• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold/opinions/quality/price/customer service?

Hykin_C

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I have been reading alot of posts around here lately and sniper central about how people aren't really fond of leupold right now. I am just wondering why? Is it because of customer service, quality, price? I dunno..let me here your two cents.

Hykin,C

Re: Leupold/opinions/quality/price/customer service?

IMO . . . overpriced for an Asian-made optic, and no viable tactical scopes with a FFP reticle and 0.1 milliradian adjustments.

How much does the SS cost?

This thread is about Leupold anyway. And don't be sorry, it's called <span style="font-style: italic">my opinion</span> for a reason.

If you read the old posts it should be pretty clear what the complaints on them are. Some people like them but I think the general consensus is that they are overpriced, with mediocre quality control and optics. They have very poor acceptable tolerances from the reticule being aligned (+/- 3 degrees). Many have found the clicks vary in their actual amount of movement towards the end of the adjustment range. They currently don't offer matching reticule and turrets in a reasonable click value (though they should have some new models out soon that do). They have fast turn around and great warranty service, but you're likely need it.

I know lowlight has said in the past they have a very high failure rate of them in courses compared to other scopes such as NF.

FWIW I have owned in excess of 15 Leupold optics on everything from subguns to .50bmg's and the only failure I've ever had is an eyepiece rubber cover come off one of my binoculars.

Re: Leupold/opinions/quality/price/customer servic

IMHOP, they have lived off there name for the last 5 to 7 years. The have not really brung anything new to the market. But the real down turn to me was the shear lack if listening to customers (Ffp, matching knobs and reticle, and different reticles). This opened the door for nf and us optics to swoop in ang get a big foot hold.

It's classic big business, look at chevy, when you decide as a business what your customers want and turn your nose up when they request something, the customers go away. It took the many years to grow to the best American optic company, and a few to destroy it.

Speaking with a couple people that work there, they are really looking at a new direction and sitting on there hands producing the rifelman seris for walmart.

Customer service is still first rate!

I will be intrested in what they show at shot this year. It will take them many years to build the confidence back into the product and I wish them the best! More competition is better for all of us.

Re: Leupold/opinions/quality/price/customer servic

The ones I have work fine for me. Never had a prob with the Mark 4s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry. Where is the SS made? </div></div>

gary-coleman.jpg

How'd we get thrown in this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry. Where is the SS made? </div></div>

gary-coleman.jpg

How'd we get thrown in this?</div></div>

Easy, you're scopes are better than any current model from Leupold and in some cases they are about half the price, so you have something to envy from people who invested in Leupold... not to mention some people just don't get the difference between certain countries, so attempting to lump them all together is a way to soften the blow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry. Where is the SS made? </div></div>

gary-coleman.jpg

How'd we get thrown in this?</div></div>

Easy, you're scopes are better than any current model from Leupold and in some cases they are about half the price, so you have something to envy from people who invested in Leupold... not to mention some people just don't get the difference between certain countries, so attempting to lump them all together is a way to soften the blow. </div></div>

I have to agree ... I got a 10x42 HD of the samplelist ... lovin that scope

I have used Leupolds for years and like them. Granted, I do not run them as hard as Lowlight, Jacob and other professionals, but they have worked for me.

Next month, though, I am going to try a Nightforce.

david