• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Toxic masculinity in the form of DE Safety Razors

Merkur 18C, Gillette Blue blades, 1960 production scavenged from Red Cross storage, Kell's Original Ultra Fat Aloe/Hemp blend cakes, and since no USA company makes a good alum block, Turkish Alum via Amazon. I've become so adept with the DE that it is rare when I cut myself now, so the alum block sits unused most of the year

Great stuff guys! I snooped around on bager and blade forum and found this place http://thesuperiorshave.com/397/
I purchase some things from him, super responsive and answered all my questions. Great guy to deal with, has some good videos on youtube also. Ill be needing an alternative to gillette's gel deodorant as it seems about everything else causes irritation. Any recommendations?

I bought a 20 pack of Mach III blades at Sam's before Gillette went full, toxic retard (they've been retarded for a while). I change blades about once a month. I have more than a year before I have to find an alternative. I have an Norelco when I'm pressed for time, and it works well enough that you look clean shaven, but it doesn't give you the smooth like a razor.

I will switch to something else when they run out, as even now I can't stop thinking I support retards whenever I shave.

Reactions: whiskeytower
The safety razor is the way to go. You will have to find one that suits you. Some are mild like the 34C, or you can go more aggressive like the R41. Then there is finding a razor to pair it with. Pmeds, feathers, P silvers will be some of the best ones. Derby etc that come in the sampler packs are crap really.

I have found that going with a more aggressive razor, then toning it down a bit with blade choice has been better for me.

If you travel, just get some cream in a tube, but its nothing like having a tub of castle forbes lathered up.

In the end, there is more up front cost.....but after your settled in, you will wonder why you did not do this sooner. You can actually go 2 years on a 100 pack of blades if you want and a tub of good cream will last 6 months.

Go to geofatboy on youtube and watch this guys vids, he does all kinds of razors.

I have tried a bunch of different blades. There is a guy who put all kinds of blades under an electron microscope too. The Derby and Astro were actually very good compared to many. Those are my favorites too. Feathers are some of the best but much more. Try some different blades and see what you like but I do not agree with derby and astra as garbage. No the newer gilletts I found or maybe came with an old Gillette razor I bought off ebay was the worst I have ever used. Dull and cut the crap out of my face.

Gillette customer intructions:

R

The thing to remember is that every blade cuts differently to each user. I love feathers and Pmeds the most. Astra is ok and derby was junk. You can shave blindfolded in the shower with an astra tho with no fear of cuts.

I still think a good cream makes the shave.....which many fail to spend good money on.

Ive got a Merkur 38C. Its the long handle version of the 34C... I recommend it over the 34 personally speaking...

Ive been wanting to try a slant bar(37c), but havent made an order for anything shaving related in like 3 years.

I would be VERY careful using an adjustable DE until you get the hang of it. There is a reason the 34/38's are top sellers and timeless designs.

As far as soaps, you will find a handful of go-to's on Badger & Blade... Proraso, MWF(Mitchell's Wool Fat), DE Harris, Tabac(for Tabactober), etc... buy them all. I buy from West Coast Shaving. They sell little aluminum tins for like 3 bucks, then you can buy the "refill" pucks of soap for half the price of the ones in a fancy container. Last time I bought soap 3 or 4 years ago I think I bought 8... im down to my last 2(Tabac and a DR Harris of some kind).

Blades: buy a sampler of like 8-10 different blade types(should get like 5 or so of each blade)... I run Feathers. I also liked Derby's, but for me its Feathers all the way.

Brushes: again reviews on B&B will put you in the right place. I wouldnt spend more than 40-50 on your first. If I remember the Simpson Special S1 Best Badger was recommended a lot and thats what I got...

Reactions: canman
Bought a bunch of blade sampler packs.

Got an email from the company I bought my razor from. Must be small business as it was personal not just computer generated. he was excited about the razor I bought and glad to hear there is such interest in this older art of shaving.

Bought a bunch of sample packs of blades from one of the links posted in this thread - Feathers, Wilkinson, the better names mentioned here to be tried.

When I take my first shave Ill be starting with the most closed setting and working my way up. Dont want to look like this guy....

Got an alum block to be on the safe side.

Remember once when I was a kid finding my Dads butterfly top razor and standing by the sink pretending to shave. I ran that thing down my face without a care in the world dry. I was kind of shocked when I twisted the handle and realized it had a blade in it. I felt a moment of relief that I had avoided slicing my throat.

Im under the impression these bad boys arent any more dangerous than the disposables I currently scrape on my face.

Reactions: 12Bravo
For anyone who likes watching a craftsman work. Mastro Livi is one of the few remaining craftsman that can hand grind a extra full double hollow edge. Here’s a vid of him start to finish making a straight razor. It’s subtitled cause he only speaks Italian.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Remember to go slow...this is not like shaving with a mass market cartridge where we tend to apply more pressure and speed.

I shave after a shower so my stubble is softer.

3 passes will get a perfect shave when you have good technique.

Lastly, do not get discouraged, this is a learning process.

@rjacobs you might think about trying the R41 open comb, it's the bomb.

@rjacobs you might think about trying the R41 open comb, it's the bomb.

The reason I am contemplating a slant is because my facial hair is coarse and slants are supposed to be good for that. Im going to order SOMETHING when I order soaps next time, but it will likely be later this year. I only shave at home once a week or so, so supplies last me a LONG time. I cant travel with a DE either.

The reason I am contemplating a slant is because my facial hair is coarse and slants are supposed to be good for that. Im going to order SOMETHING when I order soaps next time, but it will likely be later this year. I only shave at home once a week or so, so supplies last me a LONG time. I cant travel with a DE either.

I have a 34C also. Its on the very mild side, but a good learner. The R41 is very aggressive in comparison. Pair it with a feather and it will shave a nats ass.

I would consider an open comb like it if your shaving once a week.

I would consider an open comb like it if your shaving once a week.

I shave more than once a week, but at home only once a week. I travel for a living 3-4 days a week so I shave on the road with a cartridge razor of some kind(probably a Gillette mach 35 or some shit) because I cant carry a DE with me, otherwise I would carry a DE with me.

Im still working through a 50 pack of Feathers I bought at least 5 years ago. I typically go a month(4-5 shaves) on 1 blade, so 10 blades in a pack lasts me almost a whole year.

RJacob’s-west coast shaving has a leather carry case you can use to travel with. If I travelled quite a bit. I would have it already

RJacob’s-west coast shaving has a leather carry case you can use to travel with. If I travelled quite a bit. I would have it already

The issue is TSA unless you check your luggage and the razor goes in the plane storage.

I dont think anyone has an issue "checking" their razor.

I think the ones that have mentioned the issue are savvy travelers that fly carry on only.

I love my Merkur 34c. I used to use Bluebird razors (probably the same thing as Gillette Silver Blue) - when those ran out I bought a 100 pack of Gillette Silver Blues. When those run out - I don't know if I'll stick to Gillette or try something else.

A few years ago when I ditched the overpriced multi blade heads (Mach 3?) I bought a variety pack of razors so the I could try different brands. The Feathers are probably my second choice but all of them worked ok - especially for the price!

you guys every see a old school razor that had a "continuous" blade.

grandfather had one in his bathroom we used to look at (never touch he'd slap us)
if i remember it was almost like a roll of spring steel and as the blade became dull you would turn a knob on the other side which would drag out new blade.

tried a few old school blades over the years, just never found the right aggressiveness. my beard is like wire so i had a really crappy shave or ingrown hair heaven

grandfather had one in his bathroom we used to look at (never touch he'd slap us)
if i remember it was almost like a roll of spring steel and as the blade became dull you would turn a knob on the other side which would drag out new blade.

tried a few old school blades over the years, just never found the right aggressiveness. my beard is like wire so i had a really crappy shave or ingrown hair heaven

Never saw that style blade but as we are talking nostalgia.....

Ever open a bathroom wall behind an old above the sink medicine cabinet?

How non green is it that medicine cabinets were designed with a slot in the back to allow used blades to be dropped and spend eternity decomposing between wall studs?

Fucking awesome use of wasted space.

In line with that thinking there should be a hole in the ceiling next to every light fixture to allow us to shove old light bulbs up into the rafters rather than toss them in the trash.

Reactions: brianf
The issue is TSA unless you check your luggage and the razor goes in the plane storage.

I dont think anyone has an issue "checking" their razor.

I think the ones that have mentioned the issue are savvy travelers that fly carry on only.

Im an airline pilot and rarely go through "security" anymore, BUT we're subject to random screening to make sure we arent bringing prohibited items through. Would any of the TSA stooges even know what a DE razor was? doubtful, but its still a big no-no and I dont want to lose the privilege we have of using an alternate way through security.

Reactions: pmclaine
Im an airline pilot and rarely go through "security" anymore, BUT we're subject to random screening to make sure we arent bringing prohibited items through. Would any of the TSA stooges even know what a DE razor was? doubtful, but its still a big no-no and I dont want to lose the privilege we have of using an alternate way through security.

Yes Im thinking the TSA would eventually know what the DE is after breaking it to figure out what it is.

Coming back from Florida in April they went up my families ass because when traveling with my diabetic daughter we pack a lot of food and some devices to treat her condition.

Forgot the small 1920s period brass USMC emblem on my repro WWII herringbone cover I was wearing when I went through the scanner and that caused issues.

I think we were flying out of Southwest Florida Intl.

What may be a problem for me is I will generally shave in the shower.

It ensures a good wetting and saves time via multi tasking, not to mention having to try and wash stubble out of the sink.

Having abandoned Gillette and the shave foam I used to use I found this stuff...

View attachment 7088348

I like it alot.

It certainly improved the performance of my shitty three blade Gillette disposables.

Hoping it will be found suitable for DE safety razor use.
This and a safety razor is what I have used for the past few years.
Great stuff and requires very little to remove a few days worth of stubble

Ah TSA security. I figured their was an underlying problem I wasn't seeing. It absolutely amazes me what TSA restricts. Especially when it comes to crew and people on board. Captain..I am sorry you can't take that DE razor on board. You might cut yourself on-board the aircraft or that hijacker smashing through the door....We can't have that.

"Little do they know, that crash axe on board can do a lot worse" Never mind the other stuff on board that can do way more damage to the aircraft.....

As you will notice, there are many razors and many more blades to choose from. While the 34C is a good starter, its not very aggressive, even when pairing it with a feather. Buying just any safety razor and some blade you found is not going to be very conducive for a good experience. If you have wires for whiskers, then the R41(open comb) with a feather should do the trick.

All this is before getting into shaving creams, bowls, aftershaves, and brushes.....which are very important also.

The main thing, is to stop paying all your dam money for cartridges.

Here is the bowl I use. The bumps help to make a great lather quickly.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/651430...ref=sr_gallery-2-8&referring_page_type=market

Reactions: brianf

Ah, the old Gillette Techmatic. probably the worst innovation Gillette foisted on mankind until their recent SJW ads. You can still find them and refills on fleabay if you have money you want to waste.

Got my supplies.......

P6068636.JPG

Nice, vendors included some samples.

Blades look to be made from Egypt to Russia....the Russian ones being Gillette of course.

Where are feathers made?

Parker Variant and some voskod blades. 7.50/100 on Amazon. Nearly as sharp as a feather for a quarter of the price.

It’s been mentioned a few times, so now I’m curious.

Is there any real desire/demand amongst shaving enthusiasts for hand made straight razors?

Is there any real desire/demand amongst shaving enthusiasts for hand made straight razors?

Im guessing the truly committed shaver fanboys would find a handmade straight very appealing.

Me Id be interested in a BushCraft size something similar to this...

Thick ass carbon steel spine with ultra 90 degree edge for use with sparking steel, perhaps some sort of notch or design in the blade guard for shaving magnesium, a coffin shaped handle perhaps in some sort of faux ivory or an antique black walnut I could probably source from an old M1 Garand stock than just linseed oil finish, brass fittings, lash points on the guard, lanyard hole at the hilt, a flat striking pommel, either a leather belt hanger sheath for ease of getting out of the way in vehicles and perhaps a Coyote kydex sheath for use on a gun belt. Figure to size the thing on the smaller end of sheath knife dimensions - not a KaBar at 12 inches but maybe try to stay in the 8-9 inch OAL length range.

But I dont know Id have to think about it.

Dont I have enough knives?

Im guessing the truly committed shaver fanboys would find a handmade straight very appealing.

Me Id be interested in a BushCraft size something similar to this...

View attachment 7090560

Thick ass carbon steel spine with ultra 90 degree edge for use with sparking steel, perhaps some sort of notch or design in the blade guard for shaving magnesium, a coffin shaped handle perhaps in some sort of faux ivory or an antique black walnut I could probably source from an old M1 Garand stock than just linseed oil finish, brass fittings, lash points on the guard, lanyard hole at the hilt, a flat striking pommel, either a leather belt hanger sheath for ease of getting out of the way in vehicles and perhaps a Coyote kydex sheath for use on a gun belt. Figure to size the thing on the smaller end of sheath knife dimensions - not a KaBar at 12 inches but maybe try to stay in the 8-9 inch OAL length range.

But I dont know Id have to think about it.

Dont I have enough knives?

Send me a PM and we’ll talk. Sounds like you like the same kind of stuff I do, and that’s fun for me as a maker.

What may be a problem for me is I will generally shave in the shower.
That shouldn’t be a problem at all. I have been shaving in the shower with a brush, soap, and various razors for over a decade. I can’t stand shaving over the sink.

Look up Mastro Livi. He is an Italian razor maker. His razors go from $500 up to several thousands. All handmade by one guy. There are also pretty interesting YouTube videos that follow him making a razor start to finish.

Usually use a Colgans signal mirror but Im finding that DE razor can be a two hand process.

Finding Im getting a better shave on my face but still have to learn technique to get under my jaw line.
Yeah, jawline and under is where most people have problems.