• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Toxic masculinity in the form of DE Safety Razors

Also....

If you have a pre-shave oil with eucalyptus, phenol, and rosemary that acts as a natural anti-irritant and numbing agent. Throw oil on, lather the brush, put lather on top of oil. Shave with direction of growth first, rinse with warm water, re-lather, shave across growth, rinse warm, lather, shave against growth (very gently), rinse with cold water to close pores.

'Murica.

That's what I do. I keep it simple with a Merkur 34 and cheap blades. I change them very often though. Depending on how my skin feels I'll either finish with Brut or Pinaud aftershave or with some Nivea after shave balm.

I've had a beard (with a few very short breaks) since 1997. I shaved it off two months ago for my daughter's confirmation sacrament and I actually like the way I look much better.

Part of the reason was that I'm just fed up with the stupid ass cliche of bearded gun guy that I see at every match I go to. Few things are more fun than showing up at an IDPA match clean shaven and concealing with a sportcoat then burning down every stage and beating 99% of the Glock-carrying, operator beard-wearing, 5.11-everything, never served a day in uniform tactical timmies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
That's what I do. I keep it simple with a Merkur 34 and cheap blades. I change them very often though. Depending on how my skin feels I'll either finish with Brut or Pinaud aftershave or with some Nivea after shave balm.

I've had a beard (with a few very short breaks) since 1997. I shaved it off two months ago for my daughter's confirmation sacrament and I actually like the way I look much better.

Part of the reason was that I'm just fed up with the stupid ass cliche of bearded gun guy that I see at every match I go to. Few things are more fun than showing up at an IDPA match clean shaven and concealing with a sportcoat then burning down every stage and beating 99% of the Glock-carrying, operator beard-wearing, 5.11-everything, never served a day in uniform tactical timmies.

Damn dude was that you I took that Sig Defensive Rifle class with?

Last edited:
Look up Mastro Livi. He is an Italian razor maker. His razors go from $500 up to several thousands. All handmade by one guy. There are also pretty interesting YouTube videos that follow him making a razor start to finish.

I think you misunderstood me. I am not looking for one. I am a one man shop, I hand forge and hand make knives. I’m not Italian though.

Cost me money but the performance will be worth it.

Looks good enough my wife wont be pissed seeing it sit on the bathroom vanity.

Something to think about is shaving cream. Soaps require more skill to make a good lather over creams.

Exactly!! Tacticool guys are silly. I can't really grow a "beard" per se. No male in my family can really. When I switch careers coming up soon, I may do a van dyke and start drinking craft beer... or something like that. I may blend in with the hipster crowd if I wear a flannel shirt in southern California and figure out what their next antifa move is ???????

Exactly!! Tacticool guys are silly. I can't really grow a "beard" per se. No male in my family can really. When I switch careers coming up soon, I may do a van dyke and start drinking craft beer... or something like that. I may blend in with the hipster crowd if I wear a flannel shirt in southern California and figure out what their next antifa move is ???????

I believe a Van Dyke is referred to as a "Bullseye" in some parts of the country......just sayin.

I think you misunderstood me. I am not looking for one. I am a one man shop, I hand forge and hand make knives. I’m not Italian though.

Yes, yes you are and you make very nice cutty things.

We will continue to talk.

Bought a mirror.

Hook will allow me to hang it where as My Coglans wont.

Made in the USA by people that have different abilities great bonus!

Happy to support them.

Bought direct from their website.

Fuck Bezos.
You will like it. If it starts getting gunky just wipe it with a washcloth and it will shine right back up.

Reactions: pmclaine

No, just showing you that there is demand for a one man shop to produce high quality and expensive razors that people will buy.

Great there goes my affordable knife conversation......

• Haha
Reactions: bourbonbent
Negative ghost rider, we’re still G2G.
Im not trying to run up prices on y'all, just showing there is a market.

I am amazed at the items people will buy. I am happy with a $16 razor, and a $15 brush. Some people will spend $300 on a de razor (more for straight razors), and some buy $300 brushes. There is a market for it, but it sure as heck isnt me!!

If you guys want the best performing cheap stuff, I can point you in the right direction.

No, just showing you that there is demand for a one man shop to produce high quality and expensive razors that people will buy.

I hate how easy it is to misinterpret things on the internet. I’m with you now.

I do high end bowie knives and daggers, art knives and hard use ones, insanely thin hollow ground stuff, super thick, in between, down and dirty bowies and pig stickers, etc. I believe in versatility and doing the best work I can. I haven’t done straight razors, simply because I don’t shave and haven’t actually had anyone looking for one. They’re simple to forge and grind, and simple in construction. The devil is always in the details, and I’m neurotic at best with details.

I started making knives because I couldn’t afford ones from makers I wanted them from, just to see if I could do it, and it turned into my life’s passion.

I’m not gonna further derail this thread, but if anyone wants to talk shop, just PM me. I’m also more than happy to show anyone that wants to learn the ropes. Be that forging, stock removal, heat treat, finish work, handle work, design, tips and tricks, etc. That’s the entire reason I have a YouTube channel, I want to do my part to make sure the forged blade endures, and the other skills entailed in making one as well.

Have a good weekend.

Reactions: Bender
Something to think about is shaving cream. Soaps require more skill to make a good lather over creams.
True. I started with soap and promptly switched to creams. Cremo and Hagen are my go to.

I am amazed at the items people will buy. I am happy with a $16 razor, and a $15 brush. Some people will spend $300 on a de razor (more for straight razors), and some buy $300 brushes. There is a market for it, but it sure as heck isnt me!!

If you guys want the best performing cheap stuff, I can point you in the right direction.

I dont want "cheap"

I want quality.

and if an American provides it mo'better.

True. I started with soap and promptly switched to creams. Cremo and Hagen are my go to.

Tried making my first lather last night.

Think I need more technique work and think the bumpy bowl will enhance the process.

Pretty impressed with Cremo though - simple and works.

I hate how easy it is to misinterpret things on the internet. I’m with you now.

I do high end bowie knives and daggers, art knives and hard use ones, insanely thin hollow ground stuff, super thick, in between, down and dirty bowies and pig stickers, etc. I believe in versatility and doing the best work I can. I haven’t done straight razors, simply because I don’t shave and haven’t actually had anyone looking for one. They’re simple to forge and grind, and simple in construction. The devil is always in the details, and I’m neurotic at best with details.

I started making knives because I couldn’t afford ones from makers I wanted them from, just to see if I could do it, and it turned into my life’s passion.

I’m not gonna further derail this thread, but if anyone wants to talk shop, just PM me. I’m also more than happy to show anyone that wants to learn the ropes. Be that forging, stock removal, heat treat, finish work, handle work, design, tips and tricks, etc. That’s the entire reason I have a YouTube channel, I want to do my part to make sure the forged blade endures, and the other skills entailed in making one as well.

Have a good weekend.

My comment was facetious.

Saying stupid stuff on the internet - its what I do.

BB and I have been in talks about a knife design.

All is good to go!

I dont want "cheap"

I want quality.

and if an American provides it mo'better.
I guess I should have said “value” instead of cheap.

There are tons of high quality artisan shave soap makers in the US. One of my favorites is also run by a military vet if that helps.

For brushes and razors its harder to find any us made ones. Especially brushes. I cant think of a single brush that has an american made knot (bristles). There are some small shops turning brush handles in the us, but I think all the knots they use are imported.

I guess I should have said “value” instead of cheap.

There are tons of high quality artisan shave soap makers in the US. One of my favorites is also run by a military vet if that helps.

For brushes and razors its harder to find any us made ones. Especially brushes. I cant think of a single brush that has an american made knot (bristles). There are some small shops turning brush handles in the us, but I think all the knots they use are imported.

There are two US made DE manufacturers Rockwell and Rex.

Reveiews were mixed.

I went for a refurbed 1958 product that all the reviews opined "Why cant we get one like that anymore.

Paid more for it but its quality warms the cockles of my cockles.

I dont know somethings wrong with me....Id take one pinned/recessed Smith and Wesson six shooter over a dozen Glocks any day.

Im not disagreeing with your deffinition of value.

Truth be told I should have bought a Merkur 34C.....it just wouldnt have given me the sense of awe the nickle plaed antique does.

No

Now THAT is a beard. An actual no bullshit fucking live ass 4 legged tooth and claw having bear would be jealous of that thing.

Mine keeps getting set on fire when I forge, so it basically trims itself.

Shit probably lives in it, not small shit either, Im guessing like a badger, possibly two.

Better than a Trunk Monkey.....a Beard Badger

There are two US made DE manufacturers Rockwell and Rex.

Reveiews were mixed.

I went for a refurbed 1958 product that all the reviews opined "Why cant we get one like that anymore.

Paid more for it but its quality warms the cockles of my cockles.

I dont know somethings wrong with me....Id take one pinned/recessed Smith and Wesson six shooter over a dozen Glocks any day.

Im not disagreeing with your deffinition of value.

Truth be told I should have bought a Merkur 34C.....it just wouldnt have given me the sense of awe the nickle plaed antique does.

Yeah, I cant drop $250 for the rex, and I think only the higher end rockwell stuff is made in usa.

I know some of the personna blades are made in the usa. I find them to be ok, but not my favorites.

Two of my favorite soaps, both made in usa.

No affiliation, just a happy customer of both.

Yeah, I cant drop $250 for the rex, and I think only the higher end rockwell stuff is made in usa.

I know some of the personna blades are made in the usa. I find them to be ok, but not my favorites.

Im using a personna now and not in love but that may be due to this only the second time holding one of these razors in over 40 years. Ill go back to them when I get some skill.

Going to try a Gillette blue or Wilkinson tonight.

Gillettes were a "freebie" with the razor even if I like em I wont buy em.

Shit probably lives in it, not small shit either, Im guessing like a badger, possibly two.

Better than a Trunk Monkey.....a Beard Badger

That’s the best fucking idea ever. Beard Badger. You’d have to steal it at birth and raise it in the beard. Key words for attack of the Beard Badger: “I’m done with this shit”, “oh hell naw”, etc, and B2 is deployed.

Wargaming it, I’d probably need to make myself a leather neck jacket to protect against the launch when B2 is deployed, like cowboy cuffs, but for beard based badger deployment.

That’s the best fucking idea ever. Beard Badger. You’d have to steal it at birth and raise it in the beard. Key words for attack of the Beard Badger: “I’m done with this shit”, “oh hell naw”, etc, and B2 is deployed.

Wargaming it, I’d probably need to make myself a leather neck jacket to protect against the launch when B2 is deployed, like cowboy cuffs, but for beard based badger deployment.
Lol. Thats some badger love right there!

• Haha
Two of my favorite soaps, both made in usa.

No affiliation, just a happy customer of both.

Appreciate the recommendations.

Have bought a few things recommended here.

Have like 5-6 creams/soaps to try.

Being metrosexual, hipster like is spendy, dont know how Matt Best does it....

Im partial to a mint based soap that leaves that "cool mentholated" sensation on your skin. Cremo "Mint" does that.

Im partial to a mint based soap that leaves that "cool mentholated" sensation on your skin. Cremo "Mint" does that.

Stirling has soaps that have a little menthol added, or the “glacial” line has a LOT of menthol added. Also several mint scents in the lineup. I think the owners (husband and wife) are both veterans.

Stirling has soaps that have a little menthol added, or the “glacial” line has a LOT of menthol added. Also several mint scents in the lineup. I think the owners (husband and wife) are both veterans.

"Glacial Line" and pube shaving sound slike a dangerous prospect.....

Im guessing the truly committed shaver fanboys would find a handmade straight very appealing.

Me Id be interested in a BushCraft size something similar to this...

View attachment 7090560

Thick ass carbon steel spine with ultra 90 degree edge for use with sparking steel, perhaps some sort of notch or design in the blade guard for shaving magnesium, a coffin shaped handle perhaps in some sort of faux ivory or an antique black walnut I could probably source from an old M1 Garand stock than just linseed oil finish, brass fittings, lash points on the guard, lanyard hole at the hilt, a flat striking pommel, either a leather belt hanger sheath for ease of getting out of the way in vehicles and perhaps a Coyote kydex sheath for use on a gun belt. Figure to size the thing on the smaller end of sheath knife dimensions - not a KaBar at 12 inches but maybe try to stay in the 8-9 inch OAL length range.

But I dont know Id have to think about it.

Dont I have enough knives?

I'm looking at that and thinking, hmmmm nice design, with the AKM77 grinder and hollow grind fixture, I could do this, but the welder, forge, anvil, and auto hammer are a ways off.

I can't even work my brother's straight razor til I get at least a 8" grinder to hollow grind with it.

But I'll say this, every blade I've made is shaving sharp(I use the edge of my hand)

Tried making my first lather last night.

Think I need more technique work and think the bumpy bowl will enhance the process.

Pretty impressed with Cremo though - simple and works.

If you let your wife use it, you may never get it back.

If you let your wife use it, you may never get it back.

She is already digging the Cremo.

The shit on the front about it being a "90 Day Supply" is a lie when two are using it and one is shaving a quarter of their body.

Night four of double edging it.

Starting to figure it out....short stroke and move on.

Get the angle right so you can hear the whiskers being cut.

Opened the adjustment to 5 from a start of 1. Tomorrow Ill try 6.

Definitely better shaving at the sink until I get a mirror in the shower that will allow me to stretch the skin.

I think tonight I figured out how to get the under jaw area - stretch the skin as much as possible so its not under your jaw any more than hit it with short strokes and move on.

Finding the Gillette Blue blades are better than the Personna. Might just be that Im getting better at using the DE. Savung the Feathers for last as everyone says that is the be all end all.

Son is already fucking with my razor like I fucked with my old mans. Found it coated with one inch long blond hairs. Told him Ill get him his own when he starts shaving and he needs to stay away from my antique.

I remember warnings from my dad not to play with his razor. He would always clean it well, dry it off and put the setting back where he used it.
He always knew when we fucked with it because we could hear him swearing because of all the nicks he was getting. Dad would come out of the bathroom with pieces of toilet paper after using the styptic pen.
That was a long time ago but it seems like yesterday after reading this thread.

Reactions: Bender

really?

Ive never had a problem and I only use soaps. Ive also never used a "bowl", I simply use the bowl or whatever the soap puck comes in.

Stick the brush under the faucet for a minute or two, put some water in the bowl/container the soap puck is in and let it set a bit. Pour the water out of the container, start working the brush in the soap puck... tons of lather. Some soap is better at lather than others. DR Harris has always produced tons of lather, proraso same, MWF is pretty good, tabac is not as much lather.

Reactions: robb_va
Definitely better shaving at the sink until I get a mirror in the shower that will allow me to stretch the skin.

I exclusively shave at the sink.

I dont think I could shave in the shower, even with a mirror.

really?

Ive never had a problem and I only use soaps. Ive also never used a "bowl", I simply use the bowl or whatever the soap puck comes in.

Stick the brush under the faucet for a minute or two, put some water in the bowl/container the soap puck is in and let it set a bit. Pour the water out of the container, start working the brush in the soap puck... tons of lather. Some soap is better at lather than others. DR Harris has always produced tons of lather, proraso same, MWF is pretty good, tabac is not as much lather.

Last night was my best DE shaving effort yet.

Being at the sink was part of that but I think because I also used a shave oil prior to shaving it actually helped.

I had the oil in my sink drawer for I dont know how long my wife gave it to me years ago. Seeing it I decided to try it.

Shit is gooey. After rubbing it on my face I was like "How do I get this shit off my hands" Paper towled that crap away so I could securely hold my razor.

Im thinking Ill get a bottle of shave oil at some point.

I generally hate oils on/near my face but in this case I think the razor takes it clean away as it does its shaving thing and my face didnt feel as if it had been in a tub of CLP afterwards.

This is such a gay thing but Im actually jacked about my new shaving crap.

I dont use oil of any kind. Only occasionally will I use a mens face lotion afterwards(if I havent shaved in a week or two).

I wash my face in the shower with a Neutrogena oil free face wash.

Shaving after the shower gives a chance for the hair on the face to soften, pores to open, etc... Its the same principle of why you get a "hot towel" shave at a barber shop. They are trying to soften up the hair on the face. A proper hot towel will actually have shaving soap/cream worked into it as the shaving soaps will also help soften the hair.

Reactions: wilson1911
What your referring to is "super lather"....you can mix oil with your shaving cream.

Other than going slow, shaving after a hot shower is the best to get things softened up.

Razor Disposal

Both the lime and lavender are great. 1 fingernail divet will make a mountain of cream.

Castle Forbes

How many passes are you making ?

I firmly believe there are 3 things a man can do to set himself apart.
1 a good shave, which can only be accomplished with DE or straight razors.
2 a nice cologne
3 a nice watch

Classy women will notice this. If your wife decides to go this route, its highly recommended. Everything will become baby butt smooth....