• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build guide

What do you suppose the chances are of USO making another batch? Not that I have the funds anyway. And the CMP appears closed these days.

If I was a gamblin man.. I'd go all in on USO not doing anything. Seems like they came and gone...

On the other hand, Im sure the CMP will open again. They just sold 4 scopes the beginning of the month. I think they started the auctions in 2014 or 2015? Not sure but either way, who knows how many are left and when they will run out...

What do you suppose the chances are of USO making another batch? Not that I have the funds anyway. And the CMP appears closed these days.
USO in July of 18 were making another run of the mst-100. I dont know if the got enough to do this are not but I'd call them and see if your interest in one.

Reactions: mcm308
Wonder if modern USO could build them to the quality standard held prior to the current? Hope so.

I used to be a huge fan and have two great USO scopes made years ago. My old SN3 and ST10 are bomb proof.

Wonder if modern USO could build them to the quality standard held prior to the current? Hope so.

I used to be a huge fan and have two great USO scopes made years ago. My old SN3 and ST10 are bomb proof.

Just curious, did you contact USO?

I had an ST10... great scope. But for an M40A1, a USO MST100 would be the last my of thoughts. Back when alot of us built M40A1's, USO was our only option.....

JMO...

Reactions: rckendall
I have not contacted USO. Dont have the funds any way. There is a Unertl for sale here in the PX. Or was earlier in the week.

I have not contacted USO. Dont have the funds any way. There is a Unertl for sale here in the PX. Or was earlier in the week.

Save your pennies. When you got 3 grand, then start looking for an Unertl and hope for the best. Good luck, its not easy. When I built mine, I sold a motorcycle to buy the scope!

Save your pennies. When you got 3 grand, then start looking for an Unertl and hope for the best. Good luck, its not easy. When I built mine, I sold a motorcycle to buy the scope!

Before the virus related shutdown a week or two ago, CMP would list at least three or four Unertl USMC Sniper 10X scopes per week. Their last week of active listings, two scopes with rings sold for about $2300 each. When the situation clears and CMP gets back to active listings, I'd say the collectors' market saturation for these scopes combined with their inventory may be at the point where unless there's a big bidding war on a particular scope, they'll go for around that price or only a bit more.

Before the virus related shutdown a week or two ago, CMP would list at least three or four Unertl USMC Sniper 10X scopes per week. Their last week of active listings, two scopes with rings sold for about $2300 each. When the situation clears and CMP gets back to active listings, I'd say the collectors' market saturation for these scopes combined with their inventory may be at the point where unless there's a big bidding war on a particular scope, they'll go for around that price or only a bit more.

Yea I'll agree with that. I was watching the last 4 scopes at the beginning of the month. Thats why I was trying to say anyone that wants or needs one, the window is now until? And then the time will come when they dry up and the value will start increasing over time.

Not sure if its been posted anywhere but does anyone know how many scopes the CMP received?

How many rifles/scopes were there? Just very interesting to me. I don't see that I will ever be in a place that I could own one or build an authentic reproduction. I certainly respect all those who put the effort and dollars into them.

The first CMP Unertl sold 4/26/14 for 6007$
There has been 327 Unertl listings up to April 4th 2020.

I saw a post a few years ago that said the CMP had received about 600 Unertl scopes. That was based on a comment from the CMP. That probably includes incomplete/damaged/parts scopes.

I've been looking at the number sold too. I'll take your word on the 327 total. It got a little fuzzy to me because some have been auctioned multiple times where people didn't finalize their auction purchases.

Within the total sold I counted:

69 - .50 cal. scopes in the 5xxx serial number range
30 - .50 cal. converted from .30 cal.
2 - USO made scopes that had apparently been in USMC use

How many rifles/scopes were there? Just very interesting to me. I don't see that I will ever be in a place that I could own one or build an authentic reproduction. I certainly respect all those who put the effort and dollars into them.

Here's a guess on the total number of Unertl scopes delivered to the USMC, based on the serial number ranges I've seen so far from the CMP sales:

.30 cal. - about 1000 through 1913, so over 900 (corrected, thanks kft101)
.50 cal. - about 5000 through 5150, so about 150 total

Last edited:
I saw a post a few years ago that said the CMP had received about 600 Unertl scopes. That was based on a comment from the CMP. That probably includes incomplete/damaged/parts scopes.

I've been looking at the number sold too. I'll take your word on the 327 total. It got a little fuzzy to me because some have been auctioned multiple times where people didn't finalize their auction purchases.

Within the total sold I counted:

69 - .50 cal. scopes in the 5xxx serial number range
30 - .50 cal. converted from .30 cal.
2 - USO made scopes that had apparently been in USMC use

Well I counted 327 auctions. Atleast one auction was for 2 scopes so figure 327 give or take a few...

Here's a guess on the total number of Unertl scopes delivered to the USMC, based on the serial number ranges I've seen so far from the CMP sales:

.30 cal. - about 1000 through 1913, so over 1900
.50 cal. - about 5000 through 5150, so about 150 total

I think you need to recheck that Math for Marines, bud. If the serial number range for the .30 cal USMC Sniper Unertls were 1000 to 1913, that is a bit over 900, not 1900.

Well I counted 327 auctions. Atleast one auction was for 2 scopes so figure 327 give or take a few...

I agree. I forgot about all the auctions for 2 scopes. It's funny how many were auctioned multiple times. When I was counting the .50 cal. converted from .30 cal. scopes, out of 30 actual scopes, 5 were sold more than once. Crazy, must have been drunk bidders, ha! One was even sold 3 times:

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/search...xt=unertl 1867&searchtype=0&view=&show=closed

I think you need to recheck that Math for Marines, bud. If the serial number range for the .30 cal USMC Sniper Unertls were 1000 to 1913, that is a bit over 900, not 1900.

Oops, thanks for catching that. About 900 is correct. My math is better than my typing skills, ha!

I’ll get my manual that came with the scope and send you a pic. Mine showed, 300 yard zero, 900 inch method, and observation method. This was from USO on the last batch of scopes they built. I’ll find it when I get home this afternoon and post a picture. Some other members here may be able to chime in.

Im curious to know... whats with the 300 yard zero? What instructions call for that? I read the Unertl manual yesterday and sure as shit, it calls for a 100 yard zero.
Honestly hope I’m wrong on the 300 yard zero, sure as hell would be easier to zero at 100!

Honestly hope I’m wrong on the 300 yard zero, sure as hell would be easier to zero at 100!

From the Unertl manual,
Screenshot_20200429-103718_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20200429-103802_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20200429-103832_Drive.jpg

2C79B484-5E5F-451E-A453-887B865AD032.jpeg
099BBBCC-47A2-4FA5-95B5-EB2F937D347C.jpeg
These were the instructions sent with my mst100 from USO. So I guess I was under the impression it had to be zeroed at 300 for everything to work correctly, I hadn’t seen the Unertl manual before. Glad to see it.

View attachment 7312629View attachment 7312630 These were the instructions sent with my mst100 from USO. So I guess I was under the impression it had to be zeroed at 300 for everything to work correctly, I hadn’t seen the Unertl manual before. Glad to see it.
The download link for the Unertl is in here a page or two back. It looks alot more thorough than the USO manual.

Reactions: Stevo86
I made this thread over in the reloading section for you guys who handload for your A1.

What do you suppose the a1 designers were smoking when they decided to put the ring screws in from the bottom?

Finished One Round War. Learned a ton. Wish there had been more than 1 chapter on the a1. Any comparable book on the a1 out there?

SPECIAL REQUEST
So I'm currently the high bidder on Unerl scope number 1055 at the CMP. I would owe you guys huge if you didn't bid against me. Its the last component needed for my M40A1 build. I've sat on my return stock since getting it from McMillan way back in the day. I'm CMP user 18713. Wish me luck. Look me up after its complete and I will let you shoot it.

I figure I got no shot at winning even at my max bid but I gotta try.

Last edited:
SPECIAL REQUEST
So I'm currently the high bidder on Unerl scope number 1055 at the CMP. I would owe you guys huge if you didn't bid against me. Its the last component needed for my M40A1 build. I've sat on my return stock since getting it from McMillan way back in the day. I'm CMP user 18713. Wish me luck. Look me up after its complete and I will let you shoot it.

I figure I got no shot at winning even at my max bid but I gotta try.

Good luck bro!
20200524_150931.jpg

I'm still the current high bidder but only because I keep raising my bid. Sitting at 2900. I'm sure its gonna go for $3500 with the rings which I don't need. How much do those sell for?

but I'm gonna shoot it so the coil springs upgrade would be a good thing.

QUICK RESPONSE NEEDED.
So I was at the LGS today looking at the rack of used consignment rifles and see one with a Redfield on it. I shoulder it, and I'll be dang, it is an Accurange with tombstone!

So I asked the store owner to ask the gun owner what he would take for the scope. Ive never seen one for sale. What are they worth? Looks perfect condition.

I wasn't intending to go that route but it would be period correct and a fraction of the cost.

QUICK RESPONSE NEEDED.
So I was at the LGS today looking at the rack of used consignment rifles and see one with a Redfield on it. I shoulder it, and I'll be dang, it is an Accurange with tombstone!

So I asked the store owner to ask the gun owner what he would take for the scope. Ive never seen one for sale. What are they worth? Looks perfect condition.

I wasn't intending to go that route but it would be period correct and a fraction of the cost.

Buy the whole gun and ask questions later? I dunno, what rifle is it on? Lol

An old 300 weathery magnum. Is asking 2,000. I already have the 300 win mag and the 300 ultra mag so I don't need another 30 Cal mag. I like the way you think though!

Last edited:
An old 300 weathery magnum. Is asking 2,000. I already have the 300 win mag and the 300 ultra mag so I don't need another 30 Cal mag. I like the way you think though!

Well.. worst case you could always try to sell the rifle again to get some money back. I don't know much about the Redfields but it may be worth quite a bit more then what the whole package is selling for. I think its pretty rare to the point I think there was a guy trying to replicate the reticle and I have not seen one for sale in years. If you got a smear pattern stock, it'll be good. And you can probably flip the TMA Unertl mount and get your coin back for that.

QUICK RESPONSE NEEDED.

I think it really depends on the model (plus specs) and year of manufacture of the scope. Redfields with the accu-range reticle are not that rare or valuable unto themselves. Just search eBay for those words and you'll get several listings in the $200 to $500 range that aren't selling.

For it to be "valuable" (if you're interested in it because of the M40s and you want it for a spec build), then you'd want a Redfield 3-9X with the accu-range reticle and tombstone BDC. The originals were marked "3X-9X" and "Redfield 1" Tube" on the side of the turret housing. The ultra-rare and valuable ones are those that are original anodized green. There's one on eBay right now and it's at over $5k. Other than the original green anodizing, vintage Redfields of the same original configuration are in the $400 to $500 range right now, based on current listings.

No word back from the redfield seller yet. This one is gloss black. Its 3x9 with correct retical. I will look for the turret mark, thx. The modern Revolution model sells for around $225 on gunbroker.

I've always wondered about this pic of Carlos with the A1 with a red Redfield scope, which looks anodized. According to The One Round War, the A1 wasn't developed until post Vietnam. I suppose his continued involvement in the sniper training program would provide plenty of photo ops post war.
Hathcock.jpg

That’s not an A1. It’s a Winchester 70

That explains why the ser # is where it is. Didnt know they put smear stocks on Winnies.

My understanding and someone correct me if I’m wrong. It was a rifle built for him as a gift or something. Cool piece for sure tho

Picked up the Redfield Accu-range with tombstone for $137.50 out the door.