• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280 AI w/ 168gr Bergers: H4831, H1000, or Retumbo?

stanley52

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2013
Idaho
So I am getting in a 280 AI from Score High here pretty soon, I'll be using nosler brass CCI 200's and 168gr Bergers. The rifle is a blueprinted 700, 26" 1:9 Bartlein M24 5r, manner T4A stock, Timney trigger, NF scope base, vortex razor 5-20 w/ seekins rings, and etc. should be a great rig. My dilemma is what powder to use. I don't want to do an OCW work up for 3 powders, but I don't know which to choose. Right now I have a pound of H4831sc, H1000, and Retumbo. I've heard success stories out of all of them. I thought retumbo might be too slow, but multiple people from various sources use 63gr of retumbo for 168gr bergers, and this is achieving the best velocities as well out of the powders they have tried.

-I'd appreciate anyone's input for a powder recommendation with these projectiles.
-perhaps some quickloads on these powders, I'd like to see if retumbo would burn all the way in a 26" tube.

Thanks!

I don't load that caliber, but you might load each powder to see which one gets you the most velocity before pressure signs.
If you have a chrono.
5 rds each maybe.

In my experience, 59gr of RL22 works very well with the 168VLD. I use H4831SC with the 162s-- extremely good combo as well.

Yeah I mean I might end up seeing which shoots fastest, but what shoots fastest may not be the nosy accurate. How temp stable is RL22? I usually stick to hodgdons extreme line. I know there is a lot more hype than what they actually do... But they do help.

Mine worked great with N165 as well. Shot only 168 Sierra's and 180 Berger VLD's thru it. 28" barrel with a 1-8.5 twist and I could push the 180's over 2800fps. and that was a everyday working load.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I've had good luck with RL-19 and RL-22 in the 280AI. Settled on RL-19 with the 162 Amax. I haven't noticed any temp instability, but it doesn't get really cold here.

I don't recall the load off hand, but all I've run in two 280 AI's I have is H 1000. I can check to see what the load is if you need, but I had pressure signs in one rifle, and none in the other, even though the chamber size was very close on the two of them. I had occasion to run these rigs in pretty wide temp differences, and I couldn't discern any temp issues re: velocity, even with a 50 degree temp differential. At this difference, impact up to 500 yards was the same. I was able to run the 168's right at 3000 with no issues. 168 TSX's proved devastating on big Kansas whitetails.

280I powders/loads

These are ALL sub moa groups in my stick. Nosler brass, 160 Accubond w/ 64g Retumbo, Fed 215M primer, 2.906 ogive 3015fps. 168g Bergers, 61.5g Retumbo @ 2.715 ogive, 2925 fps. 140g Bergers, 61g H4831 SC, @ 2.715 ogive, 3200 fps. I used RE 22 and got great results......at 65 degrees F. Separated case at 102 degrees F. Don't need the grief. Too temperature sensitive for the girls I go with. All the usual caveants and disclaimers in place. Some o f these loads are hot. Work up. Good luck.

These are ALL sub moa groups in my stick. Nosler brass, 160 Accubond w/ 64g Retumbo, Fed 215M primer, 2.906 ogive 3015fps. 168g Bergers, 61.5g Retumbo @ 2.715 ogive, 2925 fps. 140g Bergers, 61g H4831 SC, @ 2.715 ogive, 3200 fps. I used RE 22 and got great results......at 65 degrees F. Separated case at 102 degrees F. Don't need the grief. Too temperature sensitive for the girls I go with. All the usual caveants and disclaimers in place. Some o f these loads are hot. Work up. Good luck.

This is perfect, that's a lot of variation in seating depth though, 2/10" difference? How far off the lands are these loads?

This is perfect, that's a lot of variation in seating depth though, 2/10" difference? How far off the lands are these loads?

In checking my notes to answer your question, I screwed the pooch. Typo. My bad.
160g AB = AT THE LANDS- 2.806 Ogive length. Not 2.906
168g & 140g Bergers , both .050 off.
The Accubonds have a "fat" oigive. Less BC, great hunting bullet, IMO. I use the Bergers for comps.
I highly recommend using Berger's method to determine COAL. Noslers, well, you'll have to find the sweet spot in your stick. It's a process, albeit a fun one! Good luck.

Yeah I think tahrs what I'll end up doing. I'll follow their hunting method and just see.