• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

5000 meters+ Supersonic (*Updated with pics*)

Re: 5000 meters+ Supersonic

Just tinkered a little. Assuming your wonder weapon had a 2.0 BC and a muzzle velocity of 3500 fps (I think Im being very generous) your ES would have to be no greater than 5 fps and your cumlative wind calls would have to be correct to 1/2 mph. Now when you hear of someone that has a system that has zero dispersion (CONSISTANTLY), an ammo maker that can produce ammo with consistant ES of 5 fps or less, a trigger man that induces zero movement during the firing process and a spotter that consistantly and correctly make wind calls of 1/2 mph or less and can correctly estimate the effects of mirage, please let me know. I would pay big bucks just to be in their presence while they are working their magic.

Augustus, I hope you realize that what you are talking about is not necessarily unobtainable, but simply has not yet been obtained. Systems, shooters, ammo manufacturers, and spotters are all getting better. Again, I am not the one doing the 5k shooting, but, as I get better, I am stretching my effective distance farther and farther, and I am now making some hits at distances at which I might previously have thought none were possible.

It used to be thought that, for conventional shoulder-fired rifle bullets, a B.C. of 1.0 would be impossible to produce, and yet we now have at least the Hornady .50 cal. 750 grain AMAX, which, I believe, has a B.C. of 1.05.

1.05 is a long way from 2.0, there are bullets with higher B.C.s than 1.05, and, yes, in terms of present bullets, you were being very generous, but I would not assume that such bullets will never be made, just because we cannot right now see how to make them.

Actually, there are ways to make bullets with BC's in excess of G1 = 1.0

Namely, if you're going to limit bullet mass for something shoulder fired then the form factor has to be very good. To increase the form factor many of the guys "playing in the ether" are using monolithic solid projectiles which do not encounter structural integrity issues until much higher velocities and twist rates.

The name of the game in monometallic solids, particularly the highly agressive shapes that a select few have spent serious time working with, is stability and successful stability prediction. A G7 form factor of 0.75 is nothing if you can't get it stable at a reasonable MV to create a platform that functions as intended.

The next question comes from the realization that "in the end, it all turns green".

Who pays for the development and ultimately what is the end user cost of such projectiles?

To address a direct point you commented above:

Yes, G1 BC's > 1.0 for shoulder fired weapons can be done; paying for the testing/development/commercialization is the next step.

ETA: I'm still looking forward to seeing how this project works out for John, and even if it is nothing more than an expensive "chemistry set" this is still a very interesting project for me to watch unfold. Bravo to him for taking on such a task and approaching it with the zeal to make it a reality.

Some times you just got to understand their are limits with earthly rifle systems and until ET gives us the laser shoulder fired weapon were gonna be out of luck. What scope could be used to go 5k to get a reasonable sight picture ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some times you just got to understand their are limits with earthly rifle systems and until ET gives us the laser shoulder fired weapon we gonna be out of luck. What scope could be used to go 5k to get a reasonable sight picture ? </div></div>

Oh ye of little faith...

4990aeec97e443862d177156d740.jpg

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ch'e, if you know the details of that movie to that degree, you have watched it a heck of a lot more times than I have.
smile.gif

Since there are people pushing the boundaries of ELR shooting beyond what most people can imagine, let alone believe, and since some of the people pushing said boundaries do not enter competitions, video their shooting, photograph their targets and post them on the internet, or care at all what you, I, or anyone else believes, and since many of the people here will not believe anything without seeing photos or video, you are welcome to go on believing that 0.25MOA at 5k is impossible.

I do understand that the ballistic parameters are not the same (or even only 2.5 times as large) at 5k as they are at 2k, but insurmountable? I don't think so.

In 1491, everyone was absolutely certain that the earth was flat. Understandably so, since they were never taught, or shown differently. After one man found that idea to be in error, look what happened. </div></div>

You probably still believe in SanTa Claus and the tooth fairy huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some times you just got to understand their are limits with earthly rifle systems and until ET gives us the laser shoulder fired weapon we gonna be out of luck. What scope could be used to go 5k to get a reasonable sight picture ? </div></div>

Oh ye of little faith...

4990aeec97e443862d177156d740.jpg

John </div></div> yup,counter sniper scope,.25 moa at 5k and santa clause behind that stick

TH,

There is only one way that your dream can be realized, and I believe it is obtainable if the right people become interested in solving the problem within the projectile mass constraints of a shoulder fireable cartridge.

... It would involve *eliminating* the shooter for a real-time robotic aiming fixture, and a doppler wind sensor with the range, and predictive computational power, to correct for the wind issue that everyone is beating you over the head with.

The cartridge itself is the easy part.
wink.gif

You boys are gonna see an unassisted naked human leave the earth, fly into space, orbit the earth and return with a full head of hair before you see conventional rifle systems shooting 1/4 min. consistantly at 5K.

Plenty of things weren't reality until some years ago. Tasers for one thing. Anyone know that its actually an acronym? Thomas A. Swift's Electronic Rifle. Something that was invented, and in current widespread usage with just about every LE agency in the country, was named after a science fiction story.

Why? Because the guy who invented it was a dreamer.

Now what's going to happen if someone else declares that the world isn't flat? Will he get burned at the stake, or forced to drink hemlock?
smirk.gif

"Conventional rifle systems..."...

What "boys" here are suggesting that there is anything "conventional" about a rifle system that can hold .25 moa at 5K?

No, 3PER, LOL, I do not. Do you? But, apparently, I know some things about accuracy at distance that not many people seem to know. I have never shot at 5k, so I will freely admit that I do not know everything it will take to get there with the kind of accuracy mentioned, but I have shot at 1k, 2k, and 2.5k more than most people could imagine. I have seen accuracy levels at these distances that would defy belief, and they have occurred often enough (and with increasing frequency the more we shoot at these distances) that I will not be one to say that .25 MOA at 5k is impossible for a conventional shoulder-fired weapon, fired by a human shooter. In fact, I think it is simply something that has not been done yet. That used to be the case with the 4-minute mile, as well as a number of other advances our species has made. Such advances start with an idea, followed by ridicule, followed by more ridicule, followed by experimentation, followed by more ridicule, followed by more experimentation... you get the idea. Sometimes, all this experimentation leads to something useful (remember what Edison went through about the light bulb?), and sometimes, they fail. But they do not succeed, or fail, based on the lack of belief of the inevitable naysayers, so you and others who think this level of accuracy is impossible to achieve are welcome to go on thinking so. In the end, what you or I think does not matter. But I am still not going to bet against Saojao. You go ahead and do so, if you want.

Noel, with all due respect, do not be so certain that that is the only way. I seem to recall that it was not too long ago that a 1" group at 100 yards was considered the Holy Grail. Now, we have rifles guaranteed by their maker to do a quarter of that (fired by a human). So I submit that we can't really know, until someone does it.

As far as the wind issue, I am not sure a computer will ever be able to compensate for that, but a computer doing so might not be necessary.

5km?

Try 26.8km. Then again, we did 'miss' by 4 meters.... dang PE.

TH

Not to long ago 1" was the Holy Grail, Please define "not to long ago'... as Mike your hero has been offering it for more than 15 years and pretty sure bench resters were doing it for a heck of a lot longer. 1" was a practical field standard not the end all be all.

Quick question what do you see as a target @ 3000 to 5000 yards ?

Anti Material ?

Anti Personal ?

or you are just figuring someone is going to be able to shoot at something ? What rocks on the side of a hill, or something more tangible like an actual target and record this group ? In your experience what do you find as a good size target for your ULR shooting ?

Do you see this weapon as being single man portable, crew served, how do you envision the 5k capable weapon of the future being moved from FOB to FFP ?

Generally speaking most places that allow you shoot that far, not all but most, are at altitude so you get a significant advantage ballistically by the elevation. However there is the issue of moving, spotting that far, I mean your average reticle is gonna cover more than 15" so that sort of creates a problem trying to get a 12.5" group when your reticle is bigger. Unless you design a reticle-less scope. I mean, I was at 13,000ft yesterday and could easily see that far, (5k) not that I could identify anything, but I could see that far. The DA high for that altitude was about 17,000 so a bullet will surely fly well. But there was a lot more obstacles to over come, like the Wind in the Mountains, as in CO or Afghanistan, they don't have those perfect conditions you spoke of earlier. At 12,000 ft the wind was 12.9MPH at 13,000ft the wind was 3MPH sort of goes against conventional wisdom, but how they move in around the mountains is a trick by itself. Up drafts, ski jumps, funnels, all play a roll. not only with windage, but with elevation. Then there is signature, is it worth exposing yourself for a single shot that far away ? Would a laser guided munition be a better guarantee, I mean a radio is the Sniper's most powerful weapon. But I am sure you realize that.

Still I would like a question or two answer as to where this fits in the grand scheme of things. Because dropping a round that far is one thing, getting close, okay, sure, but generally people don't stand still, and vehicles might need a bit more energy, maybe you can punch a hole in a missile on a pad, but there is still getting in and getting out to deal with, lastly for a civilian this is barely gonna happen as the world is certainly getting smaller as nobody is making more land. Space is of a finite quantity and we are rapidly filling it up with people. So where does this fit.

Shooting that far might not be an issue, identifying and hitting where you aim, well that is another story.

LL,

What I was referring to as “not too long ago” (meant as a relative term) was 35-40 years ago, and I was not counting benchrest, because “Mike my hero’s” rifles (at least the Tango 51) are usually only about 9-9.5 pounds with scope, and so are field portable by one man, while being ready for instant use (depending on carry method).

I had not really thought about the specific use for a 3k to 5k-yard rifle. I think (IMHO) that we should first see if a useful level of accuracy is attainable at such distances, before we start worrying about what we will do with it. I agree with you that shooting a group at that distance is not the same thing as hitting a specific target at the same distance, but, in order for such a rifle system to be of use for anything, one would have to be able to hit targets with it. Since 0.25 MOA at 5k is 12.5,” such a rifle could obviously be used as either an anti-personnel or an anti-material weapon. I would like to see a single man portable weapon for that use, but I don’t know if that will be feasible, depending on how much such a rifle has to weigh. Whether this would be useful in combat, given the necessity to avoid detection, and the availability of laser-guided munitions, etc., probably cannot be determined until we see the system, and what it will do. As far as where this fits in the grand scheme of things, I thought that one goal of ULR riflemen was to hit smaller and smaller targets, farther and farther away, so for the admittedly relatively small group of ULR shooters, a rifle that would hit a 0.25 MOA target at 5k yards would probably be something that every member of that group would be interested in, assuming they could afford the rifle, etc. If that is its only use, it will not be a bad thing, and if it is useful in some way for combat, even better.

For my ULR shooting, I usually use a 12” x 12” cardboard target, with a backing paper that is 36”x 36,” so that I can see where at least some of my misses are going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You boys are gonna see an unassisted naked human leave the earth, fly into space, orbit the earth and return with a full head of hair before you see conventional rifle systems shooting 1/4 min. consistantly at 5K. </div></div>

+1,000,000
smile.gif

But this might be a good time to ask:

At a more realistic 2000 m, what is the state of the art, accuracy wise?
For 5 shot groups, what is currently attainable with the best equipment and ammo? Not cherry picked "happened once/twice in my life" groups, just an <span style="font-weight: bold">average</span> group under ideal conditions.

Wondering what optical sight you are using that will resolve 12 inches at 5k meters . There have been times at a mile that everybody on line had trouble making out a IPSC target with the stuff available now because of mirage .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TH

Not to long ago 1" was the Holy Grail, Please define "not to long ago'... as Mike your hero has been offering it for more than 15 years and pretty sure bench resters were doing it for a heck of a lot longer. 1" was a practical field standard not the end all be all.

Quick question what do you see as a target @ 3000 to 5000 yards ?

Anti Material ?

Anti Personal ?

or you are just figuring someone is going to be able to shoot at something ? What rocks on the side of a hill, or something more tangible like an actual target and record this group ? In your experience what do you find as a good size target for your ULR shooting ?

Do you see this weapon as being single man portable, crew served, how do you envision the 5k capable weapon of the future being moved from FOB to FFP ?

Generally speaking most places that allow you shoot that far, not all but most, are at altitude so you get a significant advantage ballistically by the elevation. However there is the issue of moving, spotting that far, I mean your average reticle is gonna cover more than 15" so that sort of creates a problem trying to get a 12.5" group when your reticle is bigger. Unless you design a reticle-less scope. I mean, I was at 13,000ft yesterday and could easily see that far, (5k) not that I could identify anything, but I could see that far. The DA high for that altitude was about 17,000 so a bullet will surely fly well. But there was a lot more obstacles to over come, like the Wind in the Mountains, as in CO or Afghanistan, they don't have those perfect conditions you spoke of earlier. At 12,000 ft the wind was 12.9MPH at 13,000ft the wind was 3MPH sort of goes against conventional wisdom, but how they move in around the mountains is a trick by itself. Up drafts, ski jumps, funnels, all play a roll. not only with windage, but with elevation. Then there is signature, is it worth exposing yourself for a single shot that far away ? Would a laser guided munition be a better guarantee, I mean a radio is the Sniper's most powerful weapon. But I am sure you realize that.

Still I would like a question or two answer as to where this fits in the grand scheme of things. Because dropping a round that far is one thing, getting close, okay, sure, but generally people don't stand still, and vehicles might need a bit more energy, maybe you can punch a hole in a missile on a pad, but there is still getting in and getting out to deal with, lastly for a civilian this is barely gonna happen as the world is certainly getting smaller as nobody is making more land. Space is of a finite quantity and we are rapidly filling it up with people. So where does this fit.

Shooting that far might not be an issue, identifying and hitting where you aim, well that is another story. </div></div>

All valid points and in essence asking "just what is the point of the excercise"??

By the 1930's we allready had efficient and accurate light artillery pieces that where capable of slinging a 3.5lb shell to 2500m+ and with quite exceptional accuracy. They could certainly place a shell within 2-5m of a man sized target at that distance.

Propellant, projectiles and sighting systems all have lept forward and systems like these are capable of not only direct line of sight fire but can be used to fire over cover at great distance. In terms of cost they are also vastly cheaper than many of our current shoulder fired missile options.

So again,...just what point does a shoulder fired 5k rifle serve?

I think we are all pretty much agreed its an excercise in futillity???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You boys are gonna see an unassisted naked human leave the earth, fly into space, orbit the earth and return with a full head of hair before you see conventional rifle systems shooting 1/4 min. consistantly at 5K. </div></div>

+1,000,000
smile.gif

But this might be a good time to ask:

At a more realistic 2000 m, what is the state of the art, accuracy wise?
For 5 shot groups, what is currently attainable with the best equipment and ammo? Not cherry picked "happened once/twice in my life" groups, just an <span style="font-weight: bold">average</span> group under ideal conditions. </div></div>

Not quite answering your question but maybe it'll give some idea.I was able to keep 16 shots in less than 17" at 1800 yards with 240 SMK's at 2925 fps.Pretty calm day of course.

I can't comment on how practical Saojao's new system would be for military uses because I don't know jack about that kind of stuff.I do know a little about ELR shooting though.

The biggest advantage I see about this new system is the BC and speed of the projectile.We all know that wind drift is the problem for ELR shots.The diminished amount of wind drift compared to other current ELR rigs makes the probability of a hit much more likely with this beast.It also has a couple more tons of energy when it gets there.Yeah 5000Y is getting out there a ways(not saying hits aren't possible at that distance}but accurate 2 mile shots for Saojao's beast would be plenty doable I'd think.

This weekend I was reminded about how much difference .15 BC makes at 1 mile.Very hard making hits with the 6x47L.This dance...left of the steel-right of the steel-left of the steel-right of the steel.With Bergers new 230's in my 30-375R it was,hit-hit-hit-hit-hit... little challenge.I remember from past experience that with my old 375CT the wind drift was half what it was with the 30 cal.

Jules Verne wrote FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON in 1867 and Apollo 7 landed on the moon in 1969. Manned flight hadn't even been invented until 1903. It takes a dreamer and visionary to dream great things, and eventually someone makes it so...just sayin.

Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jules Verne wrote FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON in 1867 and Apollo 7 landed on the moon in 1969. Manned flight hadn't even been invented until 1903. It takes a dreamer and visionary to dream great things, and eventually someone makes it so...just sayin.

Tim </div></div>

Uhhh...that was Apollo 11. And it was 'powered' flight.

This point to the usefulness of the system. Using fearless leaders own questions to answer it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought smoking crack was illegal...

My question, <span style="font-style: italic">why would you ? </span>

especially when you consider :

Radio + Predator Drone = More Effective

Radio + Artillery = More Effective

Radio + Helicopter Gunship = More Effective

Radio + Fast Mover = More Effective

I can not think of one practical application to want to send a single round that far... because someone thought it up and says you can, doesn't make it practical.

</div></div>

I'm thinking the recent MOH Awardee, Dakota Meyer, would have appreciated something like this on their mission when they got ambushed.

As noted some Lt. in the 10th Mountain Division(?) still needs his ass kicked between his ears for failing to accomodate any one of the requests above. A much more powerful weapon pulling overwatch duty on an active patrol would not only eliminate standard Lt. stupidity when out of sight. It would/could give eyes-on-target with a weapon embedded with field elements and not have to allow those not in the situation to say whether or not you, the patroller, get the help you request.

Sand,

How many rounds you gonna carry and how far you think you'll effectively walk up hill with this to keep pace with with a patrol. Most overwatch is a bounding overwatch which implies moving. Then, if your are compromised how fast you gonna effectively engage with something that big.

Support may not always be there, sure that is a fact, but why limit your ability to fight effectively. How long was Dakota's action, how much ammo expended, I know guys who got into extended battles in excess of 8 hours where carrying a 300WM their worst feeling of the day was knowing when it ended the had less than 3 rounds left, so now you want to reduce that load out even further. Okay I bet it never gets carried, especially if you need to carry the rifle plus more than 20 or 30 shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sand,

How many rounds you gonna carry and how far you think you'll effectively walk up hill with this to keep pace with with a patrol. Most overwatch is a bounding overwatch which implies moving. Then, if your are compromised how fast you gonna effectively engage with something that big.

Support may not always be there, sure that is a fact, but why limit your ability to fight effectively. How long was Dakota's action, how much ammo expended, I know guys who got into extended battles in excess of 8 hours where carrying a 300WM their worst feeling of the day was knowing when it ended the had less than 3 rounds left, so now you want to reduce that load out even further. Okay I bet it never gets carried, especially if you need to carry the rifle plus more than 20 or 30 shots.
</div></div>

My ass would be tired in ten steps.... No question, I'd want it mounted on a vehicle with stabilizers like a backhoe.

One of the things we talked about last August when shooting to one mile out in Nevada. The 6.5 Creedmoor hit, the 7mm-08 hit, Even when fifties ruled the day, the 6.5 and 7mm were picking right around the target too. Those two were man portable. The fifty would've been left behind unless we knew we were going hot right then and there.

reading the title I thought this was a thread about rail guns...

Interested in seeing how this project turns out.

Just thought I would jump in here. Who started the .25 MOA at 5,000 meters? Wasn't me, that's for sure! GS Custom Bullets claims a 2.2 BC @ 3,350 FPS. I'm hoping with the new cartridge design, and propellant, that I can do a little better than that. Also, once again, this is a AMR rifle...no one is shooting people at 5,000 meters...as I type this Boots is finishing my chamber, and then its off to the races.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, 3PER, LOL, I do not. Do you? But, apparently, I know some things about accuracy at distance that not many people seem to know. I have never shot at 5k, so I will freely admit that I do not know everything it will take to get there with the kind of accuracy mentioned, but I have shot at 1k, 2k, and 2.5k more than most people could imagine. I have seen accuracy levels at these distances that would defy belief, and they have occurred often enough (and with increasing frequency the more we shoot at these distances) that I will not be one to say that .25 MOA at 5k is impossible for a conventional shoulder-fired weapon, fired by a human shooter. In fact, I think it is simply something that has not been done yet. That used to be the case with the 4-minute mile, as well as a number of other advances our species has made. Such advances start with an idea, followed by ridicule, followed by more ridicule, followed by experimentation, followed by more ridicule, followed by more experimentation... you get the idea. Sometimes, all this experimentation leads to something useful (remember what Edison went through about the light bulb?), and sometimes, they fail. But they do not succeed, or fail, based on the lack of belief of the inevitable naysayers, so you and others who think this level of accuracy is impossible to achieve are welcome to go on thinking so. In the end, what you or I think does not matter. But I am still not going to bet against Saojao. You go ahead and do so, if you want. </div></div>

Tigerhawk was the one pushing the limits of Limits .25

I don't feel like looking through the 10 other pages of comments, but Anzio Ironworks claims a 5k yard max range for their 20mm.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

Does it pass the sniff test with me? No, but thats more due to I can't find 5k yard range reports with it. Also a 1600 grain bullet going 3300fps at the muzzle has to hurt.

Either way, I do feel this endeavor by saojao is coming from a "can it be done" questioning attitude more than anything. Sure it might not work but at least he is pushing the envelope and trying which most of us can't/won't do (money, time, ability, preconceived notions, etc). But what if he's right? What if he can consistently hit an armored carrier, transport truck, or the like at distance? Sure a radio call for support might also work, but if a person can safely (key) and reliably engage a target, I'd wager saojao's projectiles will get the job done a whole hell of a lot cheaper than an airstrike.

I have posted pics of the action, reamers, projo, etc. I wish I was posting a pic of the barreled action. Boots has my barrel finished and is still chambering it. Don't know what to tell you. I can't move any faster than the person in front of me.

I don't see why there has to be a "reason" for building this rifle. From what I have read in this tread Saojao is building this as a technological stepping stone to push the limits of conventional firearms technology. If they find a use for it in a military application than good on ya. If not than you have a hell of a mountain goat killer.

At one time they thought going to the moon was outlandish and crazy.

Saojao I can't wait to see this thing shoot.

Well Boots is finished with barrel and should be shipping next week sometime. I received my flashtubes for the round so I have been modifying the flash holes and primer pockets of the case. Got a few new powders in this week, and getting ready for GS to ship a lighter 1015 gr bullet. I will also be using a new 1,850 gr. Bullet as well. I should be able to crank the 1015gr. Projos. Dale at Elite Irons should have my muzzle brake done by the 15th of Nov.

saojao, where perzactly are you going to shoot this behemoth @ 5k?

I am getting excited just thinking about it. I hope pics get posted. I am picturing a beautiful rifle.

5000 yards? I'm gonna keep stalking. A SOTIC graduate thing.

Where in blackstone is that range?? I have friends that work range ops and the furthest I can get with good targets is 1k? We should def talk when I get home from the sand box!

I often wonder about the cost effectiveness of such a system when compared to articles already in the inventory. I also wonder about how often such a system would be useful when used in conjunction with the tactics of today's rifle squad.

Basically, I love rifles, so I love dreaming about things like this. But the pragmatic side of me doesn't see that much use for it.

Now if there was something that one man could carry (20-35 pounds) in lieu of his regular rifle, and could carry it a decent distance into the hide, then I might see it as useful. I keep thinking artillery, laser target identifiers and so on.

Perhaps a really compact laser target designator that looks not too much different from binoculars, and would designate a target 5-8K yards out would be more useful. Such a designator could be used with aircraft ordnance, mortars and other artillery , and anything else that could land on the laser dot. That is lots less stuff to carry around, and could use things already in the inventory.

Never send a Marine where you can send a bullet. Send a bigger bullet if possible....etc, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iron Worker1177</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is very interesting, I would also like to know of any updates on this. </div></div>they are currently cutting the barrel thread--it should take at lest 6 months more per revolution and a bunch of I wanna update posts
I think the rifle will have gone outa fashion by the time we see it lol

I know I for sure would love to see this rifle in person when it gets finished. Hell i will have no problem driving to VA to get to see this. If there are any pics please PM me and let me know where to see them.