• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a new duck gun

What auto for ducks?

• Total voters

FWoo45

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2020
NorKal
On the hunt for a new duck gun. I think that I’ve got it narrowed down to a Browning A5, a Benelli super Vinci or SBE3. Been shooting a Nova since their release but have grown tired of it and I don’t shoot it as much, or as well, as I used to. My problem is that I grew up on pumps and doubles. I’m actually slower with an auto because I often try to pump it. My HD gun is an 870, this means if I make the switch, I’ll have to buy an M4 as well. And practice a lot. That cuts into my 1911 and SxS budget. I’d be game for a double gun for ducks but I haven’t found anything suitable. I’m pretty confident that if I make the switch, the three options I mentioned at the beginning are where I would go. Thoughts?

I’ve used a Stoeger M3500 for what feels like a decade. Only has issues with light target load cycling. Super reliable, and at a price that doesn’t make me feel bad if it get wet, muddy, and frozen. I have buddies who hunt with the other three as well as the Berettas and they are all happy.

Benelli SBE.

I went with a 24 inch so it is a little easier to manage in the blind.

I also welded up the lifter so I dont tear out a thumbnail if I get in a hurry.

Reactions: FWoo45
Hands down my favorite duck gun is the Browning Cynergy Wicked Wings. Sold my Benelli SBE2, SBE3, Beretta Extreme Plus.

Reactions: 308pirate
I would find a 3” gun, no need for 3-1/2 for ducks and geese. My all time favorite waterfowl gun is a Beretta AL390, it just runs in all conditions. If I were you I’d go pick up and shoulder every gun you can get your hands on and the gun will pick you.

I went to the local pushers this morning but they didn’t have anything I wanted to look at. There was a 20 ga a400, looks like a nice gun but it didn’t feel as natural as the A5 I fondled a while back.

I would find a 3” gun, no need for 3-1/2 for ducks and geese. My all time favorite waterfowl gun is a Beretta AL390, it just runs in all conditions. If I were you I’d go pick up and shoulder every gun you can get your hands on and the gun will pick you.
I'd agree. I had a SBE2 in SoCal for duck hunting and it was amazing. Once I got to Idaho, with the frigid cold, I had a new type of malfunction I was chasing down every year. I had double feeds and stovepipes mostly, regardless of the many different ways I experimented with cleaning or aftermarket springs.
I sold it after seeing how well gas guns did up here. I got a SX3 3", which has been 100% flawless on ducks and geese. I'd get a M2 3" if I ever got another benelli. You really don't need the 3.5"

I only care about 3.5” shells because I have so many. I don’t usually shoot em but with ammo cost and availability these days, especially in kali, I’d like to be able to use em. I guess I could probably trade em to someone locally if I tried.

I went from 1187 to 1187 super mag to winchester super x2, benelli SBE II to benelli SBE one to Stoeger 3500.

Youth 870 was my first first, she went away near immediately though.

I run a citori 20 gauge now, had it dipped immediately and it still looks as new, I don't need to take care of it, which is what I wanted because I hate having a tool I need to baby, it doesn't rust, just works.

Don't regret leaving semi-autos for a moment, kind of wish I had found a good side by side instead though.

My benelli SBE II was junk, the SBE one was my fathers, he's actually got it back now, the gun hated to be cleaned, would run in freezing muddy messy conditions, would run 3 1/2" to light target loads, just don't take it apart and clean it, spray some remoil on it, run a bore snake through it, done. Unreal reliable in nasty abusive conditions

My Stoeger 3500 did extremely well as well, believe my buddy still has that one.

Anyways, the dipped over under works excellent and the dipping made her weatherproof, unless it's rusting underneath and I just don't know it, but I severely doubt that. And I hunt water, don't shy away from letting parts of my guns sit in water depending upon the hide situation.

Bought a 458 lott this past year, she got a synthetic stock and cerakoted, I'm a function over fashion guy, same thing, she can get wet and I don't have to worry about rubbing her down with oil within 5 minutes or be doomed to see rust.

Reactions: Allan havlik
Without knowing how many shells you have, the amount you’ll save on the gun alone, will likely make up for any losses you’ll take by trading them out for 3”. You’ll probably end up with more shells too. And after the issues I had, I wouldn’t be buying a 3.5” gun just because I already had ammo for it. A good shotgun lasts longer than shells.

Reactions: camocorvette
I use 3 inch for duck. Only time i use 3.5 inch is for late season goose. Nothing swats them Honkers like Black Cloud BBB.....;)

Reactions: 308pirate
I shoot a 20ga SxS for upland birds and clays, that’s the gun I really love but prefer a 12 for waterfowl. I haven’t found a 12ga SxS with double triggers, as god intended, that I’d shoot steel through. Or get wet. I’m going to list my 3.5” shells for trade and see what I can get for em. I won’t give dicks any $ but I guess I can go look at their guns. That’s the only place I didn’t go this morning and it looks like they have some guns to look at. Thanks for all the replies.

Reactions: trob
Lot of good NON steel nontoxic shot out there. I use Boss in my sub 12ga guns on ducks. Find another SxS, have it Cerakoted and stock dipped.

There is something classic about a double for waterfowl with Kent Bismuth shot if you can find it.
My Win M21 Duck is gone but I of retain a Browning Superposed Magnum.
For Hevi-Shot I went to a pair of Rem 332's.
NOTHING beats HeviShot on geese.
But both developed trigger problems over the years.
My faithful waterfowl guns for the non=Toxic era are a pair of Rem 870's.
Reliable, easy to maintain.
The 332's are in the attic somewhere.
-Richard

Loved the original Hevi-Shot till it gouged my barrels in my first Browning Cynergy lol. The new TSS is doing good.

OK.... A few questions:

Are you shooting over decoys, jump shooting, pass shooting, wood ducks in a flooded swamp.... ????????? Help me out...

My "Go To" duck gun is an old Browning A5, 3" Magnum outfitted with a newer (Japanese) barrel that handles steel shot.

The old A5's can be found in pawn shop, at the right price. Take that savings and put it towards a couple of more barrels. A5 barrels are around at reasonable prices. You can go with a screw in choke for the conditions......

But, again, as I have asked in many of my replies....... A lot depends on how good of a "hunter" you are. I killed my first duck with a 410 at 6 years old. Game Warden checked us at the boat landing..... Dad was limited out and I had my one duck... Typical, he wanted to give some shit and say it looked like Dad had killed that duck.... At 6 years old, I stood my ground...... LOL.... Not much has changed.

Most of my hunting is on public land over decoys. Some pass shooting. My concern about steel shot stems from stocking up before they cut us off on internet ammo here in kali. Cutting out 3.5” shells opens up a couple of CZ SxS offerings. My biggest takeaway should have been obvious, trade out of the 3.5” shells and don’t look back. Thanks.

Reactions: RPN
Rob Roberts is building more 20 ga duck guns than any other ga now. Nontoxic shot has came along ways since steel. 3.5 is only needed for the largest shot in my opinion.

I bought an sx3 about 6 years ago and have had no regrets. Used it guiding spring snows for a couple years in there. Have never had an issue shooting everything from cheap bulk pack lead at doves to that $35 a box nitro steel and everything in between.

Only issue Ive ever had was I cleaned it really good the night before a dove hunt and it didn't like to cycle the cheap bulk lead shot till about the 4th shot and then I guess it was dirty enough to cycle right.

Proce is right too.

Reactions: trob
I can't comment on the shotguns you listed as I've never owned/shot them but I bought a Beretta 391 Xtrema when they came out. Ate everything from light 2-3/4 target to 3-1/2 turkey loads without a failure in all kinds of weather, dirt, mud, etc. Passed it to my son and bought the A400 Xtreme. Same performance over the past five years with it.

Franchi Affinity Elite 3 or 3.5

It’s a SBE 3 for $6-$700 less.

only difference is in location of the inertia system and no cheek foam on stock.

All the Beretta-owned shotgun companies make damn good guns. (A400, Benelli SBE, Franchi Elites)

A098C7D0-0A66-4EAD-ACD3-81BF76FF6850.jpeg

Reactions: BCX and FWoo45
Thanks to you all for your help. I’m going to go fondle a few guns tomorrow after work but am leaning towards a CZ bobwhite. I doubt that I’ll be able to get my hands on one but I’m going to try. I have heard nothing but good things about the Franchi offerings and they would probably be the only other brand that I’m considering.

I've got a Win Super X3 and absolutely love it in the duck boat/rain/wet conditions. If I were shopping for a new duck gun I would look at another.

CZBobwhite, 7.3# 20 gauge.
Heavy for a 20 buts that what you want for 3" shells/
HeviShot #6 is very effective on both ducks and Canadas. I use an RBL 20 for jump shooting ducks and a pair of Canadas came along at 40 yes and I said, oh hell, I'll try and to my surprise down went one goose dead in the air.
My son used a Rem 870 20 for geese for years when young with Steel Shot for 35 yd shots.
Jump shooting is a total different shooting than Pass or decoy shooting.

I bought an sx3 about 6 years ago and have had no regrets. Used it guiding spring snows for a couple years in there. Have never had an issue shooting everything from cheap bulk pack lead at doves to that $35 a box nitro steel and everything in between.

Only issue Ive ever had was I cleaned it really good the night before a dove hunt and it didn't like to cycle the cheap bulk lead shot till about the 4th shot and then I guess it was dirty enough to cycle right.

Proce is right too.
SX3's are the shit, I have 2. Much better than the SX4... but now they cost a lot more used than we paid new. Browning Gold's are pretty much the same gun, but they also cost 60% more than they did 2 yrs ago.

A gas gun is going to shoot softer and be more reliable than an inertia driven gun.

Hard to go wrong with a Beretta. If you can find one, the A350 is a solid gun for under $1k. So is an older Browning Silver Hunter 3.5. Older SX2/3 guns are solid as are the Browning Golds. Hard to go wrong with a 390 or 391 as well.

Almost every semi shotgun made today is not half the quality of shotguns from 10-25 years ago. Too much plastic and cheapening to meet price points with rising labor costs. A used 15 year old $800 shotgun is better quality than a new $2K+ one today.

Magazine tube extension. They are great guns. Until you want to shoot $50 worth if shells into one flock of snow geese.

Reactions: Smokin7s
I’ve never killed less ducks or geese on a trip because I took an twice pipe and not an auto loader. Always makes me slow down and be wiser about the shots I’m taking.

A twice pipe is usually more expensive and looks fancier. A lot less maintenance and things to go wrong in the field. It’s like buying a Corvette and driving it slow… they’re made to be used so folks ought to quit trying to keep them pretty and earn some scars. That’s what a real heirloom is.

If you must buy an auto loader, Benelli is pretty solid. And no, that’s not a Franchi endorsement by default.

I’ve never killed less ducks or geese on a trip because I took an twice pipe and not an auto loader. Always makes me slow down and be wiser about the shots I’m taking.

A twice pipe is usually more expensive and looks fancier. A lot less maintenance and things to go wrong in the field. It’s like buying a Corvette and driving it slow… they’re made to be used so folks ought to quit trying to keep them pretty and earn some scars. That’s what a real heirloom is.

If you must buy an auto loader, Benelli is pretty solid. And no, that’s not a Franchi endorsement by default.
I always thought benellis felt like a floppy piece of plastic.

I'll endorse the Franchi because I own one and have used it extensively.
Really just think it's provides a great value/price ratio for the price conscious.

But you can't go wrong with the good gassers and high dollar inertia guns.

I spent several years in central Ok goose hunting the peanut fields. It was a very harsh environment, and I saw a lot of different guns come through. The best track record for reliability by a LONG shot were the Benelli SBE’s. With Beretta Extremas being a close second. I personally choose Beretta simply because I like the recoil impulse better, and they are more elegant guns.

Wasn’t a lot of twice pipes, because of the only real limitation that they have… which is loading it in a layout blind with the doors closed.

I grew up in the waterfowl hunting capital of the world. Went to school with world champ duck callers and the Waterfowl festival was something we took off school for a week to go to every year. Everything from cheap remingtons and mossbergs to Purdeys and H&H guns.

There is nothing an inertia gun brings to the table over a quality gas gun other than it can go longer between cleaning cycles, with the newer guns be easier and quicker to clean at the cost of cheaper materials and less fitting.

Softer shooting, more reliable, not as picky with different ammo and generally cheaper. You also don't have that weird delayed recoil impulse. Spend a day shooting a few flats of shells with a SBE and then with a Beretta/Browning Gas gun and let me know how you feel about them. The older SBE is a fine gun and works for most people, but there are better options.

We hunt the northeast w temps down below 0 at times. O/U, pumps have been the most reliable. Benelli SBE2 has ran well in those temps. I have seen more than a few gassers go down.

FYI we don't hunt from heated blinds....

Reactions: JAS-SH and FWoo45
Ah yeah….I’m pretty sure “ punt gun” is what I typed.

And the hand paddled one man boats were indeed sneak boats.

The there were the sink boxes and the iron “ decoys they used to ballast them with.

Tons of history on the bay.

I’m in Maryland and hunt the eastern shore.

We’re you a MD boy?

Haha in kali, one of those duck cannons would mean jail time. My only use for this would be waterfowl. Only heathens shoot upland birds with single barreled shotguns.

Ah yeah….I’m pretty sure “ punt gun” is what I typed.

And the hand paddled one man boats were indeed sneak boats.

The there were the sink boxes and the iron “ decoys they used to ballast them with.

Tons of history on the bay.

I’m in Maryland and hunt the eastern shore.

We’re you a MD boy?
Sorry i didn't even see your text until after I hit send.

Grew up on ES My parents still live outside of Centreville.

I figured when i said waterfowl capital of the world, someone would pick that up :).

I will be back there in about a week for the holidays. Going to shoot a few rounds of SC at Pintail and Schraders.

Reactions: Baron23
Sorry i didn't even see your text until after I hit send.

Grew up on ES My parents still live outside of Centreville.

I figured when i said waterfowl capital of the world, someone would pick that up :).

I will be back there in about a week for the holidays. Going to shoot a few rounds of SC at Pintail and Schraders.
Just saw Kenny Schrader going into Fisherman’s Inn as we were leaving on Sunday.

But when you said waterfowl Festival I knew you were a Maryland boy. :D

Ever go to the Ward Museum carving contest in Ocean City?

One goose limit, severely cut season, and not many geese. Buddy is sucking wind on ducks in Long Island and he has a very hot pond. But they do have lots of geese. Just not down here much.

Used to be we’d be at Holly’s wasting breakfast at 10:30 w a full bag.

Now, it’s hard to find a reason to get out and hunt.

Small world. Travel safe and have a joyous Christmas

Have you guys tried the amazing crab pretzel at Fishermans Inn?