• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zermatt RimX 22LR Review - Bartlein, Benchmark, GM, Krieger, Lilja

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    Got my RimX thanks to the guys and gals over @Zermatt Arms. Big thanks to Ray, Aaron, Robbie and the rest of the crew! When buying a Zermatt product, everyone knows they are not only receiving an extremely high-quality product but some of the best customer service in the game. With so many options these days, the customer service is just as important as the product your buying.

For this review and testing all barrels have/will be chambered by Keystone Accuracy with my 22LR match reamer and headspace is set to .046 (minimum on RimX is 0.0455"). Big thanks to Keystone Accuracy for doing the barrel work for this review and turning everything around quickly.

Blanks have been donated for the review by Bartlein, Benchmark, Keystone Accuracy (Green Mountain), Krieger and Lilja. Big thank you to these companies for supporting the Snipers Hide community! Gotta throw a shout out to Don over at Bullet Central for getting me a Bix'n Andy TacSport Pro 2 Stage all squared away with flat trigger shoe, the correct sear and set to my desired pull weight and sent back to me ready to go for this review. Another great example of top-notch customer service!

MDT has sent over their new XRS Chassis to be used for this review along with their CYKE-POD. Big thank you to Kyle and the rest of the crew over @MDT_OFFICIAL for continuing to support Snipers Hide and these reviews. MDT continues to release new products at a blistering pace while maintaining quality and innovating new features. They also are another company that has top notch customer service!

All barrels will finish at 20", have the same chamber, headspace, contour (M24) and 1/2-28 muzzle threads. I’ll be using a Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 APRS1 MIL for the entire review thanks to Doug @gr8fuldoug over at CameraLand!

Now on to the RimX itself. Initial impression reminded me of a Origin. Fit and finish look excellent. I find nothing cheap about the action or any corners cut.

When cycling the bolt, it is extremely smooth and fast. No binding or roughness. On my first outing, which was a 50mph windy day just to get some rounds down the barrel and get a rough zero in my buddies back yard I tried to jam up the action. I was shooting Lapua Pistol King and ran the bolt as fast as humanly possible without a single jam, misfeed, etc. It was smooth as butter and fast. I shot 60rd that short session and not a single issue with the action or the magazine.

Lets talk about this magazine. It is a thing of beauty. Machine from 7075 aluminum and put together in 2 halves so you can fully disassemble and clean the magazine. It is height adjustable so you can fit the magazine to your chassis/stock setup as there are so many stock options on the market. This was a nice touch to add to the magazine. I had zero feeding issues and didn’t need to adjust anything out of the box to run it in the MDT XRS. It ran perfect with 100% reliability from the start. Only complaint, having 1 mag to keep reloading during this review when testing. Haha. That’s not really a complaint but is the only thing I could bitch about at the range.

Test Setup

Zermatt RimX 30moa
    RimX 10rd magazine
    XLR Envy Pro Folding Chassis
    Harris Bipod
    Bix’N Andy TacSport Pro 2 Stage
    Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 APRS1 MIL
    22LR Match Eachus chamber
    0.046 Headspace

Last edited:
    First barrel to start the testing is the Bencharmk. Its a 1:16.5" 3 groove blank. Barrel was contoured by Benchmark to M24 and they sent the blank measuring 22" with instructions to cut 1" off each end to finish at 20". Benchmark taper laps their blanks so they want to make sure the blank is 2" longer than your desired finish length with instructions to cut 1" off each end which is exactly what Keystone Accuracy did.

Temps were 55F and had a gusty wind of 13-15mph. Goal of this outing was to get 500rd or so down the barrel before really testing accuracy. I shot different type of ammo, with and without suppressor @ 50yds. Due to the wind I didnt waste a bunch of ammo @ 100yd, just checked zero then shot a group of some of the best performing. No cleaning between ammo.

Some of the ammo was performing better than others but all in all, it was not picky which is what I always like to see. The big surprise for me was how well this new brick of SK Standard + performed for the money. Definitely a great training ammo. The RWS R50 wants to hammer for sure and that one lot of CenterX was really shooting great. Next outing, I will clean the barrel, shoot a few fouler groups and stick with one type of ammo for the session so as not to mix ammo and see how it performs.

Last edited:
    hey, padom... Do the same thing when the 17WSM stuff is ready, huh?

Well my only complaint has been resolved by the great customer service over at Zermatt! A few more mags are on the way. Already in the mail.
    I was just going to suggest that you try your Vudoo mags. 2 guys at my match today both said that Vudoo mags work in a RimX but RimX won't work in a Vudoo.

Not pertinent for your needs with more mags inbound, but someone else may benefit from the info.

Reactions: Trent A and padom
    So I cleaned the barrel after the last outing. Bore scoped and it was nice and clean. Took it back out to try and get the R50 to shoot consistently. Shot 30rd through it then shot a 10shot group then a 5x5. Damn ammo wants to shoot but its so inconsistent from group to group. Produces some of the smallest groups out of this rifle then 0.6 then tight as hell then 0.8. Im over it.

Shot some 6x5 with the 2 best lots of CenterX. That same lot from the last outing is just hammering and extremely consistent.

Next up, I'll shoot some 6x5 @ 100yd then will move on to the next barrel. Long distance testing will have to wait. My regular range to 700yd is closed due to COVID. The range im shooting at now only goes to 100yd.

Not a single hang up, FTF or anything. 100% reliable and bolt cycling was smooth as butter.

Last edited:
    Alright I got back out today to shoot this RimX with the Benchmark today. Not 100% calm but the calmest outing Ive had yet. 3-7mph wind today temp was 58F. I wanted to shoot the best lot of CenterX and FGMM UltraMatch @ 100yds. While the CenterX wanted to shoot, it just wasnt consistent throwing flyers in every group. I didnt even bother to measure but its the row above the UltraMatch. The Ultramatch on the other hand was shooting excellent. If I could get a 100% calm day this can average 0.5" or less for sure. It shot so well, I decided to shoot a 6x5 with it at 50yd and it did great. This Ultramatch has been the best, most consistent performer in all 22lr barrels cut with my custom reamer. (It says R50 on the inside tab of the Ultramatch box. haha

100yds 6x5 0.630 AGG

50yds 6x5 0.276 AGG

Interesting test, and good shooting on your part padom! I'm very much looking forward to the results with the Bartlein as compared to the Krieger. Two of my V-22s have Kriegers that I've chambered/fitted, the other has a Bartlein purchased as a bbl'd action direct from VGW. The heavy Krieger & Bartlein are so close - on a given day, one may be better than the other, and the next time out, it's the other way round.

I've only done one Benchmark 3-groove bbl; put it on my 1st 40X repeater conversion from jelrod a few years ago. That was only the 2nd 22RF bbl I'd ever chambered, and IIRC, my original EPS reamer crapped-out while cutting the chamber in that bbl. It always shot ok, but several Kriegers, a Lilja titebore, one Bartlein, and a couple of Shilen ratchet rifled bbls were as good or better with SK, Lapua, and Eley ammo. I sold that 40X, but always wondered if the Benchmark didn't get a fair shake with that reamer issue. I'm also very interested in seeing how the Green Mountain bbl compares to the others - very seldom hear any really negative feedback on their barrels.

At any rate, really appreciate you taking the time & effort into doing this test/review.

Interesting test, and good shooting on your part padom! I'm very much looking forward to the results with the Bartlein as compared to the Krieger. Two of my V-22s have Kriegers that I've chambered/fitted, the other has a Bartlein purchased as a bbl'd action direct from VGW. The heavy Krieger & Bartlein are so close - on a given day, one may be better than the other, and the next time out, it's the other way round.

I've only done one Benchmark 3-groove bbl; put it on my 1st 40X repeater conversion from jelrod a few years ago. That was only the 2nd 22RF bbl I'd ever chambered, and IIRC, my original EPS reamer crapped-out while cutting the chamber in that bbl. It always shot ok, but several Kriegers, a Lilja titebore, one Bartlein, and a couple of Shilen ratchet rifled bbls were as good or better with SK, Lapua, and Eley ammo. I sold that 40X, but always wondered if the Benchmark didn't get a fair shake with that reamer issue. I'm also very interested in seeing how the Green Mountain bbl compares to the others - very seldom hear any really negative feedback on their barrels.

At any rate, really appreciate you taking the time & effort into doing this test/review.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to how all these blanks compare as well. See the Vudoo thread, you'll see how this same Benchmark 3 groove is performing on my V22..

Appreciate all your testing and some great shooting. Like to hear some thoughts on the XRS specifically since this is on my radar due to T-Rex arms.
    Also is the action bedded or just torqued in?

Appreciate all your testing and some great shooting. Like to hear some thoughts on the XRS specifically since this is on my radar due to T-Rex arms.
    Also is the action bedded or just torqued in?

The XRS has been great for the money. It obviously doesn't lack in the accuracy department. Feels good. Nope just tighten with an Allen wrench..no bedding

Reactions: phxfa and Dawhit
    It would be cool if you could get sponsered with a large lot of quality ammo so you have consistency across all the barrels.

How much of that federal Ultra match do you have?

@padom Do you have an ETA on Green Mountain barrel? I’m jumping on the Keystone sell and was wondering if the Benchmark/Krieger worth $200 over GM in a rimfire.

@padom Do you have an ETA on Green Mountain barrel? I’m jumping on the Keystone sell and was wondering if the Benchmark/Krieger worth $200 over GM in a rimfire.

Well you and everyone else. That's the whole point of this review. Lol. It next up, that's all I know. Hopefully the next week or two we will know, weather permitting

Got the Green Mountain out for the first time today to get some rounds down the barrel and see how it shoots. It did not disappoint. Keystone Accuracy is marking the blank make on the bottom of each barrel so I know what it what with all these barrels in the safe. Heck of a value at the $325 sale price Keystone has them going for right now. Everything shot at 50yd to today. The first 100rds out of the barrel with FGMM "Match" 922A are at the bottom right corner of the target labeled in the order I shot them. First 50rds down the barrel # 1, 2 and 3. I then shot a 20rd group labeled #4 which measures right at 0.40"! Not bad for 20rd @ 50yds. Then I decided to shoot the last 30rd in the box as one group. It was very nice. the one flyer in the 30rd opened the group up to 0.9" but the other 29rds shot into a nice 0.55" group. Cant complain about that.

I then started at the top of the target and shot left to right 10x5... Target says 6x10, I wrote it wrong. 10 groups, 5 shots each. The CenterX again shot amazing, with the best 6x5 measuring 0.233" and 6x10 0.285". Very very happy with those results. Whats even more impressive is the 0.01" 5 shot group in that string. Thats a true one hole group right there, not to mention the 0.044" group as well in that string.

The last lot I tested for the day, # 11 shot great except for the flyer on 7th group. It was a bad round in the lot. It had a serous crack when it went off, was definitely supersonic unlock the rest.

Really looking forward to shooting this barrel at 100yds. So far, a heck of a barrel for the money!

Here's a video shooting 6x5 3 mags. This RimX doesnt miss a beat. It amazes me how smooth the bolt cycling is. No binding, no roughness, lightning fast. Extracts and ejects every time. Camera angle could have been better but Ill get another video from the side when I shoot the 10x5's @ 100yds next.

Got the Green Mountain out for the first time today to get some rounds down the barrel and see how it shoots. It did not disappoint. Keystone Accuracy is marking the blank make on the bottom of each barrel so I know what it what with all these barrels in the safe. Heck of a value at the $325 sale price Keystone has them going for right now. Everything shot at 50yd to today. The first 100rds out of the barrel with FGMM "Match" 922A are at the bottom right corner of the target labeled in the order I shot them. First 50rds down the barrel # 1, 2 and 3. I then shot a 20rd group labeled #4 which measures right at 0.40"! Not bad for 20rd @ 50yds. Then I decided to shoot the last 30rd in the box as one group. It was very nice. the one flyer in the 30rd opened the group up to 0.9" but the other 29rds shot into a nice 0.55" group. Cant complain about that.

I then started at the top of the target and shot left to right 10x5... Target says 6x10, I wrote it wrong. 10 groups, 5 shots each. The CenterX again shot amazing, with the best 6x5 measuring 0.233" and 6x10 0.285". Very very happy with those results. Whats even more impressive is the 0.01" 5 shot group in that string. Thats a true one hole group right there, not to mention the 0.044" group as well in that string.

The last lot I tested for the day, # 11 shot great except for the flyer on 7th group. It was a bad round in the lot. It had a serous crack when it went off, was definitely supersonic unlock the rest.

Really looking forward to shooting this barrel at 100yds. So far, a heck of a barrel for the money!

Good shooting looks like you have a winner. Your groups look good. Keep up the good work. As a side note it seems like you are shooting better than Orkan is. His barrel actions start at over 2 grand. Could you tell us why his are worth 2grand plus when your shoo just as good for far less. Does he have some secret way of chambering we dont know. He posted his last 150 shots went into or group at .260. or he shot 150 shots that shot .260. I am wandering if all of us 22 shooters need to have Orkan build our guns

Wind has been crazy the last few days. More wind and rain tomorrow. Hoping for Thursday to get out and shoot the GM at 100yd.

Could you pull the bolt ass'y apart and show all the parts? I'm interested in the fire control assembly.
    6 o'clock FP on a repeater is very interesting!
    I would also love to see a slow-mo video of the feeding cycle.

Just got back from the range. FINALLY caught a day with virtually no wind. Got there at 8am after looking at the weather and seeing it dead out there. Had some 5mph gusts here and there but Ill call that dead compared to the last month of windy days! This Keystone Accuracy RimX Green Mountain is straight hammering at both 50yd and 100yds. Some tiny ass groups laid down and awesome 10x5 and 6x5 numbers. Best deal on RimX barrels going right now for the money.

Zermatt RimX
    20" Keystone Accuracy Green Mountain
    22LR Match Eachus chamber (my custom chamber)
    100yds
    0-5mph infrequent breeze
    56F

This chamber continues to shot it shoots almost everything I throw at it good. I have not lot tested or cherry picked this as magical ammo. I grabbed and shot 2 lots of new bricks of CenterX I just received and shot at 50yds, and same lot of Ultramatch Ive been shooting. Shot them all great. That best group of 0.187" is just awesome. This Keystone Accuracy GM has shot my personal best in group size at both 50 and 100yd, best 6x5's, and 10x5's.

I have ever shot fired on the below target on video from this morning. Just gotta pull it off my 4K camcorder and post it up. At $1425 for a barreled action or $325 for one of these prefit barrels, one heck of a deal if you ask me with Keystone Accuracy's current sale!

Best 10x5: 0.662"
    Best 6x5: 0.592"
    Best Group: 0.187"

Just got back from the range. FINALLY caught a day with virtually no wind. Got there at 8am after looking at the weather and seeing it dead out there. Had some 5mph gusts here and there but Ill call that dead compared to the last month of windy days! This Keystone Accuracy RimX Green Mountain is straight hammering at both 50yd and 100yds. Some tiny ass groups laid down and awesome 10x5 and 6x5 numbers. Best deal on RimX barrels going right now for the money.

Zermatt RimX
    100yds
    0-5mph infrequent breeze
    56F

This chamber continues to shot it shoots almost everything I throw at it good. I have not lot tested or cherry picked this as magical ammo. I grabbed and shot 2 lots of new bricks of CenterX I just received and shot at 50yds, and same lot of Ultramatch Ive been shooting. Shot them all great. That best group of 0.187" is just awesome. This Keystone Accuracy GM has shot my personal best in group size at both 50 and 100yd, best 6x5's, and 10x5's.

I have ever shot fired on the below target on video from this morning. Just gotta pull it off my 4K camcorder and post it up. At $1425 for a barreled action or $325 for one of these prefit barrels, one heck of a deal if you ask me with Keystone Accuracy's current sale!

that’s some good shooting.

must resist the sale. It’s a dang good price.

Not to derail the thread but what was the price on the deuce going to be?

Rimx barreled Action is saving 400 bucks over a vudoo

Zermatt RimX
    100yds
    0-5mph infrequent breeze
    56F

Wow! That's extremely consistent 30 groups. (y)

Here's 3 boring ass videos of me shooting all 150rd on the above posted 100yd target for anyone that cares. And a 4th video picking up the camera at the firing line and walking to the 100yd backstop to show the target just shot. You know, because this is the internet and video or it never happened.

I love how the gun doesn’t move at all. Nice shooting

thanks for the videos

Reactions: padom