• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bigger press

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    Figured I'd put this here, rather than the general reloading forum...

At what point do you see it being either a) necessary or b) worth it (by whatever metric) to move up to one of the bigger presses?

Where do you go from something like an O-frame with 1-1/4" threads like a Redding Big Boss II, to something bigger like a Redding UltraMag or an RCBS Ammo Master? Not sure I'm on board with going nuts on one of the premium foreign presses (Lenzi, Turban, Talon, etc.) though I could be talked into it ;)

If it matters, at the moment the biggest cartridge I currently have a .338 LM, with a .300 PRC and a .338 LM Imp. in the works. Eventually (sometime next year?) I'd like to start on something like a 37XC, if all goes well. The press(es) I have now (Dillon 550B and Forster Co-Ax) can handle what I have at the moment... just looking at 'down the road' at bigger cartridges and/or bigger dies.

Last edited:
    Tagging along

I have no complaints about loading 37XC on my rock chucker supreme
    Coal 4.780

I used to reload 375CT on my Big Boss 2.

That being said it was a POS compared to my Turban. If you can afford the Turban you'll be glad you spent the money and I'll leave it at that.

I will second on the Turban press. A press is the hart of the reloading process

Both the Prazi Talon and Turban are impressive presses -- with big-ticket price tags.

I have both an Ultra Mag and a Forster Co-Ax for .338 Lapua Magnum, the biggest cartridge I load. The Ultra Mag takes a 1.5-12 thread Warner custom magnum die and is pretty much set up exclusively for sizing 338LM.

If you're going to load for longer cartridges then one of the two Prazi presses might be your better investment -- but my guess is you could get an Ultra Mag, Forster, and Warner AND Forster dies for the cost of a Prazi.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jasent
    I use a Foster Coax for every thing up to 33xc and the Ammo Master 2 for 375 on up I do use the Ammo Master when I had to use the Larry Willis coulet die on my 300 Win brass to size just above the belt.

Both the Prazi Talon and Turban are impressive presses -- with big-ticket price tags.

In the context of the OP, it's hard to worry too much about the cost. The calibers mentioned were 338 LM, 300 PRC, .338 LM Imp and 37XC. If you plan to shoot just one of those enough to be adept, and are handloading, you're gonna throw down a grand or two per year on brass, powder and bullets, (and maybe a barrel) so a grand for a press is not excessive. Will it get you more first shot hits? I'm not convinced, but I keep working to buy the best tools I can afford. I like the way quality tools feel. I get inner peace by building stuff like great ammo, great guns and making steel a long way off ring. If I ever can't afford it, I'll find cheaper ways to get the buzz. That said, my most expensive press is currently a Co-Ax and a Dillon 750 is next in the queue. An Area 419 or PraziPress will have to sit in fantasy land for now. Another great scope purchase is blocking the path for now.

Reactions: Pahighlander
    I wore out my BigBoss2 for the most part. I didn't like how dirty the ram got. Primers got stuck bridging in the ram and they would bounce out of the tray often. I discovered that the crinkle finish was wearing unevenly where the large die adapter seats against the top of the press indicating the ram wasn't plumb to the die.

I'm kind of a cheap ass personally. I tried to get away with buying a RCBS Summit next, the 1st gen, and that thing was a POS because the screws kept loosening even with loctite. I snapped and said to myself, I'm not putting up with this anymore, so I ordered the Prazipress which is definitely the best money I've spent as far as reloading precision ammo goes. I needed the larger threads for my Warner die is half the reason I bought the Turban. EVERYTHING about the Prazipress is incredible, it's a work of ART! Sometimes I walk over to it when I'm in the shop doing something else besides reloading and cycle it a few times just to experience how smooth it is, lol, YEP, it's ALL THAT!
    My only regret is I didn't buy the next size up!

This was my go to press for all the big stuff. Corbin CSP-2 MEGA MITE.. A Beast....Everything else is done on a Redding Ultra Mag or Forster Coax.
    corbin csp-2 mega mite press.jpg

Last edited:
    Dillon BFR. Plenty of room for growth. Takes the larger size dies as well as Dillon trimmer. Use Whidden for custom stuff (stay away from CH4D, yeah, they were okay until they weren't, then goddamn they made me regret it).

I could go on and on but BFR is solid and it's also a time saver even if you're not loading in bulk. Dillon CS and warranty is bar none too. I try to wear their stuff out but they keep sending parts...

Considering doing Lapua mag on it. Surely it's more stable than the 650 even if it'll handle it and at what point do you step up to the larger dies anyway? .338LM? .375CT? BFR was intended to load CT originally but I guess they didn't get enough requests to make the parts. That's where Whidden comes in, awesome custom die shop.

I'm surprised that the BFR would be able to create ammo accurate enough for these purposes. Though I guess it might be like a super-sized version of the 550 with a frozen tool head and floating dies... assuming you can actually float the dies on that beast?

I'd love to buy a turban. But my rock chucker supreme I bought back in high school is working just fine, even for the 375ct.
    Deano

Reactions: jasent
    I have a MEC Metallic press that I have used to reload 338 Lapua and it worked fine. On the mid side of cost, you could look at the RCBS Summit or the Harrell sportsman press.

The hornady 50 bmg press does a good job and is fairly cheap. There are a lot of more expensive presses out there that aren't any better. With the larger cases we use, an under powered press will lead to inconsistencies. If you are even asking yourself if you need to go to a larger press then the answer is yes.

-Alex

I'm surprised that the BFR would be able to create ammo accurate enough for these purposes. Though I guess it might be like a super-sized version of the 550 with a frozen tool head and floating dies... assuming you can actually float the dies on that beast?

It uses a large solid flat base and a rotating shell plate. If you're doing more than one operation and including sizing, you wanna use (again) a good lube so it doesn't create a lot of friction and thus torque on one side vs. the other. Use Imperial Wax or the strong spray lanolin like I used to make before covid.

Uh, no floating dies stock but Whidden can make 'em custom I'm sure. You'd probably have to use the 1.25" dies vs. the 1.5" I imagine if you used an insert but if you sent in the toolhead to Whidden I'm sure they could modify that too. Whidden is my goto for custom stuff, talk to the die manager to order.

The trimmer alone makes it worth it, especially if you work and modify brass. Again, Whidden for custom trim dies.

Sky is the limit and Dillon's CS was top notch when I wore mine out, sent me every small part in the system ASAP.

i got the Lee Classic Cast press suitable up to 50 bmg

designed to work with large series 1 1/4-12 dies. Includes breech lock quick change adapter and breech lock bushing to accept standard 7/8-14 dies.

I run the 140mm prazi. I could not be happier. Load all my 300. Lass and through my 375 stuff on it. Its awesome.

Does the 140mm come with thread adaptors, or did you buy them separate? Broken English on the description page doesn't make this clear.

Sorry about the typos. Yes It came with the adaptors.

Not your fault, was referencing their official website translating from German to English. Since they come with it that saves a ton of money. I noticed separate adaptors added shipping cost of 125 euros on top of the 125 for the press itself! But if they come with it, that saves hundreds of dollars.

Reactions: LongRangeActual
    Not your fault, was referencing their official website translating from German to English. Since they come with it that saves a ton of money. I noticed separate adaptors added shipping cost of 125 euros on top of the 125 for the press itself! But if they come with it, that saves hundreds of dollars.
    Mine most certainly did.

Reactions: KZP

I have both an Ultra Mag and a Forster Co-Ax for .338 Lapua Magnum, the biggest cartridge I load. The Ultra Mag takes a 1.5-12 thread Warner custom magnum die and is pretty much set up exclusively for sizing 338LM.

If you're going to load for longer cartridges then one of the two Prazi presses might be your better investment -- but my guess is you could get an Ultra Mag, Forster, and Warner AND Forster dies for the cost of a Prazi.
    338 LM die we make is 1.25-12

• Love
    Reactions: sinister