• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You idiots are gonna get fucked...

Anyone who knows data mining and projects regarding BI know...

Then I will have to admit to not knowing much about data mining and BI. But will confess that I am quite a data whore and will share with you just a little bit about how I go about whoring. Since I have the need (curiosity) for many petabytes of data, until recently I used a nifty Hyperion BSO-ASO set up. Because what I'm looking for, for the most part, is patterns within large data sets uploaded 2 minutes ago I have the need for speed. And since the data set is refreshed every day and because it is so large the system (ASO side of things) completely rebuilds itself every night (transparent partitions are wonderful things - but how I do the drop to xml and then rebuild/error check in the flash of an M80 is my own secret, and I don't use MaxL). The data goes into BSO because we have some massive calcs and BSO can do the heavy lifting. The data then goes to ASO about as fast as you can keystroke (jokes please), and here ASO is much, much faster, but the calcs need to be on the lighter side of things. ASO can do a few billion/second. This pretty much makes analyzing every single phone call made in the US a task as simple as pushing a Tonka toy around a small sand box. Especially if they collect only meta-data and not data, but who knows the truth of that matter.

My data sets are far larger than every call made in the US, for an entire year, and I have lots of people that want to latch onto this data, and we all want it faster. So I guess I'm not the only data whore around. Now we have the problem of user concurrency, big time. Along comes in-memory processing for me to consider. An initial objection to using an Exalytics set-up is that we wind up with at least 2 copies of the data, one on disk and one in memory. But, given the budget we have, I say fuck that concern because if we have multiple Exalytic boxes for a given set of users then we can do away with the concurrency problem. On top of that we have no down time during nightly refreshes/rebuilds, and the sun never sets on this operation anyways. At this point we can go Exalytics or something else like SAP's HANA (claiming 400 billion records/second), which means throwing away what we already had. What we came up with is a sort if witches brew (cluster) of technology. What I am willing to wager is that the NSA has LOTS of byte-guzzling data whores. That is neither condemnation nor admiration for them, but I sure as fuck would love to have a peek at their data center.

But all this comes from a guy who has spent far more time with the classics than SQL or MDX, so make of it what you will.

If budget is no concern then look at Teradata. They have a leading mixed workload management capability without the drawbacks of needing aggregated data or sole use of meta-data for analytical. They also have whole solid state warehouse now so your speed needs can be made in warehouse without need for data environment bifurcation.

Semantic modeling and governance will be a concern unless you run the same routines all the time. Large volume of data is not a challenge anymore. For high value explorative analytics there are big data engines that can be run against structured data for graph/pattern analysis.

We tested Teradata and had a problem with more than several hundred concurrent users (we need 2,500+). Throw in several data loads per day and you're not going to stay up for long. I had to see it to believe it but the in-memory solution eliminated the need for aggregated data and is delivering on the desired calc rate (more than 400 billion per second). And we can't break up the data into smaller subsets as it becomes useless. Our system is the largest BI system ever built. I think a pure Hyperion BSO-ASO system has hit 1,200 concurrent users and SAP has not gotten anywhere near that with uber peta sized data sets laden with calcs of any size and complexity.

How long ago was this? You can use TD for real-time analytics and CEP against streaming data.

Not sure the limit on concurrent users but I know one client went live two years ago with 2000+ users on middle office sub ledgers across the asset management line of business.

Just last summer. I am a long way from an infrastructure geek, but Oracle, SAP, and IBM had never seen that level of calc volume and complexity. One Hyperion consulting firm got close but their solution was to offload the heavier calcs, many of which had some type of waterfall component, to multiple cubes in other apps and then bring them back in. And one of the more difficult tasks was in looking for data patterns. The relationships between data points needs to be built on the fly because they are dynamic, and then the calcs are performed based on those relationships. But at their ceiling of 10 billion per second we were going to have to wait several hours (initially it took about a week) for the results. Because some of the calcs are executed on the fly by thousands of users we couldn't get it to work. But once we could eliminate aggregation in the cube and then get the upper level members in memory we were GTG. Exalytics lags far behind HANA, and SAP doesn't have anything that can compete with essbase, so we came up with a hybrid.

This must be how most people feel when I start in on ballistics. Present company excluded of course.

Just last summer. I am a long way from an infrastructure geek, but Oracle, SAP, and IBM had never seen that level of calc volume and complexity. One Hyperion consulting firm got close but their solution was to offload the heavier calcs, many of which had some type of waterfall component, to multiple cubes in other apps and then bring them back in. And one of the more difficult tasks was in looking for data patterns. The relationships between data points needs to be built on the fly because they are dynamic, and then the calcs are performed based on those relationships. But at their ceiling of 10 billion per second we were going to have to wait several hours (initially it took about a week) for the results. Because some of the calcs are executed on the fly by thousands of users we couldn't get it to work. But once we could eliminate aggregation in the cube and then get the upper level members in memory we were GTG. Exalytics lags far behind HANA, and SAP doesn't have anything that can compete with essbase, so we came up with a hybrid.

not to diminish the gravity of the thread, but when opportunity knocks, one must answer.

"if" "they" are listening...(which we know you are)

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is __________ (you already know)

I'm currently willing to laterally transfer to a position(s) in the Federal Government, working for one or in concert for multiple agencies monitoring numerous firearm's orientated blogs, forums, online articles, Youtube, Facebook, and various other digital media in search of non-conformance to mandated regulations, report findings and / or participate as directed for the furtherance of evidence collected.

Willing to start asap, full or part time, at current General Schedule grade.

If interested please contact: _____________ (you already know), references (whom you also already know) upon request.

not to diminish the gravity of the thread, but when opportunity knocks, one must answer.

"if" "they" are listening...(which we know you are)

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is __________ (you already know)

I'm currently willing to laterally transfer to a position(s) in the Federal Government, working for one or in concert for multiple agencies monitoring numerous firearm's orientated blogs, forums, online articles, Youtube, Facebook, and various other digital media in search of non-conformance to mandated regulations, report findings and / or participate as directed for the furtherance of evidence collected.

Willing to start asap, full or part time, at current General Schedule grade.

If interested please contact: _____________ (you already know), references (whom you also already know) upon request.

You just won the internet.

Sounds great and i guess a lot can be analyzed especially given almost unlimited budget for memory or ssd storage arrays, but sorry if i don't buy the notion than one can effectively scan through several terabytes of data (unstructured and raw form) and get meaningful (structured and coherent and not just i will blow... on saturday -> discussion is between wife and a husband who will then instead of a great (yearly) blow on saturday get a men in black visit and at best have to wait another year...) "precrime" type of data on the fly.
Or perhaps they do and they can do pretty much anything but if something like 9/11 happens again they'll be in a tough spot to explain just how they managed to overlook it.

This sounds like the stuff they plan on using for monitoring seismic info at this unnamed job I'm retiring from on April 1st(no foolin'). White devils voodoo, bwana, I'm outa here. Give me a bag of relays, and pushbuttons, I'll make anything work.

This sounds like the stuff they plan on using for monitoring seismic info at this unnamed job I'm retiring from on April 1st(no foolin'). White devils voodoo, bwana, I'm outa here. Give me a bag of relays, and pushbuttons, I'll make anything work.

Congratulations on the upcoming retirement.

hmm..

Hyperion is not a pattern recognition tech. It's purely multideminsonal data intersections wholly dependent on predefined data values and relationships.

eliminate aggregation in a cube. That's not where you deal with aggregations. That's your hierarchies and business measure roll up that feed into your hyperion layer if there is any aggregation in the warehouse to begin with. There are no provisions for unstructured data analysis (hadoop, MapReduce, NoSQL etc) in hyperion. YOu cannot bring data into a undefined cube which your dynamic world seems to suggest you've created. If so, then you've basically completely re-written Hyperion. One would have to wonder why.

Relational 'data points' in a relational warehouse or just a multidimensional cube need to be modeled - first. There is no on the fly building because by definition, the relationships don't exist and also, if you're bringing in new data - entities, attributes etc then you need to have fail-safe data governance and MDM solution that has a near sentient and clairvoyant ETL layer in order to deal with quality, thresholds and referential integrity challenges.

I've worked on, designed and sold some of the most low latency data environments in banking - HFT etc and provided support to designs of non-finance but gargantuan data use-cases (machine data capture from a drill bit and sensory data from jet engines etc) - and while insane analytics and exploratory data mining is not new, I've never seen a use-case such as this in Hyperion. I've not even gone to the number of users. 2,000+ in Hyperion with no predetermined data model, dimensions or even rules all running real time?! I know the Hyperion product team so I'll ask them just in case.

Some of what you've described can be readily handled in Big Data tech, I've seen some far reaching POCs in Yarcdata's and even Endeca and Teradata's AsterData world but not Hyperion.

I would be interested in seeing the benchmark used that shows exalytics running far behind HANA. It's not like columnar tech is earth shattering anymore. For blinding speed Greenplumb was the unsung hero before MSFT bought them or even Neteezza. Case in point - we created a use-case on a standard non-optimized Exadata box that ran 360million cashflows across 60million bank accounts - this is hundreds of billions of records - and it completed in under 70mins for a Liquidity Risk analytical run. The outputs were then cross-analysed with changes to variables and the new run executed in under 11minutes. Again, standard box, not optimized for the query.

Given enough time, budget and patience anything in tech is possible but this begs the question why would you make an elephant fly when you can just get on a plane...

I don't know how the data, such as the call meta data etc, is retrieved/stored/collected or even the form of the data. However, I would guess that the data would be used to flag suspicious activity. I would guess that for this goal they would put in place a classification algorithm that searches through the data and looks for certain patterns. It could be something relatively simple like a logistic regression model or something more advanced like neural nets, SVM, or random forests. The problem to finding suspicious activity would be akin to a credit card company looking for fraudulent charges. Most of the transactions are fine, but a few need to be checked out.

Glad to see the thread is staying on topic.....LOL

hmm..

Hyperion is not a pattern recognition tech. It's purely multideminsonal data intersections wholly dependent on predefined data values and relationships.

eliminate aggregation in a cube. That's not where you deal with aggregations. That's your hierarchies and business measure roll up that feed into your hyperion layer if there is any aggregation in the warehouse to begin with. There are no provisions for unstructured data analysis (hadoop, MapReduce, NoSQL etc) in hyperion. YOu cannot bring data into a undefined cube which your dynamic world seems to suggest you've created. If so, then you've basically completely re-written Hyperion. One would have to wonder why.

Not at all. There is no faster way to aggregate than an ASO essbase cube. Period. We will go public with the project sometime at the end of next year. Please absolutely hold me to this, If you would like a webex demo at that point I will set one up. Every vendor on the planet has put there best up against it and lost.

Data relationships? - DRM (Data relationship Manager). You are definitely on to something here though and we do the dynamic values with SQL. This, among other reasons, is why I know you are legit.
ETL? Only needed if you're kicking it old school - ODI is the schiznit
Calcs - This is core to the Hyperion framework. Calc manager in BSO, MDX in ASO. We have thousands of them.

Just a few thousand users is a lot? Try 20,000 concurrently, and this includes aggregations in an ASO:

https://blogs.oracle.com/BestPerf/entry/hyperion_essbase_aso_world_record

This record has since been shattered.

I don't know why we've taken it this far in this forum.

PM sent

Last edited:
Oh man.....that thread title is misleading! I thought Lowlight was gonna have a party with really easy chicks that even I could score with! Damn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also showed up for the gang bang..

Saw talk of dildos...

Leaving disappointed. :(

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
hmm..

Relational 'data points' in a relational warehouse or just a multidimensional cube need to be modeled - first. There is no on the fly building because by definition, the relationships don't exist and also, if you're bringing in new data - entities, attributes etc then you need to have fail-safe data governance and MDM solution that has a near sentient and clairvoyant ETL layer in order to deal with quality, thresholds and referential integrity challenges.

I've worked on, designed and sold some of the most low latency data environments in banking - HFT etc and provided support to designs of non-finance but gargantuan data use-cases (machine data capture from a drill bit and sensory data from jet engines etc) - and while insane analytics and exploratory data mining is not new, I've never seen a use-case such as this in Hyperion. I've not even gone to the number of users. 2,000+ in Hyperion with no predetermined data model, dimensions or even rules all running real time?! I know the Hyperion product team so I'll ask them just in case.

Some of what you've described can be readily handled in Big Data tech, I've seen some far reaching POCs in Yarcdata's and even Endeca and Teradata's AsterData world but not Hyperion.

I would be interested in seeing the benchmark used that shows exalytics running far behind HANA. It's not like columnar tech is earth shattering anymore. For blinding speed Greenplumb was the unsung hero before MSFT bought them or even Neteezza. Case in point - we created a use-case on a standard non-optimized Exadata box that ran 360million cashflows across 60million bank accounts - this is hundreds of billions of records - and it completed in under 70mins for a Liquidity Risk analytical run. The outputs were then cross-analysed with changes to variables and the new run executed in under 11minutes. Again, standard box, not optimized for the query.

Given enough time, budget and patience anything in tech is possible but this begs the question why would you make an elephant fly when you can just get on a plane...

Ho lee shit....I am apparently not half as intelligent as I thought. Where's my crayons

Ho lee shit....I am apparently not half as intelligent as I thought. Where's my crayons

lol - I'm actually not a hardcore techie, a lot of the above has just been absorbed through mental osmosis rather than intelligence. If you want to feel stupid ask Bohem about something technical...

lol - I'm actually not a hardcore techie, a lot of the above has just been absorbed through mental osmosis rather than intelligence. If you want to feel stupid ask Bohem about something technical...

Dont bother me right now I'm sorting a box of grid squares.

Not at all. There is no faster way to aggregate than an ASO essbase cube. Period. We will go public with the project sometime at the end of next year. Please absolutely hold me to this, If you would like a webex demo at that point I will set one up. Every vendor on the planet has put there best up against it and lost.

Data relationships? - DRM (Data relationship Manager). You are definitely on to something here though and we do the dynamic values with SQL. This, among other reasons, is why I know you are legit.
ETL? Only needed if you're kicking it old school - ODI is the schiznit
Calcs - This is core to the Hyperion framework. Calc manager in BSO, MDX in ASO. We have thousands of them.

Just a few thousand users is a lot? Try 20,000 concurrently, and this includes aggregations in an ASO:

https://blogs.oracle.com/BestPerf/entry/hyperion_essbase_aso_world_record

This record has since been shattered.

I don't know why we've taken it this far in this forum.

PM sent

My points weren't on the user base, but rather the dynamic nature of unstructured or undefined data/dimensions being created on the fly with the zero latency in the ASO. That to me is mindboggling and in actual fact, highly attractive as a solution architecture. I'm working on solving for CCAR, Dodd-Frank and other regs along with agile analytics for pre-deal pricing that includes risk, lifetime value and predictive cross-selling.

I'll be responding to PM in a moment. Really enjoyed this exchange and always grateful for a free education (that doesn't involve frontier style dentistry... :) )

I recall a guy that was really into a book while fishing to the point he forgot there was a leak in the boat. Was the book worth the recovery cost, must have been at that time. Funny you bring up crayons, could be a sign could have save him some table fare.

Data is noise. Need parsing. What if I said, 'The nuclear family bombed on American Idol, causing audience members to soil their pants'?

How many meetings would be convened to discuss that?

Killswitch, hahahahahah.

Anybody have a dustpan I can sweep the few bits of my brain into and take to the ER?

I saw the title and thought Lowlight was throwing a party that included donkeys. In retrospect I guess it couldn't be that as I think that is illegal. It is illegal isn't it? I need to know as it might be good info before going to another bachelor party.

just an update, no job offers for a government internet monitoring position yet. don't know if i used the proper keywords.

but seriously, out of respect for the founder of the forum and in an attempt to get the thread back to page 1, this place is the spot on the net for folks with similar interests, exchanging of info, tips and advice, etc., mostly from the folks that have "been there and done that" whether it was in theater, competitions, or just simply building sporting arms.

with the continuance of it, there has to be a level of self policing and self restraint on what's posted. not every moderator is going to catch something that may detrimental to the continuance of the forum or out of line with the guidelines. this isn't a confessional, a lawyer's office, or a shrink's office. nothing is prone to confidentiality or protection on an open forum, there doesn't need to be a some sort of data collection machine scanning for "illegal or suggested illegal" material, just a guy or gal to log in and take a look every now and then from the agency of "them".

there may also be the day the grown ups have had enough and just pull the plug rather than having to put up with the headaches and liability. it's a great place, no doubt about it, and participating here is truly a privilege that can be threatened in one way or another, force this place to be shut down, lose vendors that provide you stuff, so on and so forth, reducing the quality of the forum that we regard highly. if we didn't regard it as such, we wouldn't be visiting here so much, and i think the point is to preserve it rather than perverse it.

we live in strange times with folks that do bad things on scales that many of us can't comprehend of in schools, shopping malls, movie theaters. at the very least to curb these freaks, "how one got around this or that" shouldn't be out there for these morons to "up" their capabilities.

so the warning from the boss is out there, obviously there must have been something that caused "heat" that triggered the very straightforward warning / reminder to use our heads as responsible adults & firearms enthusiasts. no explanation of what happened is needed or owed, the plainly worded warning to heed is rather simple:

Some of you are not only stupid, but you're fucking stupid and with that, when it comes down to it, you'll lose.

When you post something illegal, or even potentially illegal, when they come around asking who you are... we are gonna give you up so fast, it's not even funny.

We tell you up front that applicable laws matter and not to break them or even suggest breaking them. When you do, even in jest, you'll get snagged and if the law comes asking about you.... to fucking bad, we are happy to help.

Just about every agency on the planet is here watching, you're low hanging fruit and if that means a notch in their belt on your stupidness, do you think they care... hell no.

If you suggest a loophole, talk about how you might or could skirt a law or suggest a loophole or way around something of a legal matter, they are watching.

You've been warned, again... do not expect another , just a permanent ban, immediately.

it's even there in his signature "Watch your words; they become actions".

You guys crack me up..

Our government cant even build a fucking website to sell health insurance and you all think they know all about you?

Give me fucking break

How many of you served in the Military and saw all the stupid shit they could not even get right in theater?

I remember about 20 years ago an anchor was delivered to Ft Carson Colorado for a destroyer.

They cant even process the veteran health claims at the VA...

Seriously!

This is the same government that can not even track how many people have Obama phones, end Medicare fraud, and mails 118 tax refund checks to the same address in Lithuania. It is the same government that has to do an actual head count every 10 years to find out how many people live here.

Remember when I introduced the term "Too big to fix" Well I am going to introduce another one "Too big to function"

They cant even find an airplane 2/3rd's the size of a football field.

Just having a persons IP address does not mean they can find you, especially if you are on a large network using dynamic IP addresses. If you do not have a static IP, good luck finding you. They can find the city you are in but that is about it. And of course, they still need to get a warrant.. Read this http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/366349/can-you-really-be-traced-from-your-ip-address

Normally I get offended when Frank likes to refer to the people that support his form and click those ads so he can make a buck as "idiots" but after reading some of these replies... I understand why.

I still hope that jackass selling primers and shipping USPS priority mail got a knock on the door from the DOT.

Perfect example, this idiot thinks the DOT is the police force for the post office!

If you are trying to sell illegal shit and get caught that is your own stupid luck. I don't see why Frank even needs to say anything about it, if I were him, I'd just let it happen and let the idiots get caught if they can be. No point in banning anyone when they are in jail and cant sign in or can just turn around and make a new account 5 minutes later.

Last edited:
You guys crack me up..

Our government cant even build a fucking website to sell health insurance and you all think they know all about you?

Give me fucking break

How many of you served in the Military and saw all the stupid shit they could not even get right in theater?

I remember about 20 years ago an anchor was delivered to Ft Carson Colorado for a destroyer.

Seriously!

This is the same government that can not even track how many people have Obama phones, end Medicare fraud, and mails 118 tax refund checks to the same address in Lithuania. It is the same government that has to do an actual head count every 10 years to find out how many people live here.

Remember when I introduced the term "Too big to fix" Well I am going to introduce another one "Too big to function"

Just having a persons IP address does not mean they can find you, especially if you are on a large network using dynamic IP addresses. If you do not have a static IP, good luck finding you. They can find the city you are in but that is about it. And of course, they still need to get a warrant.. Read this Can you really be traced from your IP address? | Analysis | Features | PC Pro

Normally I get offended when Frank likes to refer to the people that support his form and click those ads so he can make a buck as "idiots" but after reading some of these replies... I understand why.

Perfect example, this idiot thinks the DOT is the police force for the post office!

If you are trying to sell illegal shit and get caught that is your own stupid luck. I don't see why Frank even needs to say anything about it, if I were him, I'd just let it happen and let the idiots get caught if they can be. No point in banning anyone when they are in jail and cant sign in or can just turn around and make a new account 5 minutes later.
At last....the voice of reason!

Think of the chihuahuas, now free to bark, and the wheelbarrows, liberated from their rusty, oily burdens!

Some people need to be prohibited, but soon, and for good.

2N6pKpt.jpg

Just being a regular reader of this site (not even a member) will likely end you up on a list somewhere.

Just read a article in the paper about a guy who stole a 3-5 karat diamond from the mall, then posted it on face book. He got arrested quick.

Looks like whoever pissed off lowlight should be in the running for the Darwin Award, with the diamond thief.

Of course, the government knows all about me. All, except the Medicare idiots that are still forwarding my insurance claims to an account that was closed two years ago.....and two years of phone calls, letters, and notices from my new supplemental insurance company......

You guys crack me up..

Give me fucking break

Seriously!

Just having a persons IP address does not mean they can find you, especially if you are on a large network using dynamic IP addresses. If you do not have a static IP, good luck finding you. They can find the city you are in but that is about it. And of course, they still need to get a warrant.. Read this Can you really be traced from your IP address? | Analysis | Features | PC Pro

This has merit, but what concerns me more is the possibility that it is this brand of judgment that could be at the core operating principles of those watching this site.

As for being in some agency's crosshairs, so be it. Being here since 2001, if I could be, it would be wise to assume I would be. Paranoia is not a good canvas upon which to paint one's expectations. The way the laws proliferate, and the with manner in which they are conceived, I would think it nigh impossible for a gun owner to evade the clogged web of bureaucratic scrutiny at all.

As for LL giving warning, and indicating his willingness to comply with legal requests, what else would we have him do?

Heads on straight, ladies and germs...

Greg

Last edited:
The way the laws proliferate, and the with manner in which they are conceived, I would think it neigh impossible for a gun owner to evade the clogged web of bureaucratic scrutiny at all.

Depends on what State you are in, some states and local LEO's do not play well with this govt BS and some people in Washington are starting to figure this out.

In case you have not noticed, the more they push the more people they wake up and people are getting fed up with abuse of their rights and the Feds making examples out of people because usually they make a mistake in doing so.

The whole threat of Frank turning our info over to these agencies is like a threat that holds no water. I do not care if he does one way or the other because the info he has is useless against you if it was not obtained by a warrant and that means they need to know who you are FIRST in order to get the warrant. Let us not forget the 4th Amendment. Any information they gain from a source without a warrant can only be used to make you a suspect, further proof would need to be acquired in order to obtain a warrant in your name. So saying something in jest means nothing.

If you have a suppressor, you are on a fed list. I think one list is enough dont you?

If Frank has a problem with people selling illegal shit, delete the thread, report them, ban them, whatever he wants to do. It's his house. Personally, I would not waste the effort because it is a waste of time and I am not into babysitting grown men or making them feel like big brother is watching. We get enough of that shit on the 6:00 news.

Welcome to the Police State everyone, it is even in the very place we crack jokes, share load recipes, and post photos of our ugly fat girlfriends.

Good points all.

However, my own appreciation of this site has already taken something of a dip today for totally different reasons.

I think the time approaches when this place will be doing without me, and probably doing it just fine anyway.

I think we may be in a time when Snipers' Hide has finally and completely outgrown this Elder Fart.

Greg

Last edited:
What a bunch of drama queens. LL said don't post illegal stuff on here and ya'll get a twist in your panties.

What is the big deal? It ain't rocket science.

Besides, I am sure that this stuff is a pain in his ass. One he doesn't want or need.

If this was my site I would have thinned the herd buy 30%.

Yall should be grateful. No one has a gun to your head. You are free to leave anytime...... hopefully without a 4 page drama letter, farewell parade and podium presentation.

Otherwise......I just wouldn't post any illegal or threatening stuff. Seems kind of simple to me.

Carry on..