• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

work as a hamat tanker driver

SilentReaper

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi everyone,
months ago I was reading a thread about hazmat tanker drivers in the oil industry. I did a search here and didn't find anything so I'm not sure if it was this forum
or another. I'll be post similar thread on 2 other gun forums. The thread had extensive information about being a hazmat tanker driver in the oil industry
but it didn't answer my question which is ... I just graduated from a state college with 320 hours under my belt. I have my CDL Class A license and tanker and doubles/triples endorsements.
I should have my hazmat endorsement by next week (studying for it now). Does anyone know if oil companies hire students right out of school? I'm in the process of filling out applications
to Halliburton, Cal Frac, Weatherford and Schlumberger now. Thanks for any info anyone can provide me.

User Info
IM User
Email User
Edit

Get over to San Antonio, most of those companies have depots on 37 south, just out of town. Start at Halliburton, the first one you come to, before you make ten miles, you'll have an offer.

Be prepared - have proper work attire ( OSHA boots, workshirt, Carharts and gloves), BE ABLE TO PASS A DRUG SCREEN, not just piss test, hair clipping too, and be ready to work 100+ hours a week. Bring a good attitude and you'll be fine.

I remember a thread here started by an individual that was thinking about going to work in the oil fields. Is that the thread your talking about?

Any particular area you're looking to go to work in? TX, OK, CO, WY, or the cold unholy land known as ND? I know you could easily walk on if you can pass a drug test and have your license and endorsements ready to go in ND but honestly, I wouldn't go that route unless you don't have much else for options (it's a good way to get some experience if you can't get it elsewhere). It's not a fun place to be and it costs a fortune to put a roof over your head up there.

Either way you might not get the big money they're throwing around up there in one of the other more southern hot beds, but it's much easier/cheaper to exist in the other places, which is why they pay what they do in ND. I grew up in northern MN and I wouldn't go to Williston, ND unless I had no other options. Working outdoors in the winters there is straight up evil.

Any particular area you're looking to go to work in? TX, OK, CO, WY, or the cold unholy land known as ND? I know you could easily walk on if you can pass a drug test and have your license and endorsements ready to go in ND but honestly, I wouldn't go that route unless you don't have much else for options (it's a good way to get some experience if you can't get it elsewhere). It's not a fun place to be and it costs a fortune to put a roof over your head up there.

Either way you might not get the big money they're throwing around up there in one of the other more southern hot beds, but it's much easier/cheaper to exist in the other places, which is why they pay what they do in ND. I grew up in northern MN and I wouldn't go to Williston, ND unless I had no other options. Working outdoors in the winters there is straight up evil.

I want to work in Texas. I keep hearing and reading I need 6 months to a year under my belt before I can haul for the big companies.

Drive local, I drove a propane tanker for a year before I got a better offer. Put in an accident free year and you will be able to go to work for any of the big companies.

it all depends on the company. also do not dismiss working for a company like airgas , or any of the other big ones. I hauled liquid carbon dioxide for years. was apid very good money and home most nights. lost my medical last year as am on insulin but stopped driving in 09 and went into another field.
like many other field it is getting harder for companies to find workers that can pass a drug test.

Haliburton here in casper is hiring and so is true oil. North Dakota has lots of positions available and eastern Montana does as well.

Many of the big companies can be applied with online. Some of them ONLY want online applications rather than walkins. I'd look into that route to get some leads before I spent a bunch of money travelling. And if they are really interested, they'll pay your way to/from the interview. Probably need to look into getting a TWIC as well, although most companies will pay for that too. I'm not a truck driver myself and I work offshore, but I've seen enough to know how the bigger outfits operate.

Be sure to have a good, short resume ready and scanned images of your documentation you can attach to the applications. I listened to Hannity on the radio a couple months ago and he was doing a spotlight show on a company that needed oilfield drivers badly, but I can't remember which company it was.

Last edited: