• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5000 meters+ Supersonic (*Updated with pics*)

Re: 5000 meters+ Supersonic

Sweet, are you going to post pics of it once its put together?

Hear it????? With all due respect I want to be there to see it! LOL With those kind of numbers I would assume it's going to be one those "stand back and brace yourself" type of deals for onlookers. sheesh the muzzle pressure is enough to cut off apendages if close enough to the brake......

Still waiting on the muzzle brake to get back from MT. Dale said it should be this week. Headed to PA on March 2nd to put the barrel on the action, and fit the brake. Ran into a small bump tonite...just got my reamers back from Boots today...looks like he cut the chamber with my re size reamer instead of the finish reamer. Here is where it gets interesting! Boots told me to insert the finish reamer into the chamber and slowly turn it by hand to remove the last 8 thou or so. Put the finish reamer in the chamber and there is ZERO resistance. I had a lot of trouble getting these reamers made to the proper spec. I'm thinking that I got 2 finish reamers instead of a re size reamer and a finish reamer! I will have to measure in the AM to know for sure.
For some good news. I'm having Dan @ Warner Tool make some more forming dies and possibly inline seater. I will also be switching to a Corbin CSP-2 press. I'm looking at a 4-5 week turn around time on the dies. I will be headed to Reno NV for testing in early may, with equipment to really get a good look at my pressure traces. I should have video etc. At that time. I really want to see how far out I can stabilize these 6.9 caliber long projos. Ton going on with the rifle and I will update again soon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds good, keep up the hard work. Any hope of tracer rounds?</div></div>

In time the projectiles will carry a payload, HEI etc. That's something that we will start looking at a little further down the road. In reality, the only way to get any .gov agency to look at this cartridge is eventually go to a payload capable projo. Remote base defense may be an option for this cartridge, that way it takes the operator out of the equation, and makes it more realistic, recoil wise, weight etc. I will be filing for my class II Type 10 FFL in the coming weeks.

Sounds good Jon, I just hate you had all of those set backs we discussed on the phone. Good things come to those who wait ( or so they say....) btw I am back in town for good so if you are ever coming through my neck of the woods, give me a shout.

Measured the chamber today. Headspace is correct, reamers checked out ok, and they both go the exact same distance into the chamber. I'm beginning to think I'm ok, and Boots used both reamers...the re-size to rough the chamber. He can't remember. I guess tomorrow I will try my hand at chamber casting to figure out 100%.

The Tasco ones with the rings that you can still see your iron sights.....lol

Maybe this one

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/03qtXpoObfM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/03qtXpoObfM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

We thought about using the MARCH 80x scope, also the Valdata "terminator" scope.

Thats...just...awesome!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varoum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">US Optics http://www.usoptics.com/optics/sn-9.html</div></div>

I have thought about that as well...just wish they used fluorinated lenses or "HD " glass like Valdata does...

Did I miss a picture of the barrel somewhere? Done on 10/27, damn man, stop teasin...

Or...if you don't want to make it public, just say so
smile.gif

Cast the chamber this afternoon, and thankfully everything is in spec!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet. what kind of timeline are you looking at for the functions testing?</div></div>

Well im headed to PA on March 2nd to have everything put together. Im hoping early April for load development.

Just got back from PA. The brake, still does not want to go onto the barrel, so John will be working on that this week. I'm not sure wether it was Dale or Boots, but someone's threads are not the right pitch. There are exposed threads inside Dales brake, as well as 2 different width chambers inside the brake. Neither can be good we think. Also the the hole in the brake is rather large at .677. My projectile is .587. Dale is saying that I need to add 1/4" spacer gainst the shoulder of the barrel to increase the volume of the first chamber on the brake. I guess our question is why?. We don't like the exposed internal threads either. Not sure what we will do about the brake, except we will make it if nd see what recoil reduction is like. Dale offered to cut a 1/4" off the barrel , but I feel you always cut the least epensive part...
On a good note, we assembled the action, and the headspace is perfect! All that is left is for John to put the trigger on. I couldn't get the few small parts I needed for the trigger from Kearny Ritchie, so John will be making them this week. I hope to be picking up the barreled action in a week or two. Would have been today had the trigger gone on, and I didn't run into more issues with the damn muzzle brake! Warner Tool is finishing up the form dies, and Corbin is finishing the new press up to my specs. Also, John and Kyle of XLR have been communicating, so that on my drive to California, I will stop by XLR, and have Ktyle fit the chassis to the barreled action. More to come! I have a bunch of pics if someone can post them I will email them to you thanks!

That is one beast. Looks good so far.

Jon,

You need a new muzzle brake. Aside from the thread issues, the hole diameter is ~.040" larger than the generally accepted maximum for effective recoil reduction, which has added importance in your project.

There are liability considerations that the manufacturer should take very seriously before allowing you to proceed with this.

Noel,
Dale has assured me that this is strictly a prototype, and if it fails to meet expectations, he will take care of me and re-design it. I guess with a project like this we are all learning as we go.

What's the time of flight to the target?

And what's the probability that the target will move in that period of time?

With a stationary target, it won't move at all
smile.gif
And I can bet you its going pretty darn fast.

I don't have access to my laptop at the moment. I think to 1000 yards the software says 0.96 seconds still going 3000 FPS with 32000 ft lbs of energy. That's off the top of my head, and if the projectile truly has a B.C. of 2.18 @ 3,350 FPS. This is ALL a GUESS based on info from GS Custom bullets. Keep that in mind. We will know 100% SOON!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think the word massive does this rifle justice.

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-10.jpg
</div></div>

For those who might have missed these on the last page.

Just got off the phone with John from Ordinance Research. He finally got the brake on, and is making the 1/4" spacer Dale specd for his muzzle brake. All that is left is the trigger.

sayjao:

Great to hear the brake issue is past (hopefully).

All:

In case you, like me, thought the cartridge shown in the latest photos (in the loading poress) is the one sayjoa is using (the 14.9x102mm SOP), he tells me (and authorized this post) it is not. He advised:

It is a "20 x 102mm Vulcan",

"the 20mm in the press will push that projo (1,723gr.) @ 3,000 fps",

and its projectile is the work of one "John Buhay's of Ordinance Research."

when the whole things done... how much is it going to cost for someone to get one of these guns and the reloading equipment to go with it ?

There is still a ton of R&D to do, but I would hope around 8-$10,000, but that is a really rough guess. I have some demos with .gov to go through as well. I have just applied for my Type 10 FFL, so I will be able to manufacture these in the future.

XLR for the chassis. We are working on incorporating a nitro piston into the chassis design.

considering the free recoil numbers (anticipated) that will be much appreciated! LOL

Very impressive project! I will be following this effort.

saojao,
You are on your own with this one. The muzzle brake was designed for a 14.5 russian. The exit pressure is going to be huge. Dale will not take resopnsibility for the muzzle brake with the round you intend to shoot through that thing. As far as a supressor go, I know that Dale will not build one until he has all the information on the rifle, and even then if you are lucky. Sorry to give you the bad news, but thats the way it works. Please be safe, I just hope no one gets hurt.

LOL, Steve. I just deleted the my same response to saojao.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stephen Damron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">saojao,
You are on your own with this one. The muzzle brake was designed for a 14.5 russian. The exit pressure is going to be huge. Dale will not take resopnsibility for the muzzle brake with the round you intend to shoot through that thing. As far as a supressor go, I know that Dale will not build one until he has all the information on the rifle, and even then if you are lucky. Sorry to give you the bad news, but thats the way it works. Please be safe, I just hope no one gets hurt.</div></div>

Wrong on all accounts. Dale knows EXACTLY what round will be shot through this rifle. Dale knows and designed this brake to my rounds spec. Dale has Seen the orojo at SHOT. Dale knows what PSI I am running. This brake was/is a prototype. I didnt just call him and ask for a 14.5 russian brake. We talked at great length before he even cut metal. Im glad you are the expert.