• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking at AR10 again and need advice.

adluginb

#1 dad
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Oklahoma
Well with my other hobby of buying motorcycles I can't afford one of the big name .308 autos.

What I have narrowed it down is the : Dpms MK12 18" retail $1750, vs Sig 716 16" retail $1699, vs. RRA DPMS sass 18" retail $2179. Any others comparable with these models? Also I am leaning towards an 18" barrel. My main use is punching paper and will also deer hunt with the gun sometimes.

There is a nice LWRC repr for sale in classified for $2600 but again it has the 16" tube but it's still a good deal.

Hiders please stead me I tot he right direction. Yes I know the higher end model will be slightly better but having just bought to new cycles wife would kill me dropping the coin on the high end models..

Thanks and any advice appreciated no matter how critical.

If you want quality but cant make a big purchase I would look into building one. It is fun as hell and a lot easier to hide smaller purchases. Trust me. Lots of experience in that department.

If you want quality but cant make a big purchase I would look into building one. It is fun as hell and a lot easier to hide smaller purchases. Trust me. Lots of experience in that department.

I've thought about this route as I have built many ar15's. My problem is I buy and shoot so many guns I get bored easily and it's hard to recoup your money out of a "frankin". Also I'm back in the same boat as I don't know what the higher quality parts are that I would need to perform up to my level of expectations.

Thanks

I don't know enough about the Sig to establish any attributes to it. But we've got three DPMS rifles here at home, two in 308 (16" and 20") and one in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor is awesome, and part of that is the single stage JP trigger that mine has. The stock DPMS triggers are fine. They operate, but they can certainly be one of the first things to improve. Looks like the Dpms MK12 and the SASS come with the JP trigger. So...the SASS is nearly 3lbs heavier, but it does have the heavier barrel and the PRS stock. The PRS and the shelf grip would be nice if you're gonna punch paper and use a rear bag. Seems like it is more of a rifle that is ready to have an optic placed on it with the simple Magpul back up sights. The lighter Mk12 might be nice for the weight loss and the adjustable stock depending upon weather and the amount of clothing you're wearing. I've used some of the Midwest Industry sights. I liked them, but I have since moved to KAC BUS on my 308 16" carbine.

What would I have done differently? I would really like a heavy 18" barrel on my carbine. I'm using a UBR stock on that, and I like it for that rifle. I have adjustable gas blocks on the 16" carbine and my 6.5 Creedmoor...which is my long range rifle. After that, things get kind of subjective...and then we're turning "franken"... :D

Now, what bikes did you get?

I have the SIG 716 and the DPMS SASS and the SASS is the most accurate. Great for the bench but a beast to lug around. The 716 is almost as accurate and much lighter in weight. So if bench rest shooting is your thing the SASS is my choice. If you intend to carry one around the SIG 716 is my choice. So it all depends on how you will use it. I've never had a problem with either one.

Someone posted they bought an LMT MWS brand new for $2300 plus some change just recently. Thats not too far off from your budget might have to make a set of brake pads or tires last a month longer than you would have wanted.

Edit - From Page 72 of the LMT MWS thread

"Gunbroker NIB $2380 shipped.

Wasn't really looking to buy one right now but I couldn't pass it up at that price."

Last edited:
You are considering several very different rifles according to your post above.

Let's try this:

1) What features/attributes do you think you want/need? (i.e. - you said paper punching and occasional deer hunting, so I'd not go any longer than an 18" barrel if I were you as you'll be hauling around a heavy rifle once fully equipped. Also, let your max intended range with the rifle and they most likely ammo you'll be using help dictate the best/optimum barrel length for you. You'd be surprised what a 16" barrel can achieve in the right hands with the right ammo, but again...it all depends on you and your wants/needs.

2) what is your max budget for JUST the rifle itself (or if you want to do it the hard way, what is your budget for an entire rig, including optics/mount/rings/mags/bipod/etc.)? The reasons I ask is that you are looking at MSRP and perhaps aside from the REPR, none of those rifles you have listed will come in close to their MSRP. One of the best bangs in the business right now is the DPMS SASS which can be had for ~$1700 (or nearly $400 off MSRP). It is sub-MOA capable with good ammo and a competent shooter, comes equipped from the factory with a decent enough 18" SS barrel, a JP single-stage match trigger, Magpul PRS stock, FF railed handguard, target grip, etc., etc. Now...that's an excellent target rifle, but at nearly 12lbs without optics, bipod, ammo, etc., it can be a bear for hauling around the woods hunting depending on what kind of deer hunting you'll be doing. Just some food for thought.

I'm leaning towards the sass or mk12. Just really think I want an 18" barrel. Thanks for info!

Cycles I have now are yamaha road star, Suzuki rmz450 dirt bike. Motoguzzi r7 cafe. Looking at another cafe racer currently or an older bmw:)

Where can I find a dpms sass for $1700?? Also palmetto has the sigs on special for $1699 currently.

You cannot go wrong with a repr. I built 3 ar-15's, bought a ar10-a4 and then I picked up my repr. I don't see myself offloading it any time soon.
IMG_57452895002700-1_zps72152831.jpg

IMG1098_zpsa9a4d95f.jpg

Its accurate reliable and comfortable to shoot.

Can't go wrong with the POF. It's a tack driver and 100% reliable. Love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. With Leopold Mark4, rings and UBR mine weighs 10.6#

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Where can I find a dpms sass for $1700?? Also palmetto has the sigs on special for $1699 currently.

I said ~$1700, but they are all over GunBroker for that range. Here's just a few listed below. Now obviously you'll have to factor in S&H and your local dealer's transfer fees (usually not more than $25), but you should still be in and done for not more than around $1750-1775 at most.

1) BIN of $1700 + $30 S&H and no 3% CC fee: DPMS Panther 7.62 SASS Rifle NIB No CC Fees : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

2) BIN of $1729 with free S&H and no 3% CC fees: DPMS LR-308 SASS 18" Barrel 308/7.62 NIB Free Ship : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com and here DPMS LR-308 SASS 18" Barrel 308/7.62 NIB Free Ship : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com (I've done business with NA before and they are 110% GTG!)

3) BIN of $1739 with no CC fees and $30 S&H with a Harris bipod and adapter to attach to the railed handguard: DPMS LRT-SASS 308 Win 7.62x51 Harris Bipod NIB! : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

4) BIN of $1750, but could probably be had for at least a little less based on the starting price: DPMS LRT-SASS : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

Aside from GunBroker which is a great source now that the buying craze/stupidity has calmed down...there are plenty of available SASS rifles floating around out there for reasonable prices in/about that range.

OK I have found a nib POF for $2050 that has the 16" barrel. Anyone think I can go wrong with this?

OK I have found a nib POF for $2050 that has the 16" barrel. Anyone think I can go wrong with this?
Sounds like a good deal!

But, just like when I buy bikes, cars, and other stuff... I just assume that I'll be wrong. I try to be less wronger if possible. :D

Post pics if you make the deal!

Last edited:

Absolutely NOT!! Terrific rifle and that is as good a price as you'll find on a new one these days (best I have seen in recent months has been ~$2300). My oldest P-308 is quite a few years old now and I paid more than that all those years ago so I'd say you've got a winner at that price point.

POF! I have 2 POF's, one in .223 and the other in 7.62 and i must say, they have never let me down! With the holiday sales going on right now im sure you can find your .308 within your price range! A few minor upgrades in the future and youll have yourself a top notch rifle!!

Shit for that price I would have bought 2. Paid $2800 for my 14.5" P308 NP3 back in March.

Buy it and don't look back!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Stock photo but this is it, new in box have it tomorrow!

Now I need scope advice. I'm thinking something in the 2-10ish range? Nightforce isn't out of the question but not dropping S&B coin.

Also where is best place to get extra mags and best price? I assume just get pmags?

Thanks for recommendations!

Last edited:
Stock photo but this is it, new in box have it tomorrow!

Now I need scope advice. I'm thinking something in the 2-10ish range? Nightforce isn't out of the question but not dropping S&B coin.

Also where is best place to get extra mags and best price? I assume just get pmags?

Thanks for recommendations!

Depends on what you want to do. If you're hunting, those NXS 2.5-10 x 32 or even x 42 are great scopes, super clear, nice field of view and lightweight. Vortex has a comparable 2.5-10 x 32 with FFP/ZeroStop etc for about 2/3 of the NXS price.

For paper punching, something in the higher magnification would be more appropriate. I have a Vortex HS 6-24x50 that was worth every penny of its $800 price tag, but I'm already looking for an NXS 5.5-20 to upgrade to.

A little of both. I have a bushnell dmr just sitting in its box but I'm thinking that's too much for when I do hunt with it. Also not a real big fan of ffp scopes for deer hunting.

[MENTION=33837]adluginb[/MENTION] - Congrats on the POF - great guns. Give the NF 2.5-10's a hard look. I have an LMT MWS w/ a mil/mil 2.5-10x32 - awesome combo. I'm looking to sell it and will make you a good deal. I hunt with my MWS and I'm trading in the 32mm obj for a 42mm obj model.

Never mind - just saw your post. Stick with the Bushy!

Depends on what you want to do. If you're hunting, those NXS 2.5-10 x 32 or even x 42 are great scopes, super clear, nice field of view and lightweight. Vortex has a comparable 2.5-10 x 32 with FFP/ZeroStop etc for about 2/3 of the NXS price.

For paper punching, something in the higher magnification would be more appropriate. I have a Vortex HS 6-24x50 that was worth every penny of its $800 price tag, but I'm already looking for an NXS 5.5-20 to upgrade to.

I am a fan of both nightforce and vortex. I have both and I like them a lot.

A little of both. I have a bushnell dmr just sitting in its box but I'm thinking that's too much for when I do hunt with it. Also not a real big fan of ffp scopes for deer hunting.

The nice thing with FFP scopes is that if you have a ranging reticle (Mil dot, NP-1, MOAR, etc) then you don't have to be at full power to use it. So when I'm sitting in my stand watching my food plot on 2.5 power I have full ranging abilities without moving my arms to use turrets or to zoom in.

I have a 2.5-10 x 32 with the Velocity 600 on my MK12 that works great for that specific gun with my specific load. Doing it over, I would have gotten a MOAR reticle and scribbled my drops on the scope cap.

I prefer the lower power scopes for hunting mainly for the increased field of view and low light qualities, and I can hit paper targets out to 300 yds with a 10x optic. Hitting paper super precise, that requires 24x however....

I would bet money that this $1415 dollar .308 would out shoot all of the above.... about the only downfall is the magazines... any .308 with a 3-15plus scope is going to be a heavy bitch. A 3-15 or 4-16 would be perfect for this set up IMO.... about the only time I would use this rifle for hunting, and lets be honest here as ANY .308 AR scoped is going to be a pig, would be hunting from a stand.... you're not going to be walking much with any AR .308 that is scoped... this would be an awesome bench / target .308 AR for the money... can easy put on a nice 6-9 notched leg harris bipod, and the good ol standard A2 buttstock is wonderful with a rear sand bag:

same place I got my LMT from & are good to go for purchase ($1415 is a smoking hot deal with free shipping if you want a bull barrel model = great for groups / target practice / bench shooting / long distance target): Rock River LAR-8 Varmint 308 20" BBL

more based around target / bench / prone varmint: Rock River Arms: LAR-8 Varmint A4

if you want to shave off some weight for more of a hunting rig: Rock River Arms: LAR-8 Predator HP

Well with my other hobby of buying motorcycles I can't afford one of the big name .308 autos.

What I have narrowed it down is the : Dpms MK12 18" retail $1750, vs Sig 716 16" retail $1699, vs. RRA DPMS sass 18" retail $2179. Any others comparable with these models? Also I am leaning towards an 18" barrel. My main use is punching paper and will also deer hunt with the gun sometimes.

There is a nice LWRC repr for sale in classified for $2600 but again it has the 16" tube but it's still a good deal.

Hiders please stead me I tot he right direction. Yes I know the higher end model will be slightly better but having just bought to new cycles wife would kill me dropping the coin on the high end models..

Thanks and any advice appreciated no matter how critical.

Last edited: