• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Any opinions on these 3 rifles?

Wilsun

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Lincoln, Nebraska
I'm getting close to buying my first target rifle (.308).

I'm looking at the following three rifles:

1) Savage Model 12 F/TR MSRP $1,302

2) Remington Model 700 Target Tactical MSRP $1,972

3) Cooper Varmit MSRP $1,595

Personally, I'm most excited about the Remington.

I'm new to target shooting. The property I shoot at limits my range to 300 yards.

Any other suggestions are also appreciated. I don't want to spend the money on a custom gun. I don't plan on shooting in any competitions; this is just for fun.

Thank you.

Re: Any opinions on these 3 rifles?

If I had to pick from those three I'd pick the 700, but I'm biased because I shoot and love 700s. While the 700 target tactical does look sweet and probably shoots great, it seems like a lot of money for anything coming from remington. First off, make sure your going to have enough cash left over for glass. There no sense spending $2k on a rifle if your only going to put a $200 scope on it. It wont shoot like a $2000 rifle, it will shoot like a $200 scope.

That said, if you dont want to build a custom rifle, but you want the tactical style rifle (like the 700 your looking at) you might want to look at the FN-SPR series and the Tikka T3 tactical. Both look great, are under the price point of the remington, and both will shoot great out of the box. Another option, and probably your best one for getting the most rifle for your money, is to watch the for sale ads here in the forums. Good luck and happy shooting!

I wish I was starting out with those kind of options.
Id go with the 700 tho. its tried and true. and there durable I dont even want to think how far ive draged one between my leggs, over rocks and through frozen streems, never had one go "deadline" on me.

definatly need to find a better range though, the real fun starts at 500 you can shoot all day at 300 and not get the satasfaction of just 1 hit at a 1000+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilsun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting close to buying my first target rifle (.308).

I'm looking at the following three rifles:

1) Savage Model 12 F/TR MSRP $1,302

2) Remington Model 700 Target Tactical MSRP $1,972

3) Cooper Varmit MSRP $1,595 </div></div>

I am a Remington and Winchester fan but here is my assessment.

The Savage would be good but I have no time behind one.

The Remington while good, I think you would be better just to get a 5R or SPS in either a varmint or a tactical model and then stock it with what trips your fancy. I would not pay anything close to that MSRP, if you can get it under a grand then that would be a different story.

The Cooper, I have never seen one in person, so can’t answer.

I think this is a good thread. I think it is always worthwhile to be reviewing current factory rifles.

I suggest adding a Tikka T3 Varmint/Tactical on that list.
Tikka rifles are known to shoot well from factory. 1MOA

remington and it will have a better resale or at least it would to me

I am with Wildcard 75, Tikka Varmint or Ultra Varmint Stainless would be at top of my list.
Reasons:
1. THEY HOLD 5 ROUNDS IN THE MAG and can have one in chamber.
2. You can (I will)start off with 30.06 and then rebarrel later for any medium case head 22-250 to 35 Whelen and change nothing but the barrel.
4. The cross section of the receiver is massive.
5. Bolt movement is very smooth right from the factory. If you have ever felt a 30-40 Krag bolt, this is it.
6. They come with scope rings and you can get Weaver base adaptor which will allow you to mount an iron sight on the rear. Just drill and tap front of barrel for sight and you are good to go for any rifle any sight competition as well as NRA Course rifle.
7. Spare mags are easily obtained.
8. About 800.00 range is what I am seeing the for. Having trouble finding a LH one in 30.06 right now but they are made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilsun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2) Remington Model 700 Target Tactical MSRP $1,972</div></div>

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER PAY MSRP!!!!!!! MSRP is set by the manufacturer. Wholesale on that remington is only $1400!!!!

With that said. if you like the remington 700 go with the R5 milspec. It has a faster twist rate and gives you more accuracy.

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-499-83...pe-rifling.aspx

It's way cheaper than the target tactical and more practical. It has a sub 1/2 moa out of the box accuracy. It is easy to obtain under 1/4 moa at 100 or 200 with this bad boy. Also its a hair over a Grand. You can spend anywhere from $700 to $4000 on a good scope so you can use the extra money to get some great glass.

What is your intended use of the rifle? Where do you live? What is your budget? What is your budget for glass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilsun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm new to target shooting. The property I shoot at limits my range to 300 yards.

Any other suggestions are also appreciated. I don't want to spend the money on a custom gun. I don't plan on shooting in any competitions; this is just for fun.

</div></div>

IMHO, not competing just for fun and 300 yards, consider if you really need the $1,300 - $1,900 rifle? i mean if you have the $ to do it by all means get the better models but just about any of the savages in the 10, 11, would fit that bill and still be under 1,000 and leave $ for optics, trinkets, and ammo.

i bought a cheap stevens mdl .308 for $325 that out of the box shot 1.75" groups a 200, and just over 3" at 300, with a trigger upgrade, bipod, sloped base, knob, and optics is shooting moa out to 550, for under $900.

the 700 would have a better resale value if you wanted to sell it, and i think the tikka has some sort of 1" warranty with it.

the savages and remingtons seem to have a ton of upgrades and options you can actually do yourself, a +1 for them. i thoughts are that for fun, start with the "plainer" models taht have decent accuracy features (ajustable trigger, heavy barrel) and add what you need / like to fit your particular situation.

i would give the cooper a good look. they a guaranteed to shoot 1/2" 3-shot groups at 100 yards. i have a phoniex in 22-250ai and it will shoot well under the 1/2". the cooper is as close as you can get to a custom without having one built

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: connor55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As for advantages of the stock, IMO you do not need experience to comment that a rifle with 2 front studs+under grip is to be shot from prone. Or that if there are no studs its not a tactical rifle.

Connor</div></div>

Actually you do need experience for that endeavor. Just because a stock does not have a bipod stud does not mean it cannot be effectively shot from a prone position. One can very easily shoot off of a pack, which I do quite frequently, or off of a more stable rest a la F-Class. There is a history of MANY rifles without two front studs actually USED as a tactical rifle to great effectiveness. Two front studs is not the standard by which a rifle is judged.

Wisun,

There is a great deal of information that should be shared prior to making a commitment on which rifle should you choose. Here are a few in no particular order.

What is your total budget for rifle, scope, etc.?
Do you reload?
Are you opposed to used?
Why only those three models?
Do you ever think you may shoot farther than 300yds?
Do you think you may want to try and compete?
Are you stuck on a 308?

Personally, just based off of the limited information you gave I wouldn't pick either one of those rifles.

If you want to be like everyone else..get the 700. If you want the best bang bang for your buck...go Savage...If you want to be a little different and want a factory gun that is close to being a custom with a smooth action..get the Cooper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1) What is your total budget for rifle, scope, etc.?
2) Do you reload?
3) Are you opposed to used?
4) Why only those three models?
5) Do you ever think you may shoot farther than 300yds?
6) Do you think you may want to try and compete?
7) Are you stuck on a 308?
</div></div>

Thank you for replying, Mike.

1) $3,000
2) Yes
3) No
4) Limited knowledge. I'm open to any suggestions.
5) Possibly
6) Possibly
7) No

have wal mart check there prices of the rifles,they can normaly get the best prices
savage 12f/tr wal mart price was like $900 or so

Wilsun,

There are many options available to you. But based on the few parameters you gave along with taking some liberties here is what I would suggest.

I would find a good, used PSS, VLS, Or some type of heavy barreled 308. Whether it be a Savage, Remington, Winchester, whatever. Don't worry about the VLS laminated stock. It's a fine stock and will work for your application. Unless you're out hunting someone who's hunting you you don't need anything fancy. The platform is nearly irrelevant although again if it was me I would stick with either a Remington or a Winchester.

for a scope I would look at something like the Super Sniper HD, Sightron, or one of the many mid-range scopes.

I would spend the rest of your budget on match ammo from someone like Dallas Reloads and shoot the crap out of your rifle.

For what you are going to do you don't need anything fancy. Any stock, Varmint contour barrel .5 moa rifle will satisfy your needs. You can get a good scope that will will take you out to three hundred yards without concern. The balance of your budget will teach you everything you need to know about shooting. Get out and shoot.

Later, if you decide to either stretch your legs out consistently or compete you will A) have a rifle that will be able to compete and B) the knowledge that your ammo and experience will have taught you.

I am certainly no expert, but I would get the Model 700 simply because I have had good experience with the brand. I have been looking at the Target Tactical recently, and it appears that the best price is about $1500, around 24% off msrp. I doubt you will find one any cheaper.

I've had three rem 700s, two pss and one p. very good rifles out of the box. Having said that I would get the savage. have you looked at the 10fcp? I also looked at the savage 12bvss but went with the mcmillan stock. incredible accuracy and I haven't needed to do a thing to it. should leave you plenty'o green for a good scope. i thought about trying the tikka as well but at the time it was a few hundred more $$ than the savage.

if you have the coin to drop on the 3 rifles you offered up for suggestions, I'd skip them all and purchase a nice custom action to start. The money you're talking is custom money, not factory rifle money. If you buy a factory rifle, that's exactly what you'll get.
Now if you cant afford to build your own right off, or dont have the experience to drive one, then I'd say look at the 5R, or better yet, the rem700 SPS-v. You can have a working rifle from the get go and change it up as you can afford, all the while gaining the experience needed to make the right choices for yourself. Not to mention you can spend whats left over on good glass.

I like Savage rifles but the R700 looks like a better deal.

But on the other hand, why spend $1,300-$1,800 for 300 yards; maybe for 500-1,000 yards. I'm happy with my Savage 12FV out to 500 yards and it cost me $400.

I say go with the Cooper. It's the closest to a custom. Skip the 308 and get a 6BR, 22BR or 6.5 Creedmoor. Any of these would be GREAT at 300 yds. Once you get the reloading components they'd be cheaper to shoot and extremely accurate.

Recommendations would be for a Remington 5R a SS FFP mil/mil scope some good rings and a box of the new Sierra 2156 155 grain .308

Then have a day of it. With that with some work you should easily be holding sub MOA at 300 yards and (big and) you will have more money for ammo and to hone your skills.

That and sign up for the online classes here on the Hide (best $120/year you will spend)

Wilsun,

The three rifles you mentioned are lot pricier than rifles of equal ability.

The Rem 700 is a way overpriced version of it's equally accurate, less expensive stable-mates because of Marketing. To a degree, so is the Savage 12 F/TR. The $500-$800 Savages and Remingtons will do what they do for the most part. There are some things improved on from them but they aren't going to make the differences you are going to need. Right away, anyways.
Cooper takes a different tack in that they seem more like a custom. They are well built rifles but again, there are factory rifles that will shoot right up with them. It's all about marketing.

Any Savage 10 or 12 and most any Remmy HB, SPS-V or PSS. And FWIW, I have two very accurate Winchester HB rifles that shoot very accurately. A model 70 Coyote in 7WSM and a 70 Stealth II in 25 WSSM. Tikka's are good too. The whole point here is you're getting good enough accuracy to start out with and you can afford really good glass. You can get a Nightforce or maybe a good Vortex to compliment any of these rifles. Great glass will help loads.

Next, we were talking about better rounds for competition the other day. Up for discussion was the .260 and .243. Many feel the .243 is an outstanding option clear out to 1000 yds. I do too. Since it's little brother holds accuracy records (6mm BR) @ 1000 yd., it certainly has the ability to get out that far. A tighter twist will stabilize the heavier longer bullets. But, if what you find only has a 1-10" twist then you needn't worry, the Berger 95 is still very competitive out to 1k. Anyhow, both cartridges beat the .308 hands down.

Get the Remington, there are so many aftermarket parts to make that rifle exactly how you want it and anyways its a 700

One last rifle to consider in your price range is a Kimber Tactical. I had one and wish I never got rid of it. Now i am looking for another one. Very accurate, smooth action, controlled round feed, nice trigger, bedded in a Mcmillan stock for uinder $1500. The only downside is it only comes in 308 or 300WM. They do make the 84M LPT which is a light Tactical rifle in 223 that is a nice rifle for under $900. If you REALLY shop the net..I have found these rifles even cheaper than the prices I have listed.
P.S...these rifle also come with a picatinny rail and a Badger type bolt knob whick together would cost a good $200 plus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msuhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the Remington, there are so many aftermarket parts to make that rifle exactly how you want it and anyways its a 700</div></div>

+1 on msuhunter's quote. my first rifle was a savage and i was bump out for the lack of aftermarket parts they are coming around. i sold it got my remmy and so happy now. i only wish i would got the remmy first(saving myself some money) live and learn!

Id like to add a +1 for the Tikka T3 Varmint/Tactical for reasons mentioned in the above posts. Smooth actions, detachable magazine and they shoot very well out of the box. Mine regularly fires 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards with handloads.

Just my 2 cents!

Matthais_31

I would go with the newer Savage and put the rest of your money in the best Optics you can afford.

Remington 5R +
The scope of your choice +
Ammo/reloading supplies

If you already have plenty of ammo or reloading supplies spend more money on the scope. I would rather have a PSS and a Nightforce than a AI with a BSA. You will notice a bigger improvement in the optics quality than the rifle.

Just because you have 3K to spend doesn't mean you have to waste some of it on a overpriced model rifle. Shoot the 5R and learn. Once you've burned up the barrel on the 5R you should have learned enough to decide where to go from there.

Quick update:

I purchased a Remington 700P (.308) and an SS 10x42HD scope.

I appreciate the advice that people gave here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilsun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick update:

I appreciate the advice that people gave here. </div></div>

How much did you give for it all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilsun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick update:

I appreciate the advice that people gave here. </div></div>

Good choices!!!

I have a savage 12 with a stainless fluted varmint barrel, Harris bipod and a Nikon Monarch scope ( I think 4-12x) I have to check but a guy owed me money and I got this in return. It shoots sub MOA. I know this because I've done it. I used it in a MCL sniper match in NJ. If I were top keep it I would put an HS precision stock on it but I don't need another .308. It has had a bolt and trigger job., I need to sell it to get my money back. Make an offer. If you are interested I will dig it out and get you all of the particulars. send a PM