• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I got a sweety pie yesterday!!

BugIn762

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
A friend of mine showed this to me about 6 months ago. I got pixie dust all over me and asked him if he ever decided to sell it to call me first.

It was his dad's 1000 yd gun from yesteryear.

20220926_151341.jpg

1957 born date Model 70 Target medium heavy barrel. 8 power Unertl (with caps!). Extremely clean with correct butt plate. 30-06 SPFLD.

I was thinking someone could appreciate it here.

20220926_151521.jpg

20220926_151614.jpg

20220926_151623.jpg
20220926_151356.jpg

BugIn

It's my first Unertl. Looking for instructions.

Aplace to start...

manualzz.com › doc › 8523795Unertl Instructions | Manualzz

Models – 1 ¼” Target, 1” Target 1) Loosen Lock ring one or two turns. 2) Rotate graduated ring to desired range setting. 3) Hold graduated ring in fixed position relative to scale and tighten lock
Neat thing is you can rotate the reticle to allow for natural cant.

I guess ideal is to rotate the tube in the rings but with a Unertl you can’t ( no pun intended).

The two screws on the ring marked with magnification, if loosened, allow you to rotate the reticle some.

Looking at your mounts I can’t tell if they are micrometer adjustable or capped.
@pre64win may have some info for you.

.795 at muzzle.

Cant' wait to burn some powder.

The reticle is a very small dot at the center intersection with 5 more progressively smaller dots running down the very thin vertical cross hair.

Seller said he thought they were at 200 yard increments.

How can I post this over to vintage rifles?

20220926_210346.jpg

Rear scope ring.

BugIn

Reactions: 338dude
Go ahead and tell us you paid 200 so we can really start crying.
I wish.

More like "Damn You paid what. You crazy."

The only lucky part is I got the opportunity. When I was doing my pre-buyers remorse analytics I put a tiny stack of hundreds on the bench and asked myself if would I rather look at that or fondle and shoot a pristine Pre 64 Target Model 70 any time I wanted to.

The "you crazy" side kicked in.

BugIn

.795 at muzzle.

Cant' wait to burn some powder.

The reticle is a very small dot at the center intersection with 5 more progressively smaller dots running down the very thin vertical cross hair.

Seller said he thought they were at 200 yard increments.

How can I post this over to vintage rifles?

View attachment 7964369
Rear scope ring.

BugIn
Those are called "de-horned" turrets. Be aware the hex caps are left-hand threaded. The knurled knobs are for adjustment. This ring was fairly common on the 1 1/2" varmint model. The description of your reticle with the hold-over dots might be very rare.

Damn, 51 years ago I could have made really, Really, REALLY good use of that fine rifle. Had a 1000 meter free fire zone and lots of…(well you had to be there to appreciate what I am thinking)

That is a beautiful rifle. It is so hard to find good examples of anything made before 1975 that is still in excellent condition. Even the popularly priced rifles and handguns had a premium finish and fitting.

Wow, that is one sweet piece right there, I’d say that is a score of a lifetime, Congrats.

If any of the moving parts are locked up wrap both sides of the tube adjacent to the moving parts with rubber bands and it will give you the grip needed to free it up.

Getting organized to go old school.View attachment 7972504
Stop thinking 308.
30-06 loves heavy bullets, every one I have shot or owned started coming to life at 180 grain and most did better with 190's.
Remember also, Whitefeather used a Winnie heavy barreled 30-06 pre 64 mod 70 for most of his kills.
I have some very old Nosler 180 grain partitions that my '06 loves....they are from the 50's and have obvious machining marks where they were cut on a lathe. Very old yellow box Noslers. I've punched a few pieces of paper at 300 yards under an inch for 5.
Seriously wish I could find some more of those.

58.0 grains of H4350.
168 gr, ELD Match
Lapua brass
3.23 COL
20221106_160822.jpg

1 inch squares. Cold bore. Five shots. Last shot spoiler at 2 o'clock. 100 yds.

Groups are better if you move the scope back to battery after each shot. :cool:

Not bad for a 65 year old and a 72 year old.

BugIn

Congrats, that is a fine rifle , looks like you have a shooter also . Looks like those 168s are something it is going to like .

Stop thinking 308.
30-06 loves heavy bullets, every one I have shot or owned started coming to life at 180 grain and most did better with 190's.
Remember also, Whitefeather used a Winnie heavy barreled 30-06 pre 64 mod 70 for most of his kills.
I have some very old Nosler 180 grain partitions that my '06 loves....they are from the 50's and have obvious machining marks where they were cut on a lathe. Very old yellow box Noslers. I've punched a few pieces of paper at 300 yards under an inch for 5.
Seriously wish I could find some more of those.
You must have had some real duds if they only "came to life" at 180 grains .I have 30-06s that shoot 125 Sierra Pro-Hunters , 110 VMax, , 115 Bergers, etc . all very well . Well enough to win BR competitions , just saying .

Damn, 51 years ago I could have made really, Really, REALLY good use of that fine rifle. Had a 1000 meter free fire zone and lots of…(well you had to be there to appreciate what I am thinking)

That is a beautiful rifle. It is so hard to find good examples of anything made before 1975 that is still in excellent condition. Even the popularly priced rifles and handguns had a premium finish and fitting.
Carlos Hathcock ( White Feather ) used a Winchester 70 with an 8X Unertl.