

Last edited:
I do it here from time to time, but mostly as a protest action. I consider open carry in public where it can be grabbed a little different than open carry in the woods or on your land where it's safer too. It's legal here, and I use a Serpa retention holster for a G17 IF or WHEN I do it. I feel the same way as you about non-concealed open holsters in public in particular. I used to be able to pull the Jackie Chan trick on Beretta pistols (pop the slide off a weapon pointed at you before they could fire the weapon) but that doesn't mean I ever incorporated it into a defense plan. It's just stupid, you know?

The whole Starbucks pistols shit started right down the street a few years back. Cops were called about a guy legally open carrying, cops fuck with him, he leaves. Twenty guys show up next day, all open carrying, cops not so eager to make 'em leave. Resulted in memo to cops reminding them we make the law, they only enforce it. That's how it all started at Starbucks.

So I go to the ground-zero coffee shop a year or two back, and there's this guy with his 1911 SITTING ON THE DAMN TABLE! Right by the front door, while he's reading the newspaper, and if it mattered, no, it wasn't in a retention holster and yes, it looked loaded. You see lots of that in Starbucks --a better thing for the owner to do would have been to go on a retention campaign. It would have accomplished more IMO.

The one or two times I have open carried with an open holster (it got too hot and had to take off the top) it bothered the shit out of me the whole time. I wanted to walk around with my hand on the butt, looking over my shoulder, and I did position my friend behind me a bit due to this and we left early. Even the retention holster bothers me some, because I know I could get your pistol away from you with or without a retention holster if I got the drop on you. That means it can happen to me too.

I can think of better ways to die than by my own pistol in public, and would prefer that my weapons aren't used in any crimes, particularly when they are under my control. But you can't tell these Texas-Walker-Ranger-ninja-SEAL-SF motherfuckers anything. Most plan to use their cat-like reflexes to snatch anyone attempting a grab and throw them in an arm bar; they have a plan see, kinda like the Jackie Chan slide grab. If they don't, they're even dumber than you thought and shouldn't be allowed around firearms at all.

Finally, having it concealed is part of the defense! I know were I to pull a crime off, I'd be looking first for open carry guys first (they'll be more likely to be heroes too) and second for bulges from concealed carry. So all that said, I think the only reason anyone really does it in public is to show off, or else they really are that ignorant or stupid.

I'm not getting how someone didn't see that as "Brandishing a weapon". If there is no need for it to be out of the holster, concealed or open, it should not be out. I'm just amazed people backed off on that one.

Carry method is a tactic. The choice of how (open vs concealed) and where (on your body) you carry should be made from the tactical standpoint. Most of us in our everyday lives should be concealed. Being concealed offers us the most and best tactical advantages.

So what advantage does open carry offer us in our everyday lives? Not much at all given the current CONUS threat assessments. Though if the threat climate changes the tactic of open carry will become the norm. Previous incidents like the LA Riots and post Katrina brought a lot of open carry. This allowed people to posture with open carry telling everyone passing by, "Don't mess with my neighborhood". If or I should say, when we experience our next large scale civil unrest you will see more open carry.

Even from the LE side I stress to the plain clothes cops and detectives that concealed carry is often the best. When I worked in our detective bureau I spent more time just interviewing people than anything else. The act of concealed carry allowed me to gain rapport with people. Though if I was going to a higher threat situation I open carried.

Why open carry?

I'm not getting how someone didn't see that as "Brandishing a weapon". If there is no need for it to be out of the holster, concealed or open, it should not be out. I'm just amazed people backed off on that one.
Brandishing is displaying in a threatening manner. If I unholster, without more, it is not brandishing.

I agree with CB: There is no tactical advantage to open carry without a uniform, a patrol car and backup on the way.

I live in Arizona and we can carry either way without a permit, although Arizona does participate in CCW permits. I usually carry concealed unless I'm at a range or out in the desert or hunting. I prefer to keep what I have hidden and undetected. It never bothers me when people open carry, in fact I enjoy talking to them about their weapon and likes and dislikes, most are very friendly. I know that some people get nervous about open carry, because they are unfamiliar and uneducated about firearms. Some people plain don't like them or are afraid of them. I wish more people would open carry so that people become more desensitized to the sight of a holstered firearm. It's part of our rights here in America and if more people did it maybe it would get people used to being around guns and not being afraid. If they were as common as cell phones the fear seeing people with guns would be less and less.

Brandishing is displaying in a threatening manner. If I unholster, without more, it is not brandishing.

I agree with CB: There is no tactical advantage to open carry without a uniform, a patrol car and backup on the way.

Displaying ostentatiously is also a definition. But, I see what you are saying. Really a case of splitting hairs, if you ask me. Holstered, in public, is a bit more than everyone around you might be ready to chew. Taking it out of the holster is a half a degree more. A lot less necessary I would say. If the holster goes to a point where you can't get the gun, one might find a different holster set-up.

Speaking of splitting hairs, it's this "brinksmanship" attitude that some of us 2A people have that worries me. I don't think that is the approach we should take. Just my $.02.

Why open carry?

Displaying ostentatiously is also a definition.
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit that had he been wearing Armani it might have been an ostentatious display, but you've heard testimony here today that the display was in fact sarcastic and flatulent, yet understated..."