• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zermatt RimX 22LR Review - Bartlein, Benchmark, GM, Krieger, Lilja

I got out yesterday morning right after the rain stopped. Dead calm, I checked between every type of ammo on the Kestrel, not a measurable amount of wind to be found. Not a branch or leaf moving. Calmest day Ive shot during this entire review. Temp was 68F and humidity was 87%.

I ranged the target with my laser @ 102yd. Took a picture as best I could to show through the rangefinder. I had 2 cameras recording video at both the firing line and at the target showing every impact on the below target. Ill get that uploaded either later today or tomorrow.

Long story short, the Bartlein was just barely larger than the GM with the same ammo @ 100yd but it was extremely close. We are talking a difference of 0.04"... The biggest suprise though.... was the SK+ shot those numbers and continued with its 50yd performance at 100yds. This is amazing. Especially with 3 groups under 0.5"... Really nice to see this ammo/Barrel combo shooting almost identical to the GM CenterX and UM22 results @ 100yds.... Crazy how poorly SK RM shot, dropping super low into the SK+ targets. Youll see those impacts as they are shot on the 4K target video Ill upload shortly.

Not only did I order a few more bricks/lots of CenterX, I got some more SK+ on the way to see how it compares in this barrel to my current lot.

Next up is the Krieger.. Really interested in how this compares to the group as Ive never owned or shot a Krieger 22LR barrel to date...

Last edited:
You planning on shooting that R50 I sent you? I'm pretty curious as to whether your chamber just doesn't like R50, or whether you just have had some bum lots. The lot I sent you has shot extremely well in over half a dozen of my rifles.

You planning on shooting that R50 I sent you? I'm pretty curious as to whether your chamber just doesn't like R50, or whether you just have had some bum lots. The lot I sent you has shot extremely well in over half a dozen of my rifles.

Yep, as soon as I screw that Benchmark back on. I would like to keep it as apples to apples comparison to your Benchmark/chamber.. don't want to shoot it in one of these other barrels. Ill screw it on and shoot it after this Krieger....the last barrel in this review hasn't shipped from Lilja yet so ill put the Benchmark back on.

Tbh the only reason I haven't ordered a RimX already is that I like the short bolt throw on my T1X. Debating if that is minor enough that I wont miss it if I get a RimX. Padoms results are amazing which is making it more and more likely that I get a rimx.
You should wait on the new Vudoo, it will have the shorter bolt throw. That's what I'm doing.

Reactions: K80/6.5
@padom

Most interesting results. For example with the SK+ the precision of one 5 shot group will be determined by vertical dispersion and the next by horizontal dispersion. Truly ammunition roulette in a five shot CTC group at 100 yd.

Reactions: Emerson0311
So I cleaned the barrel after the last outing. Bore scoped and it was nice and clean. Took it back out to try and get the R50 to shoot consistently. Shot 30rd through it then shot a 10shot group then a 5x5. Damn ammo wants to shoot but its so inconsistent from group to group. Produces some of the smallest groups out of this rifle then 0.6 then tight as hell then 0.8. Im over it.

Thanks for putting the time in to do this comparison, really great work.

As a 22lr neophyte, what is the explanation on the good then bad groups with the R50? It would seem from a statistical point of view that a "bad" group would look like 4 in a tight group then one flier representing a random bad round. The larger groups you have look more evenly distributed, just in a larger size. Then the next group is super tight.

Thanks for putting the time in to do this comparison, really great work.

As a 22lr neophyte, what is the explanation on the good then bad groups with the R50? It would seem from a statistical point of view that a "bad" group would look like 4 in a tight group then one flier representing a random bad round. The larger groups you have look more evenly distributed, just in a larger size. Then the next group is super tight.

The lot... that's why we lot test

@padom

Most interesting results. For example with the SK+ the precision of one 5 shot group will be determined by vertical dispersion and the next by horizontal dispersion. Truly ammunition roulette in a five shot CTC group at 100 yd.

The conditions have even more of an impact than the ammo at 100yds, if the ammo is even kind of good.

If the wind is full value, a 1mph wind + or - will give you nearly 2 tenths of a mil of deviation. That's essentially a 3/4" horizontal that will show up if it drops from 10mph to 9mph, not to mention the tenth of a mil vertical that will accompany it if it's changing angle at all. There just aren't a lot of people walking around that can read a 1mph wind variation without about half a dozen flags between the shooter and the 100yd line.

So the 6x5 you posted is from more than one lot? If so, that makes sense. If not, I still don't see how in one box you can get 5 "consistent" rounds, then 5 not so consistent, and so on. Of course, just like throwing multiple die, randomness can occur enough times to appear like a pattern and not be.

Reactions: Emerson0311
So the 6x5 you posted is from more than one lot? If so, that makes sense. If not, I still don't see how in one box you can get 5 "consistent" rounds, then 5 not so consistent, and so on. Of course, just like throwing multiple die, randomness can occur enough times to appear like a pattern and not be.

No 1 lot. And I've tested that same R50 in 3 barrels now. Exact same results.

It happens. ... and it happens FREQUENTLY. Bad lots of ammo of high class pedigree, will very frequently have 5-10 random rounds in the box that will just stink up the place. You can get those 5-10 back to back, or you can get them scattered throughout the box. It's totally random. As mentioned... this is why it's important to lot test. Firing 100rnds from a lot in one rifle, is usually a good indicator of its potential.

Thanks, guys. I am quickly learning that 22lr is a finicky system. However, after shooting my first NRL22 match last weekend I am hooked. I am reading the threads both of you guys (and others, of course) have going with great interest.

Reactions: orkan
Padom - I'll be watching with interest to see how you get along with the Krieger on your RimX, and especially how it compare to the Bartlein. In the very short few years that I've been doing 22RF bbl work, I've done Kriegers on a Stiller 2500XR, a jelrod-converted 40XB repeater, and two V-22s. I think they're amazingly consistent, considering my lack of experience in chambering .22s. My only reamer at this point in time is an EPS from PTG. Would consider using something else if there was a design out there specifically for SK/Lapua that's proven to have an advantage over the EPS chamber.

I do have one Bartlein 22RF bbl - it was purchased as a bbl'd action on the last V-22 I bought for myself, so has Mike's RAVAGE chamber. It's a 22" Kukri, and on any given day, it and the 22" Krieger sendero on another V-22 will take turns being the most accurate with any/all of my select lots of SK Std+, Rifle Match, LR Match, and Lapua Center-X.

I'm now 68yrs old, and have some rather minor issues with cataracts. I think it's getting harder to see good enough to shoot really consistently, even with good scopes, and this also varies day-to-day. Last visit to the eye doc for my annual exam was just a couple of weeks ago, but based on what he saw, he wants me back in 6 months rather than wait a year. Not crazy about letting someone cut on my eyes, but...

Just sent in the email to keystone for 2 rim x BA. I was originally set on bartlein barrels but John talked me into the green mountains. Went 20" m24 on both. I was lost here and couldn't make up my mind. I want heavier ish and balanced. Will be shot prone majority of the time and they will both start off in krg bravos. Sometimes suppressed. Hope I made the right choice.... But am super excited!!!

Just sent in the email to keystone for 2 rim x BA. I was originally set on bartlein barrels but John talked me into the green mountains. Went 20" m24 on both. I was lost here and couldn't make up my mind. I want heavier ish and balanced. Will be shot prone majority of the time and they will both start off in krg bravos. Sometimes suppressed. Hope I made the right choice.... But am super excited!!!
I think you have made the right decision. I went out shooting my B14R and RimX yesterday to compare them just for myself.
The RimX has the 20“ m24 contour keystone barrel John did for me and I screwed on myself. Both rifles have a tt diamond and the same athlon ares scope installed. Everybody looking at this please have in mind that the shooter is relatively inexperienced, about 750 rounds in shooting from a wooden table with bipod and rear bag just learned by reading here on this website. Prone not allowed on the range. These are all contentious 10 shoot groups, not as good as Orkan and Padom yet lol, but I can dream they will one day.
The worst groups are clearly shooter errors mainly breathing and cheek weld (heart rate in scope visual).
I think they are two perfect 22lr training rifles and can‘t imagine there will be better ones (don’t own a vudoo).
Both function perfect as far as I can say, including the tt diamonds set to 8.5 ounces.
4A4085AA-912D-4874-AD5F-88814FF9F0D3.jpeg

You definitely want in on the Bartlein carbon fiber group buy....we need a few more to make it work.:devilish:

Reactions: SkyScrapin
You definitely want in on the Bartlein carbon fiber group buy....we need a few more to make it work.:devilish:
Trust me, its taken everything I have to not jump in. I'm a sucker for carbon! Just not sure if its worth the $$

Can we go deeper on this real quick, for the uneducated?
The extraction system on the RimX is flush mount with the front of the bolt nose. This removes the necessity to cut extractor grooves into a barrel, which are notoriously difficult to time properly and ensure the extractors are sitting correctly as to not affect accuracy. By consequence, this gives the ability for you to swap out your own barrels, if you like messing with differently configured barrels or chambers, as many of us do.

Combine that with the 6:00 firing pin, tool-less bolt design, flawless feeding/extraction/ejection, best magazines available, and superior bolt lift and operation ergo's... and the RimX becomes the best 22lr repeater action available.

Thanks for the read, appreciate the link. So this guy has his own rimfire reamer? I have never seen nor heard of it. Where can I get/see a drawing for the reamer?

Thanks for the read, appreciate the link. So this guy has his own rimfire reamer? I have never seen nor heard of it. Where can I get/see a drawing for the reamer?

Not hard to have your own reamer. Just call up your favorite reamer maker and give them dimensions, and poof... you have your own. We have two 22LR Primal reamers. Our own design. :)

The extraction system on the RimX is flush mount with the front of the bolt nose. This removes the necessity to cut extractor grooves into a barrel, which are notoriously difficult to time properly and ensure the extractors are sitting correctly as to not affect accuracy. By consequence, this gives the ability for you to swap out your own barrels, if you like messing with differently configured barrels or chambers, as many of us do.

Combine that with the 6:00 firing pin, tool-less bolt design, flawless feeding/extraction/ejection, best magazines available, and superior bolt lift and operation ergo's... and the RimX becomes the best 22lr repeater action available.

Super helpful, thx.

Not hard to have your own reamer. Just call up your favorite reamer maker and give them dimensions, and poof... you have your own. We have two 22LR Primal reamers. Our own design. :)
Thanks for taking the time to post the drawing. (y)

You guys pushed me over the edge I now have a new reamer and my action should ship in July!
Can‘t wait!!

Krieger is screwed on and ready to go. I plan to get out Wednesday or Thursday if the weather permits.
Oh no, stop it.... I bought already a GM and have a Bartlein coming too because of you lol

Reactions: padom
Don't worry I only have 1 more after the Krieger...Lilja is scheduled to be here Wednesday.
"Here", as in spun up and ready to shoot, or just delivered to Keystone? Either way, that was a fairly sudden change from the last time we chatted. Glad they finally got them out to you!

Well, I'll wager you're the only one that's taken the time, $$$, & effort to have this many custom bbls done with your own reamer for a true, apples-to-apples comparison; certainly this early in the life of the RimX. Kudos to you, and thanks a bunch for putting the results up here on the Hide for all of us to enjoy reading about. I hope you've got a plan for posting a list of the group averages or aggs after you've been through all the barrels & gotten results that you have confidence in printing. Takes a lot of time & shooting, which is what I was getting at when I said "that you have confidence in printing" - I'm confident that you're taking the time to wait for decent, comparable shooting conditions so that you've got the best comparison of the barrels that you can reasonably get. Would be a lot easier on you if you had access to a good, well-lit 50-100yd indoor range....

Honestly don't know how you guys get groups as good as you do outdoors. Wind is never calm here in Colorado. Shot quite a few groups at 50 outdoors with 5-8mph twitchy breeze (mild for CO) and groups were mediocre at best even with high end ammo. Took it indoors and groups shrank dramatically. My take away was never do lot testing outdoors in CO.

Honestly don't know how you guys get groups as good as you do outdoors. Wind is never calm here in Colorado. Shot quite a few groups at 50 outdoors with 5-8mph twitchy breeze (mild for CO) and groups were mediocre at best even with high end ammo. Took it indoors and groups shrank dramatically. My take away was never do lot testing outdoors in CO.
By shooting really fast. Being able to manipulate the bolt quickly without violating NPA. This lets me get rounds off during steady conditions. Some days, nothing works. Just depends if the wind is steady or not. A nice steady 10mph wind isn’t actually that difficult to shoot in. A tearing 3-8 mph that changes intensity every 2 seconds is basically impossible to deal with.

I’m up north of Fort Collins, and the Wyoming winds are almost always a challenge. I haven’t convinced myself I need to join Trigger Time yet, 100 yards indoors would be a treat.

Last edited:
I'm in Northern Kentucky, right below Cincinnati, OH. I had an awesome facility with 100 yards indoors called "ready line" that just announced last week they are closing their doors for good 😣 Now I'll be driving an hour+ to shoot even 50 yards

Super excited about seeing the Krieger results.. cause its the barrel I chose for my RimX. 😐

Had a virtually dead calm day today for 50yd RimX testing. A few infrequent 3mph gusts but pretty dead and the target showed. I had video recorded at both the firing line and at the target for the entire test which I will upload here shortly for anyone that cares to bore themselves.

This Krieger just barely edged out the Bartlein by 0.003" with a 0.177" 6x5 with SK Rifle Match! The 10x5 was 0.198". The best lots of CX werent far behind either. This is the first Krieger rimfire Ive shot and it didnt disappoint. Cant wait for 100yd testing up next!

Last edited:
Took my Shilen barreled RimX our again today for casual ammo testing. 50yds and and several at 100yds. Lapua Pistol King was better than Midas +. SK STD + also did good for cheaper ammo.

Attachments

• 160A2334-C788-4E2D-BCCC-33301643FB6A.jpeg
    160A2334-C788-4E2D-BCCC-33301643FB6A.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 265
  • B264626B-D88A-4B96-B5D6-D659AB77A7D0.jpeg
    B264626B-D88A-4B96-B5D6-D659AB77A7D0.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 93B4B1A7-5684-42FE-AE9C-1DE01D5F7D07.jpeg
    93B4B1A7-5684-42FE-AE9C-1DE01D5F7D07.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 266