• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We got any drivers here? How do you keep from falling asleep?

Try a rest area glory hole.....receiving side only, not delivery.

Let us know if it works.
This is where the ginger works again as some unsuspecting dude sticks his johnson in and it starts stinging like hell.

Caffeine or some other stimulants. I also keep smelling salts in the vehicle for those times when things are bad but you need to keep driving. A little sniff of that ammonia will seriously clear your head.

I totaled a car when I was 18 driving back from vegas early in the mornings when I fell asleep on the highway. Rolled the car 3 times. Honestly, someone was watching out for me and my buddy as we were just bruised up. I’ve been pretty Sensitive to this ever since. I like to be a little bit cold, cold water, windows down a bit etc. caffeine is good but too much and you’ll crash (nonlinear intended). Listen to your body and stop when you start feeling drowsy or nodding off. Good luck.
Good advice here. I keep the heater on lightly to keep my feet warm and the widows open. Add icewater.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, as noted above, when you feel your eyelids begin to droop, find a safe place and STOP RIGHT THEN. Even a 5-10 minute shut eye will do wonders. If you're really crashing, stop and get a room. Its better to arrive a bit late then to end up dead.

did 947 miles in 17.5 hrs only stopped for fuel and to drop off some battery acid ;)

start your trip just before the sun comes up and fuel up the night b4

drink Guarana and Taurine before you get tired works well as a beta blocker

once the sun goes down sit behind a semi trailer or other big vehicle use them as an oversized bullbar if skippy or a deer decides to dance with traffic

also keep eating to a bare minimum and don't overdo it on the fluids

don't push it if u don't have to I was dealing with snap border closures and didn't wanna get stuck on the wrong side of the fence...

If you get sleepy pull over. Drink something caffeinated. Take like a 20- 30 min. nap. Caffeine kicks in Bam ready to go.
This. I use caffeine pills. No stops to take a shit. Take the amount you desire, quick nap while it hits, and go. Or take it the FIRST inclination of tired to get it working without a nap. I do this multiple times a week. Always works.

But fuck that driving while exhausted. It’s just death calling your name and someone else’s potentially.

Reactions: Maggot
I like to take a bag of sunflower seeds and a big cup to spit the shells in. Gives me a task to focus on when there is nothing else to do, plus you can "eat" them for hours without really filling up or eating a ton of junk
This works great for me.

Download Libby. Free audio books.
7E796ED2-D945-4BDC-878F-6F0CFA8D52DF.png

Reactions: lariat
Honestly a 20 minute nap if you are getting tired goes a long way. Otherwise redbull and lots of water. But then i piss a lot. 5hr energy is a great drink, but i can only drink 1/4 bottle at a time, 1/2 if i am super tired.

Good grief man.....you can become conditioned to driving serious distances. I drove a truck for almost 25 years. Never used any of those off the wall ideas. My solicited advice is to break the drive up into manageable parts. Best case is over 2 days! Certainly stop at rest areas for a quick walk and stretch. If you get tired, you should stop and take a cat nap. Simple as that. At times, I would imagine the drive as sections, or legs. First section would be perhaps 200 miles, next was 100 miles, third another 200...and so on. Don't overthink it.....much easier than using that stupid MIL theory...:rolleyes::LOL:.....make sure the vehicle is ready for the trip and keep a safe distance from other goons out there. I shit you not. How many morons do you see less than 2 seconds from the moron in front of them? All while doing 75 mph. Got a good spare tire? A jack? I certainly have not seen it all, but I have seen ALOT on the road. Traffic will move in packs. Try to stay away from them if possible. Close calls and a near miss at 70 mph+ will keep you wide awake if you're feeling like you really need a jolt! You'll be fine....just keep your foot in it...

Safe Travels!

Hello all,

Being that the hide consists of members in just about any type of profession, I figured I'd ask.

For those who drive long distances, do you have any tips?

I have a 13ish hour drive tomorrow and my biggest concern is falling asleep lol.

**ETA**
Also, if anyone knows of any good places to see or things to do around Fort Scott or Pittsburg Kansas, tell me about it.

Big Brutus in Pittsburg is really neat.

Reactions: Shanghai McCoy
So, is it better to stuff ginger or meth up your ass?

Will there be breaks to stop for lot lizards?

My record is Cheyenne to Chicago and back non stop. 36 hours.
A few years ago, Longview TX to Tahoe... 39 hours. Never again. Had to stick my head out the window every 10 minutes the last two hours.

My younger days, did 52 hours going cross country... Almost coast to coast one shot. Almost.

post edit: One trip, did 5,000 miles in 5 days - NY to Grand Canyon and back. Was 27 at the time though. The good ole days :cool:
Pulled over in Oklahoma doing 100, State Trooper comes up to the window and says "now I realize you got a hell of a tailwind pushing y'along, but you need to slow down son..." Explained we needed to get back to make a flight, and he let us go with a warning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Drove truck over the road for a few years. I never get sleepy driving a truck. Too busy watching the mirrors for idiots. But I do get sleepy driving a car long distances. As has been mentioned, as soon as you get tired, pull over and nap. I'm also a cold water fan and audio book fan.

I'm a smoker(tobacco), but I always get a can of dip for long trips. I've driven TX to CA, AZ, FL, WI, and a bunch of other long trips. Best thing is if you're getting tired around the 12-15hr mark, stop and take a 1/2 hr nap. Really makes a difference. Worst drive for me was central TX to central CA. 26hrs straight not including stops. I swear I saw dinosaurs alongside the road during the last couple hundred miles :)

Just punch yourself in the dick every time you start to nod off.

• Love
Reactions: Im2bent
I had to drive from Mackenzie B.C. to Winnipeg Mb. straight-through, once. For a funeral. 21.5 hrs straight.

I listened to practically every tape I had, some more than once. Coffee, sure.... but I also stopped in Saskatoon to pick up some Wake-Up's from a pharmacy. (Caffeine tablets) I had a hard time with the last 5 hours, believe me. Made it in time for the funeral though.

Then, just a few days later when I was about to go back, we had the storm of the century and it shut down the city for 3 days and the Provincial highways for 4 days (and some areas 5).

Back in '97, iirc.

Rest as needed.
Play some decent Heavy Metal music.
Pre start your vehicle, some snacks and drinks for yourself.
Also duct tape and cable ties for the hitch hikers you pick up.
3o6fJgotYsOrkA2G7S.gif

Hello all,

Being that the hide consists of members in just about any type of profession, I figured I'd ask.

For those who drive long distances, do you have any tips?

I have a 13ish hour drive tomorrow and my biggest concern is falling asleep lol.

**ETA**
Also, if anyone knows of any good places to see or things to do around Fort Scott or Pittsburg Kansas, tell me about it.

Last 10-12 hour stretch I listened to The Gulag Archepelago on audiobook. Nothing like hearing of commie atrocities against their own people to keep me wired up strong....

Or maybe it was this stuff....

Screenshot_20210918-222924_Chrome.jpg

Its perfectly legal.

Side effects include the urge to take things apart for no reason and throwing communists out of helicopters.

1. Get some decent sleep before. I've had 12 hour drives bug me less than 6 hour drives just because I wasn't burned out before I started.
2. Keep your eyes moving. I think one reason night driving is so bad is because on top of the obvious fatigue, you have tunnel vision staring straight ahead and it's even worse when you follow closely. I've noticed my depth perception gets worse too when I'm really tired.
3. Even a 10 minute nap makes a huge difference when you can't keep your eyes open. 60 mph is a mile a minute, so even at 120 mph you're only 20 miles behind where you would have been, but you won't feel like shit. Unless you've got a strict schedule to adhere to, a quick is nap hard to argue against.

buddy wanted to get home to va from fla after a 2 day match to miss less work. red bull, those caffeine pills, mountain dew. man he was peeing and throwing up on the side of the road every couple hours...

after a pretty late nite/early morning at the GF's a couple hours away i was super tired driving back. it was very cold outside. i had windows all the way down and radio blasted. i still should have pulled over and napped but fortunately made it home safely.

Thanks all...

I just arrived at my destination and I didnt feel it was bad at all. Never really had any major issues falling asleep. I don't smoke but someone suggested smoking so it gives me something to concentrate on. I think I had like 4 cigarettes in the whole trip. I also made three stops to urinate. I kept drinking water the whole time so I had the need to stop. I guess that worked.

I drive truck for a living, run 10 to 12+ hours every day. ( no hours of service comments needed, i still am able to run paper log and only run outlaw occasionally). I find coffee helps alot, phone conversations make the miles fly by, talk radio or comedy radio on sirus/xm, bouncing my legs for miles keeps the blood flowing, snacking helps (low cal small bite snacks that require lots of chewing), chewing gum, anything that keeps you as active as you can be while driving. My record in a truck ( years ago) is 1889 miles in 39 hours. was multiple legs all in Michigan. My best in a pick up was Meeker, Co to Saginaw, MI in 26 hours with a few food and fuel stops.

Reactions: worvin and Bender
My Chicago trip was 1,960 miles in 36 hours. There In a 96 caprice classic wagon with the LT1 v8, sold it to a collector, rented a mustang and drove back.

Thanks all...

I just arrived at my destination and I didnt feel it was bad at all. Never really had any major issues falling asleep. I don't smoke but someone suggested smoking so it gives me something to concentrate on. I think I had like 4 cigarettes in the whole trip. I also made three stops to urinate. I kept drinking water the whole time so I had the need to stop. I guess that worked.
What about the ginger... girl or plant??

If I start to get drowsy, I will pull off and find a good place to sleep. Lay the seat back and 15-20 minutes will get me back on track.

Serious side of things.....just stop and get some sleep.

Horrible accident a week or so ago.....guy got a flat tire with his fams in the car.

Unlike most places where people stop for these things he was in a relatively safe place....no guardrail, wide break down lane, had his truck mostly on the soft shoulder with only that necessary to support the jack on asphalt. Had his family exit the car for the woods while he did the tire change.

Guy fell asleep in the left lane drifted right and killed the tire changer in front of his family.

This was mid morning, daytime. No drugs or alcohol involved.

When coworkers arrived on scene the wife and 8 year old son were crying over the dad.

Sleepy guy was not injured physically but I bet he is permanently mentally injured.

• Angry
Reactions: shoobe01
I'm ok driving all night but as soon as the morning sun hits me in the face I will conk out.

I remember coming back from fishing one night and the sun popped up over the horizon and I went out like a light going down the highway. A buddy reached over and yanked the wheel over just as I was crossing the yellow stripe and nearly hitting another pickup head on.

When feeling tired, pull over for a 20min power nap.
20Mins is the magic number for a power nap as that's about how long it takes for you to go into REM sleep, and you want to stop just before going into REM sleep. As if you get to REM level, when you wake up, you'll have sleep inertia and will knock you around and make you feel even more sleepy.

For those who do long travel or even just long shifts, not in driving, and have regular fatigue, see your doctor and request a "sleep study" to see if you have sleep apnea.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Amphetamine. Get it from your buddies that have poorly behaved kids.
I always thought that was a joke some doctor played on asshole parents.

“Doctor - I can’t get timmy to sit down and shut the fuck up...”

“That’s all right Mrs Johnson. These amphetamines will calm him right down...”.

Door closes. Laughter ensues for hours.

Hours.

I totaled a car when I was 18 driving back from vegas early in the mornings when I fell asleep on the highway. Rolled the car 3 times. Honestly, someone was watching out for me and my buddy as we were just bruised up. I’ve been pretty Sensitive to this ever since. I like to be a little bit cold, cold water, windows down a bit etc. caffeine is good but too much and you’ll crash (nonlinear intended). Listen to your body and stop when you start feeling drowsy or nodding off. Good luck.
That's the best advice to me. Man, I start getting drowsy as hell when the car is warm. Add to that food. A big meal, and my body wants to shut down for a while. Lack of stimulation can turn to boredom and then to drowsiness.

So, the opposite of those things are: cool/cold interior (purposefully slighty uncomfortably cool/cold. Do not eat a big meal. Listening/jamming to music or talking to friends/fam. Caffeine helps, of course. And finally, I'm not in the least afraid to pull over and crash in my car/truck. Wake up and I'm back on the road immediately.

Different stokes for different folks but i always found it nearly impossible to sleep with a dip in or Red Bull. But calling someone always helped me too if i could talk to someone while driving it’s like it would light a spark and i wouldn’t feel tired.

I drove back home a couple of hundred miles off many night shifts and on occasion had pulled all nighters. Taking a break if you really can’t stop yourself from sleeping is also a good way to go.

Reactions: clcustom1911
If you go about about 30 miles north of Pittsburg, you can stop in at Fort Scott Munitions. Interesting store and they will tell you all the virtues of solid bullets. https://fortscottmunitions.com/

As for long drives, for me audio books, salty snacks and non sweetened ice tea to drink. Avoid sugar and energy drinks. My experience with energy drinks is you have to stop much more frequently to use a bathroom.

As others have said, stopping and walking around when tired or a quick power nap really help too.

Oh oh... plus, when I drive my pickup, I stop and gas up at +/- half-tank every time. Forces me to get out, walk around, pee, etc, etc. I also snack on corn nuts and other crunchy snacks.

I missed the OP's second bit.

Fort Scott. The /actual fort/ is perfectly neat. Very worth it to me. We see so many cartoon frontier forts in movies or they skip it and the cartoon Old West town has some Cavalry officers just appear, it is super interesting to see the the actual buildings, dressed right. I especially liked the guard room.

Pittsburgh was... not exciting. Nothing I can suggest there. For example, they had a big and very nice roundhouse and related shop stuff formerly for KCS. Never made it to museum status so it was a sort of ad hoc touring from outside they probably didn't even want you to do, then... they tore it all down :(

These guys are between the two and not far off the highway https://www.proudpyro.com/. Not just a "stop in and see," no store per se, but I have one in the back yard, love it, and we ordered online but went to pick it up vs shipping so if you have the pickup, room, wanted a better box to hold burning stuff (we replaced a Weber finally!) then coordinate that and snag up yours if it'll be ready by the time you can drive through.

SW of Pitt, Big Brutus. Very large steam shovel and associated museum.

Also between the two towns, and right off the road Miners Hall Museum.

And... much more stuff, yes much of it related to that. Old pit mining region.

Food! There are MANY billboards along the road for down home chicken restaurants. The good one they are all trying to be is this one, a bit south of Pitt, and right on the road.
Sit down (assuming open, doing sit down). Take your time. Check hours and be prepared to go to Pitt for fast food or quickie mart if closed or your time doesn't align.

Reactions: stello1001
Put a piece of ginger in your ass .

Did someone call?

E71647F9-E1F4-453C-A7FF-9400517D9112.jpeg

Seriously though, go to bed early, real early, get up early, real early, and leave at 4:00 in the morning. Watch the sunrise while you drive. By the time the sun comes up, you’ll be a long way from home, in a new area, with new sights to see to help keep you awake. Site see while you drive. Like someone said, keep your mind busy while you drive. The hardest time I have staying awake, is the first 2 to 3 hours of the trip. After that I can drive all day.

Good tips above. Also, when desperate to finish the mission, stuff your mouth with Red Man loose leaf chew. Also a bent safety pin jabbed into your thigh will buy you about another half hour or drive time, then jab again. A 10 minute nap with your pistol in you lap does wonders too, unless State Patrol walks up and knocks on the window, then you'll entirely forget you are tired.
I can vouch for this.

Drove from Fort St John, B.C. Canada to Anchorage, Alaska straight one time (35 hours). By far worst hang over of my life! Worse than any all nighter of booze, beer, and wine mixed. It was 1530 miles of light at the end of the tunnel drive. I was driving my wife to be, and 8 year old kid from Oregon to Alaska. Got woke up by a kind sole (sorry ehh) burning toast at the hotel in Fort St John at 4:30am. By the time it was getting dark in Canada I could envision Alaska on the horizon and didn't want to hear (sorry ehh) again, lol.

My tips for any long drive would be:
1 sour gummies
2 coffee
3 caffeine supplements
4 a DAMN good reason to drive incredibility to long ; )

I would never push it that far again but did what had to be done in the moment. Driving in Alaska can be exercise in patience. Went shooting with the wife and friends yesterday 2 hour drive one way. On the way home got delayed 3 hours by road construction (5 hour drive home).

Hope your drive was safe, and the juice was worth the squeeze!

Seriously guys. Alot if good coments. Some not so serious. But I see new skid marks every week on the highways I travel. Someone got tiered, someone was not paying attention, someone was playing on their phone. It can be life changing. Don't let it be you. All good people here do the smart thing pull over no shame in it.