• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Sherman Short Mag

I am building a 24 inch tikka dbm 7 saum with oal over 3.1 on my dummy rounds sent for the chambering. I dont know which mag length you would want for which oal in a 7ss. However, from what I have heard you need to only shoot the slowest powders to get the accuracy out of the 7ss. So h1000/h4831/retumbo ish. I dont know which if any are better/best, but that cartridge seemed picky if I recall correctly. The kicker-those 3 powders are very difficult to source right now. Id only do that one if you have line on whichever powder is most commonly used (i cant remember which).

I am building a 24 inch tikka dbm 7 saum with oal over 3.1 on my dummy rounds sent for the chambering. I dont know which mag length you would want for which oal in a 7ss. However, from what I have heard you need to only shoot the slowest powders to get the accuracy out of the 7ss. So h1000/h4831/retumbo ish. I dont know which if any are better/best, but that cartridge seemed picky if I recall correctly. The kicker-those 3 powders are very difficult to source right now. Id only do that one if you have line on whichever powder is most commonly used (i cant remember which).
H4831 is fantastic with the 160-170 bullets.
R26 and N565 are my favorites for the 180-190’s
Since your running long H1000 is also a good option.

H4831 is fantastic with the 160-170 bullets.
R26 and N565 are my favorites for the 180-190’s
Since your running long H1000 is also a good option.
Did you end up building a sherman or are you running those in your 7 saum? Had you gotten any hits on animals with those 190 bergers you bought?

SAUM: commercial availability (in normal times) of everything - reamer, brass, dies

Sherm Short: very specific availability

I suppose if that’s something to factor in to a SAUM v SS decision as well. That and what bullet you want to shoot. Seems the SS might be the ticket for the 180+ crowd?

7 saum.
I shot a few coyotes with them lol
DEAD!
I know its literally a very different beast, but based on the yote damage do you feel the 190 is a viable hunting bullet for deer and other larger critters as far as expansion/otherwise? I cant get ahold of any 180 hybrids and am thinking of trying those 190s as a substitute

I know its literally a very different beast, but based on the yote damage do you feel the 190 is a viable hunting bullet for deer and other larger critters as far as expansion/otherwise? I cant get ahold of any 180 hybrids and am thinking of trying those 190s as a substitute
We talking deer. They fall over to a 75gr bullet in the shoulder. 190 be fine.

190 grains of lead ain’t nothing to joke about.
Put it where it needs to go and something is gonna take a dirt nap.

I shot a deer twice with a 338 220gr berger and it pencils through, same with my dads. I think they arent designed to expand at the higher velocity with a deer, but would have with something more substantial like say elk or moose? Theories as to what went wrong, but its all I've got. If a 190 expanded on a coyote id shoot a deer with it, if not...jury is still out.

I didn’t recover the Bullets.
All were a bit messy on the exit including on shot at a bit over 900 yards.
If I was still hunter I’d rather shoot a bullet designed for the purpose.

So the exit wound showed evidence of expansion it sounds like? I agree with wise bullet selection. I dont want to derail this thread.

I am running a TL3 + Accurate mag 300 wsm mags without any issue for my 7SS. Highly recommend.

https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/300-winchester-short-magnum-dssf-magazine/
What projectiles are you stuffing in there and how well are they working, is distance to the lands reasonable?

I've been slowly collecting parts to build out a 7SS in a short action. I'm keeping an eye out for 180gr Hybrids, I'm thinking those should be the right length to fit well in a short action.

What projectiles are you stuffing in there and how well are they working, is distance to the lands reasonable?

I've been slowly collecting parts to build out a 7SS in a short action. I'm keeping an eye out for 180gr Hybrids, I'm thinking those should be the right length to fit well in a short action.
I'm shooting 175 Elite Hunters at 2.900" COAL. And to be honest, I never even measured the lands. I eyeballed putting the boat tail junction right at the neck/shoulder junction. Loaded up a ladder and got a 3.5 SD with 62.0 gr of RL26 with around ~0.5" group and never looked back. This gun has a 20" barrel that I wanted to keep it short and lighter weight to hunt with, so I'm not shooting it too far, except at the range for fun. But this load, in a 20" barrel is going 2850fps which I was pretty excited with.

Reactions: TylerN