• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5000 meters+ Supersonic (*Updated with pics*)

Re: 5000 meters+ Supersonic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noel Carlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS,

I will require that you withold performance information until general public release this Fall.</div></div>

That sounds fair...

Jon,

Send me a clean copy by mail. You have waited eight months to get this solved, so I can wait a few days for a legible certificate.

I will use the telephone number you initially provided to contact you with transaction details. Would you have any objection to shooting the ZA projectiles at the Fall demonstration?

Noel, with all respect... You do not even need a copy of my exemption to make a projectile, as long as it's not a warhead or AP, there is NO paperwork needed it's a moot point. If what you were saying was correct Barnes would need paperwork to produce their .585 projo that I can buy all day long. If you need further direction I can put you in touch with my ATF agent at the NFA branch who I just spoke to regarding this. Also, I want to test your bullets myself first before I demo anything at a shoot! Sounds reasonable right?

Saojao,

I need a clean copy of your certificate. That is not a problem, correct?

You are free to test the bullets yourself... with independent validation. Given the known dynamics of the typical 1,000 yard+ thread, I am sure you understand why this is a good idea.

When I call you, I will provide the contact information of the person overseeing the demonstration this Fall. The equipment will be set up the day prior, so you can have your own privately supervised session.

I doubt that there is a person on this forum who will question his objectivity, and you will concede as much when you find out his identity. This protocol will *eliminate* the cantankerous BS that permeates these dialogues.

Noel,
Why do you need a copy? You make bullets not rifles. I have cash tell me where to send it for the bullets. There is absolutley NO reason you, a bullet manf. need a copy of that document. If you are going to waste my time let me know now...We can do all the shooting you'd like when I have the bullets.

... Now you really have me wondering Jon..

You comment that you would like to post this document on the web, but you have an issue sending me a copy, by mail, when that was an explicit precondition of selling you projectiles eight months ago.

What's up?

Looking forward to seeing this project come together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noel Carlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... Now you really have me wondering Jon..

You comment that you would like to post this document on the web, but you have an issue sending me a copy, by mail, when that was an explicit precondition of selling you projectiles eight months ago.

What's up?</div></div>
Noel Carlson said:
... Now you really have me wondering Jon..

Noel, if I post it online it will have all of my personal info as well and file # blacked out....I would love to buy some of your projos..call me if you want to talk...no one cares about or argument. I have some concerns I would like to discuss via phone.Thanks Noel!

I feel like I've been accidentally CC'd on an email chain between Noel and saojao
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">8 pages of reading and now I am ready for the climax......Can't wait for the weapon! </div></div>

Hahah I hope so.

Soon... Patiently waiting on Mr. Obermyer to work his magic
smile.gif

lol dogtown! I see the problem being proprietary concerns with folks and less "let it fly and let's read some data" mindsets. I for one have "talked" with Jon and he is a great guy that is thinking outside the box. I get the fact that legal concerns must be addressed but really, all of this banter is starting to wane the main focus of this thread.......... Good luck to all involved!

Curious to see what the final per-round cost works out to be for this monster...

Arbiter, I almost don't care! ELR shooting has never been a particularly cheap activity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curious to see what the final per-round cost works out to be for this monster...</div></div>

I can give you a rough idea:

Brass: $3
projectile: $8-9
powder: $20 lb (700 grain charge +-)
primers: $1 or $5 a piece depending on which one I use.

Spending $13-$20 a round at this point doesn't matter,compared to the amount of time and money I have in this rifle! At this level in the game, you pay to play!

You know, the first thing I did was to check the date of the OP, just to make sure it wasn't 1st April.

Then I read Frank's input. Practical and down to earth as usual. Then I recalled the cost of the bombs that Widow 6/9 and a Bone callsign were prepared to drop to take out 1 (ONE) 120mm mortar (Read the book, 'Firestrike 6/9') in Helmand province, then I recalled the words of my mate, Rem700Man...

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

You would not have gone for something like 7 or 8 months and not produced a single picture of anything.

Or am I just a sceptical cynic?.......

N

I'm thinking this is a wind up.

The OP states; "I never post here", with a post count of 69 or whatever it was. Clearly you do post here, or your post count would be 1.

Now, if I wanted every long range super enthusiast to cream his pants, how would I do it.............?

Oh yeah, I could tell them that I have IN DEVELOPMENT a rifle and cartridge capable of shooting 5000yds, yeah, that'll get 'em drooling.

As Mike says...

"PICTURES OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN"

Cynically yours,

Neil

saojao,

Exactly! Skeptics be damned. Just like racing. Speed costs! How fast do you want to go? Accuracy at distance costs! How accurate do you want to be, and how far do you want to hit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking this is a wind up.

The OP states; "I never post here", with a post count of 69 or whatever it was. Clearly you do post here, or your post count would be 1.

Now, if I wanted every long range super enthusiast to cream his pants, how would I do it.............?

Oh yeah, I could tell them that I have IN DEVELOPMENT a rifle and cartridge capable of shooting 5000yds, yeah, that'll get 'em drooli

As Mike says...

Cynically yours,

Neil</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking this is a wind up

Now, if I wanted every long range super enthusiast to cream his pants, how would I do it...........

Oh yeah, I could tell them that I have IN DEVELOPMENT a rifle and cartridge capable of shooting 5000yds, yeah, that'll get 'em drooling.

As Mike says...

Cynically yours,

Neil</div></div>

Hmmm started this post with 2 posts most of my 69 posts have been on this thread....look back a page, I have pics of my reamers and action. I take it you have zero experience designing a cartridge from scratch. CUSTOM is the word and CUSTOM means TIME and money. Do me a favor and don't waste my time. Thanks.

You don't HAVE to read my posts. I'm not wasting your time.

Now, with a strong background in science, I want to see EVIDENCE before I believe anything. Your reamer pictures have nothing to give SCALE, they could be something small pictured from very close, or they could be something large, pictured from far away, but without something to give a sense of scale, the pictures are meaningless. Same with the action. Now it <span style="font-style: italic">looks</span> like a big-ass MoFo, but is it really? Again, we cannot tell because we have nothing with which to judge the size, as we have nothing of KNOWN size to compare with.

As stated previously, Governments have no issue with cost. After all, YOU and <span style="font-style: italic">I</span> are paying for their ordnance, so is a Government agency really interested in cost saving on ordnance when they can just put up our taxes to pay for the next JDAM? I don't think so. So are they looking for a $12 solution, when they already have a weapon in the inventory which will take out a hard target at 5K. I'm thinking not.

Sorry, but there is just too much here which is hearsay. Show me the evidence and I will be a believer.

And no, I have never tried to design a custom cartridge, but I do know a bit about aerodynamics, and I do know a bit about the effects of scale. But mostly I know about publishing scientific papers. You know, evidence, peer review, citing sources, that kind of shit. When you do all of that, then people tend to believe what you're saying. But just shouting louder that your dick is bigger than mine don't make it so.

Get your tape measure out. AND PROVE IT.

I'm bored with this thread now.

N

The standard on reamers is to have a 3/8" square shank in the US. That's enough scale to realize just how big that reamer is.

The reamers are in the picture next to the action. The pic rail across the top confirms the size of the action and the size of the reamers.

Paduan Learner,

I've had discussions with saojao about his new build.

He has been more than forthcoming about everything.

You need to keep in mind that he does have the right to NOT reveal ALL the details because there still is the issue, in my strongest opinion, that his idea could get stolen.

That's why I, myself, have not asked for specific details about this to protect HIS idea, and to insure that the credit is his and his alone.

If you have a strong background in science then maybe you could brainstorm with him a bit on it.

PL,

My understanding is that saojao is interested primarily in internal ballistics, and if you look closely at the reamer you will notice a radius at the shoulder/body junction. This will have a positive effect upon case efficiency.

What details he has yet to work out elude me as much as you, but there is little doubt regarding scale, or feasibility... that is not to say that I relish the idea of pulling the trigger behind that much propellant.

It is virtually certain that there will be ample gas to provide a decent brake response.

Good point, ArmaHeavy, IMHO. I am very much looking forward to being able to purchase one of these rifles, when they are available. I think that all the naysayers are simply taking advantage of the possibility that saojao might not want his idea stolen before it is in production. I believe that, when the rifles are available, they will all be silenced. Of course, I could be mistaken. I would not bet that I am mistaken on this one, though.

Armaheavy,

OK, I kind of know you through the stuff you have posted previously, so I take on board what you say, and I believe you.

I understand the whole idea about intellectual property rights, but that's what patents are for. You don't actually have to have metal formed to file a patent, it's the registering of an IDEA.

Of course, if Saojao is not actually developing a new and unique idea, then he cannot file a patent. And there is pretty much nothing new under the Sun in terms of firearms development, until guns that go zap replace guns that go bang!

I'm not trying to piss all over you Saojao, it's just that after 9 pages of this epic thread, it is kind of reminding me of the old joke, how do you keep an idiot in suspense.....?

I'll tell you later.

Of course, like everyone, I am intrigued, but as I told a friend who developed something to save the airlines a shit-load of money "Don't tell ANYONE until you have a patent, and a manufactured product"

Unless you wanted specific input from the Hiders, Saojao, to assist in the development of your idea, I just think that you would have been better advised to quietly beaver away in your basement, and then do the "VIOALA!, who wants to buy one of these?" Thing.

An AMR is really going to need an explosive, incendiary, AP, or even something like the Raufos projectile/warhead. I can't see that your projectile has sufficient energy/speed for a 'Kinetic Kill', even though it has a shit-Ton of energy at the muzzle.

Always fascinated by new developments in the field of weapons/munitions, but I fear you may be venturing down a genetic cul-de-sac, as I don't see an application for your idea, not whilst there are off the shelf solutions available to the military.

Please bear in mind that I have no dog in this fight, and that I come at it from a very specific background, based in medical transplant research and rejection. Hence we would NEVER publish in open source material, "Hey, Guys, I'm thinking of looking at the interaction of Interlukin 11 with renal necrosis and rejection mechanisms" Because I know full well Glaxo-Smith-Kline would be all over that like a rash and they have a MUCH bigger R&D budget than we ever did. We read the source material, did the research and then PUBLISHED the finished paper as a completed work. Then no-one can take that away from you.

But hey, Dyson is a multi-millionaire now, from just beavering away in <span style="font-style: italic">his</span> basement, but if you check him out, you'll see that he has patents up the yingyang, and RUTHLESSLY prosecutes anyone who infringes his patents.

I'd probably have done it differently Saojao, but that's what makes the world interesting, we're ALL different.

I still want to see some evidence though. A gun, firing, and on target effect.

"I want to believe..."

Thanks Bohem, didn't know that. Filed away for future reference.

Neil

I do not see what the issue is? If a person wants to design a cartridge that will perform like he has stated (at least on paper anyway) the last time I checked it is still America so he has every right to do so. Things like this take time and money with lots of testing. I say go for it and forget the negative comments Columbus did. No I do not know who is involved in the project but I do find it very interesting they are being flamed by some for trying to complete a task at hand that some people might want to purchase down the road if the project works out.

Anyways, Im just going to ignore our friend PL...by reading his last post it's pretty obvious he has NO clue about anything he is saying. I won't even respond to his posts again.

For everbody else, called Boots yesterday, and he said hopefully end of next week for the barrel....so Im crossing my fingers! I will put this out there as I have for many other people who have PMed me. When I get this thing finished up, anyone who makes it to VA, and would like to put some rounds down range, let me know via PM, and I will give you my cell # so we can set something up.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel like I've been accidentally CC'd on an email chain between Noel and saojao
wink.gif
</div></div>

This is the only noteworthy post in the entire thread. It actually conveys the most information about what's actually happening here. It should be the first post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saojao</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curious to see what the final per-round cost works out to be for this monster...</div></div>

I can give you a rough idea:

Brass: $3
projectile: $8-9
powder: $20 lb (700 grain charge +-)
primers: $1 or $5 a piece depending on which one I use.

Spending $13-$20 a round at this point doesn't matter,compared to the amount of time and money I have in this rifle! At this level in the game, you pay to play!</div></div>

Hot damn. What sort of primers would cost $1 or $5 apiece? At 700 grains of powder, that's not quite up into recoilless rifle territory, but getting there: does it use an flash tube? $20/lb for powder seems rather low unless you're using some sort of surplus 20mm powder or something of that order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't HAVE to read my posts. I'm not wasting your time.

Now, with a strong background in science, I want to see EVIDENCE before I believe anything. Your reamer pictures have nothing to give SCALE, they could be something small pictured from very close, or they could be something large, pictured from far away, but without something to give a sense of scale, the pictures are meaningless. Same with the action. Now it <span style="font-style: italic">looks</span> like a big-ass MoFo, but is it really? Again, we cannot tell because we have nothing with which to judge the size, as we have nothing of KNOWN size to compare with.

As stated previously, Governments have no issue with cost. After all, YOU and <span style="font-style: italic">I</span> are paying for their ordnance, so is a Government agency really interested in cost saving on ordnance when they can just put up our taxes to pay for the next JDAM? I don't think so. So are they looking for a $12 solution, when they already have a weapon in the inventory which will take out a hard target at 5K. I'm thinking not.

Sorry, but there is just too much here which is hearsay. Show me the evidence and I will be a believer.

And no, I have never tried to design a custom cartridge, but I do know a bit about aerodynamics, and I do know a bit about the effects of scale. But mostly I know about publishing scientific papers. You know, evidence, peer review, citing sources, that kind of shit. When you do all of that, then people tend to believe what you're saying. But just shouting louder that your dick is bigger than mine don't make it so.

Get your tape measure out. AND PROVE IT.

I'm bored with this thread now.

N</div></div>

The photos are pretty convincing to me. You can't fake something like that using digital modeling without spending far more money and time than it would be to actually machine it up in real life. And the scale looks quite reasonable - even if it weren't, again, the effort required to make a miniature copy of a full-scale action would be prohibitive. There are certain things that logic alone can rule out as inherently unlikely, and at the same time it's logical and reasonable that such projects take a long time to reach maturity.

Hey, look at the bright side... if you like soap operas and your TV is broken you can always tune into the ELR section
smile.gif

M-115 primers or m36a2 primers are $1-5...as far as the question about the flash tube...We use the flash tube assembly used in the 25mm Bushmaster round for some loads. As far as the cost of powder.....powder is cheap when you buy a very large quanity at a time, and get it directly from the manf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saojao</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyways, Im just going to ignore our friend PL...by reading his last post it's pretty obvious he has NO clue about anything he is saying. I won't even respond to his posts again.

For everbody else, called Boots yesterday, and he said hopefully end of next week for the barrel....so Im crossing my fingers! I will put this out there as I have for many other people who have PMed me. When I get this thing finished up, anyone who makes it to VA, and would like to put some rounds down range, let me know via PM, and I will give you my cell # so we can set something up.
smile.gif

</div></div>

Well.......

FUCK YOU!!!

How many scientific papers have <span style="font-style: italic">YOU</span> had published sj??

Ooooooh, I'm just guessing here, but I got to go with <span style="font-size: 11pt">NONE</span>. So, clearly I know WAY more about that than you do. The issue was about producing <span style="font-style: italic">EVIDENCE</span> of your super whizz bang invention.

But clearly, you are a super-genius and the rest of us mere mortals with IQ's round the 140 mark are not fit to even so much as worship at your feet.
I take back all I said above. You're a knob. Oh, and your grammar sucks.
FYVM.

perhaps he's just a person with an idea, some ambition and a goal with the drive and the means to attempt it and you're just a internet tough guy?

Pauden, why are you so hard up to see pictures and want hard evidence so quickly? He can't take pictures of something he doesn't have and there is no need to hound him to get it done so you alone can prove to yourself that you hold yourself so high and mighty because you know what you are talking about. Where is your BFG? Would you mind toning it down a little and let the rest of us enjoy the thread? You don't have to read it if you don't like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well.......

FUCK YOU!!!

How many scientific papers have <span style="font-style: italic">YOU</span> had published sj??

Ooooooh, I'm just guessing here, but I got to go with <span style="font-size: 11pt">NONE</span>. So, clearly I know WAY more about that than you do. The issue was about producing <span style="font-style: italic">EVIDENCE</span> of your super whizz bang invention.

But clearly, you are a super-genius and the rest of us mere mortals with IQ's round the 140 mark are not fit to even so much as worship at your feet.
FYVM. </div></div> I didn't know an individual had to show evidence and scientific papers when sharing info on something they've spent their OWN TIME and MONEY on developing, on a forum.

You put people off posting info for others who are ACTUALLY INTERESTED in this. Can you and any others stop ruining saojao's thread please.

Paduan Learner, I suppose it did not occur to you that just because you have not seen whatever would convince you that saojao is doing exactly what he is saying, does not prove that he is not doing it.

I further suppose that it did not occur to you that the system saojao is developing takes huge amounts of time and effort, let alone money, to make, and that the road to completion requires certain precautions against those who would steal his idea if they got the chance.

A background in science, strong or otherwise, does not mean that you know anything about what it takes to design and build what saojao is designing and building. Building a new gun and cartridge does not require the designer to abide by the requirements for a scientific paper. Your insistence on his doing so, and your being profane when he does not, shows nothing, other than your desire to complain. I do not know you or saojao, but my bet is on saojao. If I am mistaken, I will happily buy you a family size bag of hot air. I believe that saojao will show us exactly what he said he would, given sufficient time, and I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing it, and hopefully buying it.

I fail to see why a wildcat case dropped into an existing ( and far from novel) action gets so much attention.

The Military already have projects that produce manifestly better results in terms of payload and practicallity at a similar projectile cost, its just our friend isn't in that development loop.

Get real with the simple math on this,...you cannot hold a shoulder fired rifle still enough to accurately engage targets with a high percentage hit probabillity and MOA accuracy at 5k. Its nonsense.

Its easy to build a 14.5 widcat on a big action to get a flat shooting package with a decent ULD projectile. The usefullness eludes anyone with some common sense.

Maybe because some people are interested in this, as a hobby, or just interested in the subject??.

Who cares if YOU don't think it's useful, or makes sense.

This topic has more going for it then 2 pup's in a prarie dog town!
Oh and Paduan Learner, this topic was NOT started by you.
Saojao started this thread.
If you don't like it don't read it.
Other's seen to be more patient then you and have an interest in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
saojao said:
Anyways, Im just going to ignore our friend PL...by reading his last post it's pretty obvious he has NO clue about anything he is saying. I won't even respond to his posts again.

smile.gif

</div></div>

Well...

FUCK YOU!!!

FYVM.[/quote

I think you just showed us ALL how big a tool you are!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saojao</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saojao</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyways, Im just going to ignore our friend PL...by reading his last post it's pretty obvious he has NO clue about anything he is saying. I won't even respond to his posts again.

smile.gif

</div></div>

Well.......

FUCK YOU!!!

FYVM. </div></div>

I think you just showed us ALL how big a tool you are!
smile.gif
</div></div>
Fixed
smile.gif

I'm about as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar.

Remember everybody, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...How many scientific papers have <span style="font-style: italic">YOU</span> had published sj??

Ooooooh, I'm just guessing here, but I got to go with <span style="font-size: 11pt">NONE</span>....</div></div>
Gee, then I guess that lumps him in with Malcolm Cooper, Gale McMillan, Ronnie Barrett, Christian Sharps, the Hawken brothers and John Moses Browning, <span style="font-style: italic">n'est-ce pas?</span>

Like alot of other people reading the thread, I am not interested in reading all this other BS!! I want to read about the rifle/cartridge this thread is about.