• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Input pls - Runners using a gps watch

Surffshr

Beach Bum
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
SoTX
I'm currently training up for my first half marathon in october with at least a 25k desert trail race to follow that in january. I'm also using a coaching app on the phone (mi coach) that I've found very helpful in prepping for 10k distance races by giving me a variety of runs and zones for trainng instead of simply going running...back in the late 80's just running was how I learned to condition...very happy with how this new fangled stuff works, and if probably be happy to continue to use my current program to train.

All that said, I'm tired of toting my phone around and soaking it with sweat on a daily basis. Being a watch guy with a birthday coming up, I've started looking at watches for running. Christ almighty there seem to be a lot of choices! Serums how this website always gives me great info I figured I'd ask for input from folks already using these. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Re: Input pls - Runners using a gps watch

Take a look at http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ he has reviewed most of the popular watches on the market with a couple accuracy test done on the watches. I almost pulled the trigger on a watch but couldn't justify it as long as I could use mapmyrun for all of my training runs. Got a friend that runs with the garmin 610 and he really likes it. If I didn't get started in long range shooting I would probably pull the trigger on the 610. It would have really made life simpler when I was having to do my long tempo runs last year.

I have the Garmine 405. Only complaint is battery life. Fully charged it seems to last 2.5 hours. Probably of for running but I use it for cycling and it has gone dead before I got home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plt228</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ </div></div>

Wow! Great link. If I can't figure it out from there, then somethings wrong.

I've been using a Timex Global Trainer for the last year with great results. It has enough battery life to get you thru an entire Ironman.

I use a Garmin 305 and love it. Battery life has not been an issue at all for me. I picked mine up at Walmart.com for about $150 which was a pretty good price at the time. Get one - you won't regret it.

Garmin Forerunner 305 here...it replaced a Forerunner 50 with footpod that I used for a couple years. First 305 I got bricked within a week of me getting it, Garmin replaced it quickly under warranty and the second one has been flawless.

It was a big help during my marathon training last year, and they aren't terribly expensive through Amazon. Never had an issue with sweat or light rain, and battery life is at least 5 hours of running (probably more, 5 is the longest I've used/left it on at a given time).

My wife and I are using Garmin 310XTs. A full year in Iraq and another two back in the CONUS on may races and countless training days. Sometimes slow to detect sats (don't know how this compares to others) and battery life could be better (certainly gets you through a full marathon plus some) but it's been beat up and sweat on more than any other kit I have. The link above shows a nice Garmin and I'm glad the prices are coming down.

I like the 310XT...had one for about 3 yrs now, and no complaints. A little bulky, but no problem with sweat/rain making it go crazy, battery good for a few workouts, maintains good sat coverage, (occasionally a minute or two fro first fix) and have a sensor on my bike and shoe--all the gadgets you can want. Most importantly, it seems to pretty spot on for cadence, heart rate, speed and distance.

I also like some fo the aftermarket tracking software. Next GPS will probably be watch style, but will probably miss the big data screen.

ZY

Update: I ended up getting a timex run trainer with heart rate monitor mainly because the same price point garmins didn't fit my wrist well. They were too small. Same problem with nike+ gps. I'm very happy with the performance pdf the timex and I'd suspect that most ofthese watches do well too. I know the timex has a starfire IV chip vs some others with a III chip. Idk what that means but the timex picks up satellites quickly. It definitely doesn't drop off like my phone would. I appreciate the above comments.

I switched from iPod/Nike+ to a Garmin Forerunner 410 a little while ago and I'm really happy so far. Much better data and easier to use during the run. My only minor gripe is that I'm now carrying a separate/smaller iPod, so I have two things to grab.