• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can we please stop calling them "sticks"?

garandman

Bad Advice for Free
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Huntington WV
"Hey everybuddy, I gut me a nu stick!!!"

Unless you are going hiking, I'm inclined to take your new "stick" away from you, and beat you with it.

They are called "rifles." Employing ghetto slang does not enhance your credibility as a shooter. (e.g. bullets are NOT "pills" either, ya friggen drug addict)

Words mean things. Use them correctly.

That is all.

Out.

PS..... Oh, yeah..... 99.42% of you have never ever bought anything that is "tactical." Stop asking about tactical products.

Last edited:
I thought they were "precision shooting systems" you Sir, are behind the times.

You obviously do not "run your rig-stick to .000222332222 moa at 1000Y all day by doing your part"

Now if you excuse me, I have to go to Cheaper than dirt and order the new Barska super duper tacticool scope, because my buddy said it was as clear as his S&B. Its a 6x24x54 with mil reticule.

Its gonna replace my Millet on my Savage Axis.

Last edited:
Put the clip in your stick foo.
Bust a cap in tha mofos ass at point blank range. Put a pill in his ass.

Last edited:
I used to hate stuff like that.

But then I realized that it is the beauty of the English language. It is free and open to modification and re-purposing. As long as you understand what is meant by the word, it is being used correctly.

It is annoying more often then not, but it is how a language evolves. For instance, think about your use of the word "out".

Unless you are going hiking, I'm inclined to take your new "stick" away from you, and beat you with it.

They are called "rifles." Employing ghetto slang does not enhance your credibility as a shooter. (e.g. bullets are NOT "pills" either, ya friggen drug addict)

That is all.

Out.

PS..... Oh, yeah..... 99.42% of you have never ever bought anything that is "tactical." Stop asking about tactical products.

But is it ok if I still tell someone that they seem to "have a major stick up their @$$" or are "being a stick in the mud" or other such uses of the word "stick?"

What if someone is "being a real pill" or otherwise needs to "take a pill?" ;)

All word/grammar/spelling/puntuation-nazis, please relax!!! If the worst thing to happen to you today (or any day for that matter) is that your delicate sensibilities are somehow offended by someone calling their "rifle" a "stick" or their bullets "pills"...I think you are probably going to live, and frankly, live quite well!! ;)

That is all.

Out.

no

You probably hate it when we call them "guns" instead of "rifles" too.
...when we call telescopic gun sights, binocular telescopes, and Mark 4 Tactical Spotting Scope "glass".
...when we "push" our "lead".
...when we call our High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles "trucks"
...when we call our load bearing ballistic plate carriers "rigs" and "kits".
...when we call our Oakley SI Ballistic M Frame 2.0 "shades" and "Oaks"

s8tUu83.jpg

Could we borrow from the guitar players and call them 'axes' instead of sticks?

I think the phrase originated when some guy bought a new rifle and did not tell the wife first. So she beat the hell out of him with it. Then later talking to his friends he did not want to admit his wife beat him to hell with his new rifle. So he just told them he was in the brush and got hit with a stick.

As the Army says about your rifle & penis. "This is your rifle, this is your gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun":rolleyes:

I hate hearing rifles referred to as "my Colt or my Wilson. Instead of "my Garand," it should be "my M1."

Damn, and I liked stick and pills both. Boolits ok? Admit being a backwoods, redneck hick re-homed to Alaska, but never accused of being ghetto.

So much so synonyms--we could cut the English language down by 7/8's if you apply this measure, I mean principle, I mean--fuck it--we could cut out a lot of words and make our language more plain and understandable for all. I see the kool-aid, just not sure I want a sip.

That is all.

Out.

I hate hearing rifles referred to as "my Colt or my Wilson. Instead of "my Garand," it should be "my M1."

Wait a minute, didn't Teddy Roosevelt, who was an avid hunter, say, "Walk softly and Carry a BIG Stick"?
Sound advice for hunters.

Did anyone else hear the click when the OP stepped on it?

Yes I deffly heard a click. As a matter of fact I was already diving for the nearest hole when i read the header.

But it looks like after all was said and done (at least I hope its done), the OP took the ribbing which was well deserved and acknowledged the humor from the best of the batch.

We all open mouth insert foot on a regular basis. It is what we do and how we react after the fact that defines our character.

This was fun we all need to get together and ridicule others regularly. I'm open next Thur. at 9:45 does that work for everyone else?

So let me get this straight.

You sit in the AMEN section when the Reverend is preaching on the Second Amendment, but you move to a back pew and commence to heckling whenever his subject shifts to the First.

Zat about it?

It all started with Sitting Bull when he learned about the "long knives" and their "smoke poles"

It's what us suthunuhs refer to as a muzzel loader. A real old term down heah, or, that's th' rumah anyway.

I'm getting my stick, putting on my drop-leg, and heading to the range. I will shoot my Glorious Moisin with the bayonet fixed. I will call wind and corrections for my friend shooting his M-1a from the 50 yard line(I saw a guy doing this last time at the range), I could fucking see the holes, even with my old eyes.

I will wear my 5.11 tactical pants, at all times. Esp. when I have my stick out.

I carry 3 knives, at all times.

Clip. Clip. Clip.

Boolits v. cartridges, you decide.

I've got to watch Mannix, he just shot a guy off of a water tower with a 2" Chief's Special. From 200 yards. In the dark. Dude had a scoped, bolt stick, and still won second place.

I've always been kind of fond of the term "tacticool". :D

As far as gun terms I hate being used and will earn a kick to the nuts from me if said in my presence is when a suppressor is referred to as a "can". I swear that brings my piss to a boil anytime I hear/read that!

I don't call it a stick... I don't call bullets, pills... But don't ever threaten anyone with beating someone with their own rifle. And saying that they have never bought anything really tactical? What then, sir, is defined as tactical to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, by referring to it as "my m1", you are leaving it open... "M1 garand? Or m1 carbine?"

Never bothered me what others call things, different groups of folks even in the same field or talking about the same thing may call it by various names. If I don't know what they are talking about, I'll either ask or keep quiet until I figure it out or decide I don't want to know. Show me proficiency in whatever you do and I don't care what terminology you use discussing it, I'll either learn it or just let it slide on by and accept it.

Topstrap

That is a very interesting link.
My Uncle used to go around and find good trees to build gun stocks from. I used to go along and help him cut them down and dig up stumps.
It was usually a deal where the home owner wanted the tree out of their yard and paid him to do it. He made good bucks doing it but it was a part time thing for him. He was very selective as to what tree he would ask for and the work was long, hard, and tedious.
It has been many years long gone but IIRC he sold lots of them to Fagen and a few other companies.
He always had some nice "sticks" to make stocks for our rifles. Many years gone by, RIP Uncle Frank. Regards, FM

What then, sir, is defined as tactical to you?

Its basically war gear. A tool purchased to conduct war - an offensive campaign. Could also include police / SWAT (This rules out self defense.) Very few here have gone to war. Very few of that very few have made the purchasing decisions for implements of war / offensive campaigns.

As such, asking "What's a good tactical _____________ to buy ?" is hogwash. Yer not tactical. Nothing you do is tactical. Nothing you purchase is tactical. (the very few of the very few, excepted)

To me, when I read "I want a tactical __________", I think "Newb / X-box gamer / pimple nosed teenybopper / stalker."

That is your opinion, and you have a right to that. In my opinion, tactical does not mean war gear. Tactical can mean something other than war. Concealing a weapon is considered a "tactical advantage" to carrying openly, due to its element if surprise. A tactic is more of a skill, a style. The army really isn't tactical for the most part, except for house clearing. Special units can be considered tactical, as they use a different tactic... This is just my opinion.

And as to your question "can we please stop saying stick..."

I have no reason to refer to a rifle as a stick. But no, people will not stop

The army really isn't tactical for the most part, except for house clearing. Special units can be considered tactical, as they use a different tactic... This is just my opinion.

Flanking is a tactic. Full frontal assault is a tactic. Shock and awe is a tactic. Divide and conquer is a tactic.

Concealed carry vs. open carry is a fashion statement. :)

Last edited:
How in the HOLY HELL do people actually manage to engage in these silly-ass debates re: semantics, slang words, grammar, punctuation, etc. I mean REALLY?!?! Now you are actually engaged in a debate over what is/isn't "tactical!"

Its not a wonder the world (particularly this great nation) is in the shape its in with people wasting copious amounts of time online on some of the most meaningless, inconsequential bullshit!!!

Step away from your keyboards and go the @#$% outside and SHOOT!!! PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF THE ALMIGHTY!!!!! ;)

I wish every one would stop calling vehicles "CARS" ! its so stupid I just cant figure out what people are talking about sometimes when they use the term car

I also cant stand when people call shit "poop" Adam Sandler thinks its ridicules to...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Fk6M1gqV-0A?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its basically war gear. A tool purchased to conduct war - an offensive campaign.

I just told the old lady her frying pan is now classed tactical.

Last edited: