• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Internet rumor? Gun owner tagging

Surffshr

Beach Bum
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
SoTX
Anyone else see this? From one of those folks that forwards all amounts of BS, but it caught my eye. Dated january of this year in other parts of the email referencing Bexar county and Georgetown pd.

"While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the Sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Texas. Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check you car, truck or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange looking symbols that are not normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act."

Re: Internet rumor? Gun owner tagging

This story reminds me of another story I heard about people coming up with strange, and deadly car alarm systems

Long story short the thief was killed when he entered the car carrying a shotgun, and then the car alarm activated the airbag system that it was hooked up to. The airbag hit the shotgun, and the gun shot him.

I'm just wondering why something like that couldn't be done with the airbags.

But anyhow the easy fix for this, is that you can just go to Wal-Mart, buy some cheap snap-on hubcaps, put them on before you go to the gunstore, and then take them off after if you see something on there.

I don't know if it's true, but it is another reason to be alert all the time and aware of your surroundings.

BTW- rubbing alcohol will take off most permanent markers if they used that on your car/wheel.

The other side of me says it's a good opportunity to use the car as bait for an ambush...
armes38.gif

My tires aren't very good, normally something like "no hunting" or "no trespassing" painted on the tires.

People look at the truck and feel sorry for me.

Air bags will not go off by themselves. It is VERY difficult to set them off. Every connector that is connected to an actual air bag has shorting bars in them to keep them from even going off due to static electricity. It takes a huge amount of things to happen all at once for them to go off. There are some cases where they have gone off (for no reason) such as mid 90's there were some GM vehicles that the air bags would go off as soon as you cranked the ignition and some went off while just driving. It was that the air bag module was located under the seat and the manufacturer of the module forgot to encase the electronics in a waterproof seal. Water from detailing or soda, or whatever got into them and shorted out causing the condensers to fire the bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snopes.com/crime/intent/gunshop.asp </div></div>

It may be false but it's a good idea from a criminal stand-point. </div></div>

They don't need to chalk your tires. They just sit in the corner of parking lots near gunstores and ranges and tail you home. These guys were a real PITA around here: http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2...a1812231657.txt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snopes.com/crime/intent/gunshop.asp </div></div>

It may be false but it's a good idea from a criminal stand-point. </div></div>

They don't need to chalk your tires. They just sit in the corner of parking lots near gunstores and ranges and tail you home. These guys were a real PITA around here: http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2...a1812231657.txt </div></div>

Yikes, I'm going to start keeping a better eye out after the rare gun store outing...

Criminals really don't want to bother with people they know to be armed. Especially in states where it is easy to legally carry open or concealed.

Easy enough to buy guns off the street w/o having to jack Johnny-NRA for one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if it's true, but it is another reason to be alert all the time and aware of your surroundings.

BTW- rubbing alcohol will take off most permanent markers if they used that on your car/wheel.

<span style="color: #FF0000">The other side of me says it's a good opportunity to use the car as bait for an ambush...</span>
armes38.gif
</div></div>

I was thinking the same. A new meaning to predator hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Air bags will not go off by themselves. It is VERY difficult to set them off. Every connector that is connected to an actual air bag has shorting bars in them to keep them from even going off due to static electricity. It takes a huge amount of things to happen all at once for them to go off. There are some cases where they have gone off (for no reason) such as mid 90's there were some GM vehicles that the air bags would go off as soon as you cranked the ignition and some went off while just driving. It was that the air bag module was located under the seat and the manufacturer of the module forgot to encase the electronics in a waterproof seal. Water from detailing or soda, or whatever got into them and shorted out causing the condensers to fire the bag. </div></div>

LOL. The story came from South Africa(or so it said). Don't ask me if it's possible, or not. I'm just pointing out the craziness, and out of box thinking on that.

Also same article had a collection of these types of stories, and the next one was about a guy who used an actual Cobra, the snake itself, as a car alarm.

Go figure. LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This story reminds me of another story I heard about people coming up with strange, and deadly car alarm systems

Long story short the thief was killed when he entered the car carrying a shotgun, and then the car alarm activated the airbag system that it was hooked up to. The airbag hit the shotgun, and the gun shot him.

I'm just wondering why something like that couldn't be done with the airbags.

But anyhow the easy fix for this, is that you can just go to Wal-Mart, buy some cheap snap-on hubcaps, put them on before you go to the gunstore, and then take them off after if you see something on there.

</div></div>

Do that and you'll be the one going away for a very long time for murder or attempted murder. I can't remember the case, but it's 100% against the law car or home.

I live in san ant.
Never heard of this...
I WILL SAY: if you have NRA stickers ect. this will target you. Simple solution: buy a cable/lock box to lock under your seat.