• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Steyr Scout 308 any good ?

Vuilhond

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2014
South Africa
Hey Guys,

I currently own a Steyr Mannlicher 30-06 Classic halfstock which I am very pleased with both in terms of quality and accuracy. I have to date hunted exclusively in Africa ( South Africa and Namibia) and this rifle works for most anything I've come across in the African bush ( apart from ticks).

While I thus cannot objectively justify buying another rifle, the boy inside me is itching for another toy....

So, I'm now looking to add the the Steyr Scout to the my collection, chambered in 308 and I'm planning on putting a moose silencer on the rifle. My questions thus:

1. Does anyone own a Steyr Scout in this caliber and what is your experience with it ?
2. Does it have a free-floating barrel ?
3. Would you be able the put a silencer on it given the short barrel area remaining outside the stock ?
4. Has anyone tested this rifle and caliber with a silencer at long ranges ( up to 300m onwards).

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Vuilhond

Last edited:
Also interested to know whether the scout will produce sub MOA accuracy using match ammo/hand loads

DISCLAIMER - I dont own the Scout.

Ive got a friend who has one, its a sweet shooting rifle. His has maybe 5k through it. It hovers around MOA with FGMM 168/175. We were at a range in SOCAL and he was shooting clay pigeons out of the air with that rifle.

If I ever see one for sale at the same time when I have the money I am picking one up.

I've had 2 of them. 7mm-08 and .308. I'm still a fan, but put my money into other rifles, including 2 Steyr SSG08's.

Barrels are free floated, sub moa accuracy is no problem with good ammo.

I don't know what a Moose Silencer is, but the standard Scouts have a non threaded, really thin barrel. So don't know if it will work.

Perfect bush hunting rifle. Ching Sling is a must too.

Check this site out too: The Steyr Scout Rifle Page

Everything lcjones said. Also, it is a good hunting rifle that is not to heavy to carry around. I don't own one, I have a ssg04 in 308. But I did try one out before I bought my ssg04. I went with ssg04 because I wad looking for a bench gun.

I used to have one in the Jeff Cooper package. It shot sub-MOA with my loads and was a great rifle to carry in the field. I took it to Namibia on a plains game hunt and it did very well, I did sell it when I got back and picked up the .376 version in its place. Mounting a supressor might be tough to do though, the barrel is very thin.

good rifle but wont do anything an AR in 308 can't

Except weigh half as much.

I like the scouts.

I like my 308 ARs.

Not the same thing.

If you want a light, easy to carry rifle that packs a punch out to 200 yards, get a 30/30.

If you want a steyer scout, buy one. Great rifle. Can't say a bad thing about them.

I no longer own one--mostly because optics technology has advanced over the last 35-40 years.

A modern 1-6 power optic like this vortex razor: Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6X24 JM-1 BDC Reticle - 30mm Scope Tube RZR-16003

Is so much more useful than the forward mounted scope of Jeff Cooper's day.

Today, I would buy the steyer and put the above scope on it. That would be awesome!

BMT

I've got one in .243, awesome hunting rifle. Lightweight and accurate. This thread makes me want to dig it out of the safe, haven't shot it in years.

Thanks for the input thus far guys...seems thus far the jury has a thumbs up on this one...

Being able to put a silencer on it or not will be the make or break here I guess. Anyone have any idea if putting a threaded silencer on it is possible - especially considering the both thin and fluted barrel ?

At one point there was a company in the US that had a muzzle brake that they would thread the barrel and install on the .376s. They are no longer doing this work though, at least last I heard they had stopped:

The Big Bore Steyr Scout

I'm guessing that the .308 could be threaded, it may require a custom diameter and adapter to get to a standard suppressors thread. Whether it's a good idea is another question. Have you asked Steyr? They have always been helpful whenever I have had questions.

Adding a picture of a mountain zebra taken with my Scout in Namibia. It was a 200yd shot off sticks, the zebra was quartering towards us, one shot through the lungs with a 165gr TTSX.

Attachments

• Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: hgr2