• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Interesting problem with Surgeon 591/R action. Pics included, would like feedback.

mattmcg

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2007
CA
I am having an interesting problem with a Surgeon 591/R action that I purchased a couple of years back. In the action area where the bolt rides the action to disengage from battery, the steel seems to have a soft spot in it that has created a divot. The divot has been growing over time and is now causing the action to slightly hang up at that point when the bolt is racked.

I have attached a picture of the area for you to see. Wondering what would have caused this? Have others experienced the same issue? Is this a defect? Is this repairable?

Appreciate your thoughts in advance. The rifle needs a rebarreling so looking to take care of this while it's taken apart.

Attachments

• Surgeon Action Divot.jpg
    Surgeon Action Divot.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 39
I've seen several Surgeons do that. Seems the camming surfaces for primary extraction ought to have more surface area than they do.

There have been a number of threads about this, usually dissociating into "fuck you Surgeons are awwwwsum!!!".

I suspect any good gunsmith will be able to fix that, perhaps by filing/milling off the raised metal. If not, they'll have to add a few dabs of filler metal with the TIG, followed by a bit of milling. At the same time, having the cam surface on the bolt modified to match the cam surface on the rear bridge will prevent it from occurring again.

Flame on!

It can indeed be repaired. Like Hodgdon said, a bit of milling and hardening will fix that right up. Have you tried contacting Surgeon? I don't have any experience with them, but you never know what they would have to say about it.

I suspect any good gunsmith will be able to fix that, perhaps by filing/milling off the raised metal. If not, they'll have to add a few dabs of filler metal with the TIG, followed by a bit of milling. At the same time, having the cam surface on the bolt modified to match the cam surface on the rear bridge will prevent it from occurring again.

Exactly! The corner of the handle that contacts the receiver is relatively sharp. The trick is doing it without losing caming ability. Another option would be to drill and install a hardened pin like Stolle does to their alloy actions.

I am having an interesting problem with a Surgeon 591/R action that I purchased a couple of years back. In the action area where the bolt rides the action to disengage from battery, the steel seems to have a soft spot in it that has created a divot. The divot has been growing over time and is now causing the action to slightly hang up at that point when the bolt is racked.

I have attached a picture of the area for you to see. Wondering what would have caused this? Have others experienced the same issue? Is this a defect? Is this repairable?

Appreciate your thoughts in advance. The rifle needs a rebarreling so looking to take care of this while it's taken apart.

Just out of curiosity, did you keep that area well lubed?

Just out of curiosity, did you keep that area well lubed?

Yes, rifle was cleaned after every firing and Weaponshield applied to that specific area each time. This is definitely not a problem of too little lube.

I have a 591 action, and notice that if I keep the bolt lifted ALL the way up, the bolt will not slide rearward. There is no divot there, but it does seem the bolt can be rotated too far to keep it from being pulled back. If you just cycle the bolt and DON'T hold it all the way up, does it still hang?

My action is essentially new with perhaps 200 cyclings and 67 rounds fired.

After reaching out to Surgeon, they have offered to ship it back to them at their expense to inspect and evaluate the action. Not sure what they will be doing but looks like they are willing to look into it. A good sign.

How many rounds do you have on this acton I am asking because I have a 591 with 1200 and I don't have the damage shown in the pic's

Mine has a ding that keeps growing over time. I posted a pic of it a while back. Edited to show the old pic below. It is from pushing the bolt forward when cycled. It needs to be welded and remachined. The bolt is really hard and the action body softer, I've heard to to prevent galling. The contact point on the bolt really needs to be larger. This pic is 1000 rounds ago, the ding is quite a bit larger now and the material is pushing up and down into the bolt raceway. I get a pronounced click (it's a feature not a problem!) when opening the action. Getting quite annoying, yeah it is a problem.

My next build is on a defiance, much larger contact surfaces between the extraction cam and bolt. Getting the reamer next.

Last edited:
The only people that should be messing with the camming surfaces on a custom action is the manufacturer. Good thing you called Surgeon. Let them deal with it.

Here it is today, with about 2000 ±50 rounds and some more dry firing. I found my previous post, the first picture is with 50 rounds downrange and about 500 dry fire cycles. I'm not gonna apologize for it being dirty, it nearly always looks like that.

My Surgeon1086 action is starting to show wear like some others have posted - I'm gonna keep running it though - shoots too good to fuck with!!

Rifle has around 3000 rounds down her for those that were asking. Been an absolute laser and taken a few wins at our local matches and in the PRS.

I also noticed the camming surfaces are somewhat different on my latest 591R that I received about 6 months ago. Looks like the engagement area is much more robust. I'll try to get a pic posted in the evening.