• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$ 4,000.00 Want a semi auto .308 which platform

bigborealaska

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Idaho
Hello,

I have been a browser for years now but its time to come out of hiding and introduce myself. I am in the USAF love this site and all the great info and dedication put into this site.I am in Idaho so i have unlimited area to shoot and expand this hobby. I am new to the sniper side of things just bought a Remington sps aac tactical looking to get it set up soon with all the goodies but I am itching to get a semi auto. I was looking at the DPMS SASS and the LMT I know the wait on the latter will be awhile but i'm in no hurry. What say the masses what would you buy with 4k.

Thanks BigBoreAlaska

Re: $ 4,000.00 Want a semi auto .308 which platform

Prepare for a tsunami of people saying GAP 10.

Welcome to the Hide and thank you for your service.

I have a LMT and love it. If it were me and had to do over again... I would go for the LMT.

But there are the GAP zealots that will soon appear like the Spanish Inquisition (Monty Python reference)

But I am sure others will chime in as well.

Have you looked at any of the LWRC REPR models available? What barrel length are you looking at? It comes in 12.7", 16.1", 18", and 20"

Here's some basic info:

http://www.lwrci.com/p-120-repr.aspx#inf-tabs

If you shop around right they can be had for under $3,000 (their usual going rate is around there, sometimes higher but I can help you find a good deal on one if you like), leaving you with a nice chunk of change for a nice optic to put up top.

Lemme know if you're interested, I'll help you look around for one. I own one and it kicks ass.

If you're not interested in a piston operated rifle, I understand the KAC and LaRue offerings are quite nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But there are the GAP zealots that will soon appear like the Spanish Inquisition (Monty Python reference)
</div></div>

This clearly rules out the GAP zealots as NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!

But seriously to the OP, I'm going to be in the same boat soon and will probably go with the GAP-10 based on their track record, customer service, and value. I'm not saying POF, LMT, et. al. are bad, I'm just saying that I haven't heard much negative on the GAP-10 (possibly due to the GAP Inquisition...).

As an unbiased experience: I have shot a stock POF with handloads and I was able to hold just under MOA at 500yds. It was extremely smooth cycling. Not sure if it was due to the piston system or what, but it was amazing. The trigger wasn't bad but it also wasn't spectacular. Overall a very pleasant experience.

build your own from a MA-TEN bellet set FTW!

LMT if you want the option of a caliber swap (I Do). You may if you go to AK, the 338 Fed might be a good choice there.

If that means nothing to you get the GAP. IMO the two best values for the $$$ both at around 2500 which will let you swing for some decent glass.

There was a Gen 2 LMT MWS at Guns Galore in Fenton MI for $2499.00 as of yesterday.

I shoot with a guy that has an OBR and Les Baer, the LB is a hammer.

If $4000 is your budget in total, I would set aside what you want for an optic first, then consider what your remaining budget is for a rifle.

JP LRP-07

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caz41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JP LRP-07 </div></div>

+1

In no particular order, any of the following will serve you well:

POF*USA
GAP-10
LWRC
LMT
Noveske
Larue

Sure, there are others but if I were in the market to purchase another AR-10, those mentioned above would be on my list. When it comes to accuracy, each of them are known to be sub moa.

Everyone is going to recommend their favorite or what they feel is the best either because they own it or they want one. For my first AR-10, I purchased a POF*USA P308 with a 20" barrel. It is gas piston operated and I liked it so much that I bought me another one.

pf08Nu.jpg

I went for the LMT.
Know how you want to set up your rifle use and expetations, (optics)
My opnion : if you know you will use a conventional scope that may require scope to cover the charging handle to get correct eye releif I would look for a side charging handle (FAL flavor)Ar-10 "type"
I hate how hard it is to charge the weapon. I need to try an extended Catch.
I may eventually re-configue the rifle to L129A1 patern with a Trijicon sight. (if I get rich$$$ Hahah)

Get the new LMT MWS Gen2 slim.

6743335121_b0ea66f2ec_b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm not saying POF, LMT, et. al. are bad, I'm just saying that I haven't heard much negative on the GAP-10 (possibly due to the GAP Inquisition...).

</div></div>

It's treason to talk bad about the gap10. Punishable by walking the plank.

My vote is for GAP POF Noveske LMT Larue DPMS(accurate for under 1k$) in no order.

Remember all the little extra junk you have to buy too. Bipods scope mounts trigger(if needed).

I don't intend to "steal" the topic of the O.P.
But I'd like to expand on it (a little). I'm sure that for $4K he isn't desiring a battle rifle accuracy.

I too am looking to "scratch the itch" with the AR10 purchase.
In all the research I've been able to do, it seems that the words ,,,,Precision rifle,,,, should be attached to the desires of the AR10 platform. Many makers list their product as "sub MOA or 1 in." and some users are getting this and better. But others aren't.
I've read many times about owners getting what I would consider "average" results from their gun. I assume poor results could be the fault of the end user, but I hate assumptions. It always makes me the a$$. And then I regret the purchase.
I almost pulled the trigger on a POF years ago (wanted an 18" but it wasn't available). Now, Years later, there are many brands out there that advertise 1" or better. I think GAP says 3/4. I realize that sub MOA shouldn't be the "end all" goal, but it's a nice plus.
Now I'm considering the LMT MWS 18" but I have no clue as to what to expect from it. GAP10 is possible, But a little more money. I believe the POF rates along side the LMT, But they are hard to find.
So, does the above lists still fit into this expanded criteria.
The responses would definitely help narrow down the list to one or two rifles.

Thanks.

Again, to the OP , my apologies for adding to the question of the original. I hope you find it helpful.

Yes, don't forget to include a great optic in your budget. IMO, this optic is of equal importance (and usually cost).

I have a 16" POF shoots 3/4MOA or better, hits steel out to 1000 yards. If I was to do it again I would have a tough choice between a POF and GAP, although I run suppressed so the piston and adjustable gas block on the POF comes out ahead in my mind. You could wait patiently until Seekins .308 platform is available.

GAP now has a adjustable gas block for the GAP 10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If $4000 is your budget in total, I would set aside what you want for an optic first, then consider what your remaining budget is for a rifle. </div></div>

+1. Since that is ALOT for a budget to have, consider building one. save u from upgrading later on.

First and most important consideration is the rifle barrel steel.
Go for Chrome Molybdenum Vanadium steel or stainless.

Personally, I'd opt for the 4150 Mil-B-11595 chrome-moly vanadium alloy (machine gun rated) and then I'd have it nitrided or chrome lined. Nitriding a barrel does not reduce accuracy, and makes the barrel last almost as long a chrome lining. Modern chrome lining does not reduce accuracy to the extent it did decades ago.

Second consideration:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If $4000 is your budget in total, I would set aside what you want for an optic first, then consider what your remaining budget is for a rifle. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boatman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, don't forget to include a great optic in your budget. IMO, this optic is of equal importance (and usually cost). </div></div>

This one may be a possibility ... Here

Build your own. Also set aside money for optics and reloading equipment you will need it.

Furthermore if you don't yet have a decent 223 AR I would get that before a 308 model. I shoot my 223's far more often on account of the lower ammunition cost and light recoil.

I vote GAP10, Les Baer, or LMT MWS(can switch barrels and calibers)

The CMMG for 1100 is hard to beat also. Good foundation for a custom build.

There is just too many good choices today. Just got to pic the one that talks to you and go with it. If you end up not liking it, then sell it here and start again with another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP now has a adjustable gas block for the GAP 10 </div></div>

Just to clarify what Joe said, GAP is installing the PRI adjustable gas block on thier rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kope</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP now has a adjustable gas block for the GAP 10 </div></div>

Just to clarify what Joe said, GAP is installing the PRI adjustable gas block on thier rifles. </div></div>

It's actually made by Noveske....

I vote for GAP-10, or wait a few months for the new Seekins ARs in 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kope</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP now has a adjustable gas block for the GAP 10 </div></div>

Just to clarify what Joe said, GAP is installing the PRI adjustable gas block on thier rifles. </div></div>

It's actually made by Noveske.... </div></div>

GAP doesnt even make the Gap10 rifle. Its made by Hogan (spelling?)

Watch the first few seconds of the video where the guy from Gap (shot show 2012) says they dont make the rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Xfbm29OZk

I would go Noveske with a 21" SS Noveske Barrel. If you decide to build one, I would make sure to get the Noveske Barrel. GAP is a religion around here, but they seem to charge a lot for their work. Their rifles don't even come with Jewell or Gissele triggers, if you decide to upgrade, they charge you like $50 more than what the triggers retail for.

I would also make sure you get into reloading.. first thing is to shoot it, and as time passes make the mods to get it more accurate.. I have a local guy who claims he can get any AR10 down to half MOA with his bolt mod. Don't know what he is doing... but I told him my factory Armalite AR10 SASS is already half MOA with Savage Fireform Neck sized cases =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go Noveske with a 21" SS Noveske Barrel. If you decide to build one, I would make sure to get the Noveske Barrel. GAP is a religion around here, but they seem to charge a lot for their work. Their rifles don't even come with Jewell or Gissele triggers, if you decide to upgrade, they charge you like $50 more than what the triggers retail for.

I would also make sure you get into reloading.. first thing is to shoot it, and as time passes make the mods to get it more accurate.. I have a local guy who claims he can get any AR10 down to half MOA with his bolt mod. Don't know what he is doing... but I told him my factory Armalite AR10 SASS is already half MOA with Savage Fireform Neck sized cases =) </div></div>

Not quite sure how the heck you would ever get a "neck sized only" case to feed in ANY auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go Noveske with a 21" SS Noveske Barrel. If you decide to build one, I would make sure to get the Noveske Barrel. GAP is a religion around here, but they seem to charge a lot for their work. Their rifles don't even come with Jewell or Gissele triggers, if you decide to upgrade, they charge you like $50 more than what the triggers retail for.

I would also make sure you get into reloading.. first thing is to shoot it, and as time passes make the mods to get it more accurate.. I have a local guy who claims he can get any AR10 down to half MOA with his bolt mod. Don't know what he is doing... but I told him my factory Armalite AR10 SASS is already half MOA with Savage Fireform Neck sized cases =) </div></div>

Not quite sure how the heck you would ever get a "neck sized only" case to feed in ANY auto. </div></div>

I accidentally shot the wrong box one day and all my groups were super accurate! Found out that it was the box that was using Savage Fireform brass. Savage fireform brass seems to have no issues in my Remi's, Savage, and my AR10's. Savage chambers are tight and have short throats. I think this is one of the reason why Savage rifles works great with factory ammo and full size cases.

FYI: My Fireform Remi cases will only work in my Remi, it will not feed in my AR10 or my Savage.

I like LWRC barrels too, but they do not sell just the barrel, only reason I like Noveske more is I prefer DI over Piston.

Looks are also important, and I really do love the looks of the LWRC. I would rule out POF, GAP, and OBR because to me all those guns are butt ugly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go Noveske with a 21" SS Noveske Barrel. If you decide to build one, I would make sure to get the Noveske Barrel. GAP is a religion around here, but they seem to charge a lot for their work. Their rifles don't even come with Jewell or Gissele triggers, if you decide to upgrade, they charge you like $50 more than what the triggers retail for.

Not quite sure how the heck you would ever get a "neck sized only" case to feed in ANY auto. </div></div>

I accidentally shot the wrong box one day and all my groups were super accurate! Found out that it was the box that was using Savage Fireform brass. Savage fireform brass seems to have no issues in my Remi's, Savage, and my AR10's. Savage chambers are tight and have short throats. I think this is one of the reason why Savage rifles works great with factory ammo and full size cases.

FYI: My Fireform Remi cases will only work in my Remi, it will not feed in my AR10 or my Savage. </div></div>

I have noticed when I headspace my brass tight (.003 avg of 10rds) that I get super tight groups. But those are all full length sized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go Noveske with a 21" SS Noveske Barrel. If you decide to build one, I would make sure to get the Noveske Barrel. GAP is a religion around here, but they seem to charge a lot for their work. Their rifles don't even come with Jewell or Gissele triggers, if you decide to upgrade, they charge you like $50 more than what the triggers retail for.

I would also make sure you get into reloading.. first thing is to shoot it, and as time passes make the mods to get it more accurate.. I have a local guy who claims he can get any AR10 down to half MOA with his bolt mod. Don't know what he is doing... but I told him my factory Armalite AR10 SASS is already half MOA with Savage Fireform Neck

sized cases =) </div></div>

I agree 21" or whatever length Noveske is a great way to fly, I installed one along with a decent trigger on a 1.5 moa ar10 and with minimal load development it is a true .5 moa rifle. It's all in the barrel and trigger. As far as the local guys .5 claim with only bolt mod I would call BS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have noticed when I headspace my brass tight (.003 avg of 10rds) that I get super tight groups. But those are all full length sized. </div></div>

What does headspace my brass tight mean? Headspace has to do with chamber measurements. Are you talking about taking the ram all the way down when you full size?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go Noveske with a 21" SS Noveske Barrel. If you decide to build one, I would make sure to get the Noveske Barrel. GAP is a religion around here, but they seem to charge a lot for their work. Their rifles don't even come with Jewell or Gissele triggers, if you decide to upgrade, they charge you like $50 more than what the triggers retail for.

I would also make sure you get into reloading.. first thing is to shoot it, and as time passes make the mods to get it more accurate.. I have a local guy who claims he can get any AR10 down to half MOA with his bolt mod. Don't know what he is doing... but I told him my factory Armalite AR10 SASS is already half MOA with Savage Fireform Neck

sized cases =) </div></div>

I agree 21" or whatever length Noveske is a great way to fly, I installed one along with a decent trigger on a 1.5 moa ar10 and with minimal load development it is a true .5 moa rifle. It's all in the barrel and trigger. As far as the local guys .5 claim with only bolt mod I would call BS. </div></div>

I would add chamber, barrel, trigger and DI system. If you notice the DI's seem to squeak out that extra little bit of accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. GAP is a religion around here, but they seem to charge a lot for their work. Their rifles don't even come with Jewell or Gissele triggers, if you decide to upgrade, they charge you like $50 more than what the triggers retail for.

</div></div>

It sure seems that way...

Perhaps you should get your facts straight (viral rumers get started this way)
I ordered a GAP10 and wanted a Geisselle. GA Precision is not a dealer for Geissele so I ordered it myself and had it sent to them for the build. I'm not sure how they can charge more for something they don't sell? They did not charge extra to install it and they did knock off the cost of the standard trigger they use. The geissele ended up costing roughly $50.00 more on the total build.

As far as them charging to much, its all relative and dependant on what the market will bear. But, you usually get what you pay for.

BTW, I only own one GAP rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It sure seems that way...

Perhaps you should get your facts straight (viral rumers get started this way)
I ordered a GAP10 and wanted a Geisselle. GA Precision is not a dealer for Geissele so I ordered it myself and had it sent to them for the build. I'm not sure how they can charge more for something they don't sell? They did not charge extra to install it and they did knock off the cost of the standard trigger they use. The geissele ended up costing roughly $50.00 more on the total build.

As far as them charging to much, its all relative and dependant on what the market will bear. But, you usually get what you pay for.

BTW, I only own one GAP rifle. </div></div>

$50 more for the SSA? The Jewell triggers are $50 more than retail. Link here: http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2012-custom-rifles/ga-precision-rock.html

Actually I will retract when I said "GAPs are over priced"... I should say "over price for Cartmann" instead, because as long as you have people willing to pay, then you are not over charging.

This is fun! And.... this is how I would spend your money. Assuming you have a bit of mechanical inclination and can do the lower build yourself (I'll PM you a set of detailed instructions if need be):

DPMS or compatible lower
Fultom Armory Phantom upper w/ your choice of barrel (Get side-cocking version if you shoot prone)
Geiselle 2-stage trigger
Magpul Gen II stock
Assorted lower parts from Brownell's etc.
AD Recon mount
Vortex Razor HD
Atlas BT10 bipod
Assorted duracoat colors and Harbor Freight HVLP gun if you are feeling brave.

As another who has recently made this same decision, i would make sure you consider the entire system instead of just which platform.

I decided to go with the DPMS SASS personally so that i could make all the other investments that i would like and still be in the $4000-ish range.

In my case i also wanted to include things like a starting set of reloading components, chronograph (since this is my first foray into precision loading i'll need some accurate numbers), and a decent scope.

I found the rifle for $1750 after shipping and FFL transfer fee, threw 200-300 into some quality starting ammo (FGMM), $225 for a Pelican 1750, another $120 into a chronograph, and will soon be buying the Bushnell HDMR for about $1599 (which is about all i've seen them going for NIB so far)

After it's all said and done and i have to pay tax in addition to the scope price, i'm sure i'll be right at if not slightly above the $4000 budget you mentioned...

Just wanted to shed my own little spin on the budget, if you are not interested in considering the other components of the overall system then by all means go with a Larue/GAP/LMT/etc.

I asked a similar question on here awhile back. I decided to go with the les baer topped with a 3-24×42 ffp march in an add amount. Have the scope will let you know how I like the les when I get my hands on it.

I like my .mil type stuff to be issued by some country if I don't build it myself, and I'm looking at one in the future as well. The LMT was accepted as an SDM rifle by Britain. Only difference I understand is that they engraved the British model number, along with some other junk, on the other side. I also consider the SCAR 17 to be another .308 AR analogue regardless of the differences. That one was accepted by US special forces? That is what their ad says. I understand both shoot under 1MOA but generally not better than .5MOA. I also might even consider an Armalite, or just build one myself. I can build a great AR for less than I can buy one for, dollar for dollar. But I have the junk already to do it, it may pan out better to just buy a .308. That LMT looks mighty nice too and it felt nice when I checked it out at Rainier Arms last weekend. That upper they use is extremely solid feeling, and it felt well made and more similar to a regular AR than most do. That was surprising. The Noveske's looked nice also.

I had a DPMS LRR when it first came out, that thing wouldn't do 1MOA no matter what so I got rid of it. It was heavy and had a 24" barrel, it sure LOOKED accurate but it wasn't. Not sure what they are like now, they look a little different. And maybe I just got a lemon, who knows, it only cost $900 when it first came out.

I would recommend build it yourself and put top notch glass on it.

I am not going to comment on the others, but I own a LMT and it is a shooter.

I have put a lot of rounds through a friends REPR, and it was smooth...I was not shooting for accuracy just trying it for feel, but it did do fairly well with red box Federal...

If I was not such a LMT buff, I would get one