• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a new duck gun

What auto for ducks?

• Total voters
Just saw Kenny Schrader going into Fisherman’s Inn as we were leaving on Sunday.

But when you said waterfowl Festival I knew you were a Maryland boy. :D

Ever go to the Ward Museum carving contest in Ocean City?

One goose limit, severely cut season, and not many geese. Buddy is sucking wind on ducks in Long Island and he has a very hot pond. But they do have lots of geese. Just not down here much.

Used to be we’d be at Holly’s wasting breakfast at 10:30 w a full bag.

Now, it’s hard to find a reason to get out and hunt.

Small world. Travel safe and have a joyous Christmas
Very cool. I did most of my hunting around the rock hall area. The rich kids I went to school with all had huge farms on the water up that way.

I took decoy carving as a class in highschool :)

Ah Holly's. I miss that place as well as the chicken place in grasonville.

I just realized there is late season archery in january.. I may have to bring my Bow this year. Only $155 for out of state licence with archery stamp. Same out of state license would be about $850 here.

Reactions: Baron23
Sold more SBE and Beretta extremes than anything back in the day and I'd show everything from cheap to high end and see what fit them best. I didn't push any brands.

Usually came down to if they wanted a gas gun or not.

Have you guys tried the amazing crab pretzel at Fishermans Inn?
My mother in law makes the best crabdip in the world and my wifes uncle is a commercial crabber and no shit catches the best crabs you will probably ever eat. Every single time we get crabs from him they are stellar. He has the special breed of sweet corn he grows and the corn is steamed with the crabs and out of this world. All from the Wye River.

Some other good restaurants to hit up in that area:

Hemmingways
Narrows
Kenmorr
Lures (left side of bridge)
Annies

• Love
Reactions: BCX and Baron23
@FWoo45

Go beretta. Their gas system is literally without peer. They run forever without cleaning and with all types of loads.
They still need to be cleaned but everything else is correct.

Depending on which generation of beretta, you can go 500-1500 rounds before needing to break down and clean the gas system. Cheap dirty shells obviously more frequent than clean burning stuff.

Beretta with the blink system.

Trap loads to 3.5" mags, they just eat everything. I've seen them go 20,000 rounds without cleaning, and still cycling skeet loads.

Reactions: TACC and BCX
You may want to read some of Randy Wakeman's articles. I'm not one who just takes everything he says like gospel like a lot of folks; but he's got pretty good reviews and for the most part isn't afraid to call a spade a spade.

Myself, I've been looking (for a few years...now kicking self) and a Fabarm L4S or their XLR(5). Then again, I could say...get a REAL Auto-5 and you'll never have to worry about gas!! :) :) . But, the sad thing is the Auto-5 is wood stock and all, so not the best wet weather/boat gun.

I've also looked at the Retay guns; which are inertia. Sadly both of these brands (Fabarm and Retay) have gone up in price significantly in the past 2 years (thanks Covid) and thanks PJ.

Love the old Rut Daniels saying,,,, if the triggers gold the birds will fold 😂😂

Attachments

• E8025F3B-BB7D-4CDA-81EF-7C4D9140A61D.jpeg
    E8025F3B-BB7D-4CDA-81EF-7C4D9140A61D.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 31
All kidding aside.. find a gun that fits the shooter and is in your price range. Waterfowl guns are tools, they get used and abused. I rolled my kayak last year and lost a SBE3 for 15 min in 6 feet of water,, first time out w that gun..ended up finding it but had to go in head first a few times. 🤬

We hunt the northeast w temps down below 0 at times. O/U, pumps have been the most reliable. Benelli SBE2 has ran well in those temps. I have seen more than a few gassers go down.

FYI we don't hunt from heated blinds....
This happened to me once, and once was enough. Hunting geese and ducks near Chelan, WA some years back. It was -2 F with clouds and wind.

My gas semi auto froze, failed to cycle on the first shot, then snapped both bolt carrier rails on the second shot. Luckily, I brought a spare. Two is one, and one is none as the SEALs say. So, went back to the truck and pulled out my O/U 20ga Browning and proceeded to limit out in the next 15-minutes.

All the scatterguns that I now own are O/Us and have been ever since. By the way, the semi auto had been out of production for some years and was not repairable. No parts. Tried welding the rails back but it quickly failed again.

Reactions: BCX
This happened to me once, and once was enough. Hunting geese and ducks near Chelan, WA some years back. It was -2 F with clouds and wind.

My gas semi auto froze, failed to cycle on the first shot, then snapped both bolt carrier rails on the second shot. Luckily, I brought a spare. Two is one, and one is none as the SEALs say. So, went back to the truck and pulled out my O/U 20ga Browning and proceeded to limit out in the next 15-minutes.

All the scatterguns that I now own are O/Us and have been ever since. By the way, the semi auto had been out of production for some years and was not repairable. No parts. Tried welding the rails back but it quickly failed again.
What semi failed?

Buddy of mine blew out his threads and choke on a Beretta A-400 earlier this year the day before opening day on a sporting clays course. I usually have 3-4 waterfowl guns in the safe so i was able to keep him in the game... Sold him my Beretta A-400 Extreme Plus.

Buddy of mine blew out his threads and choke on a Beretta A-400 earlier this year the day before opening day on a sporting clays course. I usually have 3-4 waterfowl guns in the safe so i was able to keep him in the game... Sold him my Beretta A-400 Extreme Plus.
That was an expensive mistake LOL.

Auto 5: Classic, dependable as a Toyota, prolific and inexpensive. Will last and function longer than you.

Reactions: BytorJr
Yes. Which gun was it? Make and model.
It was a Weatherby model 82 from the 80s. Basically a Remington 1100 clone. Beautiful gun and worked extremely well. That until I took out in below 0 temps and then it didn't.

Like this one...
100665593_52806_E7B4B7B95E10592C.jpg

Last edited:
1100's are notorious for blowing orings, especilly in the cold. They are a warm weather gun at best, but their quality/tech was easily surpassed in the 80s by Beretta.

That was an expensive mistake LOL.
No local guns in stock so it worked out for me lol. I bought 2 for goose guns in the layout blind but w this years 1 bird limit it wasn't worth the setup. I did manage to shoot 1 goose w the Cynergy while duck hunting.

Oh I thought you meant Stuttgart, AR
haha...thought so too until he mentioned the Waterfowl Festival which is in Easton, MD...Talbot county....in Nov every year.

They have the world goose calling contest finals there and the regionals finals for duck calling with winner going to Stuttgart for world final.

And I still have my "diamond" grade 390. Don't shoot it much, prob should sell it. It was a Ballistics Specialties "see what I'm saying" tuned up gun.

I used an SBE2 for waterfowl as you can paddle a boat with it and it will still shoot. In freezing and wet weather, a drop of Break Free will keep it running. But, I think if I was to do it again, I would go for an A400 Extrema. Nice gun.

Cheers

Reactions: 308pirate and BCX
Yea thats why extended chokes are always a good idea. Every 50 or so rounds just give them a tug and make sure they are still tight. Using Rig grease will help them from getting cold welded.

Always store chokes loose. Tighten before you shoot and loosen before you store. Will save alot of time, money and frustration.

Oh I thought you meant Stuttgart, AR.............
I hunted THE Duck Capital of the world (yes, that is Stuttgart, AR) whilst my father was still able to go and before we lost our lease. Once we had to start going to Bayou Meto, the fun quickly came to an end.

Note, I think the flyway has shifted a bit east and Clarendon would be closer now. Ducks also don't seem come down as far as when I was a child. Lot's of theories but I think one of the best is the Northern states seasons open so soon the yearling ducks are not developed enough to fly well and are easy targets.

Might want to check what an Auto 5 costs. New production or even used good quality.

Still not as good as a Beretta Gas gun.
I don't think he's talking A5, he's talking the Auto-5. HUGE difference. No new production Auto-5's since 1998 and the later Japanese 20ga were damn near as heavy as a "Light-12." Only way an Auto-5 doesn't cycle is if the friction rings are set wrong (almost impossible for a duck load not to cycle) and if the internals are gummed up from WD-40.

But, unless you have your own set-up, dry blind, the Auto-5 isn't going to set the world on fire standing in waders for 4-6 hours.

I don't think he's talking A5, he's talking the Auto-5. HUGE difference. No new production Auto-5's since 1998 and the later Japanese 20ga were damn near as heavy as a "Light-12." Only way an Auto-5 doesn't cycle is if the friction rings are set wrong (almost impossible for a duck load not to cycle) and if the internals are gummed up from WD-40.

But, unless you have your own set-up, dry blind, the Auto-5 isn't going to set the world on fire standing in waders for 4-6 hours.
You are correct. The 12 I fondled felt pretty light but maybe that’s just because of what I’m used to.

Yea thats why extended chokes are always a good idea. Every 50 or so rounds just give them a tug and make sure they are still tight. Using Rig grease will help them from getting cold welded.

Always store chokes loose. Tighten before you shoot and loosen before you store. Will save alot of time, money and frustration.

Way too complicated.

I dab some grease (whatever EP synthetic is in my grease gun at the time) on the threads and leave them in.

I'll admit I don't change often. My lanber has a skeet1 and ic that I've only pulled to clean, and my Benelli has only ever seen the ic choke. They're never loose but they come out when I need.

Complicated if you have an IQ below 70.

When the grease dries out and solidifies and your carbon steel chokes cold weld to your carbon steel barrel, enjoy buying a new barrel and chokes.

I don’t crawl on grinds like I used to, but I’m still not nice to my duck gun. I like to think that I’m pretty good with my other guns, but the duck slayer is definitely neglected. Reliability is a major factor, not that I can’t change my ways some, but I’m never going to clean it after every outing.

ETA: I say this because I know what a pain stuck choke tubes can be. Never had to replace a barrel but did trash a choke tube. I haven’t checked this year but so far I have been lucky enough to always get em out, eventually.

haha...thought so too until he mentioned the Waterfowl Festival which is in Easton, MD...Talbot county....in Nov every year.

They have the world goose calling contest finals there and the regionals finals for duck calling with winner going to Stuttgart for world final.

And I still have my "diamond" grade 390. Don't shoot it much, prob should sell it. It was a Ballistics Specialties "see what I'm saying" tuned up gun.

I used an SBE2 for waterfowl as you can paddle a boat with it and it will still shoot. In freezing and wet weather, a drop of Break Free will keep it running. But, I think if I was to do it again, I would go for an A400 Extrema. Nice gun.

Cheers
I have seen my buddy drive 1.5 hrs, show up w no paddles and not sweat it,,, he did use his SBE2 on a 1 mile paddle😂😂

Same buddy shows up the night before opening day this year w the same SBE2 locked up. Used it for 3 weeks off and on sea duck hunting last year without cleaning it. A quick trip to my garage w Breakfree CLP for a quick bath, 5 min soak time, rubber mallet used to knock the bolt loose and back in business. That gun dripped CLP for 2 weekends but ran all season without a hiccup.. SBE2 is one tough son of a bitch….

• Haha
And don’t get me started on his mystery bag of shells coated in rust

I have a Rem. versamax (copy Benelli ARGO system) that has worked great for me over the years. I have mostly shot target loads for trap, skeet, and sporting clays and I think I’ve had it jam 1-2 times out of easily 10k plus rounds. The extension off the back of the bolt did break off a few years ago, and I got the replacement part from Brownells for $30. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the higher end Benellis or Berettas for duck hunting. Pick which one you like best and run it

Reactions: BCX
My only 2 cents is, if you want an SBE, get an SBE2 (or even an original) over a 3. Lots of issues with them if you search. Shooting high due to them changing the design of the comfortech stock which now flexes too much or some such thing?

I'm trying to remember the story on the super vinci, them being fussy? The supers, not the standard.
I've almost bought used super's a couple times to play with. Odd gun, odd design, pretty ugly. lol
I've only used a standard one which must have fit me perfectly because I hit clays with it like I'd been shooting it my whole life, not like a gun I'd just picked up for the first time seconds ago.

Reactions: BCX and Baron23
Complicated if you have an IQ below 70.

When the grease dries out and solidifies and your carbon steel chokes cold weld to your carbon steel barrel, enjoy buying a new barrel and chokes.

High-temp Permatex brake grease ain't gonna "dry out":

Standard anti-seize also works just fine. If you're regularly dunking the muzzle in salt water, then additional measures may be required.

I pull my chokes maybe once a year for the end of season deep clean. Never had issues with them being stuck. I put them in pretty tight to avoid them backing out, too. Don't fuck around with grease or anything, just whatever residual rem oil is left from cleaning everything. I generally give em a form twist to make sure they're tight when the gun come out of the truck on a hunt, too.

Oh, and I have hunted an sx4 for 4 or so years now. No problems.

Last edited:
I may be the only one here with a vinci, the 3", not a super. I've got a 24" barrel gun and it takes a few flats of shells before it starts to hiccup.

Trap, sporting clays, upland birds, and waterfowl. It shoots a high pattern and I have to float targets a bit, but the thing will run and run and run. The biggest downside is that the buttpads degrade real quick after about 3-4 years and need replaced.

I run the gun dry, when I do clean it, I spray everything down, wipe it clean, then make sure that get every little bit of excess lubricant that may be hiding. I've taken a swim with that gun a couple times. Get up, dunk it to rinse the mud off, and it dumps 3 shells without complaining. Also pretty light for a 12 gauge which is nice for walking fields. Carlson waterfowl long range choke and call it a day.

Attachments

• 20181124_151918.jpg
    20181124_151918.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Snapchat-256290704.jpg
    Snapchat-256290704.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: BCX and FWoo45