• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Largest 243 Win bullet thru a POF semi auto?

knowolive2000

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2010
Missouri
Anyone have experience with 105 gr A-max bullets (or larger)through a POF semi auto? I'm looking to buy my first semi auto. 308s have too much kick to shoot all day. 223's are too light for my taste. I was thinking about POFs piston driven gun in 243 Win. Will long bullets >100gr reliably feed? Do they fit into the mags?

Thanks.

KO

Re: Largest 243 Win bullet thru a POF semi auto?

Knowolive,

Two questions:

1. Do you reload?
2. What is the twist rate on the POF?

The answer to the second question determines whether or not you can shoot the 105AMAX outta your semi.

I'm surprised at your contention that a 308 through a semi-auto is "too much recoil to shoot all day". Have you actually shot a 308 through an AR type weapon? With a brake?

The reason i'm asking is that my light weight 308AR (8.5lbs) is softer shooting than my 9.5lb .243 bolt rifle.

That said, i love the 243. The reason i haven't built an AR in .243 is because of the short barrel life of the .243.

Also, if you are going to put this build together yourself, I highly recommend that you buy a Lilja .243 barrel. Lilja uses an 8 twist IIRC, and it can stabilize all but the 115gr DTACs. lastly, 243s need long barrels 24"+ to realize their full potential (assuming you will be shooting 1,000yards+ with it).

Best of Luck

Depending on your application, the 105s will work very well. The 6CM is designed specifically as an AR round and using the 105 Amax. The problem you're going to have is you're not going to get the velocity with a short barrel 243 to really take advantage of the high BC 105 Amax. I would chamber it in 6CM with about a 22-24" barrel and go.

Do yourself a favor and chamber it in 6mm creedmore. It will save u lots of trouble. I studied on everything from 6xc to 6-250 and in the end I called gap and got a 6cm. I got lading data advice that was spot on. If you like to shoot what you buy and want a turn key system it is worth it. Believe me. I'm as cheap as they come but it was worth it. I justed loaded it up plugged in the velocity @ 1000 and worked backwards from there.