• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best $700-$800 AR or AR setup

tburde_cpec

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2013
Michigan is home.
Gents,

I have a cousin wanting to get his first AR. His budged is only in the $700-$800 range (as per the boss "wife") I told him save a few hundred more and pick up a Colt 6920LE or S. Money isn't the issue wife is. He wants to take it down to the CMP and National Matches (Service rifle). So 1 in 7 barrel, no front flip up sights, quad rails etc.

I have had the pleasure of owning my first 6920 since the early 2000's....I added a free float tube, and a trigger and haven't given it a second thought since. I have no experience with the newer, cheaper ARs out there and I am wondering what your thoughts are on the more inexpensive types. I have heard good things about the Stag Model 2. Other option might be to have him pick up the parts and we can put it together. Thanks in advance.

OP,

First, Service Rifle rules require a 20 inch rifle barrel configuration with A2 butt stock. M4 configurations are not authorized and even if they were a stock M4 would be somewhat uncompetitive at the mid range stage. You can use either a fixed carry handle A2 or detachable carry handle A4 rifle. Internal modifications are permitted but the rifle must look like one as issued. Usually, modifications include a float tube under stock handguards, two stage trigger with total pull weight over 4.5 lbs., and a finer scaled rear sight. The stock barrel will work well for any working on an initial classification. If the barrel has a 1 in 9 twist, Hornady 75 grain open tip bullets can be used to reach out to the 600 yard stage without much of a compromise. The Colt HBAR has a 1 in 7 twist which could accommodate single loading of 80 grain bullets for mid range. Stock A2 and A4 rifles are not very popular today and thus are not stocked by most dealers. But a DPMS in A2 configuration is easily under eight hundred dollars.

Last edited:

That configuration is not authorized by CMP or NRA for Service Rifle Competition. The only thing the OP could do at the National Matches is enter the rifle phase of SAFS using an issued rifle and ammunition, or perhaps borrow an authorized rifle for any of the Service Rifle Tournaments.

OP,

First, Service Rifle rules require a 20 inch rifle barrel configuration with A2 butt stock. M4 configurations are not authorized and even if they were a stock M4 would be somewhat uncompetitive at the mid range stage. You can use either a fixed carry handle A2 or detachable carry handle A4 rifle. Internal modifications are permitted but the rifle must look like one as issued. Usually, modifications include a float tube under stock handguards, two stage trigger with total pull weight over 4.5 lbs., and a finer scaled rear sight. The stock barrel will work well for any working on an initial classification. If the barrel has a 1 in 9 twist, Hornady 75 grain open tip bullets can be used to reach out to the 600 yard stage without much of a compromise. The Colt HBAR has a 1 in 7 twist which could accommodate single loading of 80 grain bullets for mid range. Stock A2 and A4 rifles are not very popular today and thus are not stocked by most dealers. But a DPMS in A2 configuration is easily under eight hundred dollars.
QFT

While a $800 stock DPMS A2 is DCM legal he may not be really happy with it but it could be upgraded a bit a t a time.
By the time he upgrades the barrel, sights, trigger, and free float he would be better off squeezing the wife for a more realistic budget.
An entry level National Match upper half would blow most if not all his budget but would save $$ over a complete rifle.
If he is serious about CMP matches he should go to their forums. CMP Forums
Rock River has a good rep for entry level DCM rifles. My son picked a RRA NM A3 upper a few months ago for under $700 Rock River Arms: NM A2/A4 Upper Half
I used my C&R to buy a DPMS DCM upper years ago. Not bad but not my first recommendation. DCM
White Oaks entry level DCM are a good value, might be worth a call to see if they are taking orders. White Oak Armament | Complete Uppers | High Power Competition

Last edited:
That would indeed work. Just add an M1 sling and with practice a shooter could easily get to an expert classification without any modification to the rifle.
Marines do it with clapped out off the shelf rifles all the time. LOL

I've built several rifles from Del-ton and would put them up against any DPMS. Their 20" A3 kit is only $480 Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 20" Rifle Kit Upper is headspaced and test fired. The 1in9 twist could limit some bullets depending on who you talk to. Not a deal Breaker IMHO.
A lower from PSA for $49 Anderson Lower Receiver - Lower Receivers - Lower Parts - AR-15 would still leave budget for a NM carry handle http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=292 http://www.dpmsinc.com/Detachable-National-Match-Carry-Handle_p_2131.html and NM front sight post

Last edited: