• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Short action elk cartridge?

dymailbox

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2018
I’m about to have an elk rifle built for a Wyoming trip and think I’d like to stay in a short action.

I’d like a little more punch than a 6.5 creed, and I’m not worried about recoil, barrel life, etc.

Suggestions?

If you reload check out the Sherman short mags. Also the 7 SAUM.

The short mags come into their own when seated out but I get where you’re coming from and will eventually do a similar build where I have to compromise on COAL. From what I’ve gathered R26 will make up some of the velocity difference when giving up powder capacity to the longer heavier Bullets. Thus, I will probably end up doing a 300 WSM.

If you don’t reload I’d go 300 WSM and look at the Hornady hunter ammo loaded with the 200 ELDX.

7 Sherman short. With proper freebore, you can 195s to 2900 and still fit them in a mag

My first choice would be .284 Winchester, but the SA limits the cartridge a bit. .308 Win or .338 Federal would work too at 300 yards or closer.

Reactions: BCX
325 Wsm or 300 Wsm w Barnes Tsx or TTSX

If you reload check out the Sherman short mags. Also the 7 SAUM.

The short mags come into their own when seated out but I get where you’re coming from and will eventually do a similar build where I have to compromise on COAL. From what I’ve gathered R26 will make up some of the velocity difference when giving up powder capacity to the longer heavier Bullets. Thus, I will probably end up doing a 300 WSM.

If you don’t reload I’d go 300 WSM and look at the Hornady hunter ammo loaded with the 200 ELDX.

Thanks for all the replies. The Sherman short mags look perfect.

Reactions: gotbull
got a 300wsm (tikka t3x lite) for this october's upcoming elk hunt. 300 win mag performance in a short action. lots of ammo choices. seems like a no-brainer.

Reactions: CaptBrian
No replacement for displacement when it comes to heavy game w thick shoulder blades!

7 Sherman is sweet. 300 Sherman needs a longish barrel. If you want the option of factory ammo for at least back up, 300 WSM makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: CaptBrian
I went 6.5 PRC, but will be hunting more muleys than elk. So far really diggin it, low recoil, and like was stated looking for 3000+fps with my 26" barrel. As of now im not comfortable shooting at an animal past 600yds, and this has good energy til there, and past. Decent factory ammo available aiso was the clincher.

20190606_175551.jpg

I have a 6.5 prc I like but I’m thinking a 300 wsm 215 berger tikka build is in order so I don’t feel underpowered on the bigger stuff

If your shooting over hunting, any of the super cartridges with over the counter ammo will do just fine. If your hunting over shooting basically any centerfire will ethically support your purpose. If you do your part.

History speaks. This continent was tamed with muskets buy real hunters. Question; What modern Cartridge has similar Ballistics to the musket of that day.

Hint; generally they were around 44 caliber, around 200 ish grain weight, and traveled at subsonic speeds.

Hope this helps, good luck on your hunt!

I also went with the 300 wsm. Main reason for me was the availability of components and data versus some of the wildcat cartridges. I should have my build finished within the next week. Waiting for the barrel to come back from the cerakote shop. I plan to reload for it but there also appears to be a lot of good factory ammo if I change my mind. I'd like to try out the new'ish Federal Edge TLR's. Good luck on the Elk hunt.

I don't own one but they have peaked my interest over the years, never hunted elk but these will tip over a 1100# moose to approx 400 yards, no one mentioned them;

350 rem mag

338 wsm

And the 338 federal that has been mentioned.

If your shooting over hunting, any of the super cartridges with over the counter ammo will do just fine. If your hunting over shooting basically any centerfire will ethically support your purpose. If you do your part.

History speaks. This continent was tamed with muskets buy real hunters. Question; What modern Cartridge has similar Ballistics to the musket of that day.

Hint; generally they were around 44 caliber, around 200 ish grain weight, and traveled at subsonic speeds.

Hope this helps, good luck on your hunt!
This X 1000
I guilty as well, prob worse than most lol

A short 7 or 30 would do well. I’m debating on a short mag or std mag for my next rifle. It will come down to brass for me.

There’s some good reading over at Rokslide on elk rifles. Definitely a bias towards 30s on a big case but many are using WSMs. And who doesn’t enjoy looking at rifles? Good way to waste some time with mountain scenery.

Years ago, I became friends with a fellow from Sherman, WY who was an avid Elk and Muley hunter. He swore by his 264 belted magnum which is not a short action. However, his father used a 270 Win and was harvesting Elk from as far as 400y out. Based on that anecdotal data, any short action cartridge which can match the ballistics of the 270 on the lower end or the 264 on the upper end and satisfy your needs for accuracy, etc will fill the bill. I would say 7mm/08 is the bottom with your 300 WSM being the upper end. I would have chose the 270 WSM but only cause I am partial to the 7mm slugs and it is slightly flatter.

Is anyone running the 300WSM or 300SAUM in AICS mags with the 215 BERGER?

The 215 Berger has been an absolute hammer on elk for me. And I wonder if I could squeeze it into the SAUM or WSM case and AICS mags.

Reactions: Possumpete
Is anyone running the 300WSM or 300SAUM in AICS mags with the 215 BERGER?

The 215 Berger has been an absolute hammer on elk for me. And I wonder if I could squeeze it into the SAUM or WSM case and AICS mags.

215 hybrid with a 300 SAUM case. I never worked up a load before I sold the rifle, however.

I went 300wsm. The 7mms are great too if you handload. Lot of factory 300wsm options though and you can get better bullet selection with a 30 cal in my opinion. I'd stay away from a 6.5 for larger game though. It can be done, but why risk it? I'd want a bullet at least 180 grains.

Reactions: BCX
Probably the older TSX. The t-tsx I’ve never seen one not expand.
It was. I will most likely always load accubonds for Elk. No reason at this point to change unless they outlaw lead bullets for hunting, and I'm sure it will happen at some point.

As long as they they shoot well! I got lucky and the ttsx shoot insanely well in my rifle. I shoot the 110 ttsx in a 308 and 300 ttsx in a 458

Reactions: Swampr42
I have used TSX and TTSX for hunting for many years. The key is to push them fast. I have had the pedals break off and create multiple would paths but the shank always exits like a solid to break bone..

Reactions: generalzip
I had a winchester 358 built while I was out in Oregon. Its real thick on the west side. I guess caliber is all about where you're hunting and personal preference.