• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Toxic masculinity in the form of DE Safety Razors

If you marry for money you end up earning it.
-Ancient Chinese Proverb
I actually think she's attractive even if she weren't swimming in money. She might be a total bitch, but if I were single I'd be willing to find out.

Bumping an old thread, I know, but I tried the Voskhod teflon coated blades and WOW am I sold!!! I've tried around 15 or so different blade companies from Feather to Bic and everything in between. I had previously used Feather, Astra, and Merkur, but the Voskhod gave me a fantastic shave and best of all, $8 for 100! A blade lasts me 4 shaves, which is all I need for my work week.

Sadly, out of the sample pack of blades I bought, the Gillette blades are my favorite.

I started this to boycott Gillette.

I'll try Voshkod and see if Russian collusion is my answer. I liked Rapira but they only last 2-3 shaves.

I'm still going through my sample packs. This DE shaving is cheap.

I use a Star three piece. It was new never used when my Dad gave it to me in the 60's when I started shaving. I don't know when he got it but it was his never used spare and he had it a long time for sure.It's the only razor I've ever used except for the one I got issued. I know there is better razors made now but it works and it's a reassuring way to start the day.

I use a Star three piece. It was new never used when my Dad gave it to me in the 60's when I started shaving. I don't know when he got it but it was his never used spare and he had it a long time for sure.It's the only razor I've ever used except for the one I got issued. I know there is better razors made now but it works and it's a reassuring way to start the day.

Shaving has become a little ritual I kind of appreciate if I have the time to do it.

If I dont have time I still have some disposables on hand to make quick work of that shit but if I have time Im like the chick that lights candles and sprinkles her tub with rose petals for a long soak in the bath.

My kids know not to screw with me while lathered up.

Sadly I broke my "dottie" shaving mug the other night.

New different style in route (has a thumb loop so I dont drop it - hopefully). Good people to deal with.

Sadly, out of the sample pack of blades I bought, the Gillette blades are my favorite.

I'll try Voshkod and see if Russian collusion is my answer. I liked Rapira but they only last 2-3 shaves.

The Gillette blades, in spite of the company's stupidity, are excellent, but are more expensive when compared to the other blades. If I remember correctly, Gillette blue costs about twice as much as the Voskhod. Not terrible, since they're still less than 100 Feather blades, but the Feathers keep their edge a bit longer, in my opinion.

Reactions: Centuriator
The Gillette blades, in spite of the company's stupidity, are excellent, but are more expensive when compared to the other blades. If I remember correctly, Gillette blue costs about twice as much as the Voskhod. Not terrible, since they're still less than 100 Feather blades, but the Feathers keep their edge a bit longer, in my opinion.

Despite expecting Feathers to be my favorite as they are with just about every other reviewer not so in my case.

I like the Gillette Silver/Blue and can get up to 5 shaves with them.

Feathers kind of suck on the first shave, get better on the second, but still dont pass the silver/blue.

Rapiras work good but fade quick 4 shaves is pushing it.

Some of thses blades kind of worry me.

One of the samples I got was manufactured in Egypt. Has me thinking about the discoverer of King Tut dying after a mosquito bite he had was nicked while shaving and he died of infection.

I don't know what happened, but the last Astras I tried were garbage. I don't know what they changed, but they irritated the hell out of my neck. The Personas didn't do it for me. Lots of knicks, lots of irritation. The Bic blades I tried were possibly THE WORST blades I've ever tried. Just goes to show what works for me might not work for you.

I'm with you, @pmclaine, on the ritual of shaving. It takes me about ten minutes to finish my shaving ritual, but it's MY time!

a good single blade shave and a hot towel almost makes me want to shave again ,

Reactions: 12Bravo
Y'all really messed me up with this thread to start with. Now I have seasonal shave soap......... I been using Feather blades (I get about 5-6 shaves out of them. Stirling shave soap of various scents. The best part is the ritual of the lather ect. I really enjoy a night shave with some scotch and the radio. I been looking at a soap bowl with little nobbys on it. Just what i needed another hobby. LOL

Fuck Gillete and their new brand message. Tried Dorco, decent but not as sharp. Now using Harry's and gives a nice clean shave. Dollar store shaving cream or even hair conditioner works for shaving in the shower. Its the KISS method and works.

Reactions: whiskeytower
Continuing my effort to limit my ability to buy any consumer product as manufacturers take on SJW issues and call for the banning of guns I have targeted Gillette for elimination from my places to spend money.

My current Gillette disposable is showing that the wear strip is about to fall off which is to me the signal to dispose and replace.

I've known this would be coming and have been researching Double edge safety razors - those little mechanical devices our fathers/grandfathers shaved with.

Being a buy in USA zealot there were two models I was looking for...

The Rockwell Model T adjustable

and the Rex Supply Ambassador

Why these two. I like gadgetry and the adjustable feature caught my eye.

Reading reviews though I kept seeing mention of some issues regarding their quality.

I also kept seeing two other things...

mention of the Merkur 34C

and "The Fatboy". everyone was posting comments like "Why cant we build something as nice as the Fatboy? It had the best materials and design."

Merkur 34C was an easy look up its a new made non adjustable German razor that apparently is perfect for novices. The price was particularly attractive but Im a principled man trying to buy Made in USA.

so what was "The Fatboy"?

The Fatboy is an out of production Gillette adjustable DE that began production in the 50s and ended at some point in the 60s best I can figure....

So surely these things are available some where?

Ebay is full of them that show some rust/honest use. The idea of using a razor Grandpa last ran over his balls didn't really appeal to me. Sure its a Gillette product but its from a time when Gillette was American. Gillette safety razors gained their purchase in American society when Gillette won the contract to supply soldiers fighting in WWII with shaving gear.

Digging deeper in my Google searches I found this...

Totally refurbed with a fresh nickle finish to prevent my facing having parts rubbed all over it that were last on some guys "parts".

Cheaper than the equivalent heavy duty US made current production also.

Now I have to find some blades to try out on my beautiful visage to determine best shave, of course avoiding Gillette in doing so will be required. Guessing Ill have to use German or Swede blades to supply my shave kit.

And when done shaving makes sure to splash on some of this...

As barber shops die in favor of "Styling Studios" I fear one day Ill not be able to get my standard $20 head shave followed up by this shit the barbers use.

Truth be told going to the barber is actually an enjoyable experience that I look forward to. Sitting on my ass either waiting to get a haircut and just reading the paper with an excuse to do nothing or talking politics with the 86 year old Italian origin American is truly enjoyable. I think I associated the smell of this shit with something I like doing besides.....

the absolute manliness of Bay Rum is sure to cause SJW primal fear sensations and by smell alone I introduce myself to them as not only their better but immovably opposed to them and their agenda.

Shave well men and buy more ammo.
www.timelessrazor.com ...I chose the Bronze Safety Razor + Feather blades. Excellent quality, built and made in USA. Feather Blades are made Japan but surgical quality... 8-10 shaves before having to change the blade.

Reactions: pmclaine