• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Applied Ballistics Kestrel; Pro staff support thread

Q: for the Kestrel staff ,is it possible to upgrade an existing Kestrel unit ( no ballistic program)and install the applied Ballistics program.When the unit was purchased in New Zealand the units with ballistics programs only had ATRAG available ,my unit is the 4500NV with no ballistics at all.
Thank you.

It is not possible to upgrade from a non-ballistics kestrel to a ballistics one. The actual hardware is different because the ballistics unit requires a more capable processor than the pure weather units. As herofish stated, there is a trade-in program which you can look into.

Take care,
-Bryan

I thought I would share the AB Tactical version with you guys. Its a streamlined version that doesn't need connection to the internet, and comes with all the custom curves pre loaded. Heres a quick over view. I just wanted to share this with you guys, as another option that you have, should you choose to use it. I know I posted this before, but I said I would share it earlier in this thread. So here it is.

Here is the Main Screen, Setup Screen, and your weapon setup screen. Pretty straight forward (to bring up the range card you click one of the 3 variables up top.) Also on the setup screen you set your range card intervals.
Main_Screen.png
Setup.png
Weapon_Setup.png

Here is what your range cards look like.
Range_Card1.png
Range_Card2.png

Bullet Data, and Bullet Selection.
Bullet_Data.png
Bullet_Choices.png

Weather has 3 choices at the bottom. Pretty nice too. One uses the sensors on the phone (like galaxy s4, and s5 have full weather data on phone), one uses the internet and your location, and the other uses the kestrel. Having options is always good.
Weather.png

Target is pretty interesting too. You can self load the data, kestrel load the data, or you can just point your phone/tablet at the target, and select the variable you want to input. It takes the phones sensor data and uses that for the heading and inclination. You can also enter the target size if you select target.
Target.png

Alright so I am going to share this with you guys, its one of the features you can expect in the future. They have added the ability to share with the Kestrel Bluetooth Model directly. What this does is allow you to move your weapons profile into the kestrel without the need of the PC Software. Also this will give you a first look at an Extremely Streamlined new version of Applied Ballistics you will see in the future. Its called Kestrel Companion. Its actually really neat. I will include a couple screen shots for you guys. What it does, is it looks at the current weapon profile you have loaded on the Kestrel AB Model. It then gives you a slider on the right. That slider allows you to quickly adjust your range. After about 3 seconds it posts the windage and elevation adjustments for that weapon profile. Something to note here, it gives you real time data for weather as you will see, it also gives you some of the weapon and profile data. It is Bluetooth linked in to the kestrel, it is one screen, and requires you to have a weapons profile on the kestrel. This is easy to accomplish with the new update that will be coming out. That update allows you to upload a weapons profile from the AB Tactical software. So if you are in the field, and you need to make rapid adjustments you make those changes. With the push of one button it uploads the new data, and your good to go. I will upload a screen shot showing the new feature you will see it says " BTW this is another good reason to have the weather vane mount.

This is an add in from earlier showing targeting adjustments
Screenshot_2014_05_21_12_38_33.png

This is one of the new features coming in the update. You will see where it says Upload Profile To Device. This allows you to upload the weapons profile you have created to the kestrel. Eliminating the need to do it by hand or with a PC.
Screenshot_2014_05_21_14_38_05.png

This is the new Companion software to go along with AB and the Kestrel. You can see it shows your weather data on the bottom, as well as some of the weapon and ammo profile components. This is a very fast range card so to speak. It gives you a slider on the right, that slider is where you set the range. Then it gives you the adjustments you need to make for that range. It takes my phone all of about 3 seconds to make each calculation change, and I can see this is being incredibly usefull. Especially if you just need a quick table for hunting. It uses the current weapons profile in use on the Kestrel. So to change it, all you do is change your weapons profile on the meter. Essentially you can make, and program profiles in AB Tactical, and streamline them with the ballistics calculator. Then you can this as a super fast simplified range card. Something else to notice, you will see that my zero is 300m and at 300m it has me at -0.06. This is because I actually captured the weather for my zero, and its using the current weather to adjust it. Also when you change the range on the app, it changes it on the kestrel itself. So if I slide it up to 1200m the kestrels screen will read the correct changes for 800m.
Screenshot_2014_05_21_14_40_08.png
Screenshot_2014_05_21_14_39_58.png
Screenshot_2014_05_21_14_59_48.png

Alright guys another update and some info to pass on. A lot of benefits come with this software. First off updates are Free for Life. Also you can Transfer it from one device to another (something you cant do with google play purchases, if you change email addresses). Think of it more like buying actual software, where you can install it again on a clean slate if you need to. <--- AB Tactical.

On a side note, for wind capture when the kestrel is up and running. Scroll down, highlight wind and press the camera button and this will change it so it gets constant wind direction and speed. This will allow the companion to keep constant tabs on wind.

The Kestrel Companion App (The single screen app which the updated version I will show you in this post) is going to be either free or only a couple of dollars. The AB Tactical App is 125$, and the AB version you can find on google play is 30$ and 2$ for each of the custom bullet curves. However AB Tactical comes with the custom curves period no added charge. Kestrel Companion uses the profile loaded on the Kestrel. Any changes made on the Kestrel show up on the app, and vice versa almost instantly. This does require that a weapon and bullet profile already be made. As I have said before you have options. 1 do this by hand in the kestrel. 2 do this on PC and upload it (with Bluetooth version or pc cable). 3 A new option coming to you very soon, the AB Tactical version allows you to build your profile, calibrate your own ballistics, then upload profile to the kestrel. You can then use the Kestrel Companion as a simplified quick shot, or use the AB Tactical. Think of the companion as a mirror of the kestrel screen on your phone. Anything you do on the kestrel instantly goes to the app, and anything you do on the app instantly updates on the kestrel. The only thing you do on the Kestrel Companion is tell it your target range, and everything else updates automatically. It uses the weapon profile you currently have selected on the kestrel. Here are the screen shots. These photos are the latest version, the photos from before are an earlier beta. I hope you guys enjoy.

What you see before you connect:
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_40_50.png

Enter your range in 1 of 4 ways. On the Kestrel itself, Using the Slider, Enter the Number with keypad, Or use Arrows.
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_52_53.png
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_53_11.png
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_53_35.png
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_53_51.png

Last edited:
Military and LE only!!!!!! that sucks. When will there be a civilian version? And is the only difference that some pre programmed guns wont be in it? Great product but don't waist our time with all of the great software unless we as civilians can buy it.

AB Tactical = Military and LE Only.

AB in Google Play = Available to All. (This is available now)

Kestrel Companion = Available to those with Kestrel Applied Ballistics Bluetooth Models (Will be either free, or really cheap like 2$). It uses the solver built in to the Kestrel Itself, the Android app does not do the calculations.

Last edited:
Ballistic calibration on the Civilian version (or the available to all version). Also I am including some other features. All the features I showed you in AB Tactical can be found in AB. The only difference is AB Tactical is designed to be streamlined, and much quicker. You can still do it in the standard version as I will show you now. Also please keep in mind, I took these before I linked up with the kestrel, so the atmosphere had not been corrected yet.

Once you have a completed weapons profile, and bullet profile you will be brought to the environment screen. It should look like this:
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_02_06.png

At the bottom of this screen you can see two buttons. One says single shot, one says trajectory. You will also find a menu here that looks like this:
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_04_55.png

First I would like to talk about this menu and some of the things you can do here. These options are brought up by pressing your phones unique menu button. First off, get target azimuth. If your phone has a good compass in it like the Galaxy S4 and S5 do. You can simply point the phone at the target, and capture target direction. The same goes for get look angle. This will set the targets inclination to you. Station atmosphere allows you to get weather from a nearby weather station. However another option it says is Atmosphere from device. Some devices like the Galaxy S4 and S5 have built in temp, humidity and pressure. For those who aren't running a kestrel, or just need a quick temp adjustment you can use this, I will post a photo below that shows the options that pop up when you select it. Another option is calculate distance. You can actually set the target size in the reticle, and it will help you determine the size of the target. Here are screen shots of these last two options:

Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_05_26.png
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_05_33.png

These two photos show the atmosphere from device, and the calculate distance options.

Now lets go in to ballistics calibration. If you were to choose the single shot screen it would bring up a screen that says HUD and Reticle. When you in this screen you need to use your phones menu button. Mine happens to be outside of the on screen display next to the home button. When you press your phones menu button it brings up this:
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_02_16.png

You can see you have an option for ballistic calibration. If you push that button you get this:
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_06_03.png

That's your ballistic calibration function on the standard AB program. The other way to do this is to press trajectory. Which brings up a range table, reticle and graph screen. If you stay on the range table screen and push menu you can also bring up the ballistics calibration table here:
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_02_26.png

Once you have gotten the numbers you needed to calibrate your own shots (it really helps to have a chronograph but you don't have to have one) you then select run, and it will adjust your table to your own specific calibration.

This is the second place where you can customize the ballistics of your round. Now you also have other options on the other screens such as this compare with function that allows you to compare the flight path of up to 6 rounds:

Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_06_33.png

I did this in hopes of showing you guys that these features can be found on the AB standard model in google play. Just please make sure to remember you will need to find your individual phones menu button. Some phones have this on screen, other phones have it outside the screen next to the home button. Also to get to ballistic calibration you need to be inside the weapon profile, and have already selected and set up your round. Hopefully this helps.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I have the AB app already on my phone and have been using it for I think over 2 years ish. I also have the Kestrel with AB software on it and have been using that since the end of last summer. Still would like to know about the tactical version and if there will be a version of it that will be available to public?

I'm looking to get the components together to start load development for a 300WM being built and I'm a bit stuck. Are there custom curves yet for the 215 Berger Hybrid? The applied ballistics site has data on the 230 hybrid only, and I can't find either in the applied ballistics profile loader.
I've narrowed it down to a few bullets I'd like to try including the 208 AMAX, 210SMK, and the Berger 215 Hybrid, but if I can't get the curve on my Kestrel I may have to skip that one. I know I could probably get a hold of the G7 BC somewhere, but I feel like the custom curve would be a better choice.

Doc - looks like most of the development work is being done for the smart phone or tablet, any chance we'll see some of this come to us Kestrel users? Currently running version 4.80 which I think is the latest.

Would like to see some improvements on MV calibration and DSF when you have a known error in your dialing from the tall target test. On the Android version that Bryan shows in his DVD set, he shows how to do this is separate functions. the program in the Kestrel is not so straight forward.

Last edited:
I guess I didn't make myself clear. I have the AB app already on my phone and have been using it for I think over 2 years ish. I also have the Kestrel with AB software on it and have been using that since the end of last summer. Still would like to know about the tactical version and if there will be a version of it that will be available to public?
I will get an answer to this for you.

I'm looking to get the components together to start load development for a 300WM being built and I'm a bit stuck. Are there custom curves yet for the 215 Berger Hybrid? The applied ballistics site has data on the 230 hybrid only, and I can't find either in the applied ballistics profile loader.
I've narrowed it down to a few bullets I'd like to try including the 208 AMAX, 210SMK, and the Berger 215 Hybrid, but if I can't get the curve on my Kestrel I may have to skip that one. I know I could probably get a hold of the G7 BC somewhere, but I feel like the custom curve would be a better choice.
They are getting ready to release another 100 custom curves, I cannot say for sure if yours is in it, but I can ask. The G1 and G7 curves are already up for it in the software. The SMK 210 custom curve is already up and ready for custom curves and for G1 and G7. The 208 is not yet.

Doc - looks like most of the development work is being done for the smart phone or tablet, any chance we'll see some of this come to us Kestrel users? Currently running version 4.80 which I think is the latest.

Would like to see some improvements on MV calibration and DSF when you have a known error in your dialing from the tall target test. On the Android version that Bryan shows in his DVD set, he shows how to do this is separate functions. the program in the Kestrel is not so straight forward.
I can tell you. New firmware is already in the works. In fact it got some real world testing yesterday. So just hang in their! Things are moving.

.... Are there custom curves yet for the 215 Berger Hybrid? The applied ballistics site has data on the 230 hybrid only, and I can't find either in the applied ballistics profile loader.

I'm preparing to push an update to the BC and Custom drag model library sometime next month. I've got data on over 100 new bullets that will push to all AB solvers (Kestrel, apps, etc) soon which does include the 215 Hybrid.

Take care,
-Bryan

Q: for the Kestrel staff ,is it possible to upgrade an existing Kestrel unit ( no ballistic program)and install the applied Ballistics program.When the unit was purchased in New Zealand the units with ballistics programs only had ATRAG available ,my unit is the 4500NV with no ballistics at all.
Thank you.

Simon55 - you can't upgrade the firmware only. The hardware is different for the Applied Ballistics version of the devices. NK has a trade-in program that can be utilized to give you credit toward a new device.

We have been discussing a version available to the public. There are certain feature sets that are ITAR restricted that may go into the AB Tactical version and thus the reasoning for the limited release. However, we've discussed developing a version for civilians too that is of a different code base. Since it won't have any military funding tied to it, it is possible then to submit it for the possibility of public release.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but make sure and go in and turn in TS(target speed) off/set to zero. in the target area when in AB mode. It's on by default, and if you upgrade the software ( at least to 4.80) It will default back to a 2MPH target speed. This will really goof up your wind calls.

I'm preparing to push an update to the BC and Custom drag model library sometime next month. I've got data on over 100 new bullets that will push to all AB solvers (Kestrel, apps, etc) soon which does include the 215 Hybrid.

Take care,
-Bryan

Great news! Thanks for the reply Bryan, half way through your book, amazing stuff!

We have been discussing a version available to the public. There are certain feature sets that are ITAR restricted that may go into the AB Tactical version and thus the reasoning for the limited release. However, we've discussed developing a version for civilians too that is of a different code base. Since it won't have any military funding tied to it, it is possible then to submit it for the possibility of public release.

A demilled version would be just fine. I understand there are features there that civilians will never use. And the reg AB is the same solver. But when there are better features to make things quicker and easier to use bring it. A better mouse trap is always good.

Is there a way to get a stepped bc to the new kestrel? Used bullet library on phone with stepped bc and come ups are dead on, and with kestrel and this little varmint bullet they are way off with a single bc entered. Correcting the speed changes the curve too much. Havent tried adjusting the bc yet. Thanks

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but make sure and go in and turn in TS(target speed) off/set to zero. in the target area when in AB mode. It's on by default, and if you upgrade the software ( at least to 4.80) It will default back to a 2MPH target speed. This will really goof up your wind calls.

Thanks....I wondered why things weren't lining up. Any other setting like this we need to know about?

Any chance the Kestrel Companion will be available on an iOS or Mac OS platform? Or will the bluetooth Kestrel models still not be able to communicate with them? Thank you,
Brian

Interesting, I played with the target speed a bunch and it didn't change the wind hold at all. You have to look at the Ballistics heading to see the lead on a moving target on mine, it isn't added to the wind call at all.

Group - the target speed and the wind speed are decoupled. As LawnMM points out, it's only on the Ballistics Data page that the lead is displayed.

Brian - it won't be available on the iOS or Mac platform. The fundamental reason for lack of iOS support is a hardware issue, not a software one.

It is possible to use some of the software though with your Mac via VMWare Fusion w/ Windows or Parallels. I've been able to get the profile loader to work on my Mac running VMWare Fusion and Windows. If you have a Windows virtual machine, it's possible.

If you need a hand with that, I can post instructions.

I would appreciate instructions. I have a mac and run VM ware and can't seem to get my Kestrel to upgrade or get the AB bootloader to work. Thanks

Brian - it won't be available on the iOS or Mac platform. The fundamental reason for lack of iOS support is a hardware issue, not a software one.

It is possible to use some of the software though with your Mac via VMWare Fusion w/ Windows or Parallels. I've been able to get the profile loader to work on my Mac running VMWare Fusion and Windows. If you have a Windows virtual machine, it's possible.

If you need a hand with that, I can post instructions.

Nick,

I would also like to see the instructions, if you have not already posted them previously. I am having problems running Windows XP (which is no longer supported) and I just love my iMac too much.

Thank you for the awesome support and customer service. The AB Kestrel was absolutely spot on EVERY TIME during the Sniper's Hide Cup. My friend and I just love this unit and want to ensure we can get updates later on down the road.

Nick,

I would also like to see the instructions, if you have not already posted them previously. I am having problems running Windows XP (which is no longer supported) and I just love my iMac too much.

Thank you for the awesome support and customer service. The AB Kestrel was absolutely spot on EVERY TIME during the Sniper's Hide Cup. My friend and I just love this unit and want to ensure we can get updates later on down the road.

No problem... I posted instructions for VMWare Fusion running Windows 7 on a Mac. In this case, I used my iMac running Win 7 Pro.

Here's a link to the PDF: http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Software/ABLoader-VMware.pdf

It's really no different at all than just running it on Windows. The VMWare Fusion linkage to the Bluetooth on the iMac works great and so there were no special settings or anything I needed to do on the Mac side. It simply just worked.

Doc, I have a few questions about the android app with my kestrel ab:
How will this help me to have on android also vs just using kestrel?
Difference between ab android and kestrel companion? (I am not LE or mil)
How to get kestrel companion?

Thanks. Great thread.

Doc, I have a few questions about the android app with my kestrel ab:
How will this help me to have on android also vs just using kestrel?
Difference between ab android and kestrel companion? (I am not LE or mil)
How to get kestrel companion?

Thanks. Great thread.

Its really apples to oranges. The companion isn't out yet, but will be in the future. The AB app is a full blown solver, where you can create weapons profiles, with different bullet profiles on each weapon. You can make changes to the weather, you can do ballistic calibrations. You cant do any of that in the companion. The companion is like an information translator. The kestrel is doing all the solving, and holding all the information. The weapon profile is the one you loaded on the kestrel with the companion. With the app the solver is in the app not the kestrel. Think of the companion software as a live feed of what the kestrel is doing, where you can get on the fly range adjustments. Now their are some other features being added so keep an eye open as well. However I will say this. The AB Profile Loader (PC Software that creates weapon profiles on the kestrel) Has all the AB Custom Curves built in to it at no extra charge. Which is one way to create profiles for the Kestrel Companion.

Last edited:
Doc, so if I am using my kestrel in the field to get all in one ab and weather meter how would having to deal with another device help me? Am sure there is a reason but I bought the kestrel with ab to get rid of reliance on Droid phone AND weather meter. I would think you would want EITHER a kestrel ab OR a Droid ab app but not both?

Doc, so if I am using my kestrel in the field to get all in one ab and weather meter how would having to deal with another device help me? Am sure there is a reason but I bought the kestrel with ab to get rid of reliance on Droid phone AND weather meter. I would think you would want EITHER a kestrel ab OR a Droid ab app but not both?

depends on the kind of shooting. If I am deer hunting and need a quick fix I can use just the kestrel sure, or the companion. But if I am at the range shooting 100 rounds over the course of a couple hours, the app is a much better choice.

Doc, can I use either or both ab Google play and/or companion to play with variables and add new profiles for other bullets and then load to kestrel (to bypass the pc ab program and BT to kestrel like I do now).

I have read this thread thru a few times but info is coming in quicker than I can keep up with but new capabilities are sounding great.

Doc, you are a great teacher.

Doc, can I use either or both ab Google play and/or companion to play with variables and add new profiles for other bullets and then load to kestrel (to bypass the pc ab program and BT to kestrel like I do now).

I have read this thread thru a few times but info is coming in quicker than I can keep up with but new capabilities are sounding great.

Doc, you are a great teacher.

The answer is two part. As of right now, no. The AB Tactical Software, and the AB Loader(PC) are the only two ways to upload a profile in to the kestrel right now with Bluetooth in the field. The Kestrel Companion software only allows you to change range, and read data like weather and weapon profile settings. All other changes must be made on the kestrel itself (companion software is using the solver built in to the kestrel) if using the companion. In the future, I am sure other versions of software will be able to do this with time. However as it stands, AB Tactical is getting this ability first.

See my post on page 3 #150. Joe at NK told me was a Bluetooth compatibility issue. Get a USB 2.0 for your pc. They are very cheap. Disable your existing one and plug into USB port and will probably fix it.

If you chose to use the MV temp table feature, must it be done before performing the MV cal in order to get an accurate temp table or do these two features work independently?

All, I see one feature of using the android companion that Doc touched on which is that if you use a vane mount for your kestrel - its a lot easier to leave the Kestrel on the mount and manipulate the phone reading the data. Say if your at the range shooting - instead of in the field for example.

Got a couple questions, I was shooting at 1330 yards today. The kestrel gave me 31.7X MOA, my actual MOA needed was 33.0. I had 1 degree of incline. I put my actual MOA needed in the DSF. First, I did not see a change in my elevation after I applied the DSF is this normal? Second, with the 1 degree, I did not see a place to input this into the DSF. Will that effect the DSF calculated? Or should I have calculated the horizontal distance and entered this into the DSF? I understand it will not be a huge difference with only 1 degree, but if it were 20 it would.

A geek question: does anyone have conclusive reports of running the PC software necessary for AB Kestrel Bluetooth under Linux + Wine?
I know it is not "officially" supported; just getting it to run is good enough for me.

Wine? Wow. I havent touched Wine since around 1999. After Vmware started working well, wine disappeared for me. if I get some time. Maybe ill give winebottler a try on my Mac and see if it works.

Wine? Wow. I havent touched Wine since around 1999. After Vmware started working well, wine disappeared for me. if I get some time. Maybe ill give winebottler a try on my Mac and see if it works.
VMWare would be a solution, Oracle's Virtualbox would work just as fine, but the problem's not there. The problem is that I don't actually own a Windows license (happily lost the last one maybe 7 years ago). Another problem is that running a full-blown resource-hungry virtual OS full of bloatware -- just to support a utilitarian piece of hardware -- looks to me like a total overkill.

VMWare would be a solution, Oracle's Virtualbox would work just as fine, but the problem's not there. The problem is that I don't actually own a Windows license (happily lost the last one maybe 7 years ago). Another problem is that running a full-blown resource-hungry virtual OS full of bloatware -- just to support a utilitarian piece of hardware -- looks to me like a total overkill.

I have it running under Linux + Wine and Mac OS + Wine but it won't recognize the com ports running like that unfortunately. The rest of the guns saving and building works though. But the only way I've gotten it to work with the COM ports is through VMWare.