• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you guys like living "out west"?

Iamero

Barksa #1 Fanboy & Professional Paper Puncher
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Michigan
    Been really considering moving lately. I'm in west Michigan currently and love it hear, but I wouldn't mind moving somewhere while my wife and I don't have kids. My aunt and uncle live in Bozeman, MT and I thought about moving out to Montana, or Wyoming, or somewhere away from people for a little bit, haha.

So just looking king to see from you guys that live in mid US and northern US, how do you like it? Worth living or more of a vacation there for a week or two.

Except for the people and the political, California was great...

I live in Cali, but love Oregon and Washington. Also love Idaho, but prefer to be near the ocean. Lived in British Columbia for a couple of months, really liked that and the small town feeling up there. Montana is good, but I prefer the steeper mountains of Idaho. Live in Colorado for three months, really like it there as well.

IT'S A REAL PAIN. Cold in the winter, wet in the spring hot in the summer, and full of idiots during tourist season.

My wife and I are both active duty military and will retire in the next two years.

Idaho...

Born and raised and will return. It's less of a secret now, Boise is growing quickly, but we're looking forward to the transition.

I moved from the Midwest to Phoenix two months ago and love it, I'm on the northern edge of the city and only have to put up with the city if I have to drive to the VA hospital. I'm 5 minutes from Ben Avery range (Google it) and my neighborhood is on the very edge of the desert, it's not uncommon to hear coyotes in my neighborhood at night and find wild donkey turds on the sidewalk. I don't think there is a more gun friendly state and there is a lot of BLM land that I can shoot as far as I want to.

Hate it. Noting to do out here. IMHO you couldn't do wrong in a lot of places. But Oregon n Washington are pretty nice if you're into hunting and fishing. Just say'n. ;)

qvlAevb.jpg

r92HHCy.jpg

Leso3wi.jpg

Htvxpe0.jpg

OYozvrp.jpg

obovWpL.jpg

IzIYJJA.jpg

Bnkrdq5.jpg

The first 3 or so shots were like 2 hrs ago. Oregon or Washington. It's got everything that keeps me happy. ;)

IT'S A REAL PAIN. Cold in the winter, wet in the spring hot in the summer, and full of idiots during tourist season.

You must live in Seattle.

I love WA, in the last 20 years this place has changed into basically another country. Other states got gun bans and mag bans, we legalized SBR's and cans. No SBS or full auto but DD's are also good to go.

The weather... It took me about a decade to get used to the latitude and the winters here. Suicide is apparently a big thing when the sky is gray for months on end. But I spent my first year here out sleeping in the woods in the rain and snow so I guess I crash coursed it. Great wide open no far away too. That big volcano in the back yard is pretty unique too.

Colorado, I'm guessing? Because hot damn, can't go any freaking where anymore!

If you are in CO and want a partner in crime to launch some pdogs, send me message.

Like Dirty D, I moved to PHX 4 years ago from OR. Love it here. I'm out on the NW edge by the desert. Ben Avery is nice, but access to BLM land is plenty for shooting once you find the spots. Summer gets BLM shut down for shooting due to fire season, but then there is Avery. I prefer the politics of AZ, but can see it slowly changing to a purple state due to the high number of transplants from the NE and California. Out west is what I prefer. Wherever you land there are enough small towns to get away from people if you desire.

Been really considering moving lately. I'm in west Michigan currently and love it hear, but I wouldn't mind moving somewhere while my wife and I don't have kids. My aunt and uncle live in Bozeman, MT and I thought about moving out to Montana, or Wyoming, or somewhere away from people for a little bit, haha.

So just looking king to see from you guys that live in mid US and northern US, how do you like it? Worth living or more of a vacation there for a week or two.

It depends upon how much idiocy and congestion you're willing to put up with, really. 1J04's "West" is acceptable. California, and whatever portions of the surrounding states that it's managed to taint, are not.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/1eLdVCn.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The liberal mindset out there encourages people to feel like victims. It's a method of control. Unfortunately, this sprawl of idiocy isn't limited to California.

Been in AZ from NY since June 2016. Kind of a crapshoot.

If you live in the cities (my experience encompasses Tucson and Phoenix), you will have all the modern conveniences, but will also have city problems/issues, and the politics are not conservative. I spend a large part of my life in or commuting to Tucson for medical, a 160mi round trip at least twice a week, three times this week. That's because I live well outside the city.

Here in the SE Cochise County high desert, groceries are about 3/4hr away, The closest decent range is an hour away, and tends to get a lot of wind after 11:30 AM. Everything is a longer trip than that I was used to back East.

I went shooting at the Douglas Rifle and Pistol club range yesterday, 50 miles South, on the Border. It's a very decent facility, and club membership allows 24/7 access to a pistol range, 300meter rifle range with an assortment of tables, a a desk and four concrete benches, and a facility that can handle clay birds with prior notice. The winds are not as kind, and go over 10MPH before Noon. Since temps are only now beginning to peak below 100 degrees, morning shooting is by far the better choice. They run several events monthly spanning a variety of disciplines.

If I had it to do over, I might have looked more closely at the areas around Phoenix, but the real estate is pricier.

Greg

Yea I wasn't thinking quite all the way to the west coast but somewhere in Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, or maybe Wyoming. I feel like it sounds good but would also get stir crazy.

West Michigan is an awesome place to live. People that live 2 hours north of Grand Rapids and in the upper peninsula say drinking and snowmobiling are about the only things to do all winter, so I don't want that haha. If they think they're stir crazy, I can only imagine some places in the Great Plains.

No experience with the States you're considering, but lived in AK for a while. If you're looking for a change of pace and want to get away from people then it's got plenty of that. If you and your wife aren't tied geographically to a job then there are few downsides. The Kenai peninsula is beautiful and even if you're way off the beaten track you're typically only a few hours from a city or town that will have what you need. Biggest pain there is when the very few roads are clogged with RVs / tourists/ combat fishermen.

She's a nurse so other than renewing her license in the state of choice, she's got jobs waiting for her wherever we go.

Im not quite as fortunate but do have a bachelors in business marketing and finance so I'm sure I could find something to do.

CO is crowded unless you look for the right places. PM me if you want ideas.
    I love it here, lots to do, so much going on. The politics suck and that is the truth in a lot of our beautiful states. .
    I am here for a while as I am splitting custody with my ex so I just make the best of it and enjoy life. Bitching gets me nowhere except unhappy.
    The medical profession is booming here, some good travel jobs to give CO a try first depending on her specialty.

Lots of nice places in the west but Montana? Horrible place. Overrun with Grizzled bears, mountain lions, wolves, tourists, liberals, Govt. parasites, free loaders, and greenies. The tax structure sucks, there are few signs of civilization other than the occasional city. The summers are short but smokier than L.A. Work paying a living wage is just a memory. The wolves have eaten most of the elk. The fish have departed for cooler waters. Oh yeah there is fresh snow on the mountains that will likely be here soon and stay until May.
    I would leave but I'm to poor to get out.
    On top of all that our Governor is a gun hating obama liberal.

Last edited:
    Lol so every state seems to suck when it comes to politics. Surprisingly even with Detroit Michigan has been politically lax about rules and allowed suppressors and SBRs thanks to our governor. Once the next election comes around it might be a different story, but I have a few years of bliss left.

Yea I wasn't thinking quite all the way to the west coast but somewhere in Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, or maybe Wyoming. I feel like it sounds good but would also get stir crazy.

West Michigan is an awesome place to live. People that live 2 hours north of Grand Rapids and in the upper peninsula say drinking and snowmobiling are about the only things to do all winter, so I don't want that haha. If they think they're stir crazy, I can only imagine some places in the Great Plains.

My grandmother lived in eastern Montana in a little town called Poplar. Going there as a kid cured me of ever wanting to go any further east in Montana than the eastern slope of the Rockies, specifically no further east than East Glacier.

Threadcutter, you missed some pretty good country, limiting yerself to the wet side of Mt. Lewistown area for one, Missouri river breaks, Ft Peck,a few other choice but little known areas. Maybe not mountain scenery but beautiful with better hunting and fishing and a little better class of people.

Threadcutter, you missed some pretty good country, limiting yerself to the wet side of Mt. Lewistown area for one, Missouri river breaks, Ft Peck,a few other choice but little known areas. Maybe not mountain scenery but beautiful with better hunting and fishing and a little better class of people.

Good point, have never been there. Apologize, no slight intended. I do remember riding the train from Wolf Point (it didn't stop in Poplar) westbound. I think it was 8 hours of flat nothing just to get to Cut Bank.....

Give N. Dakota a thought. West of the Missouri River is pretty much the West if you think cattle, cowboys and wide open spaces is the West. Bismarck, the state capital, is a growing, thriving town, lots of employment options and a 1,000 yard range. Go west for mulies, east for whitetails, N.E. for elk and moose, S.W. for yotes and P. dogs. Really, yotes everywhere. About as red as a state can get with enough Libertarian thrown in to make it interesting and private. Did I mention Constitutional Carry and legal cans? Right to Work? Decent tax rates?

Yes, the winters are a bitch. So are hurricanes, large cities with high crime rates, traffic, deep blue legislatures, etc. Like we say, there's no bad weather, only bad clothing.

Most of the liberals are massed on the eastern border.

Don't come to Colorado. It is over run with people and has way overgrown it's infra stucture, not to mention shitty politics.
    The whole state is run by the Front Range and ski areas. Fuck all the rural areas, what few remain. Way too many people out here.
    Fuck John Denver and his Rocky Mountain High. Dopers everywhere and lots of "homeless" trash. FM

We've chit-chatted once before. Like you, I'm a native of Michigan. I'm living in SW Texas again & life is good. The last time I visited Michigan was 3.5 years ago. I lived a little ways outside of Detroit. As I was driving through the "Dirty D" I told my wife to text a very good friend & co-worker who is from the same locale originally. The text read "Just made it through Detroit on I-94. We didn't hear a single gunshot." His immediate response was "Buy a lottery ticket. NOW!" Not long after I arrived in my hometown I was ready to leave. The crime & violence is no place for kids to grow up. Just because my wife & I grew up in that area doesn't mean our kids should.

Now, I live in SW Texas. Life is better than good. We have very little crime to speak of here. The food is incredible on the border. I can walk into Laredo Taco Company, which is gas station type food, & watch the food service people grill my freshly hand rolled tortilla. We have many traditional Mexican restaurants as well as anything else you can think of to eat. There are many things to do in town as well. We have a mall, a movie theater, a rodeo arena & the list goes on. You can drive to see one of several attractions such as the natural caves in Sonora, TX. Bigger cities such as San Antonio are only 2.5 hours away. We also have no state taxes. The weather here is great. At 0200, it is currently 81* F. In SW TX we don't deal w/ tornadoes,hurricanes, etc. We also have rec sports like a very competitive softball league that runs 8 - 9 mos per year. Kids travel baseball lasts almost the whole year. There is assloads of game to hunt here. We also have a few gun ranges. The longest so far is 500 M. TX is a "can" friendly state.

I hope a lot of our newcomers move to Texas.
    Colorado needs to hang No Vacancy signs at every point that people pass coming here.
    Our politicians have been pushing for growth for years with no thought in mind as to where to put all of these people or where to get the water to support them, hence, we have big problems supporting what we have now.
    Need we get into overcrowding our highways?
    Not a good place to be. FM

Last edited:
    I'd love to head toward Billings/Bozeman/Missoula/Kalispell.

The area south of Reno/Carson City is gorgeous too, I can see the draw to the high desert...but California...

My neighbors tend to be snow/sun-birds. Only two of us on our block live year round.

Of us, only our home has air conditioning as opposed to evaporative cooling (swamp cooler). The latter may be cheaper to set up, but it also requires an annual setup involving replacing evaporation pads, descaling the recirculation circuit, etc. and it also falls flat on its face when the humidity rises along with the what. I remember something like it from back in 'Nam, and I don't miss it one bit.

The temps here in the high desert will get up to touch an occasional 110 for at least a month each Summer. Down lower in Tucson, it gets to the high one-teens (it was 107 past Monday), and may last longer; and In Phoenix the altitude is below 1500 and temps top 120 occasionally. My life, so far, has managed to avoid A/C failures. Good thing.

Such temperatures are bearable for an hour or two in the shade, until the Monsoon arrives. Then the humidity soars, and so does the discomfort. Using me as an indicator, I'm sensitive to sustained heat; but I'm not complaining. Yet.

Today's high was about 85 here in Sulfur Springs Valley (Sunsites-Pearce, our home). Bearable. Love the High Desert.

When I came here, I figured, heck all that wide open desert, shooting should be Snap. Not so. Most of the land is agricultural; crops and/or cattle. I figure, people gotta eat, so I'll look for something a bit more formal. The closest formal place is Douglas Municipal Shooting Park. It's an old retired Army Reserve Camp, and has a fairly well maintained set of ranges, all originally USGI qualification/training ranges, with the rifle range going out to 300 meters. Meters on the left, yards ion the right, steel at 50, 150, 300. To the right is the pistol range, to the left tis the ICE/CBP range. I'll take it, and we went Thursday, it;s a drive of 50 miles pretty exactly.

The wind picks up in the afternoon, and the yard sign stands/backers I use were starting to dance around 11:30 AM. Still 9-11:30 ain't a bad session, and I found an issue with a scope mount. One out of five rifles that had been rescoped; the other four ringing steel at 300. I need to replace the rings with something a bit sturdier, and I have the rings at home. I tried to eke by with UTG's but I'm going to replace them with the Vortex six-screw rings sitting in the scope bits drawer.

So my concerns have been addressed, and so I say come on down to the Border and try Cochise County, AZ.

Aside from that, in the past week, The only gas station in town with the only ATM is closing in two weeks, the Cable TV company is withdrawing TV service in November, and our parish priest was transferred to Douglas as of Monday, we found out last Sunday.

We're Arizonans, and all this, too, will pass. Hardy bunch, us.

Greg

Last edited:
    Yea I was looking just west of Bozeman toward the Missouri River. Seems like some smaller ranch homes with 10-20 acres within my budget but I also had my aunt post of Facebook today that it was 80 on Thursday and snowing several inches last night. Ughhh, haha. But I don't mind cold, never really been a problem. Its not -30 here, but in Wisconsin when I was living there I would wake up in -15 many mornings so I'm not afraid of that.

I hope a lot of our newcomers move to Texas.
    Colorado needs to hang No Vacancy signs at every point that people pass coming here.
    Our politicians have been pushing for growth for years with no thought in mind as to where to put all of these people or where to get the water to support them, hence, we have big problems supporting what we have now.
    Need we get into overcrowding our highways?
    Not a good place to be. FM

^^This.

I think that CSP should pull over every other vehicle from out of state for some absolutely ridiculous reason, the same way it is when CO plates drive in other states. You know, for safety reasons...

Moved to southern NM in '75 and fell in love with the area. Live in a rural area and only 30 minutes from a major city. Great areas to hunt although all the TV shows telling how great the hunting is has screwed it up and made it harder to draw tags even for residents. Very little crime and great weather. Albuquerque has a serious crime problem and not getting any better. Santa Fe is a beautiful city but full of liberals. SW Colorado is one of my favorite places to go but with the legalization of MJ the area has become trashy and lots of liberal assholes and homeless having moved in. Foul Mike is right about the Front Range.

daughter & bf moved to Bend Or. say it spectacular... looked this up on net... Looks like they be friendly all right!

Gun laws in Oregon
    Subject/LawLong gunsHandguns
    State permit to purchase?NoNo
    Firearm registration?No*No*
    Assault weapon law?NoNo
    Owner license required?NoNo
    Carry permits issued?YesYes
    Open carry?YesYes

What are the asterisks for pertaining to registration?

Also, didn't Oregon just sign a confiscation bill? Doesn't sound too friendly to me...

Oregon seems like one of those states that is going to start going blue with their gun laws in the nearer future since they are stacked right on top of California. I get that vibe a little bit from my friends that live there.

Looking into Montana right now since I have family there already. Just trying to figure out what to do for a career out there comparable in income to what I am making right now.

Those confiscation bills are BS in my opinion. I see their intent, but I think it can easily be abused. California and Washington state both have similar bills already in place.

Texas is great, but no public lands. If you are 100% service connected, you pay no property tax.
    Oklahoma has the same deal, however they sweeten the pot by also giving you a card, that lets you exempt from all sales taxes, as well. Makes a difference.
    Looking at Lake Eufalla area, for a property, but most are in a small HOA, that have too many restrictions.
    Texas in the hill country is nice. Pretty good medical services, the VA is in San Antonio, so it's only 50-60 miles, there is a huge range nearby, and most of the retirees are veterans of some sort. Buy small house in town, and a large empty lot for hunting in an undeveloped area.

Utah is closed. Sorry.

I spent most of last winter working cell sites all over Utah. It's absolutely beautiful country, but it just plain sucks out there. Strange folk, retarded liquor laws, small town Utah= meth-heads and LDS.

Couple years I'm going to retire to Colorado, get out of the cold weather. I really like the lake city area in Colorado.

I don't wish to hijack this thread but just out of interest, where in America does it not snow? I'm guessing the southern states like Texas and Florida? Excuse my ignorance, I'm Australian and have spent my whole 40yrs in hot dry areas (which is most of the continent). I've never actually seen snow and don't know if I would handle the cold but from what I can gather, the most attractive country is often the coldest?

Most of southern United States gets very little or no snow. Every once in a while Texas and Florida will get some freak snow.

Go go down by the gulf coast near the ocean and you'll pretty much never see it. Otherwise west coast like California. Can't speak for the people in Arizona, but I imagine southern Arizona doesn't see much of anything.

I don't wish to hijack this thread but just out of interest, where in America does it not snow? I'm guessing the southern states like Texas and Florida? Excuse my ignorance, I'm Australian and have spent my whole 40yrs in hot dry areas (which is most of the continent). I've never actually seen snow and don't know if I would handle the cold but from what I can gather, the most attractive country is often the coldest?

Interesting question. I feel I can speak to this having spent 60+ years in N. Dakota.

Cold and snow have both good points and disadvantages. We always used to say "Cold keeps the riff-raff out"; then there was a oil boom out in the western half and crime went up, human trafficking became an epidemic, drugs, hookers, etc. To be fair, the most of the problems were from out of staters, yet it was still N.D. turf.

"Nothing is more beautiful than fresh fallen snow" Very true, until you have shovel/blow 3-5 feet of the stuff just to get the vehicle out of the driveway.

"The air is so cold it takes your breath away". Very, very true, and it will kill the unprepared in minutes. I've seen -36 F. static air temp and -80 windchill. A deep cold is nothing to trifle with.

"Looks like we're in for a 3 day blow". That's Nodak speak for a ass kicking blizzard that takes out power poles, closes roads, in-mobilizes vast areas of country, visibility zero. 3 days of wind and snow, 2-5 days clearing things out. It's a lot better than it was 40 years ago with better equipment and weather forecasting, yet lots of snow is still..lots of snow.

I could pro/con snow and wind for hours. In fact, it's a common topic of conversation. And bitch about it? Hell, we whine and bitch about it 6 months out of the year.

And the vast majority of Nodaks, born or moved in, will tell you there's no better place to live. Put me and mine in that camp.

Moved from northern MI to Wyoming 11 years ago and never looked back! Love it out here, I get to do things on the daily that I've dreamed about my whole life.

Moved from northern MI to Wyoming 11 years ago and never looked back! Love it out here, I get to do things on the daily that I've dreamed about my whole life.

Very much the same story, except mid Michigan and 8 years. High country mule deer, bugling elk, trout in the rivers, one of my weekends is exactly the type of stuff people plan on doing and save up for their whole life.

Yea that's what I want. Just need to find a job out there and convince my wife.