Zermatt RimX 22LR Review - Bartlein, Benchmark, GM, Krieger, Lilja

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Hessian
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    Alright winds were much calmer tonight then this morning so the 100yd Krieger test was a success. Winds pretty consistent 3-5mph.

To recap, the Krieger shot the best 50yd results of the barrels tested so far, just barely beating the Bartlein but it was so close you can call the 50yd results equal (.005). Well the Krieger beat all the barrels tested to date @ 100yd by a pretty good margin with CenterX. The 10x5 was incredible as well at just barely over 0.6" showing the results were very consistent. A second lot of CenterX was right there with the previous 100yd 6x5 best results just barely over 0.6. The 3rd lot of CenterX shot a respectable 0.75" 6x5. This Krieger sure is shooting very nicely, really looking forward to shooting it at 300 and 400yd after this review is over.

20" Krieger M24
    22LR Match Eachus
    Keystone Accuracy
    100yds
    Prone, Bipod Rear Bag

84F
    3-5 MPH wind

stevenc23

PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Not impressed today at 100 and light tail wind. Lapua Pistol King, Center x, and Midas +. We’re the best at 50 but lacking at 100.
    I think your standards may be too high. For 20 shot groups in variable wind those are pretty dam good groups. Big difference when you go from 5 to 10 and huge difference when you start shooting 20 shot groups (especially in wind).

Messer

Endeavoring to Persevere
    Minuteman
    Jul 25, 2018
    Central Virginia
    Good shooting Padom!

I've been watching these barrel tests from the start. Thank you for taking the time, energy & money to do this.

From what I can see - by a very slight margin, the Krieger seems to be the king of the hill.

From you have seen, what barrel was the most consistent with multiple ammo brands?

Take care,
    Bob S.

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Hessian
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    So I just received these in the mail and they couldnt come soon enough. I had Zermatt send Joel @ JKL Precision a RimX magazine so he could design and make RimX magazine loaders. These are a MUST BUY for anyone running the RimX magazines with the +5 magazine extensions!! 10rd mags you can load just fine with the built in loading tabs to pull down on the follower. If you have the +5 billet extensions installed, you can just barely load 11 rounds into the magazine at which time you no longer have tabs to pull down on to load the last 4. You had to physically grab the greasy/oily stack of match bullets and pull down hard to get the last 4 in. Anyone loading 1000's of rounds in their RimX 15rd mags knows how frustrating this is/was.

Well the new JKL Precision RimX magazine loader is done and it works beautifully! Made this quick little video to show how easy and nice it is. Get with JKL Precision to place your orders!

Big shout out to Joel @ JKL Precision for getting this done! and Ray @Zermatt Arms for helping me out and sending Joel at mag to design off of!..

Reactions: Tx_Aggie

stevenc23

PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Doesn't look like the mag loader is on the site yet. Mind me asking how much they are selling them for? Any feeding issues when running the +5 Mag extension?

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Hessian
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Doesn't look like the mag loader is on the site yet. Mind me asking how much they are selling them for? Any feeding issues when running the +5 Mag extension?
    I literally just got home from being away for the weekend and found this in my mailbox for testing. I emailed Joel and let him know it works beautifully. Email them if you want to place an order.

I have zero issues with the +5 magazine extensions. They feed and run just like the 10rd mags before the extensions were installed. I have probably 2000rd or so through my 3 mags with the 3 +5 extensions installed.

reubenski

First Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO
    For the guys I know personally that have purchased the +5 mag extension it's been a mixed bag in terms of function and reliability. Luckily, Ive had no problems. Definitely going to pick up Joel's mag loader

Redfisher60

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 30, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    For the guys I know personally that have purchased the +5 mag extension it's been a mixed bag in terms of function and reliability. Luckily, Ive had no problems. Definitely going to pick up Joel's mag loader
    Any idea on what makes some function and some not? Shot a match last week with a guy shooting a Rim-x who said his were not working, didn’t have time to get into why. My barreled action arrives at the end of the week.

reubenski

First Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Any idea on what makes some function and some not? Shot a match last week with a guy shooting a Rim-x who said his were not working, didn’t have time to get into why. My barreled action arrives at the end of the week.
    I can't speak for one guys I know with one, but the other it seems like not enough spring tension. He called Zermatt. They told him to stretch the spring. He did. It worked for a mag or two and then didn't. I didn't even stretch my spring and haven't had an issue, but I did lube my follower.

stevenc23

PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I am having feeding issues with the +5 extension. Still trying a few things with the help of Zermatt but for me it appears not enough spring tension (and yes spring is correctly positioned). Wondering if I am "that guy" that both of you are referencing LOL

reubenski

First Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I am having feeding issues with the +5 extension. Still trying a few things with the help of Zermatt but for me it appears not enough spring tension (and yes spring is correctly positioned). Wondering if I am "that guy" that both of you are referencing LOL
    You are one of them. 😁

Redfisher60

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 30, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    You shoot Boulder rimfire?

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Hessian
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Interesting. You are 100% sure the spring is installed properly in the +5 extension? There is no way to know this unless you very slowly/carefully remove the +5 extension to see where the bottom of the spring sits.

The first day I got my extensions, I had all kinds of problems and called Zermatt. I must have installed and removed the damn extensions 100x till I discovered what was happening which was not easy to see. Once I saw it I knew exactly how to fix it... Reinstalled all 3 extensions properly and Ive never had a spring tension or feeding issue again after 2000+ rounds. If the spring isnt installed correctly there WILL BE weak spring tension to push up on the rounds. Its very noticeable the weak vs proper spring tension when you have the spring installed incorrectly vs correctly because you arent getting the full tension of the spring straight up and down....

Not sure if thats your issue or not, but thats the issue I had on day 1 and its never been a thought, concern or issue again after discovering and fixing it. Thats why I made that video for everyone on how to install the mag extensions.

stevenc23

PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Interesting. You are 100% sure the spring is installed properly in the +5 extension? There is no way to know this unless you very slowly/carefully remove the +5 extension to see where the bottom of the spring sits.

The first day I got my extensions, I had all kinds of problems and called Zermatt. I must have installed and removed the damn extensions 100x till I discovered what was happening which was not easy to see. Once I saw it I knew exactly how to fix it... Reinstalled all 3 extensions properly and Ive never had a spring tension or feeding issue again after 2000+ rounds. If the spring isnt installed correctly there WILL BE weak spring tension to push up on the rounds. Its very noticeable the weak vs proper spring tension when you have the spring installed incorrectly vs correctly because you arent getting the full tension of the spring straight up and down....

Not sure if thats your issue or not, but thats the issue I had on day 1 and its never been a thought, concern or issue again after discovering and fixing it. Thats why I made that video for everyone on how to install the mag extensions.
    Yes 100%. Watched your video before I even got the extensions. I did confirm by slowly cracking open the extension and confirming.

Redfisher60

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 30, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    Yes 100%. Watched your video before I even got the extensions. I did confirm by slowly cracking open the extension and confirming.
    My experience with mag extensions and springs is primarily related to pistols, But I would think that adding a five round extension would benefit from a longer/stronger spring. My action came in today, but I'm out of town, so I'l have to wait until Sunday to test my 15 rounders.

stevenc23

PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    Denver, CO
    My experience with mag extensions and springs is primarily related to pistols, But I would think that adding a five round extension would benefit from a longer/stronger spring. My action came in today, but I'm out of town, so I'l have to wait until Sunday to test my 15 rounders.
    Still gathering information and making adjustments to rifle and the magazines. Will post my findings after I have an opportunity to put the rifle/mag through its paces.

Redfisher60

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 30, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    Still gathering information and making adjustments to rifle and the magazines. Will post my findings after I have an opportunity to put the rifle/mag through its paces.
    You were running a stock and not a chassis if I remember correctly, I'm tossing mine in a n MPA, we'll see how that works. If it makes anybody feel better my brand new Vudoo aluminum 15 rounders don't work either . . . but at least they were half the price of the Rim-X mags ($90ish vs $180. :)

Reactions: dwt