• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Long range spotting

Pittbull46

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
PA
What spotting scope will show me a 1/4 in.hole at 1000yds and see hits at 1 mile and not to expensive thinking about a telescope any help thanks

Re: Long range spotting

Thinking maybe the Hubble? I haven't seen anything in a price range I could afford be able to do that yet and I'm using a Kowa. We can see hits on fresh painted steel at those distances and most time a miss if it causes a splash or movement of something but quite a few just disappear into the grass or dirt at those distances.

When you say "Not too expensive" that means different things to different folks. If you want to see things far away it gets pretty expensive real fast to add more distance especially when you're getting out past 1000 yards.

Topstrap

trollface.png

What you are asking for is way out of a 'not to expensive' price range even if it is available to be had. For spotting you are going to want something that you will be able to make an educated correction based on the splash from the hit (if there is one). You do not need to see the exact hole 1/4 hole the bullet went through, you just need to have some one spot you a correct so that you can get on target.

Once you do and you're done shooting a group(s) go down range and assess the target yourself.

Long range video camera system will do it. As far as optics, it will be expensive to say the least.

Thanks for the input. What kind of camera are you talking g about?