• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build guide

Came across this old thing at the local consignment rack. Barrel code indicates assembly in June of 1967 and the SN is within range of the original USMC M40. Didn't plan on building one but I just might have to if I can get a decent deal on it. Has the short nose shroud and tombstone safety. Not the prettiest rifle, but it might just do. I'll research a bit to see if it'll be correct for an A1 build.
View attachment 7433007View attachment 7433008
No 6-digit M40 was pretty either. We beat the shit out of them, they screwed a new barrel and rebed the thing, and then we beat them some more. If that's a short action, it would make a fine rifle if you're willing to chase that rabbit down its hole.

Reactions: D_TROS and Nate87
None did. Stupid comment. There is no way an M40 scope gets off the base.
Well, that's about the dumbest thing said as well. I personally know of one that grew legs, and heard of a few more that disappeared in the changing of hands to or from Albany.

Guess what, Marines are thieves too. Get the fuck over it.

Reactions: D_TROS
Well, that's about the dumbest thing said as well. I personally know of one that grew legs, and heard of a few more that disappeared in the changing of hands to or from Albany.

Guess what, Marines are thieves too. Get the fuck over it.
And you are full of crap. If a scope from an M40 walked off the base they would close the gates. The Corps don’t screw around with weapons disappearing. You have no idea what you are talking about. When did it happen and what unit? I can find out if it happened. That never happened and you are fake news. Give me the unit and time frame.

Fake news? Please...

2d FSSG had one go missing 95/96ish from the 3rd shop. The 2171 I spoke with at that time when dropping our guns off for PFI/LTI told me the shit had happened before in transit going in and out from MCLB, but this one disappeared from their shop.

They don't shut down gates either, they didn't when we had a PVS-5 get stolen in '94, and they didn't when we had a doc lose his M9 a few months later somewhere between CLNC and Norfolk. They also didn't when a guy I knew locked his M16A2 in his wall locker after returning from Stone Bay and went home on a 96, meanwhile his whole Bn stayed on lockdown for the entire weekend because they were short a rifle. I was on base that weekend, we of course heard about it, but we still went on and off base just fine while they thought this guy took his rifle and went UA.

So think they close gates when shit grows legs all you want, but they fucking didn't when it's happened several times in the past.

Fake news? Please...

2d FSSG had one go missing 95/96ish from the 3rd shop. The 2171 I spoke with at that time when dropping our guns off for PFI/LTI told me the shit had happened before in transit going in and out from MCLB, but this one disappeared from their shop.

They don't shut down gates either, they didn't when we had a PVS-5 get stolen in '94, and they didn't when we had a doc lose his M9 a few months later somewhere between CLNC and Norfolk. They also didn't when a guy I knew locked his M16A2 in his wall locker after returning from Stone Bay and went home on a 96, meanwhile his whole Bn stayed on lockdown for the entire weekend because they were short a rifle. I was on base that weekend, we of course heard about it, but we still went on and off base just fine while they thought this guy took his rifle and went UA.

So think they close gates when shit grows legs all you want, but they fucking didn't when it's happened several times in the past.
I’m not going to argue with you. Semper Fi.

• Haha
Reactions: 81sfo and Redmanss
I was with PMO at Pendleton. Yes, weapons and shit go missing. Some Marines are gun guys... go figure.

I remember in 05'-06' when one of the MEU's came back and was unloading, or whatever they call the process of bringing all their gear to shore, and thought they had a couple of missing M40A1's. Turns out they were stored away from the other weapons on some other pallet or something like that. But yeah, we were doing 100% vehicle checks in/out for a couple days until that got sorted out. Didn't "close the gates," but everyone was stopped.

Anyway, I'm sure missing sniper rifles would cause much more political fallout in CA than they would in NC. Besides, if the Base Commander says, "do it" the MP's do it.

You guys are/were both right.

Chesty loves you!

Last edited:
I was with PMO at Pendleton. Yes, weapons and shit go missing. Some Marines are gun guys... go figure.

I remember in 05'-06' when one of the MEU's came back and was unloading, or whatever they call the process of bringing all their gear to shore, and thought they had a couple of missing M40A1's. Turns out they were stored away from the other weapons on some other pallet or something like that. But yeah, we were doing 100% vehicle checks in/out for a couple days until that got sorted out. Didn't "close the gates," but everyone was stopped.

Anyway, I'm sure missing sniper rifles would cause much more political fallout in CA than they would in NC. Besides, if the Base Commander says, "do it" the MP's do it.

You guys are/were both right.

Chesty loves you!
Exactly. Shit would be a shit storm.

On a lighter note, I made a version of the tool used to run up the screws in the Unertl style rings. I saw one posted some time back that looked really great. Mine doesn’t, but it works. Smallest spring the hardware store had of the proper type, a piece of the correct Allen wrench cut off and the body of a broken punch. I soldered it together because that was the fastest, most solid connection I had the technology to make.

Attachments

• 8FE16F7D-578E-42E8-8360-664E8FE60308.jpeg
    8FE16F7D-578E-42E8-8360-664E8FE60308.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 1FFA575C-A31E-4D3E-8438-6850D567291A.jpeg
    1FFA575C-A31E-4D3E-8438-6850D567291A.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 6B320F14-BFEA-4FA7-9D8E-D912E1FA10D7.jpeg
    6B320F14-BFEA-4FA7-9D8E-D912E1FA10D7.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
A six digit 700 action for sale on an auction site in New Zealand. Serial No. 169137

If anyone down under is looking for one. I keep looking at it and thinking about my USMC return M40A1 stock in my garage.

(Not mine and I don't know who's it is.)

A little rough around the edges, but a great match for a build. FYI, one of my issued rifles was S/N 1688xx, so that’s under 300 off one of the real deals, a rare find there.

IOW, get it, you know you want to...:cool:

I still have her! She's the one on the bottom ; )
View attachment 7502569

I feel like I read it somewhere else and sorry to bother you Delta, but what scope is that on top??

I consider myself a scope snob and havent seen that one before. Is it one of those clones from a few yrs back?

Just so not cluttering up, I will post pic of my USMC marked 40x. I went with the Zeiss 4-14 and really love it.

USMC return trainer.JPG

Regards
DT

I feel like I read it somewhere else and sorry to bother you Delta, but what scope is that on top??

I consider myself a scope snob and havent seen that one before. Is it one of those clones from a few yrs back?

Just so not cluttering up, I will post pic of my USMC marked 40x. I went with the Zeiss 4-14 and really love it.

View attachment 7509955

Regards
DT
The scope is a one-off custom, based on a Redfield 3-9 scope with 3D printed parts to make it look like an MST-100. I ran across it for $100 and couldn't pass it up, Its perfect for my 40X 22lr and small game hunting ; ) By the way, I Love your rifle!!!!!!

Reactions: D_TROS
The scope is a one-off custom, based on a Redfield 3-9 scope with 3D printed parts to make it look like an MST-100. I ran across it for $100 and couldn't pass it up, Its perfect for my 40X 22lr and small game hunting ; ) By the way, I Love your rifle!!!!!!

Damn someone needs to start producing those :p

Reactions: deltawiskey
One of you guys needs to buy the FAL I have for sale on GB so I can pay GAP when my A1 is ready.

So called and ordered my stock from mcmillan today for my A1. Interestingly enough she asked some questions on which version I wanted and found it interesting.

She said some of the last versions they sold to the usmc include texturing like a normal htg and they also had mcmillan install the aluminum pillars. I think I recall seeing one or 2 examples that had the texturing but never heard of the pillars being installed. I had always read they were bedding pillars on the late models.

Ended up ordering with the pillars but no texture. Pillars are a small detail no one would know until I opened it up but I wanted the added support pillars bring.

Just thought it was interesting and wasn't sure if I just never came across that info or what. She claimed she had been there for a really long time. Pulled most of the info from memory and confirmed on the computer.

So called and ordered my stock from mcmillan today for my A1. Interestingly enough she asked some questions on which version I wanted and found it interesting.

She said some of the last versions they sold to the usmc include texturing like a normal htg and they also had mcmillan install the aluminum pillars. I think I recall seeing one or 2 examples that had the texturing but never heard of the pillars being installed. I had always read they were bedding pillars on the late models.

Ended up ordering with the pillars but no texture. Pillars are a small detail no one would know until I opened it up but I wanted the added support pillars bring.

Just thought it was interesting and wasn't sure if I just never came across that info or what. She claimed she had been there for a really long time. Pulled most of the info from memory and confirmed on the computer.

You talked too Lynn, a very nice lady that knows her stuff! She saved my butt when I broke my stock.

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
Can I ask how you broke your stock?

I was snapping in, there was a pop followed with a crunch sound. As I came out of position the forearm just fell off. As I took my sling off my eyes started too water up and slow tear slid down my face……

For some reason my pics don’t show up?

I was snapping in, there was a pop followed with a crunch sound. As I came out of position the forearm just fell off. As I took my sling off my eyes started too water up and slow tear slid down my face……

Oh shit. That’s not good.

Reactions: Phil McGrath

That's crazy to hear. Did you have on a really tight loop sling or something attached to the fore-end of the stock?

That's crazy to hear. Did you have on a really tight loop sling or something attached to the fore-end of the stock?

The only thing attached too the stock was my Tam sling and ME the same sling that you‘ve maybe seen attached too my M14. I will say I was rather snug but I wasn’t sling palsy tight. This was a very old stock so old that they no longer use the same fill material and haven’t for a very long time, per Lynn.

The original stock was done in Dark Camo, thankfully they still have the same colors in stock too recreate it, it was also updated from the original. These updates were added at no cost too me because they had too build a new one because of the colors. I suggested that if they had a Highland HTG in stock that was just fine with me flip a coin all I cared about was I got a como’d stock. At Lynn‘s suggestion I had the texturing and sniperfill done I didn’t want too take advantage. This added a little over a extra pound too the rifles overall weight, not a big deal.

A few hours later I got a e-mail with the order info and confirmation, I was instructed too send in the broken stock and paid a whopping $40 too cover there shipping too me. I sent in the busted stock got a email that they got it. A month and half later there was a box with the new stock in it on the front porch when I got home from work.

1000% happy with McMillan’s customer service.

I haven't seen a unertl for sale from the CMP in weeks. Wonder if they finally ran out. Glad I got one when I did.

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
I haven't seen a unertl for sale from the CMP in weeks. Wonder if they finally ran out. Glad I got one when I did.
There is one on there now. Auction ends the 22nd I think

I saw that. Broken ret but still bidding above $1100. That's nuts. What ya gonna do with a busted reticle?

She said some of the last versions they sold to the usmc include texturing like a normal htg

This picture I pulled from the U.S. National Archives. I've never seen actual HTG texturing but this Marine seemed to be using some sort of grip tape in the same location.

s2tZFPa.jpg

Ebay gets the eagle scope covers off and on. In my platoon they were privately purchased so I saw green and black.
The sock method was simple.
Cut a slit in a sock lengthwise but leave the toes and calf intact. Slip the sock over the scope through the slit. Tie the calf/opening in a knot.
The sock will now slip off and on using the cut slit.
Clear as mud?

Reactions: Redmanss
Eagle Industries is still in business, but don't have the scope covers or other HSRC items at this time.

Ebay has some of the Eagle Industries scope covers listed. They appear to the original but use your own due diligence: