• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LongSchott

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2020
Hey everyone,
Beginner here so if I ask a stupid question let me know.
I'm looking to make a custom rifle as close to the M2010 as possible for training purposes. I would really like to use GA Precision to make the rig but so far contacting them has been impossible. I've called and left messages as well as emailed but have yet to recieve a call back. Does anyone have a better way of contacting them for a build or know of another company that would be able to accomplish a close clone? Here is what I've figured out so far.
-M24 action
-300wm
-Fluted barrel with m24 contour and threading for t-90 muzzle break
-Cadex lite strike

If anyone knows of a precision rifle builder besides GA Precision that could do this build let me know! Open to suggestions and information.

Would bet it gets done much faster too
It's all those Southeast shooters buying GAP Team Rifle clones filling up their backlog, lol.

But in all seriousness, I've had a GAP Tempest on order for four months, and it's still not expected to be completed for another two months. Apparently Bartlein barrels are harder to find than Varget in 2022...

It's all those Southeast shooters buying GAP Team Rifle clones filling up their backlog, lol.

But in all seriousness, I've had a GAP Tempest on order for four months, and it's still not expected to be completed for another two months. Apparently Bartlein barrels are harder to find than Varget in 2022...
I would love to even be able to place an order haha.

Last summer I think Ash or George was deployed for National Guard training, and orders were suspended for well over a month altogether. I'd say it's worth the wait and the hassle.

Reactions: LongSchott
Ahh that makes sense! Awesome ill wait for GA to get back to me. I've been a huge fan of the work done there and would rather have something by GA then elsewhere. Thanks for shedding light on everything guys!

I emailed them last week? maybe Sunday night I don't remember, Heard back next day. They built my rifle with the Templar v2 and it is awesome. Came back was earlier than estimated too. Sent all parts in April 2020 got it back July 2020 I think, was estimated Sep/Oct.

Haha not in my neck of the SE. I'm the only guy running a tempest in nc/VA....well was....

Excellent action, highly under rated.

They're Defiance actions branded under GAP. I don't know how they'd be highly under rated? Or do people just go for the Defiance name?

I've got a couple rifles originally built by GAP and a rifle they re-barrelled. All great stuff, but I haven't done anything with them for quite a while because I couldn't get them to respond to messages. The last straw was I wanted to order a custom rifle and couldn't get them to take the order. I had it built elsewhere. I still think very highly of their products, but it's not worth the struggle unless you happen to find exactly what you want on the "rifles ready to ship" page.

They're Defiance actions branded under GAP. I don't know how they'd be highly under rated? Or do people just go for the Defiance name?

The tempest, not the Templar. Tempest had a rough go because the bolt lift feels like a tank unless you get the firing pin protrusion set just right with the trigger hangers. Lot of people gave up on them because of it.

I have a Tempest build that I had GAP put together it is one my favorite rifles that I have owned and Functional is absolutely right about pin fall and the right trigger hanger. I guess I am fortunate as my rifle only took 4 weeks from the time I ordered till I had it delivered to my FFL. I worked with Ash but there were a couple of times I could not reach him and just used the general sales option, and a someone answered every time.

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
Sometimes you get surprised how quick it gets finished. I sent mine in a month after COVID hit and got it 3 months ahead of schedule.

If you are going to buy a GAP make sure you buy a PRS membership first.. will save you a nice chunk of change.
Really? Just a PRS membership gets you in? I thought there must be a secret word or handshake that gets a return message from GAP and LRI. I have tried both and never got a response. Luckily, Fritz at Black Canyon is very responsive and has quick turn around. Nature always fills a void.

The tempest, not the Templar. Tempest had a rough go because the bolt lift feels like a tank unless you get the firing pin protrusion set just right with the trigger hangers. Lot of people gave up on them because of it.
This. I have a GAP Tempest. Switched out a Triggertech for another Triggertech for a different shoe and it went from great trigger to unsafe. GAP went above and beyond making sure I had every option trigger hanger and got the right one in so it works fantastic now. They can be hard to get ahold of but Ash has always called me back within a couple days at most. They rebarreled one of mine last year. 4months and pretty much on time from what they told me. LRI I gave up on when they wouldn't respond to PMs, emails, and their phones were down. I've been told if I call they will answer and I probably will this year on another build.

Really? Just a PRS membership gets you in? I thought there must be a secret word or handshake that gets a return message from GAP and LRI. I have tried both and never got a response. Luckily, Fritz at Black Canyon is very responsive and has quick turn around. Nature always fills a void.
I literally emailed LRI Saturday and heard back Monday morning. Chad even emailed me twice in a row after the first email said he'd check when he got to the shop.

98CD5B87-B727-4CC5-B9C1-C9CEE0888139.jpeg
Good group of folks that work at GAP, and they do sell a quality rifle. However, it took me almost 6 months to get the rifle and I even walked in to order it (stationed at Ft. Leavenworth for 9 months)

Update, GAP contacted me. I had completely forgotten shot show was going on right now. I appreciate everyone for shedding light on the situation and presenting alternatives. Sounds like those who went with GAP are very happy so I will be going that route for sure! Hopefully I'll be sporting a nice beauty soon!

Contacted GAP last night by phone to place an order. It rang a couple of times, but it eventually got answered. I will say they still haven't responded back to an email I sent a few days before calling.

GAP certainly does some great stuff, but communication is hit and miss. I called once, sent an email once. No reply to either...and hell, I am in town!

Everything is harder to find! Yes some things are loosening a little but overall...it's going to be tough for a while.

Australian shooters are being told no primers till 2023!

Match rifle shooters in the U.K. since this past summer...there are no 30cal match bullets anywhere in the U.K. completely sold out and last I heard no eta when they will be getting any.

Brass makers, powder makers, bullet makers that I've talked to over the past month....are back ordered for 2 years.

I Ordered a scope back in March and didn't get it till just before Thanksgiving.

I've had a Ruger Bisley on order since summer of 2020!

I've had 3 custom revolvers on order since April 2021. First was told by August...then by October and in December I'm being told early this year...still waiting!

Had some 45acp ammo on order since May 2020. Got a email in December 2021....all orders from 2020 that have not been filled....have now been cancelled/wiped off the books.

Overall I see no let up in demand anywhere and I'll say it will be like this thru 2022 and into 2023.

Our two main steel suppliers...one is no longer running any gun barrel steel. It's like #5 on the priority lists for them and they have too much other work the last I heard that is a bigger priority. Our other supplier if you are a new customer to them...back in May 2021 they're lead times went from 5 months to 14 months. I'm glad we've been a customer with them for like 13 years now. They've been working well with us. That being said...we have material scheduled well into 2023 now. If anyone is wondering...no we are not out of steel or have any steel issues.

Seen a thing the other day that said there where another new 5.4 million new gun owners last year and over 7 million new gun owners in 2020.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I hear you in the steel. I work in the cellular industry and anyone who has looked up at a tower over the last two years would see all the additional bracing being added to house these huge fucking antennas and radios we use now. We could get a mount from Patriot or Better Metal in about two weeks early last year. Now, depending on what we need, it’s 2 -5 months IF it shows up on time and correct.

I suspect it’s going to get worse before it gets better. Gird your loins boys, this years gonna hurt.

To the OP, I’ve seems countless GAP rifles over the last 20 years. All well built shooters. I think you’ll be pleased.

I went to two different gun stores this past weekend looking for a box or two of 30-06 ammo to test a new hunting rifle (well a rebuilt/restored Remington 70 Express from 1930). Can't find a single box of '06 ammo.

I've got a 1k rounds of ball ammo but I'm not running ball ammo thru the gun.

I never would've thought you couldn't find '06 ammo ever on the shelf. Same as 30-30 ammo. Haven't seen 30-30 ammo in a long time either (I don't have a 30-30). Just when ever I'm at Cablea's or a gun store of some sort I scan the shelves out of curiosity to see what they do and don't have.

Hey everyone,
Beginner here so if I ask a stupid question let me know.
I'm looking to make a custom rifle as close to the M2010 as possible for training purposes. I would really like to use GA Precision to make the rig but so far contacting them has been impossible. I've called and left messages as well as emailed but have yet to recieve a call back. Does anyone have a better way of contacting them for a build or know of another company that would be able to accomplish a close clone? Here is what I've figured out so far.
-M24 action
-300wm
-Fluted barrel with m24 contour and threading for t-90 muzzle break
-Cadex lite strike

If anyone knows of a precision rifle builder besides GA Precision that could do this build let me know! Open to suggestions and information.
LRI is a solid bet, but Texas Brigade Armory specializes in military repro rifles.
Give Mike Lau a call.

I went to two different gun stores this past weekend looking for a box or two of 30-06 ammo to test a new hunting rifle (well a rebuilt/restored Remington 70 Express from 1930). Can't find a single box of '06 ammo.

I never would've thought you couldn't find '06 ammo ever on the shelf. Same as 30-30 ammo. Haven't seen 30-30 ammo in a long time either (I don't have a 30-30). Just when ever I'm at Cablea's or a gun store of some sort I scan the shelves out of curiosity to see what they do and don't have.

Do you need a box or two?

Yeah been trying to get GA all week. No phone answers. 1 email reply and they went dead on me. Will keep trying next week.

Want to build a

.300 win mag
McMillan A4 w/Badger EFR or AI ATAICS
Action and barrel TBD
Suppressor & Mount TBD

Just a few of the great custom builders

GAP
LRI
APA rifles
Crescent Customs
Phoenix Custom
SAC

Yeah been trying to get GA all week. No phone answers. 1 email reply and they went dead on me. Will keep trying next week.

Want to build a

.300 win mag
McMillan A4 w/Badger EFR or AI ATAICS
Action and barrel TBD
Suppressor & Mount TBD
GAP has been up in Wyoming all week setting up and running the Hornady PRC. Try again Wednesday next week, and you'll likely have better luck. Think of GA Precision as a few gunsmiths who shoot professionally and are deeply involved in the community, rather than a Walmart of guns.

Everything is harder to find! Yes some things are loosening a little but overall...it's going to be tough for a while.

Australian shooters are being told no primers till 2023!

Match rifle shooters in the U.K. since this past summer...there are no 30cal match bullets anywhere in the U.K. completely sold out and last I heard no eta when they will be getting any.

Brass makers, powder makers, bullet makers that I've talked to over the past month....are back ordered for 2 years.

I Ordered a scope back in March and didn't get it till just before Thanksgiving.

I've had a Ruger Bisley on order since summer of 2020!

I've had 3 custom revolvers on order since April 2021. First was told by August...then by October and in December I'm being told early this year...still waiting!

Had some 45acp ammo on order since May 2020. Got a email in December 2021....all orders from 2020 that have not been filled....have now been cancelled/wiped off the books.

Overall I see no let up in demand anywhere and I'll say it will be like this thru 2022 and into 2023.

Our two main steel suppliers...one is no longer running any gun barrel steel. It's like #5 on the priority lists for them and they have too much other work the last I heard that is a bigger priority. Our other supplier if you are a new customer to them...back in May 2021 they're lead times went from 5 months to 14 months. I'm glad we've been a customer with them for like 13 years now. They've been working well with us. That being said...we have material scheduled well into 2023 now. If anyone is wondering...no we are not out of steel or have any steel issues.

Seen a thing the other day that said there where another new 5.4 million new gun owners last year and over 7 million new gun owners in 2020.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Time to start plans for a new 2nd factory then Frank?
Looks like now's the time to get in good stead to supply them new shooters.
You don't wanna be the one caught napping on the shitter.

Time to start plans for a new 2nd factory then Frank?
Looks like now's the time to get in good stead to supply them new shooters.
You don't wanna be the one caught napping on the shitter.
Unfortunately trying to find good people to work is just another problem everyone is dealing with including us. The list goes on from there....

We are doing what we can.

Later, Frank

Unfortunately trying to find good people to work is just another problem everyone is dealing with including us. The list goes on from there....

We are doing what we can.

Later, Frank
Yeah, it's the same story here. People just don't want to work & a lot of the young ones think employment is an entitlement with no responsibility.
One apprentice reckons he's got covid........for the 3rd time & thinks we all believe him. I think he's going to get a nasty surprise when he finally returns to work again. Always on their phones & walking around the job site with them earbuds hanging out their ears. They just don't get it.

Reactions: Frank Green
Yeah, it's the same story here. People just don't want to work & a lot of the young ones think employment is an entitlement with no responsibility.
One apprentice reckons he's got covid........for the 3rd time & thinks we all believe him. I think he's going to get a nasty surprise when he finally returns to work again. Always on their phones & walking around the job site with them earbuds hanging out their ears. They just don't get it.
I can't give all the details but this happened at the high school before the end of the school year here.

Two kids always come thru the line at the same time. One kid never has any money. Always says, "oh my friend Roger is going to pay for it!" Cashier says, "How come you never pay for it?" Oh, well my friend Roger has a job and he has money! The come back was, "maybe it's time you go out and get your own job!" Kid replies....no me and work doesn't work out. I've already had three different jobs and working isn't for me!

Not making it up! My son was in the line and witnessed the whole thing along with a couple of other people I know.

Pretty much what you said, some of these kids are being spoon fed by the wrong people and it's not necessarily the parents (if the parents are even around) and they feel they are entitled to something or that someone should be giving them something for free!

• Sad
Reactions: Terry Cross
Call LRI. He would never respond to my PMs or emails.

I answer a good 10-20 emails daily. If you were missed somehow apologies. We have been dealing with our own little outbreak of the RonaHIV over the last 4 or so weeks. Still have one guy out from it. Kalli was sick for almost 3 weeks and it had me out for 8 or so days.

Again, sorry we missed you. I have 9 phones in this place now and we make an effort to answer the "ring ring".

C.

GAP has been up in Wyoming all week setting up and running the Hornady PRC. Try again Wednesday next week, and you'll likely have better luck. Think of GA Precision as a few gunsmiths who shoot professionally and are deeply involved in the community, rather than a Walmart of guns.
Yeah they actually got up with me this week and the service has been spectacular. You can't expect to not wait in line for top tier stuff nowadays. Its where we're at with night vision among other highly desirable items. Looking forward to this build from them.

Reactions: rothgyr